Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know depth at the point where she entered the water and whether it was slow moving or not needn't necessarily matter. The water would have been very cold that morning and could have incapacitated her very quickly. I'm looking at the short time period following the incident on the 10th of January and her potential state of mind and to me these things make it more likely that it was a suicide rather than an accident.
It just seems a strange way to do it, It does now seem that it is this or an accident at least.

I agree. Also "drowning" is one of the really rare forms of suicide.
Do you have any evidence to back up this statement?
(In case if you're in the US - guns are nowhere near that prevalent in Europe).

International Life Saving Federation:
Over 400 persons commit suicide annually in Ireland out of which about 100 drown themselves. The causes of suicide are multi-factorial with mental illness and alcohol consumption major influences. Many suicides occur immediately after binge drinking sessions. One-third of all female and one-fifth of all male Irish suicide victims choose to drown themselves. There are a number of common features to suicide by drowning events including week-end nights, bridges over rivers, prior binge drinking and males between 15 and 35 years.

The water is definitely deeper than waist height otherwise there would not be a sign on the tree with red writing saying deep water.

That has been gone over a lot on previous threads. River depths vary enormously over time, in the bench area it was around 0.5m deep on the day (there are deeper areas around of course). But at other times historically it has been as much as 4m deep, hence the need for a warning sign IMO.

I spotted a quote by a witness in an earlier report that contradicts the harness being on the bank. "They went on to say that the dog walker spotted Nicola's canine pet as she came through a fate onto the towpath but became suspicious when she saw the harness and lead being dragged on the floor. The friend added: "The gent has looked on the floor and two feet from the bench there’s a phone."
Manchester Evening News

Witnessed at 09:10, phone on bench 09:20, phone found by 09:33 - not exactly deserted IMO.
True, but not busy either, considering there was no alarm raised until way after 10am. Just seems a strange way to cry for help or to try and end her life. I guess there is no sense in actions when someone wants to end it all.

The water is definitely deeper than waist height otherwise there would not be a sign on the tree with red writing saying deep water.
The shallow part of the river was two meters, which is over the 1.6 meters of her height. So, basically, even at the shallow end she would have been over her head. Once I saw that, I was much more inclined to believe she drowned. Also, the harness being near the water suggested she’d slipped.

I thought her partner's interview did suspect a third party. WHEN did the police state there were no suspicious circumstances.??
From the first press release, all available in the media thread, Lancs Police said no apparent suspicious circumstances, all avenues of investigation remain open, we believe at this time she has entered the water. This remained the case with every LE update. So they never ‘stated’ as in open and shut but they did say based on available information and evidence NB has entered the water.

I noticed he said his thoughts are with the family, I hope now he shuts his mouth and doesn't even bother with an excuse. If he dares to appear on TV again about this case in the coming days, I will end up throwing something at my TV and smashing it......
To be fair, the area he searched was from the weir upstream, I believe. Had PF known about NB’s vulnerabilities, he might have looked below the weir, downstream, as a person with intent on self harm might have walked to a point downstream of the weir to enter the water, even possibly walking some distance west of the village before doing so. Jmo

True, but not busy either, considering there was no alarm raised until way after 10am. Just seems a strange way to cry for help or to try and end her life. I guess there is no sense in actions when someone wants to end it all.
A 'cry for help' usually involves a suicide attempt where there is a high chance of being found before death. EG an overdose followed by a phone call.

Jumping off bridges is very different to entering a slow moving shallow river. Under the influence of something makes a lot more sense.
Yeah, I do not argue with that (and same goes with accidental drowning that is more likely to occur if you accidentally fall into deep than shallow water).

I was surprised by op claiming that drowning is a rare suicide method - it is very common, especially in women (and often used in combination with alcohol, other psychoactive drugs or random drug overdose e.g painkillers).

devastating that she was found so close to her last sighting. I mean PF should be ashamed at his arrogance. The language he used when discussing this search and his predictions was astoundingly tactless not to mention the way he criticised the police. This article shows how wrong this ‘expert’ was. It’s embarrassingly bad for his career and whilst I applaud anyone who got in and helped search, you never heard the LE searchers speak about the situation so flippantly as he did.

I’m even angrier now than I was listening to him the week he helped given the part of the river was concentrated on by his team it’s as though his own confirmation bias made him miss her location. He was convinced she wasn’t there so he didn’t search as though she was there IMO.

He searched upstream and down to the weir and that was it.

he said he searched downstream from the weir in the clip which I uploaded many days ago

6th feb clip

I thought her partner's interview did suspect a third party. WHEN did the police state there were no suspicious circumstances.??
I didn’t get that from his interview, but I’m not claiming to know what he was inferring. What I heard from him was that people don’t just disappear, that something must have happened, and someone must know or have seen something even if they’re not aware it was relevant. He goes on to plead for those people to report anything they might know, which IMO, you wouldn’t ask of someone you suspected of being a perpetrator.

No, that's true. I agree with your earlier point about the choice of a slow moving (and shallow IMO) river, and just suggesting the possibilty of it being a suicide attempt that maybe wasn't really meant to succeed?

Can anyone explain to a layman why it’s taken over 6 hours and counting to release the identification? Even though it’s been 3 weeks they would know quickly if it was her or not, by clothes alone. Is this out of respect for the family? I have no experience of this sort of procedure but I am confused why they haven’t released that info yet.
They may not have even removed her from the water yet. When my friend’s mum was found drowned (suicide) in water, a police diver stayed in the water with the body for 6 hours before it was recovered onto land

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine