Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad but not an unexpected outcome, as I said when I first posted about this case, if someone goes missing near a river chances are they are in the river. The police should have had a gagging order on the sonar guy who fuelled rampant speculation of this case by saying she wasn't in the river.

Someone - possibly cottonweaver - posted about cases where Peter Faulding has missed bodies in rivers before.
Yes. I went off and looked at one in particular, but can't remember the name of the poor chap concerned now, and can't find it again. But he was found not too far away from the place they considered he'd entered the river.
And this is why I don't think anyone blames PF for not finding NB, or blames police, RNLI, and the Search and Rescue charities that have been searching; we know that it's incredibly complex and difficult (just as Supt. Riley said from the outset). But only PF, on this occasion, has displayed such arrogance and false confidence, when he must have known how possible it could be that she simply wouldn't be found until nature and the river flow took its course.

Popped in on my lunch break for an update and I see there's still no formal identification of the body found yesterday. That conjures up horrible thoughts in my head, so god only knows how friends & family of NB are feeling. Those poor little girls - PA is going to have to be super strong for them (assuming that it is NB, I'm not discounting anything until there's a formal statement from LP) :(

I don’t believe for a second she was in that spot the whole time. She must have drifted. If she was then I think it’s a shocking job by the search team. im not an experienced search operative or anything like that but common sense tells me you look at the margins of flowing water to find anything. Anything that can snag you look in the margins, tree branches and tree roots and all significant debris ends up in the margins Caught up on the roots and snags. The middle of any river is normally relatively clear of such debris as it gets forced by the flow especially after rain and great force is going through. Exceptions being a rise after a dip where the flow isn’t direct But going over the crest of the rise. So the middle of two mounds over which the flow goes. All of which can be mapped and grid searched. After the scan of the middle of the river I would have had teams searching extensively the margins, every nook and cranny from in the water. Using poles with hooks etc I would have mapped the middle river noting any rises and falls and paid much attention to any two rises in the river Bed between which she may have laid. I would have had every tree base searched and within a radius of five metres depending on size. Any depth under which I send divers. Jmo

from the photos the area looked close to the road but from the video its shockingly closer than photos show. I agree this area should be sealed off until all tests carried out on the body. JMO MOO
Yes I agree, it should remain sealed off. Given there is a layby just opposite that exact bend, and it is also where the river first meets the road on the most direct route from where she was last actually seen in the top/back field - then although it is looking most likely no 3rd party is not involved, it would be the most obvious part of the river to try to hide a body after the main searches were conducted so should be preserved just as best practice in case.
It will now be for the autopsy/tests to reveal if anything else happened other than someone going in the water and remaining submerged out of sight in the reeds until yesterday, or drifted much further down and the tidal levels over the last days/time meaning the body surfaced/was dislodged into eyesight.

Have you ever bent down to do something e.g. sort out your dog, and stepped on the inside of your own clothing? I wonder if Nicola may have tripped herself up by standing on the hem of her long gilet, which would have caused a fall into the river
That or she fell over the dog. Either seem highly likely.

It's pure opinion, but I don't really buy the suicide-by-drowning-yourself-in-brutally-cold-water hypothesis. The only thing it has to recommend it is that if you really intend to go through with it, nobody will intervene; you will not be rescued. But she had a car and a house - she had far less traumatic avenues to end it.

Have you ever bent down to do something e.g. sort out your dog, and stepped on the inside of your own clothing? I wonder if Nicola may have tripped herself up by standing on the hem of her long gilet, which would have caused a fall into the river
I've personally always thought of those situations where you're standing on a sloping bank and then just mis-step slightly, and find yourself having to run to try and 'go with it' and right yourself. Usually this is when you reach a nice, flat area. But that particular banking led to a steeper, vertical drop into the water.

Does it matter? They are probably just people out for a walk with their dog. Everyone would be naturally keeping an eye out for any sign of NB. If my dog found a dead body I would move him well away from the scene, preferably out of sight.
It matters because I for one am grateful there are those that have been searching specifically still.

I personally still believe after the details that were released, that it was a suicide staged by Nicola herself to look like an accident. Would we really ever know if it was an accident or suicide tho, because both ways she would've ended up in the water and drowned anyway?

Also I'm sick of people critisising the police's/Peter's search of the river! I'd like to see them do a better job or even go near that river when there could be a body floating around. As I said before, Peter kinda covered himself from every possible angle and it's definitely frustrating that he claimed so confidently that she wasn't in the river just because his team didn't find her. I always figured they'd find her body, but thought maybe she'd been washed out to sea or something. Seemingly it's possible she could have been there the whole time if she got stuck in the reeds. Unfortunately the police or any other search team are going to make mistakes just like the rest of us, we can't expect them to succeed every single time!

Can't imagine what Paul and her family/friends are going through right now. So sad.

This measuring gauge is further UP away from the Weir and it shows a significant rise the morning before the body was found. Kirkland Bridge. Well above the Weir.

An increase of 600mm in the early morning. It must be the tide or some water being added from somewhere else very quickly. IMO the tide.

Spring tides do go over that Weir IMO.
Great post. Thanks for sharing. MOO

I wondered about this but would have thought complete forensics would take some time and meanwhile there are family hanging on.

IMO The family aren't hanging on, LE will have already told them it is NB. It wouldn't be difficult for LE to confirm from a visual check and the circumstantial evidence, forensic ID would be just a formality in this case.

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members