UK - Lucy Letby Trial - Media, Maps & Timeline *NO DISCUSSION*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"She assaulted his abdomen, causing his liver to rupture and bleed internally, before injecting air into his stomach and circulation, blocking blood flow to his heart, he claimed.

Within minutes of his death, the barrister said, she was sabotaging his brother, known as Baby P, by overfeeding him milk and injecting air into his feeding tube before she clocked off for the day.

On her way home, Mr Johnson said, Letby ‘lay the ground’ for his murder on her shift at the Countess of Chester Hospital in Chester the following day by ‘gas-lighting’ her colleagues in text messages, writing that she was ‘worried’ as the siblings were ‘identical’."

[...]

PROSECUTION CLOSING SPEECH - Wednesday 21st June 2023

Day 3 - Morning Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 21 - prosecution closing speech

10:34am

Nicholas Johnson KC resumes the closing speech for the prosecution, starting with the final part for the case of twins Child A and B.
Medical expert Dr Sandie Bohin said Child A had been stable, and the misplaced UVC [line] "had no bearing" on his collapse.
She said Child A had received an air embolus. In cross-examination, it was suggested she could not exclude genetic causes for the death of Child A. She replied she did not know of any genetic condition that causes a baby to collapse and die within 24 hours of birth.
Mr Johnson says Letby's case "floats the spectre of possibilities" without going into specifics.

10:38am

Mr Johnson said dehydration was also ruled out as a possible cause of death for Child A.
Asked about an 'innocent air embolus' via the catheter, Dr Bohin said she had "never heard of it happening in a neonatal unit" due to the equipment used.
For Child B, Dr Bohin had said the baby was "in good shape". She concluded Child B had received an air embolus.

10:42am

Mr Johnson says the jury has an advantage over medical experts, in that they can look at all the pieces of evidence presented in the case, including Letby's Facebook searches for the parents, her presence on the unit, standing by babies, and there being a "poisoner at work" on the unit, to draw conclusions. "It's the cumulative evidence", Mr Johnson says is key.
He says Child A and Child B had similar skin discolourations, and a "concession" from Letby that "if we agree", that Child A died of an air embolus.

Mr Johnson said Lucy Letby "migrated" to room 1 shortly before Child B's collapse, to use the word of Kathryn Percival-Ward.

10:46am

Mr Johnson turns to the case of Child C.
He says Dr John Gibbs first gave evidence on Halloween 2022. He was asked if Child C should have been treated at a tertiary centre. Dr Gibbs replied it depended on what caused Child C's collapse. He denied that in any event it would have been more suitable for Child C to be treated there.
Mr Johnson says there has been no evidence presented to suggest the babies in this case would have been better treated at a tertiary unit. [The Countess of Chester Hospital being a Level 2 unit at the time].
Mr Johnson says the jury should ask if there had been any specific shortcomings for the babies in each case.
He says the babies would have been better off away from Lucy Letby. He says that may have been what Dr Gibbs meant.

10:53am

Mr Johnson says Child C, a baby boy, was "born in good condition" and "made good progress" and was "handling well".
A nursing family communication note on June 12, for 6.30pm, 'parents spent most of the day with [Child C]...enjoyed kangaroo care most of the afternoon' - Mr Johnson says this was a good sign.
Dr Kathryn Davies was asked about traces of bile found. She was asked, in evidence, if that was a sign the baby would later collapse. She replied: "Absolutely not." Mr Johnson tells the court she said Child C's abdomen was soft, and if he had an abdominal problem, it would be sore, but he was handling well, and his other observations were stable, which was why he had been out for kangaroo care.
By June 13, 2015, Child C was given tiny milk feeds 'to get things moving' in the gut.

10:55am

"Witness after witness" gave evidence to say the bile aspirates were "very small", and the "black colour" was "altered blood", not bile. Dr Gibbs said the blood had come from inflammation in the stomach, and Child C was given a drug to treat that.
Mr Johnson says the jury know, as a fact, from Dr Andreas Marnerides, that Child C did not have a problem with his gut, as there was no sign of infection or sepsis. There was no evidence of Child C having had an obstruction in his bowel.
"This is not a case of NEC," he adds.

10:59am

Nurse Yvonne Griffiths described Child C as an active baby who was "happiest" when receiving kangaroo care, and nurse Sophie Ellis said Child C was "feisty".
Mr Johnson says all the treating staff for Child C said he was doing very well - on the three days Letby was not on the unit.
He says within a few hours of Letby coming on to the unit, Child C collapsed, and within a few hours of that collapse, died.
Mr Johnson said Dr Gibbs could not explain how Child C's heart could have restarted after the collapse, as it did not follow any natural disease process.

11:13am

Dr Sally Ogden said Child C's abdomen was, on June 13, soft. Mr Johnson says he was "doing well" as observations were normal and he was put on to Optiflow, having gone off CPAP breathing support.
Letby's nursing colleague suggested to Letby that the baby in room 3 was more of a priority as that baby had breathing difficulties, than Child C in room 1.
"Lucy Letby was not happy about being in nursery room 3," Mr Johnson says.
Letby texted colleague Jennifer Jones-Key: "I keep thinking about Mon. Feel like I need to be in 1 to overcome it but [colleague] said no"
"Not the vented baby necessarily, I just feel I need to be in 1 to get the image out of my head. Mel said the same and [colleague] let her go. Being in 3 is eating me up, all I can see is him in 1 x"
Mr Johnson says the baby who was not vented would be Child C.
Mr Johnson says there was no reason for Letby to be in room 1.
Letby texted Jennifer Jones-Key: "Yeah I've done couple of meds in 1. I'll be fine X"
Mr Johnson says this is something Letby has since revised in her evidence.
The neonatal schedule shows Letby being a co-signer for babies in room 3. Mr Johnson says it "stretches the definition" to suggest
Mr Johnson says it was "repeatedly" questioned whether Sophie Ellis - "the new girl" as was "up to the mark" to look after Child C. Three nurses dismissed that suggestion.
Mr Johnson says in cross-examination that was taken up with Letby.
NJ: "The person who had what you wanted wasn't sufficiently qualified for the job?"
LL: "No, Sophie wasn't, I think, in the correct position to care for [Child C]."
NJ: "Why was that?"
LL: "She was recently qualified, she didn't have the skills."
LL: "She didn't have experience of premature babies, babies like [Child C]."
LL: "I am not saying Sophie caused anything with [Child C], she was just the least experienced. She had very little experience with premature babies."
NJ: "So she had something you wanted?"
LL: "No."
Mr Johnson asks the jury what Sophie Ellis failed to do that a senior nurse would have done. He says there is no evidence of anything, and asks why that suggestion was made to three nurses in cross-examination.
He says it is trying to create "something seriously wrong at the hospital" and is "gaslighting" the jury.

11:19am

Mr Johnson says the series of text messages, and its content in relation to , suggests Letby was not rushed off her feet but had "death on her mind" and sabotaged Child C.
Sophie Ellis aspirated Child C's stomach and found a small amount of green bile. There was no air or anything else, Mr Johnson says. She left the room and within a short amount of time, the alarm went off.
Upon her return, Letby was standing by Child C, and Letby said words to the effect of: "He's just had a brady/desat".
Nurse Melanie Taylor was challenged "repeatedly" on her account of the event. She said she remembered Letby being "at the centre of events". She said she was "surprised how cool and calm" Letby was.
Dr Kathrine Davies was 'crash bleeped' to the room. There were no heart sounds or respiration, and this was "very unusual". She said even with the smallest, sickest babies [who had collapsed], there would be some heart beat, or respiration rate, but with Child C there was "nothing at all".
During intubation, Child C's vocal cords were seen by Dr Davies to be swollen. Mr Johnson says that is found in five of the babies' cases, in Child E, Child G, Child H and Child N.
"Somebody put something down [Child C's] throat. Who do you think that was?"

11:25am

Dr Gibbs said if there had been an abdominal obstruction, there would have been 'repeated vomiting'.
Child C's parents had given evidence in an agreed statement, when Child C had started breathing after being baptised.
"We held him for hours...and he was given another dose of morphine."
The 'rally' of survival lasted "a long time", Mr Johnson says.
He says during the time with the family, they were interrupted by a nurse the father believed to be Letby. The father recalled the nurse said words to the effect of: "You've said your goodbyes now, do you want to put him in here?"
A nursing colleague had told Letby 'more than once' to look after her designated baby, as she had been going 'in and out' of the family room.
Mr Johnson asks why Letby had a fascination with that room, and cites her behaviour as noted in the cases of Child I and Child P.
"It is not an innocent coincidence."
He says Letby, in cross-examination, "could not give a plausible reason" why she kept going into that family room instead of looking after her designated baby that night.

11:29am

Text messages between Letby and a colleague were exchanged on June 30, 2015:
Colleague: "Yeah. There's something odd about that night and the other 3 that went so suddenly."
LL: "What do you mean?
"Odd that we lost 3 and in different circumstances?"
C: I dunno. Were they that different?
C: Ignore me. I'm speculating
LL: Well Baby C was tiny, obviously compromised in utero. Baby D septic. It's Baby A I can't get my head around
C: Was she definitely septic. Did the PM confirm?
LL: I don't think the full PM is back yet. Debrief is next week but Im away.
C: When's Baby A's? They were talking of doing a joint one for all 3 as all close together and similar in being full arrests in babies that were essentially stable. Dunno if they are doing tho.
LL: Ah not sure but Baby C's is Thursday and Baby D next week
LL: No mention of Baby A"

11:38am

Mr Johnson says Dr Dewi Evans was justifiably criticised for not giving a cause of death for Child C in written evidence, then giving a cause in the witness box.
He says if anyone was [c]aught by surprise, he returned to give evidence on 14 more occasions.
Mr Johnson says Dr Evans's evidence can be disregarded if there had been any confusion for this case, as Dr Marnerides had given more detailed evidence on this.
Dr Bohin excluded the possibility of a bowel obstruction.
Dr Marnerides said there was "nothing unusual" about Child C's bowel. He concluded Child C died "with pneumonia not from pneumonia" and the gas in the bowel could not be explained by infection or an abnormality in the bowel.
He said "air must have been injected into the nasogastric tube", splinting the diaphragm, which would have compromised Child C's breathing and killed him.
He added: "I have never in the past 10 years, come across even a suggestion that 'CPAP belly' would lead to the deterioration of a baby, let alone this gastric distention that would lead to [a baby's death]."
Mr Johnson says Child C came off CPAP 12 hours before his collapse, and "did so well" after kangaroo care he was put on to Optiflow, a 'much less invasive method of breathing support, and his NG Tube had been aspirated shortly before his collapse, and no air was found.
Dr Marnerides described "massive" gastric distention, using the word "ballooning".

11:46am

Mr Johnson says Letby's interviews are very important in this case.
Letby had said her only involvement with Child C was with his resuscitation. She said she did not remember being the nurse who fed him. She claimed she was not the person who discovered Child C collapsing. She said rough notes on the resuscitation would be transposed into medical notes and then disposed of.
She confirmed she had contact with Child C's family when Child C was dying.
She would not accept Sophie Ellis's account of her 'standing over' Child C.
When asked why she would have been in room 1, Letby said perhaps she was checking the resus trolley, or getting drugs for her baby, or using the computer.
Mr Johnson says 'why would you be checking the resus trolley?' and 'why would you use a computer in the dark'?
Letby was asked about the text message conversation with Jennifer Jones-Key. NJ: "She claimed, unbelievably, she didn't know what that conversation was about or where she was [when that text conversation took place].
"We say that is incredible, that is not believable."
Of the message 'being in 3 is eating me up', Letby accepted she was frustrated she was not in nursery 1.
NJ: "She [Letby] accepted she was in room 1 at the time of the collapse, that she was the only staff member there, and she was feeling frustrated and upset."
In the 2020 police interview, Letby said she did not remember being involved with Child C's family after Child C's collapse. She said she "wasn't sure" why she had searched for Child C's family on Facebook.
She said she "didn't specifically remember what she was thinking" prior to the collapse of Child C.

11:50am

Mr Johnson says the collapse and death is "inconsistent" with all natural causes, according to the medical evidence.
Letby was in her own interview 'angry and frustrated' about not being in room 1.
NJ: "She started the interview process by lying about where she was and the reasons for being in room 1"
Child C had "massive ballooning of the stomach" and "it's obvious what happened" even without the context of the other cases.
NJ: "It's as plain as the nose on your face that Lucy Letby must have injected air down the nasogastric tube [into Child C].
"It was one of her favourite ways of trying to kill children in this case."
Mr Johnson says there is a "constellation of coincidences" that can make the jury sure Child C did not die of natural causes and that Lucy Letby killed him.

12:06pm

The trial is now resuming after a short break.
Mr Johnson turns to the case of Child D. He says letby "didn't really remember" the baby girl, as she had said that in police interview.
He says the absence from the paperwork of her involvement would "give her plausible deniability".
He says "thanks to the hard work of the police", they can put her in the room.
He says Letby's interview is undermined by the rota diagram putting her in room 1 on the night shift [with Child D], and for her searching for the parents' names on Facebook. He says Letby could have got the names from the handover sheets - but the handover sheets do not have the parents' names on them.
Mr Johnson says this is similar to Child K, when Letby searched for the parents on Facebook 26 months after Child K's time on the neonatal unit. Letby said she could not explain it. Mr Johnson says that is a lie.
NJ: "Why won't she tell you the truth?"

12:13pm

Mr Johnson says there is "no doubt" Child D and her mother suffered sub-optimal care, but her progress went "upward" upon her transfer to the neonatal unit.
Child D was "stable" with "minimal" oxygen support, and "responding well to treatment". The court had previously heard evidence Child D was on CPAP, "responsive when handled" and her "chest was clear" with "regular respiratory effort". He[r] abdomen was "soft and non-distended".
Mr Johnson turns to the night shift on June 21-22, 2015. Mr Johnson says June 22 was Father's Day that year.
Child D's designated nurse Caroline Oakley also had a designated baby in room 2. Child D was in room 1. Letby's designated baby in room 3 from the Child C case was now in room 1, again as Letby's designated baby (along with one other baby in room 1).
Child D's observations were "all completely normal" according to Caroline Oakley, and she was "breathing beautifully in air", with 100% oxygen saturation - "the highest they can be". Mr Johnson says this couldn't be better for a child with pneumonia.

12:19pm

Dr Andrew Brunton said the plan was for Child D to start receiving milk.
Mr Johnson says there were no problems until Caroline Oakley left the room for a break. He cites other cases when this happened of staff members who left and babies collapsed.
The alarm went off and when Kathryn Percival-Ward arrived, she found Letby in room 1. She said, in cross-examination, she "couldn't be certain".
Mr Johnson says who else could it have been? Who else had children to care for in that room?
He says it wasn't any of the other nurses on duty that night - one was looking after babies in room 2, and another was Elizabeth Marshall, a nursery nurse, who said she saw Letby doing chest compressions on Child C [my note - D?] in room 1.
Kathryn Percival-Ward said the rash on Child D was "something she had never seen before". In cross-examination, she was accused of "adding detail" to the skin discolouration description. Mr Johnson says it was in the original recording she had made to police, a "mosaic, a mottling colour of blotchiness".
Caroline Oakley recalled being called back to room 1 by Kathryn Percival-Ward and Lucy Letby.

12:27pm

Mr Johnson had asked Letby, in cross-examination, why she was writing in Child D's chart.
Letby said she "could not comment" if she had been in room 1 throughout.
The timing on the neonatal schedule, shown to the court, says the note was made at the time of Child D's collapse.
Mr Johnson says an observation reading for Child D is timed 1.15am on June 22, written by Caroline Oakley. Those details were "told to her by the girls". Mr Johnson asks who 'of the girls' would have provided those readings.
Mr Johnson says Letby did not want the paperwork to attach her to the case of Child D, and that was why she minimised her involvement in police interview.
A blood gas chart for Child D at 1.14am is not signed. Letby, in cross-examination, said: "I don't know" when asked if it was in her writing. Letby accepted the elevated '14' on '0114' is in her style of writing.
Letby said the lack of a signature was an "error", and said the following entry was also unsigned, and happens "from time to time".
Mr Johnson says it's the timing of this absent signature which is "the power of circumstantial evidence".

12:33pm

Mr Johnson says Letby gave an IV infusion to Child D 5 minutes before the baby collapsed. It was signed for by her and Caroline Oakley. Ms Oakley said she couldn't explain the signature as she was on her break.
She described the rash on Child D as something she had not seen before in her 20+ years of working with neonates. She described it as: "a deep red brown - different from mottling, different to what I had seen before".
Dr Emily Thomas said in agreed evidence that Child D came out in a rash, which faded after treatment. Mr Johnson says the description she provided was "remarkably similar" to that provided by others, but wasn't challenged on it.
Dr Brunton said Child D had "developed a rash". In his notes: 'Nurses noted that became extremely mottled +++
'Also noted to have tracking lesions - dark brown/black across trunk.'
Mr Johnson says this explains "I don't remember". He says if Letby had remembered Child D, she would also have to admit it was either her or somebody else in the room with her that gave this description to Dr Brunton.
Letby had said, several times: "I don't remember that being discussed at the time."
Mr Johnson says it was recorded here.

