UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a parent, I'm guilty of texting whilst giving a ng feed, definitely a syringe and likely a gravity feed. It's not great, I know, but it's certainly far from difficulty to do.

Sure it’s not hard to do and understandable for a parent if the baby is stable and maybe even discharged from the hospital. Just not best practice for a nurse who is being paid to care for her patients. She couldn’t wait 10 minutes to text her friends? Yep, call me old fashioned! My opinion only , if guilty.

The jury had NJ.

We had @Tortoise

I will be VERY interested to hear if the defence is in any way compelling.

If I was a parent of one of those babies, I would go and have a pint while the closing defence speech goes on. Then come back for the verdict.

Interesting that there has been zero journalistic report of Letby's demeanour throughout the prosecution closing speech.

I don’t know why she refused to admit to texting in the actual rooms. And it doesn’t need 2 hands to do a feed, does it? Once you’ve set up the feed (2 hands), you then just need to hold it up and let gravity take over (which requires one hand). So you could be holding the feed while it drips in and texting with the other hand.

I don’t get why she didn’t say that or why it would have been so bad to admit to texting in the wards (given the many worse things she was being accused of).

2 things. Firstly you'd need to keep putting your phone down to top up the syringe. And more importantly you're supposed to concentrate on what you're doing, making sure the flow isn't too fast & checking baby's appearance. No way should anyone be on a phone while feeding.

"As he came to the end of his address Mr Johnson read out a series of lists of babies who had similar experiences across a number of categories.

These included infants who had bleeds in their throats, those with unusual colouring, those who had screamed or cried uncharacteristically, and those who collapsed shortly after being visited by their parents.

The barrister then told the jury: 'If anyone tries to tell you there are no similarities in this case, you've got a list now'.

None of the babies can be identified for legal reasons, but Mr Johnson named each of the alleged murder victims as he listed those who would all have gone home from the Countess of Chester Hospital had Letby 'not sabotaged them'.

He then read out the names of the other 10 babies Letby is accused of trying to murder.

In his final words to the jury, he said: 'That is our case, and you'll let us know if it's right'."

BBM

(Mr Myers hurries home to rewrite his closing speech. haha)

Sure it’s not hard to do and understandable for a parent if the baby is stable and maybe even discharged from the hospital. Just not best practice for a nurse who is being paid to care for her patients. She couldn’t wait 10 minutes to text her friends? Yep, call me old fashioned! My opinion only , if guilty.

Where I worked we told parents to observe their baby carefully while tube feeding. I'd have challenged any parent on a phone as it's not safe. But a nurse doing it? Completely unacceptable.

"He says the parents 'might just remember the call' to tell them there had been an issue with Child N.
He says none of this was dealt with when Letby gave evidence to her own counsel. "

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 22 - prosecution closing speech

Letby's defence admits 'mistake'

This morning's session has begun with the judge clarifying to the jury something we heard on Wednesday.
Lucy Letby told the court that she disputed the agreed evidence put before the court by Child N's parents about a phone call she made to them.
Agreed evidence means it has been submitted to the court as an agreed "truth".
Child N's father said Letby phoned him, but Letby said: "I have no recollection of speaking to the family on the phone and I would not have put [colleague]'s name on the note if that were not the case."
Letby's defence, Ben Myers KC, says it was a "mistake" that this evidence was agreed before the court, but says it was a legitimate line of questioning for Nick Johnson KC to have taken.

Lucy Letby trial: Facebook searches of nurse accused of murdering babies read out in court

I have to say I don't know what Myers was thinking when he had LL on the stand giving evidence and he didn't even touch on this event. In preparation for questioning her on each of the cases, he knew of all the witnesses and their evidence, and he knew of LL's family communications note which said nurse BB had phoned the parents, and he has a team as big as the prosecution's team of two additional barristers plus solicitors in court, to make sure he has all the facts before him.

IMO he basically allowed this situation to happen, and I don't think he didn't know for one minute the problem, because he avoided mentioning it altogether. The parents being informed by phone that morning and arriving at the unit and being shocked and distressed to see baby N with blood all over him (just like baby E) and LL being there in the nursery and not doing much, was a major part of the evidence which conflicted with LL's narrative that the first time she became aware of bleeding that day was in the afternoon.

I'm even wondering if he made a decision for it to go the way it did, because it made LL look almost vindicated for disagreeing with the parents under cross-exam because she was at the mercy of her legal team, and it meant he avoided having to get yet more parents into court and accuse them of being mistaken.

I am very surprised that this happened.

"He says the parents 'might just remember the call' to tell them there had been an issue with Child N.
He says none of this was dealt with when Letby gave evidence to her own counsel. "

LIVE: Lucy Letby trial, June 22 - prosecution closing speech

Letby's defence admits 'mistake'

This morning's session has begun with the judge clarifying to the jury something we heard on Wednesday.
Lucy Letby told the court that she disputed the agreed evidence put before the court by Child N's parents about a phone call she made to them.
Agreed evidence means it has been submitted to the court as an agreed "truth".
Child N's father said Letby phoned him, but Letby said: "I have no recollection of speaking to the family on the phone and I would not have put [colleague]'s name on the note if that were not the case."
Letby's defence, Ben Myers KC, says it was a "mistake" that this evidence was agreed before the court, but says it was a legitimate line of questioning for Nick Johnson KC to have taken.

Lucy Letby trial: Facebook searches of nurse accused of murdering babies read out in court

I have to say I don't know what Myers was thinking when he had LL on the stand giving evidence and he didn't even touch on this event. In preparation for questioning her on each of the cases, he knew of all the witnesses and their evidence, and he knew of LL's family communications note which said nurse BB had phoned the parents, and he has a team as big as the prosecution's team of two additional barristers plus solicitors in court, to make sure he has all the facts before him.

IMO he basically allowed this situation to happen, and I don't think he didn't know for one minute the problem, because he avoided mentioning it altogether. The parents being informed by phone that morning and arriving at the unit and being shocked and distressed to see baby N with blood all over him (just like baby E) and LL being there in the nursery and not doing much, was a major part of the evidence which conflicted with LL's narrative that the first time she became aware of bleeding that day was in the afternoon.

I'm even wondering if he made a decision for it to go the way it did, because it made LL look almost vindicated for disagreeing with the parents under cross-exam because she was at the mercy of her legal team, and it meant he avoided having to get yet more parents into court and accuse them of being mistaken.

I am very surprised that this happened.
I think I missed this and am a bit confused. Was the phone call to the parents definitely in the morning? When did the parents testify they came in in the morning and saw n with blood on him with ll doing nothing?

Wonder what NJ is doing this evening? Must be such a strange feeling. He will surely have been working towards this all of the year before, and then the 9 solid months. What a marathon,but this evening his work is done. I really would love to be a fly on the wall at his home this evening! Also, I assume he will have a few months off after the verdict?

I think The Mail often uses baby rather than child but yes the majority appear to use child. To me though "baby" is more accurate. They were all babies when the alleged attacks happened, and some of them never got to grow up to be children.
"Child' seems inaccurate because a newborn does not even seem to be described as a child very often. A child brings to mind someone older than an infant. The defendant didn't attack children she allegedly attacked babies. Tiny newborn babies. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member