UK UK- Lynda Farrow, 29, pregnant, Battered/throat slashed @ home, Woodford Green, London, March 1979

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
1671070318332.png

1671070296520.png
Kelly-Ann Mills
Jan 2022 rbbm
''The detective who brought down killer Levi Bellfield and was the subject of ITV drama Manhunt is convinced the Playboy Bunny killer has a third victim.

Eve Stratford's horrific rape and murder has already been linked to that of 16-year-old schoolgirl Lynne Weedon, after DNA revealed they were both killed by the same man.

But former detective chief inspector Colin Sutton, who was played in the hit TV show by Martin Clunes, believes the same man was responsible for the death of 29-year-old Lynda Farrow.

Eve Stratford was attacked in her own home in March 1975, almost four years on in January 1979 Lynda Farrow was also killed in her home just five miles away.

Both women were attacked so savagely their heads were almost severed.

Lynda was pregnant with her third child when she finished her shift at the International Sporting Club and headed home to Woodford Green in east London.''

''The 29-year-old had been brutally battered and stabbed to death, but had not been sexually assaulted.
Police found footprints leading to the front door in the snow, the imprints came from size seven wellington boot and witnesses say a man running up the road.''

"I was quickly struck by the similarities with that of Eve Stratford.
"A woman killed in her own home by having her throat slit? That is rare enough today, in the 1970s it was almost unheard of.''

"With Eve Stratford all the evidence was available, which enabled us to send items away for modern scientific analysis.

"In Lynda’s case it was the reverse.

"This was particularly disappointing, as the physical evidence in Lynda’s murder has never been checked for DNA, cutting off an important detection route.

"The fact that the Eve Stratford and Lynne Weedon DNA profile remains unmatched tells us their killer has not been arrested in the past 20 years.

"I have no doubt the same man committed all three murders. Did he die, or move abroad? My gut feeling tells me he is still out there somewhere and still nervous about a knock on his door."

View attachment 387607

View attachment 387606
Kelly-Ann Mills
Jan 2022 rbbm
''The detective who brought down killer Levi Bellfield and was the subject of ITV drama Manhunt is convinced the Playboy Bunny killer has a third victim.

Eve Stratford's horrific rape and murder has already been linked to that of 16-year-old schoolgirl Lynne Weedon, after DNA revealed they were both killed by the same man.

But former detective chief inspector Colin Sutton, who was played in the hit TV show by Martin Clunes, believes the same man was responsible for the death of 29-year-old Lynda Farrow.

Eve Stratford was attacked in her own home in March 1975, almost four years on in January 1979 Lynda Farrow was also killed in her home just five miles away.

Both women were attacked so savagely their heads were almost severed.

Lynda was pregnant with her third child when she finished her shift at the International Sporting Club and headed home to Woodford Green in east London.''

''The 29-year-old had been brutally battered and stabbed to death, but had not been sexually assaulted.
Police found footprints leading to the front door in the snow, the imprints came from size seven wellington boot and witnesses say a man running up the road.''

"I was quickly struck by the similarities with that of Eve Stratford.
"A woman killed in her own home by having her throat slit? That is rare enough today, in the 1970s it was almost unheard of.''

"With Eve Stratford all the evidence was available, which enabled us to send items away for modern scientific analysis.

"In Lynda’s case it was the reverse.

"This was particularly disappointing, as the physical evidence in Lynda’s murder has never been checked for DNA, cutting off an important detection route.

"The fact that the Eve Stratford and Lynne Weedon DNA profile remains unmatched tells us their killer has not been arrested in the past 20 years.

"I have no doubt the same man committed all three murders. Did he die, or move abroad? My gut feeling tells me he is still out there somewhere and still nervous about a knock on his door."
It's interesting that in this one report they got the foot wear and shoe size wrong, on the Crimewatch appeal and other media stories it states that it was a UK size nine monkey boot, there were photos of a monkey boot on the Crimewatch appeal and at least one news story which showed the tread on the bottom of the show and a photo of one of the footprints which matched the tread on the Crimewatch appeal

I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this link, after being reported by a well known member for various mistakes as a very new member, I'm now paranoid about posting lol

This article pictures the monkeyboot, same photo used on the Crimewatch programme.

It's unfortunate that there was no saved DNA from Lynda Farrow's case, various sources state that no physical objects were saved and I believe no DNA taken due to the fact it was before it was known about. However it's been stated she was not raped, I even recall reading somewhere that her murder wasn't sexual because of that and which I personally don't believe. It could be that he hadn't originally realised she was pregnant and that put him off, maybe her coat and clothing disguised it or the angle he viewed her from, I feel due to the various descriptions of the scenario, and her just returning home, that he followed her or knew her from her work in the West End or via information from her ex husband who was angry about her pregnancy, leaving him and living with her bf. In the Crimewatch reconstruction they made it obvious that although her ex husband was cleared of the murder, he may have made a contract to kill her and he was deceased at the time if the programme so maybe somebody could come forward freed of any loyalty or concerns of his reaction.

It could be he was disturbed, I will try to find the news story, but I am sure I remember one stating that due to the snow that the girls were let from school early, I could be mis-remembering or the article I read may have been wrong so maybe that should be taken with a grain of salt.

I know from various tv programmes and articles I've read about murderers, serial killers etc that some men get sexually aroused by the act of violence and sadism and don't necessarily react at the crime scene but reliving it in their head later, so IMO various reasons stop me from thinking it wasn't sexual, including the fact I believe like many experts appear to, that it was the same person who killed Eve Stratford and Lynne Weedon. If only they had saved some DNA or something with DNA attached.

The short geographical distance between Lynda and Lynne, the fact both were glamorous blondes who had very public focused jobs in the elite west end, having their throats cut inside their own home... it's a lot to be coincidental.

Despite the lack of DNA that's available in the other two cases, there is quite a lot of other clues, the show size, palm prints on the door, two descriptions I read of men in the area which sound like it may be the same person and I am trying to find a photo fit or artist sketch in a reputable source.

It's interesting that in this one report they got the foot wear and shoe size wrong, on the Crimewatch appeal and other media stories it states that it was a UK size nine monkey boot, there were photos of a monkey boot on the Crimewatch appeal and at least one news story which showed the tread on the bottom of the show and a photo of one of the footprints which matched the tread on the Crimewatch appeal

I hope I'm not breaking any rules with this link, after being reported by a well known member for various mistakes as a very new member, I'm now paranoid about posting lol

That’s really helpful, thank you. The killer wearing wellies seemed very odd. This makes much more sense. What horrendous crimes. So, so brutal.

That’s really helpful, thank you. The killer wearing wellies seemed very odd. This makes much more sense.

The one description of a man hanging around with a tan and cowboy hat would have been even more odd if he was also in wellies. But 1970s was pretty random for clothing and accessories. There was another description of a guy running with an afro type hairstyle. I am trying to dismiss the stories that put forward the perp as possibly being Peter Sutcliffe as they did the same thing with Lynne Weedon before the DNA ruled that out, it seems much more likely IMO that Lynne, Lynda and Eve were killed by the same person.
I just wonder if any other cases can be linked. This person has similarities to Levi Belfield and peter Sutcliffe in their style.

Slitting throats and hammer attacks aren't common.

May 2022
''West End Girls: The Search for a Serial Killer will see Sutton re-open a 25-year-old cold case, examining both original and new evidence that links the murders of Eve Stratford and Lynda Farrow, the notorious ‘bunny girl’ murders, to two completely unconnected killings.

The deal was negotiated between Elizabeth Williams for Signature with Revelation’s Drane.

Williams called the acquisitions “important true crime documentaries that we expect to be riveting and revealing in equal measure,” adding Revelation’s previous programs “have been acclaimed hits.”

The possibility of it being a contract killing doesn't IMO rule out the fact it may have still been the same man who killed Lynda and Eve since we have no idea what his connections were, who he knew, his lifestyle etc. Considering the violence and his obvious lack of shyness in how he acted, he may have had more attachment to a life of crime, this wasn't so far from the 1960s when organised crime in the west end was rife, along with it a lot of violence and various gang members who didn't end up with long sentences. Only supposition on my part, but the level of violence.

May 2022
''West End Girls: The Search for a Serial Killer will see Sutton re-open a 25-year-old cold case, examining both original and new evidence that links the murders of Eve Stratford and Lynda Farrow, the notorious ‘bunny girl’ murders, to two completely unconnected killings.

The deal was negotiated between Elizabeth Williams for Signature with Revelation’s Drane.

Williams called the acquisitions “important true crime documentaries that we expect to be riveting and revealing in equal measure,” adding Revelation’s previous programs “have been acclaimed hits.”
That should be interesting, in this cold case it feels like time is of a premium as many people who may have known something and the perp themselves may not be around anymore or be around much longer.
I feel like this guy is very self controlled when he wants to be, so many people say something to someone and give themselves away, but I suppose it partly depends who they talk to.

Considering the fact he also didn't follow the same M.O in victim and style of attack in all, it could be some things he did have been completely missed. Maybe older victims, years later, I know of two cold cases in the North East in the mid 1990s and he did seem comfortable in that area.

This one references Lynda's daughters having their school day cut short by the snow and yet also like other things I read, states that them waiting at school for their Mum to collect them for a long time, unless the call she took on entering the house was from the school stating they were finishing early, why would they be saying they were waiting for her at the school and she failed to turn up ??? Confused. Anyway atleast one of the sources here states they got home around 3.30pm I believe. I do think that sounds like an early time to get home considering their ages and it's possible their arrival disturbed the killer. As stated in the Crimewatch reconstruction, he left via the back door. I wish I could find the door number to get an idea what was to the rear of the house, Whitehall Road is stated in the above link from The Guardian, as the road she lived on, well it's not very built up and quite long. There was mention in some of the above linked items that a white? car maybe a Ford Cortina, a was seen speeding off afterwards also...obviously the car, man running with afro and lurking man with cowboy hat and lumberjack shirt may all be completely innocent and unconnected or it may have been one or more of these, it's obvious nobody came forward to clear themselves for their descriptions to still be included.

This piece seems similar to the Mirror article, including misinformation of size 7 welly boots instead of the factually correct size 9 Monkey Boots (Edited to include this info)

Last edited:

Referring to the reactions from the Crimewatch appeal. (Typo edit)

Mentions also

"A white car, probably a Ford, possibly a Mark IV Cortina, was seen leaving the scene at speed. It has never been traced. Unidentified footprints were found outside the front and rear of the house, made by a pair of heavy boots known as "Monkey Boots"."

And Lynda's mother's plea to solve this while she was still alive, I'm not sure if the poor lady is still around considering she was elderly in 2012 when this appears to have been published.

I've been searching unsolved murders in the 1970s and 1980s, especially those in or around London and any associated with Peter Sutcliffe, the fact that the victims of the unknown murderer in this case, have being picked out previously as possible Ripper victims, means that looking at murder victims previously believed to have been killed by Sutcliffe in the London area, yet not proved, could victims of this guy instead. I believe the fact they are unsolved yet suspected victims of Sutcliffe means there is no DNA evidence.

Elizabeth Parravincina is an extremely strong contender. Geographically, physically, age wise, glamour wise, how she was killed and the fact this was so similar and near to Lynne Weedon.

It's interesting to note that the murder of Patsy Morris has also been possibly linked when she was the childhood gf of Levi Belfield and he has long been a suspect of murdering her, he was 12 at the time, he also hated blondes and his MO with blunt force trauma matches some of these. It's almost like he was taught by the perpetrator of these crimes.

Edited for typos

I've been searching unsolved murders in the 1970s and 1980s, especially those in or around London and any associated with Peter Sutcliffe, the fact that the victims of the unknown murderer in this case, have being picked out previously as possible Ripper victims, means that looking at murder victims previously believed to have been killed by Sutcliffe in the London area, yet not proved, could victims of this guy instead. I believe the fact they are unsolved yet suspected victims of Sutcliffe means there is no DNA evidence.

