Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and I agree, but ultimately he is not to blame. It just worries me how many fingers are being pointed in his direction.. it's alot of pressure for one man. That's all.
I agree he offered his help and his services must have been expensive (I know he offered them gratis) however the fact his book was being released around the same time may just be a coincidence. I would have more respect for his assistance other than any media opportunity he was there giving his opinion.

I think it's more social media that has been reprehensible regarding this case, not the legitimate, professional media.
I think some of the newspapers have been appalling. Giving credence to somebody saying they used psychic power to find her body? What about a proper journalist saying "there's no such thing as psychic powers, so we can't print that". What about the TV and newspapers running pointless stories from experts, just to get the viewers in, so they can sell advertising space to some of the big accounts they carry content for. The content is the paid advertisements, not the stuff they write about, that's basically just the bait or carrier, for the adverts. I can picture the scene now, the ad sales people saying to their clients "Get it placed tomorrow, we're getting a lot of traffic and sales due to NB case". This is how most of this sordid world works, its not about telling the truth, or having journalistic integrity, its about helping companies sell their product and services, and printing any old rubbish they can find or invent.

RIP Nicola

Could not feel more sadness for her daughters, it will be a long time they’ll live without their Mum & so many stages she’ll be so acutely missed. No one will be able to replace her. Just devastating.
Speaking as someone who’s lived a long time without their Mum. And for her parents, dealing with out-living their own child is horrendous as I saw with my grandparents. My heart breaks for them.

Does anyone know, does a full post mortem happen automatically to determine cause of
death even if police do not feel it’s suspicious.

Feels important to find out for her girls safety & that of other female (or male I guess) walkers in the area.

I didn’t think she had left of her own accord or that it was an insurance scam but kind of hoped it as much better outcome than this.

Yes there will be a post mortem.
We don't know yet how NB died.
Was she alive when she entered the water? Was there a medical event? Any sign of assault or injury? Toxicology reports? How long was she in the river?
Loads of questions which the coroner will hope to find answers to.

Yes there will be a post mortem.
We don't know yet how NB died.
Was she alive when she entered the water? Was there a medical event? Any sign of assault or injury? Toxicology reports? How long was she in the river?
Loads of questions which the coroner will hope to find answers to.
Very important job for that coroner/pathologist.

I keep rereading the family statement - particular parts of it are absolutely heartbreaking. ‘Nikki you are no longer a missing person, you have been found, we can let you rest now.’ So desperately sad. How would you ever get over it? I have no idea.

I think some of the newspapers have been appalling. Giving credence to somebody saying they used psychic power to find her body? What about a proper journalist saying "there's no such thing as psychic powers, so we can't print that". What about the TV and newspapers running pointless stories from experts, just to get the viewers in, so they can sell advertising space to some of the big accounts they carry content for. The content is the paid advertisements, not the stuff they write about, that's basically just the bait or carrier, for the adverts. I can picture the scene now, the ad sales people saying to their clients "Get it placed tomorrow, we're getting a lot of traffic and sales due to NB case". This is how most of this sordid world works, its not about telling the truth, or having journalistic integrity, its about helping companies sell their product and services, and printing any old rubbish they can find or invent.
Actually I was in the newspaper business for a long time. You are correct, it's not a charity and news outlets do respond to what the public wants to consume. If the public weren't clicking, the stories would dwindle. I know many very thoughtful, ethical, principled journalists who do their utmost to be considerate of victims' feelings and who push back against assignments that would cause pain to victims. Painting everyone in the industry with a broad, negative brush is unfair.

I also point out that the media has been very helpful in countless cases by publicizing information that the families and/or law enforcement agencies want disseminated.

Does that mean there aren't unethical, intrusive and pushy journalists? Of course not; there are bad apples in every line of work. But most of the ones I know try very hard to be thoughtful and sensitive. And again, the consuming public has the most influence over what is covered and how extensively.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Personally I don't believe in things like ESP. But amidst the sensationalism around the man who found NB it may be useful to quote his own statement, in which he downplays (IMO) his supernatural abilities: "I decided to use whatever 'gift' it is we mediums possess to try and locate Nicola Bulley" (Daily Mail). No reason IMO to make it greater than it is. He found her, good for him.

A heartbreaking end to the search for Nicola, RIP. It might have been thought to be a good thing that the media got so involved in the case at the beginning, ensuring public awareness, potential witnesses, dashcam etc. With no evidence that NB was in the river, hope of finding her had to be kept alive. Unfortunately, it all became a runaway train, completely out of control. A steep learning curve of how social media as well as impacts on such events now.
I hope the family get privacy now.
It's unfortunate because there are so many families who desperately need the media to keep their case in the spotlight.

Yet over and over families and friends are accused and harassed on line, with some media outlets fueling the rumors.

Wasn't the guy from Sky News that Paul referred to the same one who tried to block the witnesses path twice with his body, once to get him to stop for the interview and again to prevent him from leaving?

Actually I was in the newspaper business for a long time. You are correct, it's not a charity and news outlets do respond to what the public wants to consume. If the public weren't clicking, the stories would dwindle. I know many very thoughtful, ethical, principled journalists who do their utmost to be considerate of victims' feelings and who push back against assignments that would cause pain to victims. Painting everyone in the industry with a broad, negative brush is unfair.

I also point out that the media has been very helpful in countless cases by publicizing information that the families and/or law enforcement agencies want disseminated.

Does that mean there aren't unethical, intrusive and pushy journalists? Of course not; there are bad apples in every line of work. But most of the ones I know try very hard to be thoughtful and sensitive. And again, the consuming public has the most influence over what is covered and how extensively.
I appreciate your post, and yes, there are journalists out there who are ethical, they're an endangered species though, because the machine needs feeding. I think its less about bad apples and more about terrible organisations, who claim to be news outlets.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Personally I don't believe in things like ESP. But amidst the sensationalism around the man who found NB it may be useful to quote his own statement, in which he downplays (IMO) his supernatural abilities: "I decided to use whatever 'gift' it is we mediums possess to try and locate Nicola Bulley" (Daily Mail). No reason IMO to make it greater than it is. He found her, good for him.
His gift is his eyes though. He went looking for her, and found her.

I have just watched the family statement and I’m not surprised they are angry. I hope that if one good thing comes of this, it’s a shift in the way the press report in this country. The grubby tabloids are known for sensationalised click bait, but it’s sad to hear more reputable new channels have also disgraced themselves.

RIP Nicola

Could not feel more sadness for her daughters, it will be a long time they’ll live without their Mum & so many stages she’ll be so acutely missed. No one will be able to replace her. Just devastating.
Speaking as someone who’s lived a long time without their Mum. And for her parents, dealing with out-living their own child is horrendous as I saw with my grandparents. My heart breaks for them.

Does anyone know, does a full post mortem happen automatically to determine cause of

Feels important to find out for her girls safety & that of other female (or male I guess) walkers in the area.

I didn’t think she had left of her own accord or that it was an insurance scam but kind of hoped it as much better outcome than this.
And her sister losing her only sibling.

Well-said. Would be lovely if people wanting to bring stuff would instead find out if they could contribute to a fund for something Nicola would have valued for the town of St Michael's.
Or for the family - some of whom have had outrageous aspersions against them. There are 2 little girls to care for now.
It would be wonderful if somebody started a fund for the family. Great idea. The financial support could feel emotionally supportive, and both the financial and emotional support of people caring could help the family as they grieve this enormous loss.

Losing one's mother before the age of 12 is particularly difficult, and losing one's mother under these horrific circumstances is unimaginably awful.

I do hope they can determine (through time of death and other indicators - Fitbit data maybe) if it was accidental or suicide. If the latter I think the family will always blame themselves. I hope it was an accident. I hope they can find peace eventually. :(

Just an observation and no opinion cast, but the police have always made a case of specifically saying they don't suspect 3rd party involvement in all other conferences, but did not mention it today. Is that A) because they don't want to overstep the corners investigation given the criticism or B) because they've sene soemthing that could indicate that and don't want to say no involvement and it later comes out there is/may be
An inquest has to be opened first whilst both a comprehensive autopsy and forensic examination of the clothing takes place, and that will likely take time. Both must be completed to establish whether or not she has indeed been in the water all this time, rule out any suspicious injuries, as well as the approximate date and cause of death of course. Prior to any further statements being made on that account...and they most definitely can't afford to get this wrong...it will either be case closed or a new investigation opened

A PM happens here in the UK usually if it's an accident, suspected foul play, sudden or unexplained death and/or the deceased wasn't being seen by a Dr. for an illness recently. Family has no say. It's a legal requirement and something which the Coroner orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Egladva