12:36pm

Dr Brunton said the collapse was " a completely unusual situation I had never seen before", with changes in the skin colour which could not be explained.
Dr Elizabeth Newby described two 'bruised areas' on Child D's abdomen, 'like evolving purpura'.

12:46pm

Mr Johnson says the similar descriptions given by the doctors and nurses of the discolouration [are] because the causes of the collapses was the same.
Child D's discolouration had gone by 2.35am.
Dr Brunton noted the skin discolouration "reappeared" at the second collapse.
Mr Johnson: "What are the chances?"
At 3.45am, Child D had a third and fatal collapse. Dr Thomas said she was with another baby, when she was alerted by a nurse 'with brown hair' and believed she was the designated nurse for Child D, and believed she had also been the designated nurse for Child A.
Dr Thomas said Letby had said: "This is my second baby this has happened to me," and was upset. Mr Johnson says even here, Letby was associating what happened to Child D with what happened to Child A.
Dr Brunton had "never seen a baby behave like this" prior or since.
Dr Brunton was "struck" by Child D's rapid collapses and recoveries.
Mr Johnson says Dr Brunton [didn't?] say, because he didn't know, that the collapses were similar to other children in this case.
Mr Johnson says 'it tells you' Child D was sabotaged, and Letby was lying when she said she didn't remember.

12:51pm

Mr Johnson says Letby's interviews were unremarkable, but said of babies' deaths in evidence: "You don't forget things like that, they stay with you.
Mr Johnson asks if this is the same case as someone who doesn't remember a baby collapsing three times and dying. He asks if Letby was trying to gain sympathy from the jury.
Mr Johnson said Letby said in police interview if the events of Child D upset her: "I honestly can't remember"

12:58pm

Letby said in a message to a colleague on June 22, 2015: '[Child D] collapsed & had full resus. So upsetting for everyone. Parents absolutely distraught, dad screaming'. Mr Johnson says this was on Father's Day.
He says Letby, from the text messages, did remember Child D.
Prof Owen Arthurs said, in evidence, the minor infection in Child D was improving. He added one of the lines of gas, in the post-mortem examination, was "highly unusual" and had similar findings in Child A and Child O. He said he had 'never seen so much air' [in the great vessels].
Another medical expert, Dr Marnerides, had ruled out sepsis, and concluded Child D was killed by an air embolus.
Dr Sandie Bohin said Child D was recovering from pneumonia, and the speed of the collapse was "very unusual and not indicative of infection". She concluded the cause of the collapse was air embolus. Child D's distress and rash description supported her opinion. She rejected the evidence that taking Child D off CPAP caused her death.
Dr Dewi Evans viewed the case as one where the air embolus was the "only viable cause" of death. He was cross-examined about the blood gas record for Child D. Mr Johnson says Dr Bohin had given evidence to say that blood gas record was "satisfactory".

Day 3 - Morning Session

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue
·
3h

Prosecutor Nick Johnson KC is on his feet at Manchester Crown Court as he begins day three of his closing speech in the murder trial of Lucy Letby. The nurse is accused of killing seven babies and attempting to kill a further 10 between 2015 and 2016, she denies all charges

·
3h

Mr Johnson is taking the jury back over what was said in each case. He starts with Child B this morning. The girl required some resuscitation at birth but recovered quickly, she was the twin sister of Child A and collapsed on 10 June 2015, 28 hours after her brother's death.

3h

Child B recovered and was eventually discharged a month later. Medical experts for the prosecution agreed she was subjected to "some form of sabotage" and may have been injected with air

3h

Mr Johnson tells the jury when looking at the case of Child B to 'put all the pieces of the jigsaw together' - he says the 'the cumulative picture' is key, 'we say it's inexplicable' and says the only conclusion is Ms Letby 'tried to murder or murdered these children'

·
2h

Mr Johnson is now moving to Child C. Prosecutors said Ms Letby, who was then designated nurse for a child in nursery three, was in his nursery at the time and caused his collapse by inserting air into his stomach via a nasogastric tube.

He was pronounced dead on 14 June 2015

·
2h

Mr Johnson asks the jury, in each case, to consider what 'alleged failure or shortcoming' cause these children to die or collapse.

He adds 'the evidence has shown these children would have been better off anywhere else other than with Lucy Letby'

2h

Mr Johnson takes the jury back over evidence which shows that Ms Letby was assigned the care of a baby in nursery three on the night Child C collapsed. He was in nursery one on that shift

2h

Mr Johnson says Child C was assigned to another nurse. He says 'there was no reason therefore for Lucy Letby to be in nursery one'

2h

In text exchanges with a colleague, Ms Letby expresses frustration at not being in nursery one - she also comments on the fact Child C had been assigned to 'the new girl'

2h

In one message, Ms Letby says she had just been in nursery one to do meds - however on the neonatal review, which records meds prescribed, Ms Letby was not in there prior to sending that message

2h

Mr Johnson points out that Ms Letby's defence counsel, Ben Myers KC, repeatedly questioned witnesses about the 'new girl' - nurse Sophie Ellis - that Ms Letby had referred to. He says it was insinuated she was not qualified to be looking after Child C

2h

He says all witnesses rejected this and no evidence was produced to show she was not qualified.

'It’s trying to create in the impression in your minds that something was seriously wrong with the hospital…it’s gaslighting you, doing to you what Lucy Letby did to her colleagues'

2h

Mr Johnson reminds the jury of evidence from Ms Ellis, who said when Child C collapsed she arrived in nursery one to find Lucy Letby 'standing over' him. Another nurse, who attended, said Ms Letby was at the 'centre of events'

2h

Mr Johnson says 'someone had put something down (Child C's) throat' and points to the back of the court - 'she’s sitting in the dock'

1h

Mr Johnson says, from the evidence, 'it is plain as the nose on your face that Lucy Letby must have injected air down (Child C's) NG tube…it was one of her favourite ways of killing and trying to kill children in this case'

1h

We're now moving to Child D. On 21 and 22 June 2015, she collapsed several times and despite resuscitation attempts, was pronounced dead.

Medical experts for the prosecution agreed her deterioration and an unusual rash were caused by an injection of air

1h

Mr Johnson says Ms Letby 'claimed to you (the jury) that she doesn’t really remember (Child D)…she said that to you because that’s what she told police in interview, she said that because she thought the absence of her name on paperwork gave her plausible deniability'

1h

'What she didn’t realise is the fact that through the hard work of the police, they can put her in the room', he said

1h

Mr Johnson has been taking the jury back over what various nurses and doctors, responding to Child D when she collapsed, said in regards to the unusual rash/mottling on her body

1h

He says Ms Letby has often said in evidence that she does not remember that being discussed at the time - but Mr Johnson pulls up a note from a doctor, in which he notes that nurses had reported unusual mottling

56m

Mr Johnson quotes Ms Letby's police interview, in which she said she did not remember Child D - and then he says 'without a hint of irony' told police, when they asked what impact a death like this had on staff, 'you don’t forget things like that, they stay with you'

Day 3 - Afternoon Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 21 - prosecution closing speech

2:05pm

The trial is now resuming after its lunch break.
Mr Johnson says he is turning to the case of Child G, on three counts of attempted murder.

2:08pm

Child G was the most premature of all the babies, with the lowest birth weight. He says Child G's mother's name is not the easiest to spell - the reason why he mentions that is clear to the jury.
Child G had the "grossest misfortune to meet Lucy Letby" when she was transferred to the Countess of Chester Hospital, Mr Johnson says. He refers to Child G's 100th day of life on September 7, 2015, when a banner was up, and a cake had been baked to mark the occasion.
He says on that day, she suffered a severe brain injury which has left her dependent on her parents.

2:15pm

Mr Johnson says all the experts agree Child G was in a "very satisfactory position" prior to her collapse. He says "odd coincidences do happen in life - but do you believe in coincidences in this?"
Mr Johnson says Letby knew Child G's 100th day, and the premature baby's due date.
Mr Johnson says Dr Evans had described Child G's vomit on September 7 was "extraordinary" and nurses had described the extent of the vomit was something they had never seen before.
He says there are two choices - that Child G was sabotaged by being overfed, or having tolerated escalating amounts of milk, she then vomited with unprecedented force due to an infection which no staff had ever seen present itself before or since.
"Some people say there is a first time for everything" Mr Johnson says, but adds this is "no naturally occurring event" and has been seen in several other babies' cases including Child C, Child J, Child K and Child N.

2:32pm

Mr Johnson says nursing notes showed a 'normal baby, feeding properly' in the hours before Child G's vomit on September 7. At 8pm on September 6, nursing colleagues said Child G was stable and well.
A staffing rota for the night is shown for September 6-7 - "a quiet night", and Child G received a full feed from a bottle at 11pm and was "thriving". Mr Johnson says "little babies don't take full feeds from bottles unless they are happy little babies."
He says Letby has "massaged the times", as she had done in several other cases. Mr Johnson says the prosecution suggest the vomit was at 2.30am, not 2.15am.
Nursing colleague Ailsa Simpson initially said she was with Letby when Child G projectile vomited at 2.15am, and if that was true, Letby could not have been the cause of it. In a subsequent interview, she said she didn't know where the other nurses were.
Mr Johnson says Letby's nursing note on September 7 includes: Care given from 0200 to present. [Child G] had large projectile milky vomit at 0215.'
Mr Johnson says it's an interesting line that Letby had given care from 2am. He says this note is written six-and-a-half hours later, and the jury should take that with care, especially with Letby, as she "habitually misrecorded" information.
Mr Johnson says Child G wouldn't have tolerated a 45ml milk feed under gravity if the stomach was already containing undigested milk.
He says Ailsa Simpson's original account does not correspond with the neonatal review, as Ailsa Simpson fed a different child in room 1 at 2.20am [Child G being in room 2]. That child was "demanding food", Mr Johnson says, and that takes time.
Medication was co-signed for Child G at 1.42am by Ailsa Simpson, and another child at 2.13am. Mr Johnson says all this material shows she was busy at this time, and "cannot be accurate" with the 2.15am timing of the event.
Dr Alison Ventress recorded Child G was 'called to r/v [Child G] urgently at 2.35am...[Child G] had very large projectile vomit (reaching chair next to cot and canopy)'.
Mr Johnson says Dr Ventress was called urgently as Child G suffered a catastrophic brain inury, and the doctor arrived within minutes as they would not wait around.
Mr Johnson says Ailsa Simpson was distracted in room 1, her colleague had gone on a break, and that gave Letby "the perfect time" to sabotage Child G, and misrepresent it in the notes.

2:40pm

Mr Johnson says the longer the gap between the feed and vomit, the less likely the feed would be the reason for the vomit.
Dr Ventress said Child G's abdomen appeared "purple and distended" upon her return to see Child G after the vomit.
A "large watery stool passed", after which Child G's abdomen was "slightly better". Mr Johnson says this was not the situation earlier, when she had taken on a feed by a nursing colleague.
Mr Johnson says Child G was force-fed milk and air, injecting by using the plunger in the syringe.
He says Letby "took advantage" of taking on Child G's care. Dr Ventress was later called out of theatre to intubate Child G, and noted blood-stained secretions coming from the vocal cords.
Dr Stephen Brearey, asked about Child G's deteriorations on the ventilator, said: "I can't explain that - it's unusual for babies to desaturate on ventilators...the fact that Dr Ventress was getting chest movement [from Child G] was perplexing, and I cannot think of a natural cause of why that would happen."
Mr Johnson say the truth was it was "an unnatural process" by Letby.

2:42pm

Mr Johnson asks what would cause Child G's throat to bleed, as similar to the cases of child E, Child N, Child O and Child H. He says it was sabotage by Letby.
NJ: "It is a signature of many of her attacks on these babies".

2:51pm

After 6am on September 7, 100ml of air/fluid was aspirated from Child G. Mr Johnson says the only source of that was from Lucy Letby, who had caused the baby a "devastating brain injury".
After that, Child G's saturation levels improved and she did not have issues with her stomach. Mr Johnson says what was vomited and aspirated was nothing to do with infection.
Mr Johnson says Dr Sandie Bohin [my note - said Child G] had been "very stable" prior to the collapse. The pH reading showed Child G's stomach was empty and discounted the possibility of there being undigested milk. If there had been an infection, there would have been 'subtle markers' present in observations. She rejected the suggestion by Letby in interview that Child G swallowed air when vomiting.
Dr Bohin said Child G was "extraordinarily premature" and an observation of 'blood-stained secretions was down to the use of a tube on June 14, 2015.
Letby, in interview, remembered her colleague was on a break and would not have left Child G alone. Letby suggested the vomit "had not left the cot". Mr Johnson says this is at odds with agreed evidence and and a note made at the time by Dr Ventress.
Letby said she had "seen [Child G] vomiting."

2:54pm

Upon Child G's return to the Countess of Chester Hospital [having been transferred to Arrowe Park Hospital for several days], she "had the misfortune", Mr Johnson says, to be in Letby's care on September 21, her due date.

3:01pm

On September 21, Letby was designated nurse for Child G and two other babies in room 4.
Letby said in a nursing note that at 10.15am, Child G 'produced two large projectile milky vomits...'
Mr Johnson says Child G had been sabotaged again by Letby, shortly after recording 'entirely normal' observations.
Child G's abdomen was noted to be 'more distended than usual'.
Mr Johnson says Letby "misrepresented" what the situation was when she texted a nursing colleague that night, saying Child G 'looked rubbish when I took over this morning' and she had inherited a problem, which Mr Johnson says "was untrue".
Mr Johnson says if Child G did look so bad, she would have referred her to a doctor first before feeding.
"It's a lie to divert the suspicion," Mr Johnson adds.

3:06pm

Letby was involved in a text message conversation for the 'looked rubbish...this morning'.
Letby added : 'I personally felt it was a big jump considering how sick she was just a week ago. Being in 4 is bad enough & then having NN [nursery nurses] that just don't always know...
"Mum said she hasn't been herself for a couple of days"
Mr Johnson says it fits Letby's narrative that nursery nurses are 'bad'.
He says the "false narrative" "could not be clearer" as Letby also recorded Child G's poor condition in nursing notes written retrospectively.

3:26pm

The trial is now resuming after a short break. Mr Johnson moves to the second incident on September 21, 2015 for Child G.
He says this is when Child G was having a cannula inserted behind a screen at about 3.30pm, and there were problems with insertion. Child G was put on to a trolley to carry out the procedure.
A nursing colleague said, in evidence, she had contacted police one month prior, to say Letby had not switched off the monitor in this event, and one of the doctors had apologised to her for not putting the monitor back on. Dr Gibbs said if the nursing colleague said it was true, he accepted it was true.
Dr David Harkness said the monitor was "definitely not turned off" said they were "so keen to get fluids going again" for Child G, as it had been 6 hours since she last had fluids, and Child G was 'not just left alone'. In cross-examination, it was put to him he had previously said collapses among neonates of Child G's age was quite common. He replied that was his experience in Chester, but his experience in other places since had showed that was not the case, and now refuted the suggestion.
Mr Johnson says the nurse was out of the room for Child G, and Letby was in room 4 with Child G. The nursing colleague said Child G was back in the cot, after hearing Lucy Letby shouting for help.
Letby had said she moved Child G from the trolley to the cot and Neopuffed her. Mr Johnson says it is not a credible suggestion.
Dr Gibbs had said "whatever the position was with the monitor", he would have made sure Child G was stable when he left her, post-cannulation, and would have told someone he had finished with the cannulation. Mr Johnson says if the nursing colleague wasn't in the room, the other person who would have been contacted would have been Letby.
Mr Johnson says this is another occasion where Letby had attempted to kill Child G.
The nursing colleague said she could not remember a conversation about being cross that Child G had been left alone on a trolley with the monitor off, or that a Datix form should be filled in for that event.

3:28pm

Dr Dewi Evans said the first September 21 incident was all indicative that Child G had been overfed with "potentially catastrophic consequences".
Dr Sandie Bohin said it was "basic arithmetic" - two large milky vomits, plus 30mls aspirate, meant Child G was fed much more than she should have been.

3:36pm

Mr Johnson turns to the case of Child H.
He refers to a form from the Countess of Chester Hospital to Arrowe Park for transfer, shown to the court, of Child H's deterioration and the chest drains used. The form ends: 'The acute episodes with desaturations and bradycardias do not seem to be directly related to the respiratory problems'
Child H's mother said Child H was "like a completely different baby at Arrowe Park".
Mr Johnson says Child H had respiratory distress syndrome, which is "not unusual" for a neonatal baby, and was not particularly premature.
There were two events where Child H desaturated which were unusual.
Cross-examination of Letby said staffing levels did not contribute to the collapse of Child H. She "always had one-to-one nursing care" and the delay in issuing surfactant did not have anything to do with the collapse, Mr Johnson says.
Mr Johnson says for the two counts, the tube was not blocked and staff could hear air going in and out of Child H's lungs.

3:54pm

Professor Arthurs, a professor in radiology, "made a significant contribution" to the debate on chest drains, Mr Johnson said.
He said chest drains do not normally cause bradycardia or desaturations, and chest drain positions are not examined in detail as they do not cause problems. He said the interpretation of a chest drain position was his area of expertise. He said in his opinion, the chest drains were in the space they were supposed to be.
Mr Johnson says the jury don't have to accept his evidence, but there is no evidence to contradict it.
Mr Johnson says the first significant collapse happened on September 25-26, 2015. Letby was the designated nurse in room 1. No other babies were in room 1.
The father's statement was read out to court. He said he and his wife had spent time in the neonatal unit until September 25.
He said he had been there until 'about midnight', had come back to the house, and was awoken by a call needing to go back to the hospital. He said when he got back, "I definitely remember Lucy being there, doing the chest massaging. It was explained to us [Child H] had a collapse.
"[Child H] was a very strange colour - I remember the mottling was running out of her skin towards her fingers."
Letby, in nursing notes: '...2330 bradycardia and desaturation requiring neopuff in 100% to recover. 10ml ai[r] aspirated from chest drain by Reg Ventress. Following poor blood gas and 100% oxygen requirement consultant Gibbs attended the unit and inserted a 3rd chest drain'
Mr Johnson says 2330 is the time put in by Letby. Dr Ventress recorded '2350 Several episodes of desaturation in past two hours...'
Mr Johnson said Letby had told her of 'several' episodes - "where has that come from?"
Dr Ventress: '1st one after gas taken (good gas)...'. Mr Johnson says Letby wrote on an intensive care chart a desaturation to 52% at 2210, which does not appear "at all" in the notes.
Mr Johnson says there is nothing in the observation charts to suggest there is anything wrong during this period. He says the parent has an uneventful night before he left. The doctor is given a long list of problems, but there is nothing in the nursing record to what Letby told Dr Ventress.
Mr Johnson says this was getting other people to record problems for a child when none existed, as was the case for Child E.
NJ: "[Child E] hadn't got a problem, until Lucy Letby caused a problem."
Dr Ventress had recorded a second chest drain was "almost out". Mr Johnson says moving chest drains was a "very effective way" of sabotaging a child, as would moving an ET Tube.

4:03pm

Mr Johnson says Child H was in "very, very poor shape", and after being in arrest for 22 minutes, the father noted the mottling.
Dr Gibbs ruled out all natural causes for Child H. He ruled out involvement of the chest drains.
Mr Johnson says the evidence of Prof Arthurs 'puts this all to bed anyway'.
For the second event for Child H, Dr Matthew Neame believed Letby was the designated nurse for Child H on that shift, when it was nurse Shelley Tomlins. Mr Johnson says Letby had 'elbowed her colleague aside'.
Letby had messaged her colleague that night: 'I've been helping Shelley so least still involved but haven't got the responsibility'.
Mr Johnson says this builds Letby's 'plausible deniability'. He says "we know" Letby was supposed to be in nursery room 2, not in room 1 where Child H was. Mr Johnson says it shows the state of mind Letby was in that night, similar to the state of mind for when she killed Child C.

4:06pm

Mr Johnson says this was another case where a child was desaturating "to life-threatening levels" despite good air entry. The ET tube was checked by Shelley Tomlins and there was no blockage.
"Mercifully, [Child H] was revived." An x-ray showed there was no issue with the pneumothorax.
The father said Child H was ok in the day, then it was 'shortly after' he had gone to get some rest when he had a knock on the door to go and be with Child H at the cotside as she had deteriorated.
Mr Johnson says this was "yet another opportunity" for Letby to sabotage a child.

4:14pm

Dr Neame recalled it was Lucy Letby who briefed him on the second collapse for Child H.
He recalled he was more concerned by this second collapse.
A further collapse occurred at 3.30am despite Child H having 'good air entry', and she was transferred to Arrowe Park, where she recovered quickly.
Dr Evans said the pnemothorices were not the cause of the arrests. He ruled out infection as a cause of the collapses, as they were rapid and catastrophic collapses, she was on antibiotics, and a lumbar puncture proved she did not have an infection. He was "at a loss" to explain the collapse, but it was "not one of natural causes".
Dr Bohin said there were delays with the surfactant. She said she could find no clinical or mechanical cause for the collapses. She said she had never known a chest drain to cause collapses, or stresses by the baby resulting in a cardiac arrest.
Professor Arthurs saw "no problem" with the chest drains. Mr Johnson says the chest drains can be ruled out as a problem. He adds there was no disease or mechanical factor, and it was "undoubtedly" sabotage by Letby.
He says both collapses happened "just after" Child H's parents had left, which had "parallels" with other cases, and was a "signature" of Letby's work.

Last edited:
[...]

"Prosecutor Nick Johnson KC said experts for the prosecution had told Manchester Crown Court at least 12 of those received an air injection.

[...]

He said they should "put all the pieces of the jigsaw together" and suggested the "cumulative picture" told only one story, that Ms Letby "tried to murder or murdered these children".

[...]

He alleged that swelling noted by a doctor in Child C's vocal chords indicated that "something had been put down his throat".
This was also a feature in the cases of Child E, Child G, Child H and Child N, he said.

[...]

Mr Johnson also noted how Ms Letby's defence counsel, Ben Myers KC, had repeatedly questioned witnesses about the competence of Ms Ellis, who Ms Letby had called the "new girl" in messages to colleagues.

[...]

"It's trying to create in the impression in your minds that something was seriously wrong with the hospital," he said, adding: "It's gaslighting you, doing to you what Lucy Letby did to her colleagues."

"Letby allegedly injected air intravenously into Child D's circulation while the infant's designated nurse was on a break.

Mr Johnson said there were no problems until Letby's colleague left nursery one at 1am.

He said: 'Just as in the cases of (Child C), (Child G), (Child I), (Child J), (Child K) and (Child N) - all of them collapsed when their designated nurse left the room or went on a break.

[...]

The prosecutor also pointed out an unsigned blood gas reading of Child D at 1.14am which he said Letby admitted was in her handwriting.

[...]

'While people do forget things in a busy neonatal unit... we all make mistakes but it's the timing of the 'errors', isn't it. It's the pattern of the errors.

'It's the power of circumstantial evidence.'

Another chart reading showed an intravenous infusion of liquid for Child D recorded at 1.25am and co-signed by Letby and designated nurse Caroline Oakley, he said.

Mr Johnson said: 'Caroline Oakley, who was not actually there at the time, couldn't explain it.

'This is clear evidence, isn't it, that Lucy Letby in the absence of Caroline Oakley gave an intravenous injection of air to (Child D) five minutes before she collapsed.'

[...]

'You might ask yourself why won't she tell you the truth? Because the truth is bad for her. It's bad.'"

PROSECUTION CLOSING SPEECH - Thursday 22nd June 2023

Day 4 - Morning Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 22 - prosecution closing speech

10:30am

The trial is now resuming. Mr Johnson says there are four children left to go through - Child I, Child J, Child N and Child Q. He first details the case of Child I.

Mr Johnson says evidence had been heard of Child I, that medics do not worry about self-correcting desaturations.
Mr Johnson says having failed to kill Child G and Child H, she turned her attention to Child I, and was designated nurse for two of the four occasions in which she tried to kill the baby girl, and falsified notes along the way.
Mr Johnson says it was important to note from the post-mortem evidence that Child I did not have NEC [a gastrointestinal disease].

10:37am

Mr Johnson says Child I's first collapse was marked with a desaturation to the 30s and had vomited, on September 30.
He says the day before, Dr Lucy Beebe had reviewed Child I. She remembered seeing Child I from memory, as the girl became unwell, was shipped out and recovered well, and came back, which she said was unusual, for her short time at the unit.
Dr Beebe had said she was shocked and frustrated by Child I's death, as she felt there was something going on which they [the staff] were not aware of.
Dr Beebe said the aim for Child I, after the September 29 review, was to continue feeding and growing the baby girl.

10:39am

The day rota for September 30 had Letby as designated nurse for Child I and two other babies in room 3. Mr Johnson says Letby "did not like" being in room 3.
The plan was to give Child I immunisations, as was the case for Child G. He says there was nothing wrong with Child I, who was receiving cares from the mother and a feed.
Mr Johnson says Child I produced a small stool at the 10am feed. The 10am feeding chart note is signed by Letby.
"The doctors were very happy with [Child I]," Mr Johnson says.

10:43am

Dr Beebe's note is shown to the court for September 30. Mr Johnson says it is important to note the reason for the review. It was 'asked to review as reduced temperature'.
Mr Johnson says Child I was taking full bottles, gaining weight, and Dr Beebe recorded that Child I was handling well. Child I, during the examination, produced a yellow, seedy stool, which indicated good gut health, he tells the court.
Dr Beebe said this was not a sign of NEC. Mr Johnson says Child I was "not in distress", the abdomen was the same as yesterday, and the plan was to monitor Child I closely, raise the cot temperature, but Child I appeared clinically well.
Mr Johnson asks what was going on at this stage. Child I's mother, in evidence, said Lucy Letby raised the issue with her about Child I's stomach. Mr Johnson says that was not the same reason Letby gave to Dr Beebe.
NJ: "So what was going on here?"

10:45am

Mr Johnson says no concern was expressed to medical staff about Child I's abdomen by Letby.
"Why was Lucy Letby expressing concern to [Child I's mother] about the abdomen? Why did Lucy Letby not raise the issue with Dr Beebe?"
Mr Johnson says Letby was gaslighting the mother by suggesting a problem with Child I that didn't exist, until she caused the problem.

10:53am

Mr Johnson says "everything was unremarkable" for Child I until 1pm when she was asleep, and fed via a NGT.
The mother said she had gone to meet the family in the canteen at this time.
The feed chart shows a 35ml feed for Child I, which Mr Johnson says would take some time - "about 15 minutes", taking until 1.15pm. He says the nursing notes are accurate as they are time-stamped by the computer automatically.
The note is written between 1.36pm-1.48pm - it was "at most" 20 minutes after the feed ended. Mr Johnson says the details of the feed and review recorded are not correct.
He says the addendum, of a '1500' 'Drs' examination of Child I, is "a complete fabrication".
A male doctor's note records examining Child I at 4.30pm.
Mr Johnson asks who these doctors were who examined Child I at 3pm. He adds the '3pm note' contains: '[Child I] appeared mottled in colour with distended abdomen and more prominent veins.'
Mr Johnson says there is no corresponding doctor's note for this examination of 'mottling'.
Letby's note: 'Full monitoring recommenced'. An observation note records this was done from 3pm.
Mr Johnson says Dr Beebe had advised it at 11.40am. He asks why did Letby only recommence full monitoring after Child I's mother had left the unit.
Mr Johnson says Letby is transposing events, including a note of a yellow seedy stool, from 11.40am to 3pm to an examination - "which never actually happened".

Mr Johnson says it is a "very calculated way" of giving the impression a child who had no problem at all, "had a problem".
Child I's mother had a routine for each day, visiting Child I at regular times, and the father would come in from after 5pm. Mr Johnson said the time between 3pm and 5pm was "her window of opportunity" to attack Child I.
NJ: "What are the chances of these things happening at precisely this point?"
Letby had written: 'Mummy present when reviewed by Drs. Had left unit when [Child I] had large vomit and transferred to nursery 1.'
Mr Johnson says Letby had tried to give the impression the Neopuff caused the inflated stomach for Child I.
He says "remarkably", Child I improved, and there were 'minimal aspirates'.
"Yet another miraculous recovery...all good once Lucy Letby had left."
Medical expert Dr Dewi Evans ruled out infection and said the only explanation was a dose of air administered through the NG Tube. Dr Sandie Bohin agreed, and the effect would have been to splint the diaphragm. She discounted the possibility of NEC.
Professor Owen Arthurs said the stomach and almost all of the gut had been distended. Mr Johnson says that was from administered air.

11:01am

The second incident for Child I, on October 13, 2015 at 3.20am, is now detailed by Mr Johnson - the 'see in the dark' incident, he calls it.
He says Child I had been progressing well.

11:06am

The first part of the night shift had Child I being fed normally.
Mr Johnson says the second event was much more serious than the first. Before it, Child I had been in a good clinical condition, Mr Johnson says. He says it was expected she was coming up for discharge from the hospital in a couple of weeks.
Letby was the designated nurse for a baby in room 1. Nurse Ashleigh Hudson was the designated nurse for Child G, Child I and one other baby in room 2.
She left room 2 to tend to another baby in room 1, assisting colleague Laura Eagles, and asked a colleague to monitor Child I - either Caroline Oakley or Lucy Letby. Caroline Oakley had no recollection of being called.
Ms Hudson said she had been in room 1, and some milk needed defrosting for Child I's feed, and when she got back, there were no adults in the room. She started to prepare the milk, with her back to Child I.
The next thing she remembered was Lucy Letby in the doorway, who pointed out that Child I 'looked pale' - she was 'about 5ft-6ft away' from Child I. She said something along the lines of 'Don't you think [Child I] looks pale?"
Ms Hudson said the light in room 2 was low, and the lights were on in the corridor outside room 2.
Mr Johnson reminds the jury what Lucy Letby said about this in interview.

11:15am

Mr Johnson refers to Letby's 2019 police interview, in which she said room 2's light was off, and there was 'an element of light coming from the doorway', and Child I was by the window.
Ashleigh Hudson said Child I had a blanket over her, and a 'tent structure' keeping her secure. She said she could not see Child I due to the canopy and the lighting. Mr Johnson says Letby did not have a better view. Ms Hudson said she switched on the light and looked at Child I, who was 'gasping', 'incredibly pale', and in a 'very bad way'.
Ms Hudson initially thought the deterioration was so rapid she thought she was too late to save her.
She said you "cannot see" a child from the position Lucy Letby was in.
Mr Johnson says we have a "head-on credibility conflict", of two accounts who "don't live in the same world".
Mr Johnson says in cross-examination, Letby was asked about looking from a brightly lit corridor into a dark room would improve her ability to see.
He says her first response was "I don't know".
NJ: "She 'conceded' she would not have been able to see, yet she persisted that she could see [Child I].
NJ: "We had a break, we came back, and I asked Lucy what she had said in interview...
He says Letby had said "Maybe I spotted something Ashleigh couldn't spot."
Mr Johnson had asked Letby: "You don't have better eyesight than Ashleigh, do you?"
NJ: "The question is, how would you be able to spot the colouring [of Child I better than Ashleigh Hudson from the same point of view]?"
LL: "I had more experience so I knew what I was looking for/at."
Mr Johnson adds: "You will remember the way she corrected herself."
He says there was a very long pause. He added at the time: "Your answer, you explain it."
He said Letby was "finding it difficult to concentrate on all the dates".
Mr Johnson said there was nothing about the dates in this context. He says did Letby make an innocent mistake, or did something else slip out, under the pressure of the witness box?
He says Letby caused the problem for Child I. He says Child I recovered well.

11:22am

Mr Johnson says Letby had timed her note, having seen Ashleigh Hudson's nursing note first, so it appeared she saw Child I first. Mr Johnson says it is another case of 'plausible deniability'.
Professor Arthurs said Child I's large bowel was distended, and the NG Tube was in the curled up in the oesophagus rather than the stomach.
Dr Evans said the only explanation was air administered to Child I via the NG Tube.
Mr Johnson says Dr Bohin explained Child I was sabotaged by air administered via the NG Tube and via and IV line.
Dr Anne Boothroyd's x-ray report on September 30 recorded: 'There is splinting of the diaphragm due to bowel distention'.

11:28am

For the third event for Child I, Dr Ravi Jayaram said there were 'no clinical concerns' for Child I before the night of October 13-14. Mr Johnson says evidence was heard to say Child I was "stable".
This was the second time Letby was the designated nurse. Mr Johnson says this was the second time she had the opportunity to falsify notes.
Dr Matthew Neame's 5.55am note is shown to the court for October 14. Mr Johnson says this is not a retrospectively written note, as it includes a note of a prescription which is timestamped at 5.56am, and an urgent x-ray is timed at 6.05am.
He says Letby's addendum note, made at 8.43am, after Child I had desaturated: 'At 0500 abdomen noted to be more distended and firmer in appearance with area of discolouration spreading on right hand side, Veins more prominent'
Mr Johnson asks why would Lucy Letby do this?
He says to bear in mind what happened the previous night, if these symptoms were shown, then the doctor would be called urgently. He says the absence of a doctor called shows there was no problem at 5am.

11:34am

Mr Johnson says, from the paper trail, if anyone 'puts two and two together' and thinks there is a problem with Lucy Letby, they are "thrown off the scent".
Dr Neame said the mottling was "unusual", which was why he recorded.
NJ: "How many times have we heard that in this case?"
Mr Johnson says the abdomen was distended.
Dr Andreas Marnerides had excluded NEC.
Mr Johnson says the only possibility is pushing air in down the NG Tube.
Dr Neame said Child I looked uncomfortable when examined and "grimaced". He noted the abdominal distention.
Prof Arthurs said, of the x-ray image, the stomach was 'markedly dilated', and the small bowel and the large bowel were also dilated, with 'no symptoms of NEC'. Another image at 8.03am had the stomach decompressed, and a third image the following day showed 'no problems at all'.
Dr Neame recorded a further desaturation for Child I at 7am, and the ET Tube was reintubated. It was noted there was 'good air entry' for Child I, but - as Mr Johnson says, in so many other cases for babies in this trial - Child I was desaturating.

Child I had further desaturations on October 14-15, which Mr Johnson said were 'explicable' as there were secretions in the NG Tube. Child I had a 'miraculous recovery' after being transferred to Arrowe Park, and improved, until coming into the "misfortune" of contact with Lucy Letby, he adds.
Dr Evans thought Child I's stomach had been injected with air, and air injected into the intravenous system. There was an "astonishing amount of air" in Child I's stomach.
Dr Bohin concluded Child I had air administered.

11:52am

The trial is now resuming after a short break.
Mr Johnson turns to the fourth and final event for Child I, on October 22-23, 2015, in which Child I died.

11:55am

Mr Johnson says Ashleigh Hudson had given evidence to say Child I was "very easy to settle", and although Child I was in nursery room 1, that was as a precaution given her history of episodes.
Child I was self ventilating in air and her saturations "optimal", and she "looked very well", and "pink, well-perfused" and a "soft, non-distended abdomen".
Caroline Oakley said in a statement Child I's abdomen was "fine" and "soft, non-distended".
Mr Johnson says that is the background to Child I when Lucy Letby came on shift that night.

12:03pm

Letby was designated nurse for a baby in room 2 and a baby in room 3. Ashleigh Hudson was designated nurse for Child I and another baby.
Child I was in a "virtually perfect" clinical scenario, Mr Johnson says. He says Letby "got herself involved".
Child I gave a 'cry that had not been heard before' - 'loud and relentless', according to Ashleigh Hudson, who interpreted it as "distress".
When she was repositioned on her tummy at about midnight, Child I stopped breathing. Resuscitation efforts began and Child I then began to fight the ventilator.
Dr John Gibbs was told Child I had had an abnormal cry. He was 'perplexed' at Child I's rapid deterioration and recovery, which would not show a sign of infection.
Mr Johnson says Letby falsified paperwork for one of her designated babies at this time - the baby to be transferred to Stoke.
Letby recorded a note at 10.50-10.52pm note of a 10% glucose infusion for the 'Stoke baby'. The infusion note is written as starting at '2300', and that writing is changed to '2400'. Mr Johnson says it was changed to give Letby an "alibi" for midnight.
Mr Johnson says further times are overwritten/changed on Child I's infusion chart - from 12.15am to 12.25am, and one to a time at 1.25am, which Mr Johnson says puts it out of sequence between '1.28am' and '1.48am' on the chart.

12:09pm

Ashleigh Hudson said she was alerted to Child I at 1.06am by either the alarm going off or Child I crying. She said, in room 1, Letby was already there at Child I's cotside and "had her hands in the incubator". Mr Johnson says Letby had sabotaged Child I, and caused Child I to cry.
Mr Johnson says Letby 'put Ashleigh Hudson off' by saying: "She just needs to settle".
'Air++' was aspirated from Child I. Mr Johnson asks how that could have got there other than being forced in by Lucy Letby.
Dr Rachel Chang could see air entry and chest movement on Child I, but Child I wasn't recovering. She said Child I's death was "inexplicable".
Dr John Gibbs noted mottling on Child I. He said he "could not understand" why Child I had died and referred the case to the coroner.
The grieving parents agreed to bathe Child I. Mr Johnson said despite having two designated babies to care for, and Child I not being her designated baby, Letby met the parents.
The mother said: "Lucy came back in. She was smiling and kept going on about how she was present at [Child I's] first bath and how much she [Child I] had loved it."
"I wish she had just sopped talking. Eventually I think she realised and stopped. It wasn't what we wanted to hear then."

12:17pm

Dr Evans says this was "another" case, in Child I, receiving air administered. He thought the nature of the collapse, the crying, the prolonged resuscitation, and the purple and white discolouration, were all symptoms of air embolus. There was no account of natural disease.
Dr Bohin said the cause of death was air embolus - from the unexpected catastrophic collapse, Child I being unsettled and agitated, the 'extremely unusual' crying meaning Child I was in excruciating pain.
In cross-examination, Dr Bohin was asked if she had a coherent explanation for an air embolus. Mr Johnson said Dr Bohin's answer, without hesitation, lasted for about 10 minutes. She was asked about Child I's poor weight gain, and Dr Bohin said that did not make her more likely to have a cardiac arrest [as Child I had].
Prof Arthurs said it was 'unusual' to see the amount of dilation in Child I's stomach. He excluded CPAP belly as a cause. He said it was "reasonable to infer" air administered.
Dr Marnerides said at the time of Child I's death, she had no acute illnesses or abnormalities in the bowel, other than presence of air. The presence of gas had "no pathological cause". He said the collapses were air administered from the NG Tube.
Mr Johnson says Child I's case is a "stark one". He says Letby made repeated efforts to kill Child I, and falsified notes both for Child I and another baby. She 'gave herself away' in the event with Ashleigh Hudson.
"Lucy Letby's behaviour in the aftermath [of Child I's death] was bizarre and inappropriate. She revelled in what she had done."
"Her voyeuristic tendencies caused her to look up [Child I's mother] on Facebook."
"Having killed her [Child I], she wrote a condolence card. It was still on her phone when it was seized by the police."

12:23pm

Mr Johnson details the case of Child J.
He says when Letby was giving evidence in this case, she said band 4 nurses [nursery nurses] cannot do intensive care or high dependency babies, or handling of stomas.
Letby said the unit was very busy as an explanation why a band 4 nurse was caring for Child J.
Mr Johnson says the implication of that exchange was to give that Child J received incompetent care, and staffing levels were compromised.
Letby had messaged a colleague on November 19, 2015: "It's shocking really that they are willing to take on the responsibility for things that they have no training or experience etc on. Don't think they appreciate the potential difficulties"
Mr Johnson says the jury will remember witnesses had been cross-examined about nursing guidelines. He says the part that was never quoted was the bit about stomas. The care, shown to the court, says special care day nurses can include care of a stoma.
Mr Johnson says that whole evidence "was designed to mislead you".
"It's the same type of behaviour that Lucy Letby engaged in with her colleagues."

12:26pm

Mr Johnson says Child J had no respiratory difficulties and was being bottle fed, and did not need respiratory support, and was in room 4.
Nurse Nicola Dennison said Child J was 'getting ready to go home' with a stoma by November 26, 2015. She wrote in notes that Child J was 'stable'.
Child J's mother left at the end of the day, intending to return at 8am the following day, but received an emergency call overnight.
Letby was in room 3, designated nurse for two babies that night shift. Nicola Dennison was the designated nurse for Child J and one other baby in room 4.

12:32pm

Child J desaturated at 4.40am on November 27.
Mary Griffiths was working in room 2. She said in evidence Child J was a 'joy to look after', and described the first desaturation, which she and Nicola Dennison dealed with. The desaturation was "alarmingly low".
Ms Dennison said, after cross-examination, Child J collapsed after her feed.
Dr Kalyilil Verghese recorded the shift was busy. Twins had been admitted to room 1 at 6.10am.
He said he reviewed Child J once, and all information was given to him by nursing staff. He noted there had been 'two profound desaturations', timed at 5.15am.
Child J was moved to nursery 2 when the designated nurse was Mary Griffith. Mr Johnson says Letby was then involved in care of babies in room 2, despite her designated babies being in room 3.

12:34pm

Letby had said, in a text, the unit was 'closed' trying to get someone in. At 6.49am she messaged 'It's all a bit t**s up'
Mr Johnson says resources had been diverted to room 1, and this was the "perfect opportunity" for Letby to attack Child J.
At 6.56am, Child J collapsed.

12:42pm

Mr Johnson says Child J's saturations dropped, as did Child J's heart rate.
Mary Griffith noted '[Child J's] monitor went off at 0650 myself and L Letby attended. Found baby with pale hands and baby very rigid. Sats went to 7 and heart rate to 68. [Child J] neopuffed with little improvement....Dr Gibvs on unit and called to help. neopuff continued for 16 mins until sats improved.'
Mr Johnson says this was a serious enough incident for the consultant to be called.
A glucose bolus was started at 7.20am, which Mr Johnson says was administered by Letby. At 7.40am, according to nursing notes, Child J desaturated again, and her fists were clenched, her eyes were rolling to the left, and Letby got involved again.
Dr Gibbs recorded at 7.35am: 'Two seizures' - he said he remembered Mary Griffith and Lucy Letby were there when he arrived. A seizure was 'reasonably long', about '10 minutes'.
Mr Johnson says prior to these events, Child J had never had a seizure, and she had not had one since. She "recovered very well" afterwards. He adds blood tests were normal and showed no signs of infection, and a brain scan showed no abnormality, nor in an x-ray.
Dr Gibbs said an oxygen drop was the reason for the seizure, but could not find a reason for the oxygen drop.
Dr Stephen Brearey said there "was no explanation" for the deteriorations.

12:46pm

Dr Evans said there was no marker of infection for Child J. He said if there had been, the recovery would not have been so quick. He agreed there had been a lack of oxygen, and it had not been an epileptic seizure.
Dr Bohin said babies who are ready to go home do not have collapses which require prolonged resuscitation and a quick recovery.
Mr Johnson says the cause of collapses "bear all the hallmarks" of an attack by Lucy Letby.
He said Child J was "prospering" prior to the attacks, and the attack happened while the unit was distracted by two emergency admissions. He says at that time, when it was 'all hands to the pump', Letby was on her phone.
He says Letby stopped texting seven minutes before Child J's collapse.
Letby's suggestion that she had little memory of the event is "not realistic", Mr Johnson says, as that night was punctuated by two emergency admissions to the unit.
He says Letby "was running with the I don't remember line to avoid answering questions."
He says Letby searched for Child J's parents, which is 'inexplicable', other than through an 'unnatural interest in them'.

12:50pm

Mr Johnson moves to the case of Child N.
He says Child N was sabotaged by Lucy Letby as he was getting ready to go home.
The first incident was "characteristic of Lucy Letby's handiwork", Mr Johnson says.
Dr Christopher Booth had gone on a break.
Mr Johnson suggests Letby was "in her least favourite room" that day, in nursery 4, with 'only' two babies, and had time on her hands by texting about Melanie Taylor's shortcomings and a male doctor.
He says that includes the 'go commando' comment, which he says Letby lied about not knowing its meaning.
NJ: "If she's not even prepared to tell you the truth on something so trivial, what is she prepared to tell you the truth about?"

12:57pm

Mr Johnson says Letby's interviews are "very revealing" in relation to the texts in the case of Child N. He refers to the 2020 police interview.
Letby was asked if she knew Child N had haemophilia. She replied she didn't know. Mr Johnson says that was a lie, as there was a handover sheet in the 'Morrisons bag' at her home which documented Child N had haemophilia.
On June 2, 2016, Letby was recorded caring for two babies in room 4, including giving a feed to one of the babies, a 50ml feed to a baby who was asleep. Mr Johnson says it would take 15-20 minutes. He says the 2030 time could mean any time between 2015-2045.
Mr Johnson says the 'keypad on Lucy Letby's phone must have been hot' as Letby was texting constantly at this time.
He says it is accepted people do text at work, but giving an NG Tube feed is a two-handed process, and "you can't do that if you're texting at the same time".
He says there are 41 text messages in the conversation, and that "cannot be done" if you are giving, "in the proper way", an NG Tube feed.
Mr Johnson says Letby was asked about this, how it could be done: LL: "You can't."
Mr Johnson had told Letby there was one method of administering a feed quickly.
Letby added: "You think I pushed it in?"
NJ: "That's what you were doing, wasn't it?

1:05pm

Designated nurse Christopher Booth said, for the incident, he went for a break around 1am on June 3. Sophie Ellis was giving a feed at the time and had only a vague memory of child N, and had a number of designated babies that night. Melanie Taylor was making an entry on a fluid balance chart and had no memory of Child N. Valerie Thomas was a nursery nurse who would not have been in room 1. Mr Johnson says the process of elimination was it was Lucy Letby who was in room 1, as she wasn't recorded doing anything at that time.
Dr Jennifer Loughnane noted Child N was 'unsettled' and desaturations had gone to 40%, and he was 'dusky and mottled'. He was "screaming".
Mr Johnson says Dr Loughnane sat back in the witness box when reading the word 'screaming'. Mr Johnson says he asked Letby if she remembered Dr Loughanne doing that, and she said she did.
Dr Evans said the 30-min crying was unusual, as was the speed of decline. He could think of no naturally occurring or innocent cause.
Dr Bohin said the desaturation was 'life-threatening', and there was 'nothing to suggest it was an innocent event', and there 'must have been an inflicted painful stimulus' to cause a life-threatening collapse.
Mr Johnson says that same kind of injury was inflicted by Letby on Child O, 20 days later, causing a liver injury. He says this attack happened on a baby who was perfectly well just after the designated nurse had gone on a break.

PROSECUTION CLOSING SPEECH - Thursday 22nd June 2023

Day 4 - Afternoon Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 22 - prosecution closing speech

2:10pm

The trial is now resuming after its lunch break.
Mr Johnson is continuing the case of Child N, referring to events on June 15, 2016.

2:21pm

He says the day before, on June 14, Letby was Child N's designated nurse. It was planned for Child N to go home that week.
On June 14, notes are shown showing Child N had a 45ml feed at 7.40am.
At 8.17am, Letby "complained" she had had to feed Child N - she messaged: 'bottle not done'.
Mr Johnson says the 45ml feed took until about 8.15am.
Letby had noted Child N was almost 'ready for home'.
Child N's mother fed Child Child N at 11.50am. Mr Johnson says Letby noted at 2.20pm: 'mummy visiting this morning, carried out cares and feed...aware that once jaundice treatment discontinued infant will be ready for home...'
Mr Johnson says Letby did something to destabilise Child N at the end of her day shift to give the impression of an underlying problem.
Jennifer Jones-Key reported that, in the night, Child N was "unsettled". She wrote in nursing notes: "At start of shift, baby nursed in incubator with eye protection in situ...baby very unsettled early part of night."
Mr Johnson asks what had happened to unsettle Child N that night. He says it is similar to the case of Child P, just over a week later.
Child N started to desaturate at 1am, looking mottled, and it was escalated to Belinda Simcock and Kathryn Percival-Ward. A male doctor reviewed Child N and noted he looked normal. Child N had a number of desaturations and the male reviewing doctor believed it was the beginning of an infection, so ran a test for it. The outcome showed there was no infection, Mr Johnson says.
A repeat blood gas test had "reassuring" results. The male doctor said there was no NG Tube in place, and Child N was nil by mouth.
A colleague texted Letby at 5.25am: "Baby [N] screened, looks like s**t". Letby almost immediately responded: "Really?!"
Mr Johnson says that is the reason Letby went straight to Child N when she went in early. "She saw an opportunity."

2:31pm

Swipe data showed Letby came in "extra early" at 7.12am. Mr Johnson said as soon as she entered, she texted the male doctor: 'I've escaped being in 1, back in 3'. Moments later, Child N collapsed.
Mr Johnson said Jennifer Jones-Key said Child N had 'fleeting desaturations' early in the morning.
An observation chart "showed no worrying signs at all" at 5am and 7am for Child N, Mr Johnson says, with 100% oxygen saturation levels.
Child N had a "big desaturation" at 7.15am. He says Letby knew she had a chance to sabotage Child N as it would be busy. A colleague had texted her: '5 admissions, 1 vent'.
Jennifer Jones-Key said she recalled Letby had gone over and noticed Child N was pale. She said Letby had 'just come in to say hello as they were friends'.
Mr Johnson says Letby had been texting two colleagues, not Jennifer Jones-Key, the previous day, and continued the texts with a nursing colleague and a doctor colleague up to 7.12am.
Mr Johnson says if she was going in to talk to her friend, she would have gone to the nursing colleague who she had been texting and was on duty.
Letby, in police interview, said she had 'assumed something had happened for Child N to move because of the observations [on the chart]'. She said she had 'no independent memory' of Child N.
The nursing note suggested Child N was desaturating on handover. Mr Johnson says the impression given by the note is she was inheriting the problem of the child already desaturating by the time she came on shift. He says Letby was "trying to avoid an audit trail".
Child N's parents were called in urgently, and they saw him being given CPR. The parents recalled Lucy Letby being present.
Mr Johnson says Letby made more "misleading notes" after this collapse for Child N.

2:43pm

Letby noted, in family communication at 2.10pm: 'Parents contacted by SN Butterworth during intubation. Both phones switched off and n answer on landline. message left. Call returned shortly after'.
Mr Johnson says that note must refer to the 8am intubation done by a male doctor. His note of 'intubation drugs given'.
Mr Johnson says it had been said the parents' statements were agreed, but now they are not.
Child N's father said Lucy Letby rang him up and gave details. He added, in response to the phone call: "I didn't get the impression he was still unwell."
He said a different nurse rang up 10 minutes later, telling him to go to the hospital as soon as possible, and they arrived at 9am. This was on the day Child N was due to go home.
Mr Johnson says if Child N had been 'a bit unwell during the night', then he was worse now. He says the parents were told Child N was 'ok now', which was not true.
He says the parents 'might just remember the call' to tell them there had been an issue with Child N.
He says none of this was dealt with when Letby gave evidence to her own counsel. He says when cross-examined, Letby said she believed there was a note by Bernadette Butterworth on family communication.
Mr Johnson says this chapter of evidence is "littered with irreconcilable contradiction". He asks why it was played down to the parents that Child N was unwell.
He says that when Letby made the call, she would not have known Jennifer Jones-Key had already recorded Letby had been hands-on with Child N. In police interview, Letby said she "couldn't remember".
Mr Johnson says the nursing note was "completely misleading", and suggested S/N Butterworth had been unable to get through to the father of Child N. He says Letby came in early to sabotage Child N. He says if someone looked at the records, it would look like Letby 'had a peripheral role' in Child N's care that day.

2:49pm

A subsequent examination at Alder Hey, of Child N, showed he had no abnormality with his airway.
Child N was intubated. The male doctor said upon the intubation attempt, he saw blood. He couldn't see the source of the blood, and said the swelling was "unusual".
He said in cross-examination: "It must have been unusual for me to see it."
He said, in cross-examination, it was possible the bleed could have been caused by an implement used before the first intubation, but if that was the case, he said he would have noticed blood on the equipment.
Dr Brearey said he could not think of a natural cause why Child N had collapsed.
At 11.29am, Letby messaged: 'Small amounts of blood from mouth & 1ml from NG. Looks like pulmonary bleed on Xray. Given factor 8 - wait and see...'
Mr Johnson says Letby was building a narrative.

2:52pm

When asked about the 1ml fresh blood reading on an intensive care chart at 10am in interview, Letby said she did not remember, and "I don't know what I did".
Mr Johnson said if this reading is true, she would have escalated it to a doctor, as a child with haemophilia. He says if it is not true, it is still a point against Letby - why would she make a note?

2:54pm

Mr Johnson says the jury know it wasn't escalated as there weren't any doctor's notes.

2:59pm

Child N's parents came in, and left for a break to get something to eat, and at that point, Child N collapsed.
"The power of circumstantial evidence," Mr Johnson says. He adds Letby 'wrote it off as an innocent coincidence'.
The next event was at 2.59pm, when doctors were crash bleeped to Child N.
He says it is a "repeat" of Child E, with a bleed.
Dr Satyanarayana Saladi encountered a "large swelling at the end of the epiglottis" and had never seen it before in a newborn baby. The swelling 'perplexed Dr Gibbs as well'.
Dr Brearey was called in by Dr Saladi to help. He said they were worried about pulmonary haemhorrhage and full intubation was still required. Mr Johnson says we know now that it was not pulmonary haemhorrhage.
Mr Johnson says the suggestion Letby first saw blood at this point is "completely unconvincing".

3:07pm

Mr Johnson says the text to a doctor colleague by Letby is made at 11.29am, mentioning 'small amounts of blood from mouth & 1ml from NG.', and another note is on her family communication. Mr Johnson says Letby omitted that in interview.
He says the truth is Letby made a damaging admission in interview, and "proves she sabotaged" Child N before the arrival of the doctor.
'Sorry if I was off during intubation, Bernie winds me up faffing etc , I like things to be tidy and calm...'
Mr Johnson says Bernadette Butterworth was 'getting on Lucy Letby's nerves that day'.
Letby recorded another 1ml of blood at 6pm.
When the Alder Hey transport team arrived, a female doctor said Letby was "agitated" and approached the doctor saying "who are these people? Who are these people?"
Mr Johnson says this is contradictory to what Letby said in interview, when she said she was 'relieved' the transport team arrived. He says this is all 'part of the gaslighting' on her colleagues.
The female doctor felt Letby's behaviour was "out of character" from what she had previously experienced.
Dr Gibbs said at 7.40pm he was discussing matters with the transport team when someone called for help for Child N as his saturation levels had dropped. Mr Johnson asks if this was an innocent coincidence when all the doctors were 'distracted', 'in a huddle'.

3:13pm

Mr Johnson says thanks to the skill of the medical team, they were able to bring Child N back following resuscitation efforts. Child N's time in Alder hey was 'uneventful' and he was discharged three days later.
Professor Sally Kinsey said the blood seen by the male doctor at 8am could not have been spontaneous - "somebody caused the bleeding", and could not have been seen for the first time hours later by Letby, Mr Johnson says.
Mr Johnson says the person who injured Child N was "undoubtedly" Lucy Letby.

3:26pm

Mr Johnson turns to the final case, Child Q, who was "doing just fine until he came into contact with Lucy Letby".

3:29pm

Child Q had a 2ml bile aspirate overnight on June 23-24, and feeds were stopped as a precaution. His bowels were noted to be working. Samantha O'Brien fed Child Q tiny amounts of milk the following night. His respiratory condition was "stable" and was tolerating the feeds. The aspirates were "possibly more than you would expect", but said he was stable and there was 'nothing you wouldn't expect' from the baby boy.

3:32pm

For the day shift of June 25, Child Q's abdomen was noted at the beginning of the shift to be 'soft and non-distended' in a note by Lucy Letby.
Letby was in room 2, designated nurse for Child Q, and a child in room 1. Mary Griffith was the designated nurse for the other baby in room 2.
Letby and Mary Griffith co-signed for medication for a baby in room 3 at 8.34am. Mary Griffith left the unit shortly after that, and Child Q then collapsed, Mr Johnson tells the court.

3:35pm

The 9am observation chart for Child Q is unfinished - "almost as if she was interrupted by something", and the 9am fluid chart also has gaps, with no initial.
Mary Griffith came back on to the unit at 9.01am.
Mr Johnson says while Mary Griffith was out, Letby took the opportunity to inject clear liquid and air down Child Q's NG Tube.

3:36pm

In interview, Letby said "repeatedly" at the time of the collapse, she had been in room 1, and gave the full name of the designated baby in there.
Mr Johnson says Letby has a good memory for that baby, "but she doesn't remember [Child D]."
Mr Johnson adds the reason Letby remembered that baby is the room 1 baby "was her alibi".

3:38pm

In Letby's 2020 police interview, she said she needed to see the room 1 baby as she needed 'cares'. Colleague Minna Lappalainen said cares were needed 'every four hours'. Letby had last given cares for the room 1 baby at 8.30am, and Mr Johnson says the explanation to police of cares is a "hopeless excuse".
He adds Letby sabotaged Child Q.

3:49pm

Child Q's alarm sounded, Mary Griffith called for help and Minna Lappalainen arrived to help.
Mr Johnson says Letby had noted, at 9.10am, 'air++ aspirated' from Child Q and the baby was 'mottled++'.
He says this is something which has been seen before, air which hadn't been seen before the desaturation.
Mr Johnson says Minna Lappalainen didn't see the aspiration of the air or the mottling, as she was focused on stabilising on Child Q. He says that is something to consider when the defence mention about differing accounts by doctors and nurses on skin discolourations flitting, coming and going.
The discharge note by a male doctor for Child Q 'Profuse vomit with desaturation on morning 25/06/16.' He said he wasn't there, and Mr Johnson says this information must have been given to him by nursing staff.
He said Child Q's blood gas before 7am was good, and the one before 10am showed respiratory acidosis.
Mr Johnson says this was "no minor desaturation" and took the doctor away from the children's ward.
Dr Gibbs said the collapse was "not in keeping" with a baby such as Child Q who was getting tired.
Letby had messaged later: "Do I need to be worried about what Dr Gibbs was asking?"
Dr Gibbs had said he had a 'heightened concern' on the NNU. Mr Johnson says Letby had a heightened concern at this time that people were on to her.

NJ: "Letby's text messages proved that Dr Gibbs' instinct was absolutely right."
He says Child Q had been sabotaged by Letby.

3:53pm

Mr Johnson says if this was a minor collapse, as the defence suggest, why was Dr Gibbs so interested into what had happened?
A male doctor noted 'small loops in the bowel' 24 hours after the collapse, and Child Q was transferred to Alder Hey. Mr Johnson says it is all irrelevant to what happened 24 hours earlier.
A doctor at Alder Hey said Child Q's abdomen had normalised by June 27 and he was transferred back to Chester. He said it was another case where a child recovered quickly when 'taken out of the orbit of Lucy Letby'.

4:04pm

Professor Stivaros later found evidence of a brain injury in Child Q, which Mr Johnson says proves the collapse was not a minor one.
Dr Evans was cross-examined on the 'fluid being injected' as a 'late addition' to his evidence. Mr Johnson says the defence said air being administered via Neopuff was an explanation for 'air++ aspirated', and the description of the collapse was a 'gross exaggeration' of what had happened.
Mr Johnson said such criticism was 'unfair', as Dr Evans had referred to 'profuse' from a male doctor's note on the discharge letter. Mr Johnson adds Child Q suffered a brain injury.
Dr Evans said a significant amount of fluid appearing on Child Q did not have a natural cause, and was "suspicious of the volume of air aspirated", although he accepts the air could have been introduced by the Neopuff.
Mr Johnson says if that was the case, what caused the collapse in the first place? NJ: "He had no naturally occurring problem at the time to cause that extremity of collapse."
Minna Lappalainen noted a 'distinction' between 'mucus' and "Clear fluid+++". Letby recorded: 'Vomited clear fluid nasally and from mouth'. The doctor recorded: 'Profuse vomit with desaturation'.
Mr Johnson says the jury can be 'confident' with the 'contemporaneous evidence' that what came out was 'not just mucus'. He says it could not have been milk as Child Q only had 0.5ml of milk each 2 hours.
Dr Bohin noted if there was 'clear fluid+++' for Child Q, there was "no innocent explanation" for that. The observation chart showed whatever happened at 9.10am was "an acute event" and it happened in the space of 'minutes'.
She added that could not have been from the milk Child Q had earlier. She added if Child Q did have NEC, he recovered too quickly for that.

4:08pm

Mr Johnson says he has 'deliberately not spent a long amount of time' on handover sheets.
He says Letby hasn't told the truth on them, as the truth doesn't help her.
He says the point is very simple for the notes overall - the notes contain admissions, regarding her 'isolation from friends'. He says it has been categorically proved that was a lie, as shown by her social engagements [in a folder].
He says after Letby left the neonatal unit, she put in a 'lying Datix form', for Letby 'getting her defence in first'. The messages Letby sent 'clearly showed she knew there was going to be an investigation'.
The Datix form, timed 3pm on June 30, 2016 is a "devious effort to avoid suspicion."

4:28pm

Mr Johnson lists the common events for the babies in this indictment by categorisation.
By ones who collapsed despite having good air entry but saturations were dropping: Child A, C, D, G, H [second event], I [third event and fourth event], M, O [twice], P.
By bleeds and/or bleeding in throat: Child C, E, G, H, N, plus 'false note by Letby' in K.
Unusual discolouration: Child A, B, D, E, I, M, O, H.
Suffered life-threatening collapses out of nowhere then recovered very quickly: Child B, D, H [both collapses], I [events one to three], M, N, O, P.
Children who collapsed when designated nurse left or leaving the room: Child C, D, G [first event], I [second event and fourth event], K, N [first event], P [third collapse - when doctors were out of the room], Q [slight variation - when Letby got herself out of the room].
Premature babies screaming/crying unrealistically at time of collapse: Child D, E, I, N.
Children who collapsed shortly after being visited by their parents: Child B, H, I [first event], M, N, O, P.
Children who recovered quickly when taken to other hospitals: Child H, I [after 3rd collapse], N, Q.
Mr Johnson says Child K's tube never moved after being transferred out of the Countess.
When Letby participated in inappropriate post-death behaviours: Child C, I, O.
Poisoned by insulin: F, L.
Mr Johnson says if Letby had not sabotaged seven babies, they would all have gone home. The other 10 babies, Letby attempted to murder.

4:28pm

That concludes the prosecution's closing speech.

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue
·
23m

Mr Johnson listed a further 10 categories, that the Crown say, link the cases. He wrapped up his speech by saying that seven babies "would have all gone home" had nurse Lucy Letby "not sabotaged them"

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue
·
23m

In his final remarks to the jury after a nine month trial at Manchester Crown Court, prosecutor Nick Johnson KC said "that’s our case and you'll let us know if we’re right"

Dan O'Donoghue

@MrDanDonoghue
·
23m

Lucy Letby's defence counsel, Ben Myers KC, will begin his closing speech tomorrow.

"As he came to the end of his address Mr Johnson read out a series of lists of babies who had similar experiences across a number of categories.

These included infants who had bleeds in their throats, those with unusual colouring, those who had screamed or cried uncharacteristically, and those who collapsed shortly after being visited by their parents.

The barrister then told the jury: 'If anyone tries to tell you there are no similarities in this case, you've got a list now'.

None of the babies can be identified for legal reasons, but Mr Johnson named each of the alleged murder victims as he listed those who would all have gone home from the Countess of Chester Hospital had Letby 'not sabotaged them'.

He then read out the names of the other 10 babies Letby is accused of trying to murder.

In his final words to the jury, he said: 'That is our case, and you'll let us know if it's right'."

"Letby submitted a clinical incident report stating that on June 30, 2016 she noticed a bung had been left off the port of an intravenous line, which could accidentally let air in.

The shift was her last on the unit before she was moved to clerical duties [...]

[...] prosecutor Nick Johnson KC said: “It is Lucy Letby, we say, getting her defence in first. She knew the net was closing.

“Text messages showed she knew there was going to be an investigation.

“She put in a form that contained a lie and the purpose of putting this in is to create the impression that air embolism could have arisen on the unit as a result of poor practice.

“It is a calculated attempt by a devious woman to deflect suspicion.”

Mr Johnson told jurors they could be sure the report timed at 3pm was false because Letby would have started her shift at 8am and any nurse doing their job properly would not take that long to spot the issue."

Episode 42, The beginning of the end​

All the evidence has now been presented to the jury in the trial of Lucy Letby. In this episode, Caroline and Liz explain what prosecutor Nick Johnson KC said in his closing statement and how he is pulling together what he calls the ‘patterns' or ‘similarities’ in the alleged attacks.

Dan O'Donoghue
@MrDanDonoghue
·
10h

Lucy Letby's murder trial will not sit today due to a juror illness. Ms Letby's defence counsel, Ben Myers KC, was due to begin his closing speech - that's now pushed to next week.

Dan O'Donoghue
@MrDanDonoghue
·
10h

The judge has just indicated that - if there are no more delays - the defence closing will be completed by the end of next week, his summing up will be done the following week, meaning jury may go out to consider their verdict in week of 10 July

DEFENCE CLOSING SPEECH - Monday 26th June 2023

Day 1 - Morning Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 26 - defence closing speech

10:27am

The trial is now resuming, in the presence of all 12 jurors.

10:28am

Benjamin Myers KC, for Lucy Letby's defence, will now give the closing speech.

10:30am

He says he has been sitting next to the jury for nearly nine months, and can hazard a guess at what they may be thinking - 'five days' [for the expected length of his speech].
He says he is grateful for their presence and the material they have had to listen to, and its 'distressing' content.

10:32am

He says what struck him when listening to the prosecution, was that what Letby has done/not done, said/not said - that 'made her guilty'.
He says it's "as if the prosecution have a theory" and no matter what the evidence is, or isn't, is treated as to keep that theory going. He says it "doesn't matter how inconsistent that theory is" and that "different standards are applied to Lucy Letby".
"Everything is treated as evidence of her guilt".

He cites examples by the prosecution case - her presence when something happens, or not being present, or just leaving the unit, or just turning up for her work. Her making a note, or not making a note - 'guilty'.
He says if she signs for medical records, or signs for others - 'guilty'.
A baby in her care doesn't show signs of deteriorations - guilty. A baby does show signs of deteriorations - guilty.
He says it is "twisting and turning". She cries when giving evidence - guilty. She doesn't cry when giving evidence, or doesn't cry at the right times - guilty.

10:36am

He says there is 'not one occasion of Lucy Letby doing one of the harmful acts alleged against her.'
Mr Myers: "Not guilty."
He says "just about everything became an allegation against Lucy Letby".
He says what is really at work is "the presumption of guilt", and the prosecution case is "fuelled" and "riddled" by it.

10:39am

He says he would ask the jury to look at the "presumption of innocence", which is "like a bucket of cold water over everyone at this point". He says "that's the way it works" - "that someone is innocent until proven guilty", that the jury consider the evidence is "fair and balanced".
He says "five days is a lot to listen to" - today and into tomorrow is an overview of the defence case, then he will go through the counts individually in the closing speech.
He adds he recognises the "enormity" of what the jury have to go through.

He says the information presented has been a "spaghetti soup" of data and evidence, some of which "carries little weight at all".
He says the jury must look at the detail presented.
He says it is the jury's views that matter on the evidence.

He says that Letby being drawn into agreeing with things in cross-examination that she could not have known cannot be conclusive. He cites Letby being asked about staffing pressures, or the unit taking on too many babies.
He says the jury can draw "common sense conclusions" over all the evidence presented. He says Letby is "in no position to settle the issues" [on the unit].
He adds the issues in the trial being discussed are "harrowing and heartbreaking", and cannot be more serious, and 'nothing he says is to diminish the loss' suffered by parents. He says the defence feel upset and "overwhelming sympathy" for them.

10:51am

He says the emotional reaction to such serious, upsetting and sensitive charges "is to convict". He says the jury have to be "very careful" on the conclusions reached.
He says the prosecution "characterise" Letby, which "they are entitled to do", and he says the jury "must be alert to that".
He says the language of 'attack', 'gaslighting', 'sabotage', 'you're enjoying yourself', 'your favourite way of killing', playing god', 'calculating', 'manipulative' was sometimes "on the thinnest of evidence...or no evidence at all".
Mr Myers says Letby was in 2015: "She's a 25-year-old band 5 nurse, an excellent one - that's what she was, looking after dozens, if not hundreds of babies...day after day."
He says "you saw the real person" in her evidence and cross-examination, that she could "remember pieces of evidence" in the years she has been waiting for her trial: "There's little else to do in prison, isn't there?"
She was also "scared, anxious and struggling to hold it all together".

10:54am

Mr Myers cites "plausible deniability" as "if it was a done deal", "setting up cover".
He says the prosecution set up questions and answered them as "Lucy Letby", without referring to evidence.
He says the way Letby was dealt with in cross-examination was "bad".

He says Letby has been in prison, and in the dock, surrounded by 'commendable' prison dock officers, "standard measures". He says to 'look how this looks' for her in comparison to the witnesses who have come in. He says this is presented as an "inherent disadvantage".
He says the jury must "get past the emotions" and "look at the evidence".
He says there are two possibilities of what happened between June 2015-June 2016. He says one of the possibilities is the result of a medical condition, and a condition of the unit - the clinical fragility of the unit, and failings in care at the unit.
He says is the other is a nurse who "decided to kill children" or "tried to kill them" for reasons "which make no sense" and "out of the blue".
He says there was a "marked increase" in the number of babies taken on in the unit during that year. He says it was "too many" babies being admitted to the Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal unit with "too many" high requirements.
He says the babies were vulnerable as they were in the neonatal unit. He says what some people have said during the trial in evidence, that the babies were "doing brilliantly" there, "boggles the mind".
He says it is "no good brushing aside" the issue of sub-optimal care for the babies.

11:04am

Mr Myers says "the stand-out point" is "not once is there any evidence" of the acts of harm being done.
He says this is "the first time" the defence case has been set out.
He says the "suspect account" of Dr Ravi Jayaram "doesn't come close" to an account of an attack in progress, nor does the mother of Child E's account.
He says there are 22 counts, and 30 events, over 12 months, and "nothing" in evidence of Letby carrying out an attack.
He says that was despite Dr Jayaram saying it was "all eyes on Letby" after Child D.
Mr Myers adds the jury can use "circumstantial evidence" to highlight sub-optimal care.

11:14am

He says: "We are the only people who will stand up for Lucy Letby - no-one else."
He says the defence case being at the end of the trial is "not an afterthought", and is "so important".
He says the prosecution "are not in any special position" with this - they have brought the evidence, "but it does not mean they are right with this".
He says there is a suggestion there has been a "hostile reaction" that Letby has "dared to defend herself" and disagree with the prosecution.
He says the prosecution "have gone out of their way" to present some aspects as "smoke and mirrors" and evidence by Letby in cross-examination and her evidence was "gaslighting".
He says it is "unjustified" and "unfair".
Mr Myers says the jury can judge the staffing competencies.
He says the prosecution "don't want you to think" about doctors Ravi Jayaram and David Harkness's inconsistent accounts on skin discolouration, that it was a "stunning omission" for them not to put the skin discolouration in notes or in their reports for inquests. He says that point was only uncovered in cross-examination.
He disagrees with the suggestion the defence were "gaslighting" the jury. He says it was "not smoke and mirrors" or "gaslighting".
Mr Myers says the unit did face "unusual and increased demand" over the 12 months. He says the trial is not about the NHS, or doctors/nurses in general.
He says the defence are entitled to be critical of the neonatal unit. He says there is a suggestion there is an "outrage" the defence have "dared" been critical of it.

11:21am

Mr Myers says it was accepted by the prosecution there was sub-optimal care in the cases of Child D and Child H, but in the latter they did not give much more detail.
He says for Child A, there was a 'four-hour' "delay in fluids", and the "line was placed too close to his heart" and was 'not in the optimal place'.
"There is plenty of sub-optimal care knocking about in this unit".
He says some of the sub-optimal care is 'more contentious than others'. He says there is a "list" for Child H, including the second chest drain for Child H. 'Poor management of stomas' for Child J, and not moving Child K to a tertiary centre, a failure to have factor 8 ready for Child N, 'mistakes in ventilation' and 'getting the doses of adrenaline wrong' for Child P. Failure to react to 'dark bile aspirates' for Child C for 24 hours. He says Child Q was moved to a tertiary centre after three bilous aspirates.
He says that is on top of 'babies not being in the right place'. He says babies like Child G and Child I were "prone to serious problems" and "not always" looked after sufficiently qualified staff.
He says 'with one exception', senior consultants refused to accept anything was wrong in the 12 months, except for one doctor who failed to attend an emergency as quick as she should have been in the case of Child E.

11:25am

Mr Myers says evidence presented on October 25 by Dr Dewi Evans: "One tends not to spread news about the mistakes we make", in reference to doctors. He says that is a piece of evidence 'to keep in mind'.
He says that was "one of the many things" that came out of his "relatively lengthy" evidence.
He says: "In a way, haven't we seen that in this trial?" He says that in relation to doctors being resistant to criticism.
He adds no-one, including Letby, is immune to criticism. He says doctors would come with 'prepared speeches'.
He says "don't think the senior doctors came here without motives of their own".
He adds: "however you look at it, there was a terrible failing of care" at the unit.

11:26am

He says senior doctors have 'in various ways' suspected Letby was doing something 'for months and months'. He says those doctors 'said/did nothing to raise the alarm...when nothing prevented them from doing so.'
He says if they were right, that failure to do anything right was "staggering".
He says whichever way, it was a "terrible failing in care".

11:30am

Mr Myers: "You will understand the stakes [in this trial] are very high.
"We don't say 'doctors bad'. We say for those senior consultants who presided at that unit...Lucy Letby getting the blame matters."
He says the prosecution used the expression, the 'gang of four' consultants of Dr Jayaram, Dr Stephen Brearey, Dr John Gibbs and a female doctor [who cannot be named]. He says the doctors 'have an interest in what happens here' and each of them 'had gone out of their way to damage Lucy Letby' in their evidence. He cites an example on pneumothroaxes presented by Dr Gibbs which he says was "unneutral".
He says "one way or another" the unit "failed". He says this case is a "prime opportunity" to "hide" bad/poor outcomes.

11:32am

He says the unit was "noticeably busier" than it had been in previous years, and there was "no change in the staffing levels". He says doctors are "running to and from the neonatal unit" in emergencies. He cites an example in the final collapse of Child I.

11:35am

He cites Dr Sally Ogden's evidence that June 2015 was a "particularly busy" time at the unit, and that was a combination of factors, including the complexity of the babies' needs, the number of staff, and total unit admissions.
He says the increased busyness increases the likelihood of mistakes and the chances of missing developing problems in babies.

He says the Countess was designed to look after babies of 27 weeks + (gestational age), and there were babies in this case who would be "far better" cared for at a tertiary centre, and evidence had been heard that for Child K's case, the tertiary centre care could have made a difference.
He says between June 2015-June 2016, the unit was "under a much greater burden".
He says during this time, whatever the hospital had to "deal with changed".
He says after the Countess neonatal unit became a 'level one unit' after June 2016, two more consultants were added. He says that is indicative of staffing pressures prior.

Mr Myers continues his closing speech.
He says the single most important direction in the trial is the burden of proof, which is on the prosecution, and it "never shifts" to the defence.
He says the prosecution "have to make you sure", and there are so many areas where the evidence "is not clear".

11:58am

He says the jury have to be "sure of deliberate harm" and "with the intent to kill", and the jury must assess the "quality of evidence".
He says the "medical evidence is the foundation of this case".
Mr Myers says Lucy Letby denies all the allegations. He says it must be identified harm being done, and being sure there was an intent to kill at the time. He repeats that Letby denies doing anything like that on any occasion.
He says the case is "about an insistent intent to kill". He says that much be considered in the context of Letby 'raising the alarm' for some of the babies, or looking after some of the babies 'before and after their events'.

12:04pm

Mr Myers refers to the theory of air embolus, and if that 'works' each time, why would someone change it up to administering insulin.
He says it is 'awful' to think about it, but to go with the prosecution case, he asks why the methods used varied.
He says the prosecution referred to levels of insulin were doubled for Child L than for Child F. He says for Child F the level of insulin, from the lab result, was 4,657, whereas for Child L it was 1,099, and the insulin/insulin c-peptide ratio was lower, and 'must be a quarter of the strength'. He says "that was evidence, it was wrong".
He says if there was an intent to kill, then the dose wouldn't be a quarter of the strength second time round. He says whatever happened, "that wasn't an intention to kill".

12:10pm

Mr Myers says "various factual allegations" came across Lucy Letby which amounted to 'wholescale document fraud', referred from 'page 34,536 of the evidence', he says, including children not on the indictment - such as 'the Stoke baby'.
He asks why witnesses were not cross-examined about such incidents, on 'falsely identifying names' on paperwork, over the months.
He says the "prosecution have been looking for things...so they can shore up".
He cites a piece of evidence from the case of Child H, a note by Alison Ventress about a chest drain. He says she gave evidence, and she was cross-examined about it, about chest drains moving. He says that was no part of any allegation, and "it came out of nowhere" in cross-examination, "it suddenly became part of an allegation".
He refers to a note about blood-stained secretions for Child H, made by Letby. He says the prosecution used that note as an opportunity "to bolster their list" by asking her if she had altered Child H's ET Tube.

12:14pm

Mr Myers says Letby was asked about how long she had been on the phone when feeding a baby not on the indictment, and how long she was spending texting.
Letby had said: "You think I pushed it in, didn't you?" Mr Myers said Nicholas Johnson KC, for the prosecution, replied: "I do."
Mr Myers asks where had that come from, and "there was no evidential basis" for that. He says it was "an allegation on the hoof". He says no-one suggested that baby had a vomit was unwell.
He says that allegation was "made in passing".

12:19pm

Mr Myers moves to the issue of 'delay'. He says there is an issue with missing door swipe data between July-October 2015, and allegations are made against Letby during that time, such as during the case of Child I.
He says the prosecution had accused Letby of 'making up a note' for September 30, 2015. Mr Myers says the prosecution can make that allegation as the door swipe data is missing for that date.
Another note is referred to for October 14, 2015. He says Dr Matthew Neame's note, timed at 5.55am, is used as evidence there was a delay in reporting the issues. Mr Myers says it is their case 5.55am was when the note was written, not the time he attended. He says there is no door swipe data for that day to say when that doctor arrived.

12:22pm

Mr Myers says there is missing post-mortem examination evidence for Child E, which allowed the prosecution to present evidence of 'bleeding from the throat'. He says that allowed the prosecution to provide linked evidence. He says there is no evidence to show it, post-mortem.

12:29pm

Mr Myers moves to the topic of 'lists'.
The 'staff presence' of when staff were on shift during the times of the 25 events for the babies. He says it is a "major part of the prosecution case" that Letby is present "far more often" than other staff.
Mr Myers says it "doesn't show fault".
He says "one thing that is striking about this chart" is having focused on it in the opening, there has been no reference to it at the end. He says the jury might wonder why that is.
Mr Myers says it is "obvious now" that the list isn't complete. It is "missing two or three events" which could be considered "harm events".
He points to Child N's case at June 14, 'night', for Child N's second event at 7.15am. Mr Myers says that is correct, and evidence had been heard Child N was unwell that night. He says Dr Sandie Bohin identified that in her evidence. He says Letby wasn't on duty for the night shift.
He says the prosecution say Letby 'did something' before she left her shift the previous night - "what, we don't know".
He says the point is that Letby 'wouldn't be in that shift' and the note would be blank.

12:37pm

Mr Myers says there is a 'harm event' for Child C, as identified by experts, on June 12, 2015, which is not in the sequence of events, and is not on the list. He says Letby was not on duty at that time. He says the prosecution are "not that bothered" for that one as Letby "wasn't on duty".
For Child I, there was a 'harm event' identified which is not included on the chart, and says the table 'doesn't look so good'.
He says there was a third 'harm event', not featured on the indictment, for Child G. He says Dr Sandie Bohin had said there were no further projectile vomits. Mr Myers says he referred to a third event happened on October 15, 2015 by Ashleigh Hudson, at 7.20pm...'one vomit, projectile, quite large in size'.
Dr Bohin said if she had missed it, she missed it, Mr Myers tells the court. He added that was her attitude.
He says there are 'at least two, maybe three events' which happened for the babies when Letby was not on duty. Child C on June 12, 2015; Child I, August 23; and Child N, June 14, 2016, night.

12:50pm

Mr Myers refers to the 'list of similarities' that Mr Johnson used at the close of his speech.
He says the lists are "not similar" and "how on earth" they are supposed to show a pattern of criminal behaviour. He says they are "masses of lists of differences" He says it is "dead right" they are a list of "dissimilarities".
He says Child I features on eight of the lists. Child J is on 'none of them'. Child K is on one of the list. Child A and Child B on two, Child N, six, out of '11 similar features'.
He says the alternate reading is that for the babies a list does apply to, the remaining are for which they didn't. He says there is a 'mirror image', that a list which features seven babies, means that 10 babies did not have that similarity, and for one which features three babies, means it didn't happen for 14 babies.
"These lists mean nothing...unless it is linked to the harm alleged."
He says the list 'presumes a lot', that the defendant is guilty.
He cites the list of discolouration features for some of the children, which staff had not seen before or since. He says each discolouration has to deal with individual babies, whether there was sub-optimal care, and on the quality of the evidence featured. He says for Child A, the descriptions given were 'relatively poor'. He says for Child M, one witness saw a discoluration - Dr Ravi Jayaram. He says the basis of Child H's discolouration was a father's account for a description of the fingers.
He says the approach of the list is 'prejudged', 'misconceived and unfair', and the evidence is "very variable" and "create a fundamentally unfair situation".

12:53pm

Mr Myers says the jury have to be "very careful" to look at a "short-cut" approach.

DEFENCE CLOSING SPEECH - Monday 26th June 2023

Day 1 - Afternoon Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 26 - defence closing speech

2:00pm

Mr Myers says he will refer to 'brief looks' at Lucy Letby, the person she was and is, and documents, and the subject of 'experts', this afternoon.

2:05pm

He says who Letby is, and was, is at the "heart of this case". He says she had "never been in trouble before".
He says the jury will have formed an impression from her giving evidence of a "serious" person.
A photo of a noticeboard from her home, taken at the time of her arrest, "is a good snapshot of who she is, and was". The noticeboard includes a photo of Letby smiling.
The noticeboard photo isn't conclusive but "isn't unimportant" - "this is the person we were dealing with at that time".
He refers to the "commitment" Letby did in training to care for "hundreds and hundreds" of babies.
He says it is "important of the type of person she is".
He says it makes the allegations "all the more unlikely", and medical professionals had spoken "highly" of Letby. He says nurse Christopher Booth agreed she was 'conscientious and excellent', and it was "not unusual" for her to work overtime. He agreed she was a "hard worker". He agreed she would be "upset" by the events which unfolded, as it was a "harrowing time".

2:08pm

He says it does not automatically make someone a murderer because of their behaviour after a baby has died, that it can be a misjudgment, although that was how it was presented by the prosecution.
Mr Myers says Letby was "committed to her work" and evidence showed "how much she wanted to work". He says she was "young, keen, flexible".
He cites agreed evidence from one of Letby's nursing colleagues: "I also remember...we had massive staffing issues, where people were coming in and doing extra shifts. It was mainly Lucy [being a band 5 nurse]. Lucy was young, living in halls, saving up to buy a house, single, willing to do extra work shifts..."
Mr Myers says that would explain Letby's increased presence on the neonatal unt.

2:12pm

Mr Myers cites evidence from Eirian Powell, ward manager, in which he says she talked about Letby's importance on the unit, and said Letby was an "exceptionally good nurse" and had "known her since she was a student".
She said Letby was "very upset" when she was removed from the unit. Mr Myers says that upset was "no act". He says Ms Powell said Letby was "distraught".
Ms Powell said Letby was distraught as 'she thought she caused the deaths of the children'. Mr Myers says there is no doubt Letby was "very upset at the time" and this was "genuine distress".

2:15pm

Mr Myers refers to the 'striking' notes. He says they demonstrate the "anguish caused to Lucy Letby by what was happening".
He refers to the 'not good enough' note. He says Letby wrote that not to the court, not to the police, but to herself, plainly "showing how she feels".
He says that was "utterly consistent" of Letby being distraught about being taken off the unit.
He says Letby wasn't 'pretending to need anti-depressants' for years, and wasn't 'pretending to be suicidal'; "the impact was immense".

2:19pm

He refers to the social media evidence.
He asks what did the evidence give a false impression of - "that she dared to have a social life [in those two years before her arrest]?"
Mr Myers says Letby, in cross-examination, had agreed she would go to the races, and have 'fizz', and go on family holidays.
He says the photos show Letby having a "conventional social life".
He says photos like that rarely show what is going on inside.
He says there is nothing shown from the social life which runs contrary to the distress she was suffering.
He tells the jury: "If you look in the dock [at Lucy Letby], you can see the effect of years of this."