Elizabeth Parravincina is an extremely strong contender. Geographically, physically, age wise, glamour wise, how she was killed and the fact this was so similar and near to Lynne Weedon.

It's interesting to note that the murder of Patsy Morris has also been possibly linked when she was the childhood gf of Levi Belfield and he has long been a suspect of murdering her, he was 12 at the time, he also hated blondes and his MO with blunt force trauma matches some of these. It's almost like he was taught by the perpetrator of these crimes.

Edited for typos
The only source I've found stating there was existing DNA from Lynda Farrow and that it ruled out a link, why would all other sources state the opposite? The only way to check the cited source that I can see is to buy a vintage copy of the Sunday Times and even then it doesn't mean it's correct. Surely LE should also make sure correct info is out there for a case which will have to be active as long as it's unsolved.

rbbm.
Jeff Edwards 5 Mar 2012
''Police probing the murder of a bunny girl 32 years ago have uncovered DNA that could link the killer to three other deaths.
Eve Stratford, 22, was found with her throat cut at her East London home in March 1975 after finishing work at the Playboy club in Mayfair.

Six months later, 16-year-old Lynne Weedon was battered and raped in Hounslow, West London.
Dna shows the same man was behind both murders. Detectives believe the clues will also link them to the 1976 death of Linda Paravicinni, 31, in Hounslow and the 1979 killing of Lynda Farrow, 30, at Woodford Green, Essex.''

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. I think this killer should also be considered in the Sally Shepherd case. Almost nine months after Lynda Farrow's murder, Sally Shepherd was murdered in the early hours of Dec 1st 1979 in Peckham, South London. Her murder seems very similar to that of Lynne Weedon's in 1975. Both walking home alone at night, both beaten with a blunt instrument, raped and left dead/dying.
What intrigued me when reading about the Shepherd case, was an eyewitness sighting of a white Ford Cortina parked near where Sally alighted the bus she'd been travelling on. Could this be the same white Ford vehicle that was reported speeding away near the scene of Lynda Farrow's murder earlier in the year? Of course, white Ford Cortinas would've been fairly common in the UK in the late '70s but it strikes me as interesting nonetheless.

Very interesting thread. I think this killer should also be considered in the Sally Shepherd case. Almost nine months after Lynda Farrow's murder, Sally Shepherd was murdered in the early hours of Dec 1st 1979 in Peckham, South London. Her murder seems very similar to that of Lynne Weedon's in 1975. Both walking home alone at night, both beaten with a blunt instrument, raped and left dead/dying.
What intrigued me when reading about the Shepherd case, was an eyewitness sighting of a white Ford Cortina parked near where Sally alighted the bus she'd been travelling on. Could this be the same white Ford vehicle that was reported speeding away near the scene of Lynda Farrow's murder earlier in the year? Of course, white Ford Cortinas would've been fairly common in the UK in the late '70s but it strikes me as interesting nonetheless.
Interesting!
Ws thread..off to ''bump'' it now.

I read about her when looking up unsolved murders over the period that had some similarities and which also were considered as possible Peter Sutcliffe cases, since people had considered this unknown killer's victims as possibly Yorkshire Ripper murders from the MO and timing, obviously ruled out by DNA. To be considered a possible victim of either murderer, there would have to be no DNA available as otherwise the police will have matched them by now.
I find it interesting looking back that far and modern writers commenting on DNA being taken or not taken, I don't think they knew about DNA to consider extracting, keeping it secure or storing it at that time, they looked for semen to see if there was a sexual angle in a crime and they looked for blood type.

Anyway the white cortina stood out, however Ford Cortina's were pretty common I would think.

I recall reading Sutcliffe had a white car he had to dispose of at one time to get rid of evidence, I forget what make. Also it's well known that he came into London at various times to visit his wife when she studied there, also as bart of his delivery job as a lorry driver. Dates would have to be checked to see if he was around, but many people have done that already for him to be seen as a possible assailant.

I do wonder if they always acted alone, Levi Belfield seemed to pick up on this style of killing and also went for blondes, his main area for living and offending was where 1 definite and two maybe victims were killed although he was very young, he's still suspected of murdering one of these possibles at the age of 12. Belfield wasn't shy of acting out in front of some associates, attacking one random lady at a bus stop in front of a work colleague and he's thought to have been part of a paedo ring. Did he learn his ways when still young personally from someone? Belfield was also known to be a regular school truant. (Angus Sinclair was happy to rape and murder alongside his brother in law in the End of the World pub killings and equally happy to offend when on his own, in this case DNA of both was available) My point being that if there are more than one person involved in a crime, we don't know there were and there's only DNA available of one, then that second person would be ruled out as a suspect. This is just something that occurred to me when looking at these cold cases and considering the DNA angle and lack of witnesses.

The Lynda Farrow case may be a red herring, there's conflicting reports whether DNA was available, the police seemed to be pursuing the idea it may be a contract killing by her husband. Weirdly as I read in one news article that didn't include the photo, the police sketch / photofit of the person seen running down the street at the time of her murder, looks a lot like Peter Sutcliffe, I think that is coincidental. I can't post the image due to the site rules, a downside of the group rules regarding sources is the leaning towards news media and news media stories being archived after so long, often unable to retrieve and even if they are available to link to, the photos have often been removed.

Sorry this is probably a long post full of mind waffle.

The Daily Telegraph
29 January, 1979

The photofit made by and supplied by the police and therefore not copyrighted.

There were I think three reports of activity before or after Lynda's murder, a loitering sun tanned man in a cowboy hat and check shirt. A white cortina speeding off. Also this man running down the main street. Now I don't believe this is the murderer for the simple reason that he was wearing g clearly described and distinctive long folded over wellington boots. Leading to and from Lynda's house are the imprints of size 9 monkey boots, they are the only set of prints, taking a change of footwear and then walking around with a pair of wellies in hand or monkey boots, it does not make any logical sense. This man was wearing a blue donkey jacket, maybe a blue and white scarf, dark jeans or trousers. Sounds like a labourer if some sort. However his clothing looked clean and new.
The hair was the most distinctive thing, described as looking like it had just been styled, very curly but very neat. It's suggested it may be some kind of disguise, it would not explain the change of footwear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230218-063556_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230218-063556_Chrome.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 4
I know some people may look at this from other countries or be too young to understand about 'The Winter of Discontent' a series of major workers strikes which ground the country to a halt in many ways and left a lot of people with time on their hands to do other things. No suggestion the person who killed Lynda was on strike and therefore free to go there in the afternoon when many people were at work.
Could be he worked shifts, or his days off were flexible, was his own boss or he was off sick or wasn't working at all.

The Evening Standard
June 29, 1979

Detective Chief Superintendent George Hayter stated 1700 statements have been taken yet no prospect of an arrest in regard to the murder of Lynda Farrow.
GH confirmed that the person who killed LF may be the same killer who murdered Eve Farrow and that there was a noticeable similarity in their deaths.

It's stated the killer would have orobably knelt on her while sawing off her head (the knife used was a freezer knife which would have a serrated blade, it's not really suitable for slicing like a sharp single blade, a sawing action would be needed. As we know, Lynda's throat was cut and she was almost, but not completely, decapitated. Lynda, there was evidence, had also put up a struggle.

So I found Lynda's house on Google maps, most news stories stated she lived on Whitehall Drive which doesn't exist as an address, it's Whitehall Road, fairly long road.
There's trees and shrubbery opposite and which would have helped with the killer feeling he had less witnesses, there's a school behind those trees but it's set further back. Interestingly there is a little lane next to the house, going past the house towards the rear and it's unclear where it is leading, due to trees on the aerial view, none of the articles I have read stated the direction of the killer's footprints when leaving at the rear of the house. The only photo I found of the footprints was of one single footprint close up, those footprints would surely have shown if they had an odd walk or splayed feet?
Anyway when reading witness statements or reconstructions of events I think.it helpful to see how things are played out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230220-113045_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220-113045_Maps.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230220-121126_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20230220-121126_Maps.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 11

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors