Identified! UK - nr. Brighton, WhtFem, 20-25yrs, 5'4", found at water's edge, 20 Dec 2022, distinctive tattoos - Dovile Survilaite

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JuicyLucy

Former Member
Reaction score
UID Saltdean tattoos.jpg
(Image: Sussex Police)

The body of a young woman washed up on the beach near Brighton has still to be identified nearly three months after her discovery.

A member of the public raised the alarm shortly after 1.20pm on Tuesday, December 20th, when he spotted the body lying at the water's edge at Saltdean, east of Brighton. Extensive enquiries have been made to try to identify her, but so far these have been unsuccessful.

Police have now released photos of a number of tattoos that she had on her arms and legs in a bid to name her.

The woman is white, believed to be aged between 20 and 25, around 5' 4" and of slim to medium build. She was wearing a purple sports bra, dark mauve sports leggings and Converse black boots with the original white trim.

It is not thought that she had been in the water for much more than 24 hours and enquiries with maritime authorities suggest that it is possible that she entered the water further west, with tidal action taking her to Saltdean.

Anyone who recognises the tattoos or has any information about the woman is asked to report to Sussex Police online or by calling 101 quoting serial 598 of 20/12.

https://www.sussex.police.uk/news/s...-to-identify-woman-washed-ashore-at-brighton/

Tattoo bid to identify young woman who washed up at Brighton

Clothing doesn't sound that typical for December - presumably could have lost a layer in the water but not sure how typical that would be in 24 hours or so? Even if running outside in December you'd think she would have more than sports bra on?
Edited to add - converse trainers seem unlikely for running/jogging

Clothing doesn't sound that typical for December - presumably could have lost a layer in the water but not sure how typical that would be in 24 hours or so? Even if running outside in December you'd think she would have more than sports bra on?
I think my assumption (perhaps wrong) is that she went into the water deliberately intending never to come out. So she might have wanted to speed up hypothermia, or she might not have wanted to risk attracting attention by being seen to walk into the water fully clothed. I think if you're going to enter water voluntarily, there's also something quite reflexive about taking clothes off. Either way, the reduced clothing makes me think this wasn't an accidental fall from a cliff path or sea vessel.

The other thing that strikes me is that they don't seem like very professional tattoo art, or at least the style is quite naive. So I wonder if the tattooist did them from her own designs, which might make them recognisable to someone.

I assume Sussex Police have approached local tattoo businesses, but I wonder if they've contacted the art departments of local schools and colleges?

I think I'm presuming she's not from the UK, given she's not been reported missing. There was a really sad case this week of 14 year old Ukrainian girl, she came here with her mum. She was reported missing but found deceased at, what looked like, the bottom of a cliff, I don't think there are suspicious circumstances.

They look like unfinished tattoos to me.

Now that @RusselSprout has put the idea into my head that she may not have been from the UK, I'm wondering if the skyline has a middle eastern look to it - a dome and a minaret at the bottom, and the crescent moon in the middle. But maybe she just thought it was pretty.
I was wondering where the skyline was, if it's not London (St Pauls dome) then does it mean she's not British?

I've just spent a while scccrooolllling Instagram on hashtag #skylinetattoo and hastag #scarabtattoo
Granted Instagram is worldwide and there's a gazillion photos, I went with 'top' photos for the results. Nothing, unfortunately.
Most young people have an Instagram but for sure tattooists have IG to showcase their portfolios.

Would it be worth distributing the images of her ink to studios around Saltdean? If they haven't inked any, they may be able to further distribute the images to studios around the area.

To me they definitely don't seem to have all been done by the same tattoo artist.

I wonder if the skyline one is an amalgamation of 3 different skylines of importance to her - agree one looks middle Eastern and top one reminiscent of NYC

Cat one looks freehand, but rest look like they were done with stencil - even the skyline, it's wrapped a bit so I assume it's on her leg, but it's done in a square box format like a Polaroid which is quite popular these days

ETA: I wonder if the skyline has colour, the cat one seems to have some accents of colour - white ink fades so it cant imho moe etc be purely black/grey ink

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot
Back