2:24pm

Mr Myers refers to the documents, such as the neonatal schedule, which have 'limits to what they show', as they "only show activity". He says they cannot pin down a nurse's time at a precise time, at a particular location.
He says the computer-timed prescriptions are not 'definitely precise.' He says the times are often made "retrospectively".
The review does not mention how long an activity takes - which can vary, Mr Myers adds.
He says the schedule provides a guide to timings, and does not show what somebody is doing when there is no record.
He says it shows that nurses may be shown to do more than one activity at a time. He adds many of the events have someone to assist, and says other nurses assist colleagues.
He says when that has been the case for Letby, she has been treated in "the most prejudicial way possible".

2:30pm

He refers to the subject of the text messages, which are "normal".
She was a "young professional woman with a life", and the messages contain "social activity and banter".
He says only when "you start with a presumption of guilt" can be taken as different.
He refers to the 'go commando' message. He says a young woman, being cross-examined, being "humiliated" about something 'completely unrelated to what we were talking about', in front of the public, in front of her mum and dad, was inappropriate.
He says "You saw me raise to my feet more than once" about the style of questioning, and the comment about 'running out on your boyfriend [doctor colleague]' was inappropriate.
He adds the messaging was "unremarkable". He says the basis of Letby being 'bored' was used as the basis of an allegation she went out to kill a baby.
He says "others were doing it at work" [text messaging in the workplace]. He cites four work colleagues who did so, and they were "normal...what you might expect".
He says there is "work, gossip, there is winning at the Grand National, there is salsa dancing...normal things."

2:35pm

Mr Myers refers to Facebook searches.
He says those familiar with social media will look up people for all sorts of reasons at any time of the day or night. He says it may be "no more than a handful of keys".
He says the prosecution identified a number of messages, and there were more messages than that, Mr Myers says.
He says the jury may agree Letby was a regular user of Facebook, and "rattle through searches".
He says the prosecution draw the jury's attention to the searches for parents, in connection with the allegations. He says that would be a pattern in line with the theory.
He says some of the parents names of babies on the indictment are missing from the Facebook searches. He says there are no searches for the parents of Child L-Q.
He says the searches by Letby also demonstrate an interest for parents of babies not on the indictment.
Mr Myers says that is "important", and Letby is seen as somebody who looks up names regularly.

2:38pm

He says of Letby's 2,318 Facebook searches, "only 31" related to parents' names on the indictment.
Mr Myers says Letby has not searched for things on 'air embolus', or 'forcing in air', or any 'fascination with what's alleged here'.
He says there is no evidence found Letby Googled 'haemophilia' following a conversation between a colleague nd Letby on Child N.

2:39pm

Mr Myers refers to the 2015 and 2016 diaries found at Letby's home. He says there is nothing in the 2015 diary which is relevant to the indictment.
He asks, if the diaries are relevant, why there is no reference to Child A-K in them.

2:44pm

Mr Myers refers to handover sheets.
He says it is "not difficult" to see why Letby would have handover sheets in the first place. He says the issue is why she would keep them in such quantities. He adds if that is evidence of her intention to kill.
He says Letby's position is she "didn't throw things away". He says Letby had a "habit" of retaining pieces of paper. He says Letby was 'collecting' in the style of 'accumulating', not as in "collecting stamps".
Letby had said, in cross-examination, she accumulated the paperwork, not its contents.
Mr Myers asks if the jury don't think this accumulation is "random", what is the prosecution's case for them? He says if Letby had handover sheets and only handover sheets relating to babies on the indictment, that would be significant, but a total of 257 handover were found, with 21 relating to babies on the indictment - "less than 10 per cent". He says there are no handover sheets for Child A, C or D.

2:47pm

Mr Myers says for the 21 handover notes relating to babies on the indictment, '9 or 10' do not refer to dates on which events for the babies happened.
He says "they don't do what they should do if the prosecution are right".

2:48pm

He says they do show someone who hangs on to paper "compulsively".
He refers to the shredder, and what Letby didn't shred. He says if Letby had thought there would be a police investigation - as written on one of her notes - she would have shredded the handover notes.

2:51pm

Mr Myers refers to the subject of 'experts'.
He says the prosecution medical evidence is 'central' to their case. He says it is crucial to show the jury that there is no medical cause for the collapses of babies, and that substandard medical performance is ruled out, and that the alleged harmful acts took place.

2:55pm

Mr Myers says experts should be assessed as other witnesses. He says they don't decide the case, and their assistance is needed to explain how the babies collapsed.
He says the jurors should take their evidence into account, but "you don't have to accept them".
He says there are 'certain features which are important', that the witnesses in their field "must be an expert" and the "expert is an expert on their topic", and that was something, he said, was recognised by Prof Sally Kinsey, an expert in haematology, who "acknowledged frankly" she was "not an expert" on air embolus.

2:59pm

Mr Myers says theories on air embolus were cited by one expert in 'pigs and rabbits', not neonates.
He says expert evidence should be 'independent and objective', 'neutral - just stating it as it is', and 'not an advocate for one side or the other'. He asks if Dr Dewi Evans, Dr Sandie Bohin and Dr Andreas Marnerides gave impartial, objective evidence.
He says if the experts do not come out to that, it is "game over for their opinion on that topic".

3:01pm

The judge, Mr Justice James Goss, brings the jury's attention to a matter raised in their absence earlier today. He refers to a matter of the chart presented earlier today, to a list of events and which staff were on duty, presented in court on screens.
The judge says he and the jury had 24 events listed on their bundle of evidence, whereas the screen had 25 events listed. The 25th event was irrelevant to the point raised by Mr Myers, and was from an earlier version of that document.

3:15pm

The trial is resuming after a short break.
Mr Myers continues to give the closing speech.
He says, in reference to Child Q, he had omitted a reference from Dr Evans's report on Child Q vomitting. He says he accepts that was a mistake.
He says Dr Evans had been criticised "in scathing terms" by a court of appeal judge. He says Dr Evans is the prosecution's 'lead expert', and the prosecution not referring to that criticism in the closing speech is "appalling", and his evidence 'underpins' their case.
He says Dr Evans is 'not a neonatologist - and that matters'.

3:20pm

He says Dr Evans hasn't got current clinical practice, and "a good deal of his knowledge is historic" and he is "an expert at being an expert", and "his focus is on that, and not in clinical practice".
Mr Myers said Dr Evans had accepted his principal role in recent years was of being an expert, and attended a course on having to 'avoid pitfalls'.
Mr Myers: "We say he should have been taking a lot more notes at that course".
Dr Evans said he had called himself a medical independent witness, not as an expert, and he had come to assist the court on challenging medical issues.
Mr Myers: "There you have it from the horse's mouth. He is meant to be an expert."
"You may think that frank assessment was more revealing than you can imagine."
He says Dr Evans's evidence is the starting point for the other experts. "He has led the way on medical opinion."

3:29pm

Mr Myers refers to how Dr Evans came to be involved in the case. Dr Evans said he had been contacted by the National Crime Agency.
The court is shown an email from Dr Evans: 'Incidentally I've read about the high death rate for babies in Chester, and that the police are investigating. Do they have a paediatric/neonatal contact? I was involved in neonatal medicine for 30 years, including leading the intensive care set up in Swansea...'
Mr Myers says the email concluded 'interested to help. Sounds like my kind of case'. He says Dr Evans 'Did not like' the suggestion he was "touting" for work.
Mr Myers says his credibility was affected. He "touted for work on his kind of case" created a "misleading impression".
He says Dr Bohin was given a reference and Dr Marnerides has relied "heavily" on Dr Evans's opinions.
Mr Myers: "He is a full member of the prosecution team from the very start. He is not neutral. He is not independent in any way."

3:33pm

Mr Myers says he had, in evidence, asked Dr Evans if he had come up with air embolus first. He said he'd had.
Mr Myers refers to the chronology. He says doctors including Dr Jayaram were suggesting air embolus from July 2017.
Dr Brearey said there were two meetings with police, including one on May 15. At that meeting, Dr Jayaram raised concerns with police about air embolus. Mr Myers says this is before Dr Evans got in contact after that point.
Mr Myers says Dr Evans was "very keen to get involved" and "unless they [Dr Evans and the police] met in silence" in July 2017, then Mr Myers says Dr Evans would have been informed about a theory of air embolus after being relayed suspicions by the police.

3:43pm

Mr Myers says Dr Evans was cross-examined "for months" about his 'lack of independence'.
He says Dr Bohin "has done the same thing but with rather more subtlety".
He refers to agreed facts, of December 5, 2022, of a judge's ruling in a court of appeal, in which there had been a report of Dr Dewi Evans. Included in his reasons for refusal, the judge said: "The report is worthless and shows no support whatsoever for an appeal.
“No attempt has been made to engage with the full range of medical information or the powerful contradictory indicators.
“Instead the report has the hallmarks of an exercise in ‘working out an explanation’ that exculpates the applicants.
“It ends with tendentious and partisan expressions of opinion that are outside Dr Evans’ professional competence and have no place in a reputable expert report.
“For all those reasons, no court would have accepted a report of this quality even if it had been produced at the time of the trial.”
Mr Myers says those comments are "appalling". He says the language from the judge "resonates very uncomfortably" with the evidence presented in this case.
"Those comments paint a disgraceful picture".
Mr Myers says those comments were put to Dr Evans. He said Dr Evans the Lord Justice of Appeal had got it wrong.
Mr Myers "the worrying thing" is "he wouldn't really accept the criticism at all".
Mr Myers says that decision "coincides with the months we have spent complaining about [him]".
Mr Myers says Dr Bohin hasn't 'peer reviewed' Dr Evans, but "supported him as far as she can", and "is every bit as much a part of the prosecution team [as he is]."

3:50pm

Mr Myers says Dr Bohin has "worked" to agree where she can.
"We do say she has been doing her best to shore up the allegations as far as she can."
He says of Dr Andreas Marnerides, a pathologist, "is not a clinician, is not a paediatrician or a neonatologist", which "puts some limits [on his expertise]". He says his expertise is on what happens following a death, not in life.
He says Dr Marnerides is "reliant" on the evidence of others, something which he agreed. He says he made a lot of reference to Dr Dewi Evans, and it is "too late in the day" to "insinuate" it is someone else.

DEFENCE CLOSING SPEECH - Tuesday 27th June 2023

Day 2 - Morning Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 27 - defence closing speech

10:35am

The trial is now resuming.
Benjamin Myers KC is referring to the case of Child A.
He says there was sub-optimal care in that case.
He says on a neonatal unit, babies "are there for a reason" and many of the babies have "signficant problems" and are "at risk of deterioration".

10:37am

He says Melanie Taylor was designated nurse for Child A and Child B. They were both intensive care babies.
He says the prosecution have relied on nursing guidelines for some of the children, but not on the "fundamental issue" of staffing numbers. He says there "should not have been just one nurse" looking after Child A and Child B. He says if there was one nurse for each, they would be "more confident" the issue of lines and nursing care was resolved. He adds Dr David Harkness was stretched between a number of babies for the shift on June 8, 2015.

The respiration rate chart for Child A is shown, with what Mr Myers says is "escalating up to the point of collapse", and is in a yellow bracket (ie elevated above normal). He says [medical expert] Dr Sandie Bohin would not accept that, saying it was stable.
Mr Myers says the defence wonder how much attention was paid to Child A, with Melanie Taylor looking after two babies.
Mr Myers says Child A received no fluids for four hours, and Dr Bohin agrees it was "sub-optimal".
He says the long line was "in the wrong place" for Child A. He said the records show it was not correctly sited. He refers to an x-ray review on June 8: 'Long line...to be pulled back'. Dr David Harkness put in 9.20pm he was unable to move the long line as he had been called to another patient.
Mr Myers says Dr Harkness had a review with colleagues the following day and they agreed it was in a 'perfect place'.
Mr Myers cross-examined Dr Bohin on the long line position, which she reported was 'not in the best position'. He says Dr Bohin didn't mention it in her evidence.
Mr Myers says the line 'was too close to the heart', and fluids were put down it, and Child A had a fatal collapse within 20 minutes of that. He says Dr Harkness removed the line as soon as the collapse happened.

10:50am

He says Letby helped a nurse with sterilisation. He asks when was she supposed to have done what she was alleged to have done, and next to Dr Harkness and Melanie Taylor.
He says there is "nothing to support" that Letby got a syringe and injected some air.
He says "no-one could access" the lines without opening the incubator first.

10:55am

Letby said it was Melanie Taylor who set up and connected the line and put up the fluids. Melanie Taylor "couldn't remember which way it was". Mr Myers says that is something the prosecution would have "absolutely slated" her if she was the one accused.
Mr Myers says another nursing colleague gave "lots of evidence", but "could not remember", in evidence, who connected the line. He says in cross-examination, from her January 2018 police interview, the colleague said: "it appears I was able to say then it was Mel who did it".
Mr Myers says on the evidence, there is "no basis" of Letby being guilty of any offence for Child A. He says this account is "firmly based on the experts" who agreed on air embolus.

Mr Myers refers to the 'overarching theory of air embolus'. He says "at the heart of it" are Dr Dewi Evans and Dr Sandie Bohin, 'neither of whom are experts on air embolus'. He says they relied on a research paper written over 30 years ago.
He says he asked them the clinical signs of identifying an air embolus. They both said a sudden and unexpected collapse. They said a skin discolouration, and the presence of air in the great vessels. Dr Evans added 'resuscitation is unsuccessful'.
Mr Myers not one of those criterium have been applied consistently across the trial, and they have been 'chopped and changed' to suit the evidence, with 'extraordinary contortions' to fit. "My word, it changed", he adds.

11:05am

Mr Myers says the research paper from 1989 identified 5 out of 53 infants with skin discolouration, and one had a rash, of 'bright pink vessels against a generally cyanosed cutaneous background'.
He says it is a very specific description, of one case study. He says as the basis of convicting someone of murders and/or attempted murders it is "tenuous in the extreme", but Dr Evans and Dr Bohin have made reference to it.
That "meagre" research has "carried into pure guesswork", he adds.
Professor Sally Kinsey, a professor of haematology, had also given evidence. She had said in cross-examination, she was not an expert in air embolus. She agreed she hadn't seen it herself, and that air embolus did not feature in her expertise. She said she had given evidence because "she had been asked to". Mr Myers said she had relied upon Dr Evans and Dr Bohin, which he adds was a "big mistake".

11:15am

Mr Myers says there are many causes of discolouration to a baby, and there isn't a precise description as there is no photograph of any. He says the descriptions vary between the witnesses. He adds sometimes the descriptions have come months or years afterwards, after people have listened to other people's descriptions, and the dangers of recollection being 'contaminated or influenced are obvious'.
Mr Myers says 'unexpected collapses' can happen to neonatal babies. He says Child D had pneumonia and was at risk of collapse.
He says for 'resuscitations unsuccessful', the proportion of babies who recovered in this case "doesn't make sense".
He says the air is 78% nitrogen and "doesn't just go". He says it is "static, it is a blockage", and would be found post-mortem. He says the jury won't find air in the heart, post-mortem, in any of the cases.

11:26am

Mr Myers says the jury know what an air embolus looks like, from how Professor Owen Arthurs described it, and a radiograph image was supplied with the research article. He says it looks "nothing like" what was shown in this case.
He says for Child G, the image looks "nothing like", and the UVC is "misplaced" to the lower liver. A second image for Child G shows the baby 'in life', with an air embolus.
He says an air embolus can happen "by accident" in legitimate medical treatment. He says Dr Bohin "reluctantly" accepted that could be the case. He says Dr Evans refused to accept it.
Mr Myers says the scientific evidence "falls short" on air embolus in this case, with background research "poor", and the guidance has been applied "inconsistently".
He says the evidence "is so poor" it "cannot be used" to back the allegations.

11:37am

Mr Myers refers back to the case of Child A.
He says there was a 'failure to read subtle signs'.
He says the "crucial" element is there is no evidence of air embolus.
He says the prosecution have gathered witness accounts from this trial of the skin discolourations. He says those recollections can change over the years. He says there is no reference to discolouration in the contemporaneous notes for Child A, which he says is "extraordinary".
He says nurses Caroline Bennion and Melanie Taylor didn't note anything remarkable.
He cross-examined Dr Harkness on the description, who was "very animated" on the "striking" discolourations and "unexpected deterioration", but did not note it at the time, or in a statement to the coroner.
He says the evidence by a nursing colleague noted, in a 2018 police interview, Child A was 'centrally pale', with limbs 'white'. Mr Myers cross-examined her on it, and asked her about 'blotchiness', and where that had come from. She agreed the description was different between police interview and evidence.
Dr Jayaram said Child A was 'pale blue', with discolouration 'flitting around'. Mr Myers says the description he gave from the interview was 'very similar' to the one from the research paper.
My Myers says the description does not appear in his clinical notes at the time, or in the "lengthy statement" to the coroner.
Mr Myers says it is a "remarkable coincidence" that two doctors did not give evidence of discolourations to the coroner in a statement, or note it at the time.

11:39am

My Myers says there is "no fair or proper basis" for an air embolus for Child A, and sub-optimal care, with the "long line in the wrong place".

The trial is now resuming following a short break.

11:55am

Mr Myers refers to the case of Child B.
He says Child B's deterioration on June 10 was "relatively brief", and didn't involve her being intubated. He says the defence accept there is no obvious medical condition or obvious evidence of sub-optimal care.
He adds the evidence of an injection of air for Child B's deterioration "is so weak" and "unclear". He says: "If it isn't clear, therefore not guilty."

12:03pm

Mr Myers says there can be deteriorations for which the cause cannot be identified.
He said there had been a number of attempts to insert a line - five by Dr David Harkness - for Child B, when the guideline was a maximum of three. He says the difficulties of inserting lines can put a baby under stress.
He says Dr Evans, in cross-examination, went through all the potential causes. He says it was suggested Letby had moved the nasal prongs, or that Child B had been "smothered" - Mr Myers says there was no evidence of that, and it was 'abandoned'. He says the conclusion was of air embolus.
A nursing note by a colleague said the prongs had been moved, and "it was not unusual" for the prongs to be moved out by a baby.
On air embolus, Mr Myers says nursery room 1 "is a busy nursery" with staff coming and going.
Belinda Simcock [Williamson] said, to police, there are 4 drugs cupboards and a sterile fridge, with keys held by the shift leader or a band 6 nurse.
"It was constantly busy - I would liken it to a bus station," she said.

12:07pm

Mr Myers says for this allegation, Letby would have to be close to Child B - "and of course, she is not".
He said it was "normal" for her to be assisting a nursing colleague in room 1, in assisting putting up the TPN bag at 12.05am. He says the nursing colleague is "not going to miss that" if air is injected, and it would not take 25 minutes for it to have an effect [when the deterioration takes place].
Mr Myers says at the time of deterioration, Letby was with the nursing colleague and not with Child B. He says the nursing colleague had said she was "keeping a particularly close eye on [Child B]", given the prongs had been dislodged and what had happened to Child A.

12:12pm

Mr Myers says the deterioration was not rapid in this case, and resuscitation was successful.
A radiograph was taken 40 minutes after the deterioration. He says 'no-one is suggesting air' is present. He says that is different from the radiograph image for Child G, which was taken at Arrowe Park, where the air was still there.
He says for discolouration, there was contemporaneous notes at the time. He says the defence are not disputing these discolouration descriptions at the time.
He says none of the descriptions match that from the research paper.

12:17pm

My Myers said a doctor who had been present for Child A and Child B said what she had seen on Child B was something she had "not seen before", Mr Myers tells the court.
He says it is accepted the skin discolouration is 'striking', but what happened was 'not air embolus'.
He says it is not a particularly nice detail [to point out in comparison to other cases], but there was 'no screaming or distress' for Child B. He says that detail of 'screaming/crying/distress' was 'worked into the theory' by medical experts later in the case.

12:23pm

Mr Myers refers to a text message sent by Letby on June 12: '...They are querying a clotting problem [for Child B].' He says the prosecution said Letby was 'introducing cover' for events that had she had caused, "seizing on comments".
Mr Myers refers to a text message conversation on June 10, in which the colleague reported: '[Child A's] prelim report - no gross abnormalities. So now bleeds, clots or line issues.'
He says this is something Letby is talking about after being informed about it by another nurse, and is "unremarkable".

12:29pm

Mr Myers refers to a note by a female consultant, and suggests Dr Evans 'grabbed at' an explanation of 'pink and active' to describe a rash on Child B. Dr Bohin, cross-examined on it, had said it was "a mistake".
Mr Myers says it was "not an innocent mistake".

12:33pm

Mr Myers refers to the case of Child C.
He says Dr Evans identified no cause for the collapse in his report, but identified air embolus in evidence.
He says a number of things are "wrong and unfair" about this case from Letby's perspective.
He says if Child C was 1g lighter, he would have been treated at a different hospital. He was very premature, poorly and had pneumonia when he died, and had black bile aspirates in the final 24 hours of life.
He says the medical experts refused to acknowledge Child C was more poorly than they said he was.
He says Letby is being blamed for something when 'on the evidence she wasn't even in the room when alleged harm was done.'

12:35pm

Mr Myers says there were "failures by the neonatal unit", and he should have gone to a tertiary unit for investigation, and there was no examination by a consultant at an earlier stage, or a sufficiently early response to the black bile aspirates, and there was a "general failure" to document things properly.
He says that was "circumstantial evidence" of sub-optimal care.

12:41pm

Mr Myers says the prosecution case was to minimise the problems for Child C.
In cross-examination, Letby said she could not recall if Child C had prior issues. Mr Myers says Letby was 'manoeuvred' into saying that was the case, and the defence do not accept Child C had no prior issues.
He says one of the notes had been put in the wrong patient's file, which was 'poor record keeping'. "Imagine if it was found Lucy Letby had done that? 'Plausible deniability'."

12:48pm

The note recorded bile on a blanket and black-stained fluid for Child C.
He says nurse Yvonne Griffiths hasn't signed for a 9am reading on June 12, and something was entered for noon and not signed.
He says bile on a blanket and black fluid is recorded in the nursing note at 6.30pm, but is not noted on the fluid chart.
He says a radiograph was taken at 12.36pm. Dr Evans, Dr Bohin and Dr Andreas Marnerides had all regarded the image as a 'suspicious event' of harm. He says Letby was not on duty. Dr Anne Boothroyd recorded 'marked gaseous distention of the stomach'.
Mr Myers says the jury should take this as "proof" the experts can "get it wrong".
He says if this event happened when Letby was on duty, Letby would be accused of causing it.

12:54pm

Mr Myers says futher bile aspirates recorded are a concern for Child C. Dr Sally Ogden had confirmed that could be serious, Mr Myers tells the court.
He says when cross-examined, Dr Ogden said it was "a worrying sign", and agreed it could be a sign of some gut obstruction.
Mr Myers says on all the evidence, Child C 'merited closer care and attention than he received'.
Dr Gibbs said, in cross-examination, intestinal obstruction 'could be one explanation'. He agreed bilous vomits were a 'red flag' for such an infant.

12:56pm

Mr Myers says Child C's bowels did not open throughout.
He says Dr Bohin was 'firmly against' suggestions Child C was not doing well, and that it was not relevant he did not leave intensive treatment unit. He says she had the "gall" to imply that where nurses recorded dark bile, it "could have been blood".
BM: "How is that better?...What a thing to say - she wasn't there."
He says it is an "extraordinary dismissal" of the evidence of "experienced nurses".

1:02pm

Mr Myers says Dr Bohin, for Child Q, bilous aspirates could indicate gastroenterology problems. He asks why that could not be highlighted as a problem for Child C.
Mr Myers says it was a "lack of care" that was a potential factor that led to Child C's collapse.
He says Professor Owen Arthurs was asked about the radiograph image for Child C on day three of life on June 12. He says if Child C had not opened bowels, it could be indicative of an obstruction. Mr Myers says Prof Arthurs was not aware the bowels for Child C had not opened, and there was no clinical record they had.

DEFENCE CLOSING SPEECH - Tuesday 27th June 2023

Day 2 - Afternoon Session

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 27 - defence closing speech

2:02pm

The trial is now resuming following its lunch break.

2:18pm

Mr Myers says, for the case of Child C, he looks at the post-mortem evidence of whether there was a gastrointestinal blockage.
He refers to the agreed evidence by the pathologist, Dr Kokai, who conducted the post-mortem examination, who recorded a 'distended colon' for Child C, which was not normal. He says Dr Marnerides refused to accept this evidence, who said the bowel was 'normal'.
The stomach contained 'a large amount of air'.
Mr Myers says Dr Evans was prepared to accept air being forced down the NG Tube on June 12 - when Letby was not on duty - but 'just came out' with air being forced down the tube, and an air embolus, in evidence for June 13, when he had not mentioned it in his pre-trial reports.
Mr Myers says that was "without any evidential basis at all".
He says Dr Bohin agreed that pneumonia was a contributory factor for Child C's death. He says the defence's position is that pneumonia made Child C more vulnerable, and Dr Bohin 'refused' to consider a combination of pneumonia and something else - such as an abdominal blockage - caused the collapse.
He says Child C was a "very poorly little boy" who "should have been transferred out of [Chester] with the problems he had", and had "sub-optimal care".

2:27pm

Mr Myers says Sophie Ellis "should not have been looking after" Child C, as she was "inexperienced" and put in charge of a "fragile little boy".
He says the collapse of Child C follows "the one and only feed" he received.
He says Sophie Ellis "didn't see Lucy Letby do anything wrong".
Mr Myers says the evidence of Melanie Taylor "contradicts" in court to what she said to police in 2018, "swapping Lucy Letby for Sophie Ellis". He says she was "utterly brazen about this" in cross-examination. He says the account changed so it put Lucy Letby in the room.
He says a female nurse colleague said in evidence was consistent with what she told police. She had been dealing with a different baby, in a different room, with Lucy Letby. She said between 10-11pm, she was called to assist Child C. She 'went to nursery 1, where Sophie Ellis and Melanie Taylor were Neopuffing [Child C]'.
Mr Myers says Letby is "nowhere near nursery room 1" at the time of the collapse.

2:39pm

Mr Myers moves to the case of Child D.
He says the "evidence is very clear" that Child D was "very unwell" at 12 minutes of age, but she wasn't given antibiotics for four hours, and Child D was born with pneumonia, and required ventilation, and was on it for 11 hours, and there were continuing signs of respiratory difficulties, requiring the use of CPAP.
He says after Child D's first collapse, it was discussed what to do, and there would 'be a low threshold to intervene from a respiratory point of view'.
He says after the second collapse, Child D was taken off CPAP, and Child D later collapsed fatally, and post-mortem was found with acute lung damage.
He says Child D was "very ill from the outset".
He says it is "a very unfortunate decision" after the second collapse that Child D was taken off CPAP after a discussion of a 'low threshold to intervene'.

2:46pm

Mr Myers refers to the pathologist's report for Child D, recording damaged lungs, "continuing respiratory problems". Presence of infection is "not ruled out" following negative microbiology tests, as Child D had been on antibiotics.
Mr Myers said despite that, Dr Marnerides "preferred" air embolus as a conclusion. He said he had taken into account clinicians' views of how well Child D was doing. Mr Myers says Child D was not doing well on respiration.
He says Dr Bohin had 'revealed' 'distress' was a sign of air embolus, for the first time in the case.

2:58pm

Mr Myers refers to nurse Caroline Oakley's notes of skin discolouration for Child D at the time. He says there is nothing there to identify a discolouration that matches air embolus.
He says in cross-examination, she began to give colours such as 'red-brown', and "ended up saying 'I remember an unusual rash'".
He says Kathryn Percival-Ward [Calderbank] had said in 2018 police interview that [Child D] changed colour, was mottled, and had seen it before, but...it looked unusual'. He says her memory had developed by the trial, calling it a 'mosaic' and giving a more detailed description with 'oval markings meeting up with each other'. He says "five years later we have a lurid description".
He says he is repeating himself by witnesses giving more detailed descriptions five years later.
Mr Myers suggests staff had met up in the meantime to 'share recollections', and this 'almost certainly' happened.
He says for Dr Bohin, there had been lengthy cross-examination on air embolus, and it went 'increasingly circular' and 'self-feeding'.
He says Dr Bohin had said Child D had two non-fatal collapses by referring to research in dogs, pigs and rabbits, and the results were "variable". Mr Myers says those "vague assertions" does not give confidence as to what happened with Child D.
He asks why the descriptions of discolourations vary each time, and why Child D was not seen to be in distress before the final collapse [having been in distress prior to an earlier collapse].

3:04pm

Mr Myers says doctors had agreed blood gas test results for Child D had declined - and Caroline Oakley agreed they "were not as good as they had earlier" on June 22, 2015, at 1.14am.
He refers to the 3.45am note by Caroline Oakley: '[Child D] desaturated and then became apnoeic. Called SN Letby to help.'
He says "yet again" Letby was being held responsible for an event where she did not have responsibility for that baby at that point. He says there is nothing linked to doing any harm.
BM: "Again - what is meant to have happened?"
He says the jury have to be sure of what.

3:07pm

He says there is "such a blunt point to be made": "We are looking at intentions to kill, from somebody whom the prosecution allege knows what they are doing [as it has already happened by this point, in their view].
"It's not going to take three goes is it? It would be one shot, sudden, and fatal."
Mr Myers the suggestion Child D did not die of pneumonia, as opposed to with pneumonia, is "unrealistic".
He says the case against Letby is "incoherent".

3:20pm

The trial is resuming after a short break.
Mr Myers is turning to the case of Child E.

3:23pm

He says there is a lot of pressure with all these events, and it is traumatic for the parents of Child E. He says it is important to look at the evidence as objectively as the jurors can.
He says the defence will look at the evidence of Child E's mother as 'sensitively' as they can.

3:30pm

He says it is important to note there was no post-mortem examination - "in this, of all cases", and that absence has 'allowed the prosecution to make all sorts of suggestions'.
He says doctors failed to deal with a bleed for Child E which was identified or suspected at 10.10pm on August 3. Mr Myers says it was "obvious" a transfusion would be required. He says a further note by Dr David Harkness at 11pm recorded a further gastrointestinal blood loss. He says "even here, no action for a transfusion". He says it was "delayed a further 45 minutes".
A female doctor said it was a "serious situation" at 10pm and a "very serious situation" by 11pm, and she agreed she wished she had got there sooner, as it was a medical emergency.
He says this is "obviously sub-optimal care".

3:35pm

Mr Myers it may not have been anyone's fault that Child E was at the Countess, but Liverpool Women's was 'full'.
He says it is "not extraordinary" that Child E became unwell, and one of the nurses suggested that stress could have caused acidosis and, as a consequence, bleeding.
Mr Myers says Dr Bohin would not consider bleeding as a cause of death. He says he knows it is distressing to talk about, and Child E did bleed to death. He says "everybody here could see [Child E] needed a blood transfusion".

3:39pm

Mr Myers refers to the allegation Letby attacked Child E at 9pm.
He says Child E's mother's account was she walked in and Letby was not near the incubator at the time. He says the prosecution's statement was a "highly charged" statement.
He says "that is the evidence", that Letby was "not causing harm".
He says he is sympathetic with Child E's mother. He says the prosecution have "done their best" to turn this "into a binary choice" - that 'either Lucy Letby is lying or [Child E's mother] is lying'. He says the prosecution have done that deliberately.
He says the question is what degree of accuracy has each said.
BM: "Perhaps can we take the heat out of that?"

3:42pm

Mr Myers recalls Child E's mother's statement.
He says there is no basis for what happened here to the bleed later, as Dr Harkness reviewed Child E later and found him to be 'stable'.
Mr Myers says the record of Child E's "horrendous" screaming, as recalled by Child E's mother - "cannot be like that". He says the unit would have been "full of people coming and going". He asks "how on earth" would that not raise the concerns of people nearby? He says it is "unrealistic" it can be "in the way she described".

Mr Myers recalls Child E's mother's statement on the 'bleed coming out of the mouth.' A description was made around the mouth and the chin.
He says on cross-examination, it was "agreed it was not completely fresh".
He says he suggested it could have been aspirate. The mother disagreed. Mr Myers says there is no suggestion by any doctor/nurse of Child E screaming.
The neonatal schedule for Child E on August 3 is shown. He says Caroline Oakley is involved in giving medication to Child F at 9.13pm, with Child F 'being near Child E at the time'.
Mr Myers says it isn't about lying, it is up to the jury to draw "a fair conclusion". He says no-one else had seen anything that coincides with this.

3:55pm

Mr Myers refers to the phone call at 9.11pm, and the defence say they don't doubt Child E's mother was distressed at that time. The defence suggest the details from the later phone call were moved to the earlier call, something which is not accepted by either parent.
Mr Myers says Child E's mother spoke to the midwife, Susan Brooks, which was agreed evidence. The midwife notes: 'Care since 2000hrs...[Child E's mother] asked me to let her know of any contact overnight from NNU as one of the twins- had deteriorated slightly...'
Mr Myers says this is the best, and maybe only, independent guide, for the event, and if the situation was more serious, it would have been noted as such.

4:00pm

Mr Myers refers to the expert witnesses' evidence.
Dr Evans and Dr Bohin referred to Dr Harkness's description of discolouration as background for 'air embolus'. He says Dr Harkness gave more detailed descriptions in police interview and in evidence than he had in clinical notes, including the 'mobility' of the colours of the discolouration.

4:06pm

He says at the time of the collapse, no-one was seen interfering with Child E, and Dr Harkness said Child E 'collapsed in front of our faces'. He asks where the attack is supposed to have happened.
Mr Myers says he is not going to go into detail of Child E's bleed after the collapse, "as it is awful".
He says Dr Evans had said, in his third report, an NG tube being forced in was the cause of the bleed. He added that was withdrawn a few weeks before the start of the trial.
Dr Evans said it was 'an option worth exploring' that a tube introducer had been used. Mr Myers says Dr Evans had taken up a role of investigator and hunting up ways to find a conviction.
Mr Myers says Child E's bleed "ran out of control and he died". He says there is no post-mortem examination, and Letby is getting the blame, and no "realistic opportunity" of air embolus.

DEFENCE CLOSING SPEECH - Friday 30th June 2023

Day 5

10%
Benjamin Myers KC, giving his fifth and final day of the defence closing speech, told jurors to use their knowledge of the case to look at the evidence, and entrusted them to analyse it as they have done "over the past nine months of their lives".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back