Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking at the strava report I'm not sure what particular day it would be but it shows walking on what I can only presume is is the hall lane I believe. Did she sometimes park further down away from the school
it was on
7 November 2022 at 08:46

that's the last record on her strava , I don't understand where you can see another users segment in the same route

Couldn't agree more, EH. Searching a 1 km radious from the bench (assuming that NB put the phone on the bench herself) seemed a good idea at the time.

However, now that 2 weeks have gone by:
a) It makes me wonder that maybe NB was worried by what she thought was Willow doing something which resulted in (perhaps) chickens being attacked.
b) NB puts her phone down on the bench, jumps up, runs towards the sound (mistaking it for something that Willow was doing.)
c) NB continues to pursue the direction she thinks Willow is in, maybe a fair distance, into the next property, along the river.
d) Willow returns to the bench from the opposite direction, finding her mistress gone.
e) NB falls somewhere in the reeds along the river, or in some hidden or sunken area on a property, and is rendered unconscious.

Now that 2 weeks have gone by, I just wish they would search THE DRY LAND, completely, in a 2 mile radius from the Fields where NB was last seen.

MOO.
I think this is about as spot on as we are going to get. I've had Springer Spaniels and I cannot emphasize enough how far they like to roam. Both of mine would sometimes run out to 1-2 fields away before realising I wasn't behind them and doubling back. They were both also fiends for any kind of winged creature or squirrel and would go through hedges and fences in pursuit. Both reasonably well trained, just instinctive creatures. Once we had to get the local flying club out to track my first from above.

To my mind, it's perfectly possible NB heard what she thought was a Willow related disturbance (maybe she had a close shave before with chickens or something of the sort) and went off after it. She might have not given the phone and harness a second thought if it was urgent.

I played through that scenario in my head, too. It's been made very clear that she was not actively participating in this regular Teams call so her routine may involve dialling in and putting the phone aside (surely LE checked that she was in fact on loudspeaker when the phone was discovered!). How far away would she typically move from her phone whilst on the call? Was she even interested in what was being discussed on the call or would she largely ignore it? Difficult to say.

It makes sense to have the phone out of your pockets on loudspeaker when on a call (muffled sound, accidental unmuting) unless you wear headphones so her behaviour with regards to the call appears very much expected.

Would a perpetrator intentionally approach while she is on the call? That seems unlikely as she could quickly unmute and call for help. The phone being on the bench also negates the theory that she was lured away on false pretences as she surely would have taken her phone with her.
v good points

Indeed, maybe we should - even if we don't believe it - all thrash out the abduction scenario just to explore how difficult/easy it would be. ofc we'd have to be bound by the parameters of the facts we've been given.

The profile of this kind of perpetrator eg whether he would have to be fast, skilful, strong, lucky, local, knows the dog, knows the exit routes etc etc

I tend to think leaving the phone as a decoy would be risky for the perpetrator. He/she risks valuable get away time, risks being seen etc. items were likely left behind to remove possibility of phone being tracked.
Everything would take place very quickly with little time to plan. Most important the dog needed to be left behind and unable to follow her.
Why what would be on the phone to incriminate him? The fact they left it on the bench to look like she went in the river and the harness probably bided him lots of time.. well it did they spent a week looking in the river and around bench. The dog that's what I cant work out . But then again it was tied up by a witness with a piece of string for a long period

Wow, I'm really glad I'm not a random person who uses Strava and walks in that area and then finds people on the internet posting that information.
I haven’t posted anything specific and it’s publicly available. People should make their strava profiles private. Plus we are not intimating anything, just that they may be a good witness so hopefully @RonBacardi will report it to the tip line. JMO.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I might be wrong but I've not heard any appeals from the police for reports from the public of concerning behaviour in the days/weeks/months leading up to Nicola going missing. Not necessarily attempted abduction but linked offences like women being followed, watched, indecent exposure. If that's the case it's really concerning that they haven't asked for that from the public. I'm hoping they will have looked at recent reports but there are often people don't report. Just thinking back to the awful murder of Libby Squire and how there was so much evidence prior to her murder that there was something really concerning happening in the area.

Very interesting .. Strava can certainly show who was in the vicinity. Great idea
Police likely have already examined ALL mobile phone movements in the area during the morning of NB's disappearance. Probably unlikely to be publicising this sort of work, but I would expect it to be done in the background within the scope of an investigation like this. If they can trace NB's phone GPS why would they not be checking at all the other phone movements in the area too. Most likely to confirm eyewitness reports and movements to corroborate timings or potentially identify any other individuals in the area. Network providers would have this data. Strava data would only show you Strava users. JMO IMO MOO.

v good points

Indeed, maybe we should - even if we don't believe it - all thrash out the abduction scenario just to explore how difficult/easy it would be. ofc we'd have to be bound by the parameters of the facts we've been given.

The profile of this kind of perpetrator eg whether he would have to be fast, skilful, strong, lucky, local, knows the dog, knows the exit routes etc etc

I agree.

I think it’s too early to discount drowning as I don’t believe she would turn up on the mud flats for a while.

But, it’s looking increasingly unlikely - in which case the focus needs to be on - if there were criminal involvement - how could it possibly have happened. It’s such a particular time frame and area.

'Today it emerged that a private security firm had started patrolling the village where Ms Bulley went missing to stop amateur sleuths from making TikTokvideos as they try to solve the investigation.

Spencer Sutcliffe Security are carrying out daily and nightly patrols in St Michael's on Wyre after an influx of people from outside the village descended on the area.

Several people have already been confronted by the uniformed security guards from the Lancaster based company.

The security guard owner – who is providing his services for free – said: 'When the residents rang me I thought what an awful situation.

'They've already got the horror of what's happened, plus nobody knows what's happened and then they've got all these people trampling through their gardens, going through their sheds
'When they're approached by some of the residents they're becoming very aggressive towards them and it's just not nice.

'So I've offered our services for free, I'll pay the staff out of my own pocket, and we're just going to try and give the residents a bit of reassurance that there's people out there looking after them, and work alongside the police – we're not trying to replace them in anyway, but unfortunately, the police are understaffed and underfunded.'

'

The Strava app is interesting.

NB’s account has a long history of activity on the same route. It’s very clear, and with photos.

The map that underlies the route seems to be an application labelled Mapbox that shows hundreds of qps tracking traces from presumably many people over time in that geographical setting. A handful of traces go into the river from the bench location.

Is this the sort of information that can be gathered as background traces from digital devices and which might inform the police in a more detailed way, and which might be relevant to their understanding of this case.

I’m no expert, but the Strava account shows it clearly.
Someone who knew where to find Nicola, potentially used Strava, potentially knew she was on a Teams meeting. This didn’t need to be someone who set out to harm/ abduct but someone who felt a need to talk with her .. but something escalated. What was going on in her life at this time. This sort of thing surely tends to happen after an escalation of tension.

Someone who knew where to find Nicola, potentially used Strava, potentially knew she was on a Teams meeting. This didn’t need to be someone who set out to harm/ abduct but someone who felt a need to talk with her .. but something escalated. What was going on in her life at this time. This sort of thing surely tends to happen after an escalation of tension.
Something going on potentially related to work? She may have had difficulty with a new client hence her Thurs meeting with boss followed by email to boss just prior to meeting

Yes do you mean whilst she was listening to meeting, sitting on bench facing river?

Couldn't agree more, EH. Searching a 1 km radious from the bench (assuming that NB put the phone on the bench herself) seemed a good idea at the time.

However, now that 2 weeks have gone by:
a) It makes me wonder that maybe NB was worried by what she thought was Willow doing something which resulted in (perhaps) chickens being attacked.
b) NB puts her phone down on the bench, jumps up, runs towards the sound (mistaking it for something that Willow was doing.)
c) NB continues to pursue the direction she thinks Willow is in, maybe a fair distance, into the next property, along the river.
d) Willow returns to the bench from the opposite direction, finding her mistress gone.
e) NB falls somewhere in the reeds along the river, or in some hidden or sunken area on a property, and is rendered unconscious.

Now that 2 weeks have gone by, I just wish they would search THE DRY LAND, completely, in a 2 mile radius from the Fields where NB was last seen.

MOO.
Do you not think she would have taken her phone with her whilst chasing after her dog? It would seem a rationale thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025