Found Deceased UK - Nicola Bulley Last Seen Walking Dog Near River - St Michaels on Wyre (Lancashire) #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess would be NB'S partner. None of the witnesses would know she was wearing a jacket under the gilet imo.
I'm still stuck on LE saying all areas of her leaving the area (except one small area) were covered by camera footage of some kind, surely this indicates they must have seen her ENTER the area on one of those very same cameras?

The were also very specific about the clothes that people should look out for. I can't see how they could possibly get something as fundamental as the colour/length wrong

Also LE could have conducted a reconstruction with a weighted mannequin to see how far it would travel down the river in a day, then carry out calculations (I know there will be anomalies along the river they need to take into consideration).
Exactly my thinking too, the weather has been very kind to the SAR teams, the conditions have pretty much remained the same since the 27th. Cold weather, not alot of rain, no treacherous winds.

My guess would be NB'S partner. None of the witnesses would know she was wearing a jacket under the gilet imo.

Depending how close they were, they might well have noticed, what with it being sleeveless.

Nicola Bulley search handed boost as 'world's best' tech to scan whole river 'in a day'

Speaking to Express.co.uk, founder Peter Faulding, who pioneered bringing forensic sonar search equipment to the UK, said: “We have the best sonar equipment for the world that’s available, for the highest frequency for this particular search. That river, we can literally scan within a day, a day and a half.

“Our kit is the best you can buy, it’s the highest frequency, there are forces who carry sonar but it’s a lot lower frequency generally.

“I’m not criticising the police, I work for them all the time, and I have great respect for them. I have had a very productive call with Lancashire Police this afternoon, we will build an excellent working relationship.

“What I’m doing is offering our services free of charge to try and eliminate this river so the police can get on with their other enquiries and find out where Nicola is. It’s the pain, the agony that this family are going through, you shouldn’t have to search and search for 10 days."

this is fantastic. I don't know why others are criticizing him, the more resources the better.

In the US they have a team called adventures with purpose and they do this sort of thing and they find bodies/cars/evidence etc in water where the police have repeatedly been unsuccessful, so this could be a really positive step forward in finding Nicola.

I find the apparently misleading description of the clothing concerning. It could be construed as lack of attention to detail, which does not inspire confidence. JMO
Along with incorrect Road names when asking for key pieces of CCTV/Dashcam footage.
Appealing ford witness in the red coat who had already spoken to police.
All the little things add up to erode confidence in LE.

I think if we could see a more zoomed-out version of the second image released by the friend, we’d probably see that the gilet is closer to ankle length when N’s arm is at rest in natural position, rather than when she’s stretching upwards, lifting the coat hem, as in the first image.
If you can locate the Daily Mail article. I think it's picture 4. It shows her stood up straight naturally and it's still very much knee length

IMO the approach to the bench seems to be a path lined by bushes/fencing. Would it be correct to say that you would not be able to see the bench until going through the gate?

I just completed a deep dive of the press conference on this thread, and have skimmed most of the rest of the posts. My reading is that:
a. The dog has gone down towards the steep part leading to the river bank, and behaved in a way so as to cause the missing person to panic.
b. In this situation, getting the dog out of perceived trouble has been more important than any teams call, and the phone may have fallen to the ground.
c. The MP (sorry I wish to distance myself rather than pretend to be familiar) has slipped or lost footing when trying to help the dog, potentially sustaining an injury.
d. Realising the predicament, the MP has released the dog from the harness which may have been on, and thrown it back towards the path - or the dog has grabbed the harness and taken it down towards the river in a hopeless attempt to re-engage the owner.
e. MP has done best to swim, with the current of the river, at some point has gotten out of the river, or has remained in the water.
f. Hypothermia has resulted from the cold.
g. With great regret, I conclude that either unconsciousness has resulted and the MP has been carried further than expected, or has exited the river at some point much further than expected, and succumbed to hypothermia.
h. In the best case, the MP is surviving but severely impaired or injured. If hypothermia set in due to the cold, it would be extremely difficult in the circumstances to recover core body temperature.

There are obviously alternative hypotheses, but this is the one that came to mind. I sincerely hope that the MP is found as soon as possible.

Along with incorrect Road names when asking for key pieces of CCTV/Dashcam footage.
Yes it is very strange .. especially regarding clothes as these seem vital in cases like this.

Equally strange to me is the police stating they believed it was a straightforward accident right from the beginning.

I just wonder whether there is deliberate intent to confuse in order to manipulate a perpetrator… or am I being way off mark?

I am upset with the cctv of her not being released earlier or by the police. The description was not the best.

1. An ankle-length black quilted gilet jacket and a black Engelbert Strauss waist-length coat which was worn underneath the gilet - the coat on the cctv is clearly not ankle length nor waist-length. It is like basically the only length they did not mention.
2. Tight-fitting black jeans - turns out they were dark blue leggings instead
3. Long green walking socks tucked into her jeans - this was correct, albeit I did spend a few minutes thinking about if it is normal English to say the socks were tucked into her jeans. (If a shirt is tucked into your jeans it is under it. This is how I always imagine these relations. Now socks are just always under the jeans, I would not call that tucked. But maybe they do? Or did they mean that the jeans are tucked into the socks? But I assume it is not confusing to a native speaker.)
4. Ankle-length green Next wellies - technically, these are also wellies. It might not be the first that pops to head with "ankle wellies", but I can live with that.
5. A necklace - seriously? Gold? Silver? Pearl? Leather? Pedant? Nothing about this at all? Why mention it then?
6. A pale blue Fitbit - this is ok, they can look different and it could help, but I suppose pale blue is rare by itself and hopefully any fitbit found would be taken to the police or posted online anyways.
Tl;dr: they got the socks, wellies and fitbit right, the rest was off. An image would have helped. My own mental image was notably different from the cctv image. For those who say that the colours in the cctv were off and that's why they did not release it: it would take me like 20 seconds to fix the colours on the computer. Maybe 60 seconds if I want to boost the green of these wellies separately a bit.

Other than that, I hope her body is recovered during the next week. As it is right now, I have a hard time seeing anything else than her entering the river without a third party. I am usually suspicious of those closest to the victim, but as witnesses did see her on the trail in the morning, I see no opportunity for anyone like that to harm her.
"But I assume it is not confusing to a native speaker"

With regards to the police communication there is a lot that confuses us native speakers too.
I appreciate their aim is to elicit information of the type they want from the public, as opposed to inform/entertain them, but I wish they would employ .. err ...."proof listeners".

“What I’m doing is offering our services free of charge to try and eliminate this river so the police can get on with their other enquiries and find out where Nicola is. It’s the pain, the agony that this family are going through, you shouldn’t have to search and search for 10 days."

What if they don't find her. Everyone will then assume she never was in there but what if she was carried to the Irish sea. Her not being in there now can't prove she never was.

It does indeed. Don't think LP have covered themselves in glory so far. In fairness, it seems are very difficult investigation. Hope they come through in the end.

“The sonar used by the police is pretty low-tech. It's very unlikely they would be able to find a body with it,' he said. 'The divers the police are using are very experienced and professional, but searching that way is a very slow process.
this is fantastic. I don't know why others are criticizing him, the more resources the better.

In the US they have a team called adventures with purpose and they do this sort of thing and they find bodies/cars/evidence etc in water where the police have repeatedly been unsuccessful, so this could be a really positive step forward in finding Nicola.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads