UK - Nurse Lucy Letby Faces 22 Charges - 7 Murder/15 Attempted Murder of Babies #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A timeline I've produced for baby E which contains a combination of information from the prosecution opening speech (so some events not in evidence yet) and the testimony we heard yesterday:

29 Jul 2015, Wednesday

Identical boy twins Child E and Child F born, prematurely, at 29 weeks.

Child E weighed 2lb 14oz (1.327kg). He was given oxygen then weaned to air and transferred to Room 1. He was at risk of NEC and started on antibiotics, IV fluids and caffeine. He had a nasogastric tube inserted.

Child F was marginally younger, and he required some resuscitation at birth. He was later intubated, ventilated and given meds to help his lungs. He was recorded as having high blood sugar so was prescribed a tiny dose of insulin. His breathing tube was removed and he was given breathing support. He had a long line.

30 Jul 2015, Thursday

A staff debrief into the death of Child A was held.

Mother says she was able to visit the twins in the neonatal unit, from upstairs in the post-natal wards. She said that would take about 5-10 minutes to get from one place to the other, due to having had a C-section, which made the journey time longer.
She said she was able to cuddle Child E as he wasn't on CPAP, while Child F was on CPAP.

1 Aug 2015, Saturday

Mother said Child E was progressing better, of the two twins, over July 30-31, but both were doing "really well" by August 1. She was keen to get home and was keen to transport both babies to a hospital closer to home, and was waiting for two ambulances to be provided. She said she and her partner were under the impression both babies were well enough to travel. By that stage, she had had skin-to-skin contact with both twins, and both were managing "fine". "We were never informed about anything to say they weren't fine."

8pm night shift – LL was designated nurse for Child F.

2 Aug 2015, Sunday

By August 2, mother says the couple were still waiting for transport. She said on that day, the twins were both out of their incubators by this stage. Child E was breathing "easily" and Child F was "great".

8pm night shift – LL was designated nurse for Child F. Melanie Taylor was designated nurse for Child E.

8pm – Melanie Taylor’s nursing notes record (for Child E): "Self-ventilating in 24% oxygen, resps 6-70, minimal recession evident."

10.34pm – LL’s texts:

From nursing colleague JJ-K to LL: "Hope work ok".
LL: "...yeah it's fine, bit too Q word really."
JJ-K: "Don't complain as Wed and Thurs horrible lol! It will pick up again."

3 Aug 2015, Monday

Early hours
- nursing notes by Melanie Taylor recording two Brady desats (slow heart rate) at the early hours of August 3, requiring 'gentle stimulation' to correct. One of the Bradys is recorded as lasting 45 seconds. Child E's tummy was 'soft, not distended', had satisfactory blood gas readings and heart/respiratory rate, and fluids were being administered. The bowels were not yet opened.

8am end of night shift - Melanie Taylor's notes said 'feeds tolerated, tummy remains soft'. A family communication note is also made by the nurse: "Mum and dad visiting at start of shift, mum has been 2x with [expressed breast milk] overnight."

Mother says by August 3 the twins were "great - doing really well". "We were absolutely thrilled that both boys were doing so well and we couldn't have asked for any more than that. They were both progressing."

A nurse's record notes for that day that mum 'had long periods of skin to skin [contact]'.

10.44am – nursing note: Child E was 'self-ventilating in 25% ambient oxygen. No signs of respiratory distress...pink and well perfused....handles well. Caffeine given as prescribed.'

11.45am - A doctor's note records Child E has 'suspected sepsis', 'hyperglycaemia', and was 'off lights' for jaundice, with 'good gases'. Child E was 'tolerating well' expressed breast milk. The baby boy was 'not examined at present as having cuddles with mum'.
The plan was to 'examine later' and increase feeds. Aspirates were 'ok'.

2.10pm - Dr Emily Thomas made clinical notes: 'examination of [Child E] as having skin to skin on [ward round earlier that day]. Good tone and movements, handling appropriately throughout the day.'

Time? - Child E was placed on a small dose of insulin, given via infusion.

Abt. 5pm – Father left the hospital to go home. Mother was having skin-to-skin contact with Child E, until about 6.30pm.

5.24pm - A nursing note: Child E was 'self-ventilating in air', blood gas reading was 'satisfactory', and feeds were increased.

6.30pm – before 7pm – Mother says she changed his nappy and cleaned him around the eyes and neck. She went back up to the post-natal ward to express breast milk and have something to eat, between 7 and 8.30pm.

7pm – “cares” row on the observation chart has a tick signed by the day shift nurse.

7.30pm - At 7.30pm, Dr Emily Thomas made clinical notes, with a CRP reading less than 1, Child E was on 23% oxygen, and antibiotics were 'likely to stop at 36 hours as improving'. A series of other observations are made.

8pm nightshift – LL is designated nurse for twins E & F in room 1.

8pm –
LL’s barrister suggests the mum went down to the neonatal unit at 8pm, (not with the breast milk at that time) at the time of the handover. The mother disagrees. LL’s nursing note for 8pm written retrospectively at 4.51am: "Mummy was present at start of shift attending to cares."

Just before 9pm – Mother says; she took her expressed breast milk down to the neonatal unit, room 1; LL was the only other adult in room 1; mother heard Child E “screaming more than crying” from the corridor before she entered the room; LL was not near Child E’s incubator, she was busy doing something, standing between the two incubators at a work station; there was blood on his face around his mouth; she was there for about 10 minutes; she asked LL why he was bleeding; LL told her the NGT was rubbing the back of his throat; LL told her to go back to her ward and the registrar was on his way and if there was a problem someone would ring up to the ward. The mother went back to the ward. Mother agrees with LL’s barrister that no other staff came into the room when Child E was screaming. LL’s barrister says the screaming was not as bad as the mother describes. Mother disagrees. LL's notes: "prior to 21:00 feed, 16ml mucky slightly bile-stained aspirate obtained and discarded, abdo soft, not distended. SHO [Senior House Officer] informed, to omit feed." Pros says these notes are false.

9pm – LL recorded information to detail the volume of fluids given via the IV line and a line in Child E's left leg, and the 9pm feed is 'omitted'. The SHO said he had no recollection of giving advice to omit the 9pm feed. He believes the only time he had anything to do with Child E was in a secondary role to the registrar in an examination at 10.20pm.

c.9.10pm – Large v.slightly bile-stained aspirate is reported as happening at 9.10pm, to Dr Harkness at 9.40pm.

9.11pm – Child E’s mother phoned her husband in a call lasting 4 mins 25 secs. She says she knew there was something very wrong. Father confirms that the mother was upset and very worried about bleeding from Child E’s mouth in this call. He said he was sure the medical staff knew what they were doing and she was panicking over nothing.

9.11pm to 10.52pm – mother was waiting to hear about Child E, panicking and talking to the midwife. Mother had not seen this midwife before. She confirms the first name of the midwife was Susan. She was later told by a midwife to call her husband.

9.13pm – LL made a note in twin F’s records.

9.40pm - Dr David Harkness records readings from 9.40pm, (written at 10.10pm), 'asked to see patient re: gastric bleed'. 'Large, very slightly bile-stained aspirate 30 mins ago.' (my note - that would be 9.10pm). 14ml of blood vomit is also recorded. Dr Harkness noted Child E was 'alert, pink, well perfused', with an abdomen which was 'soft, not distended' and no bowel sounds. The note adds 'G I [gastrointestinal] bleed ? Cause'

10pm – LL’s barrister suggests that the mother went to the neonatal unit with her breast milk. “The mother absolutely disagrees.” LL’s barrister suggests LL never mentioned the feeding tube irritating Child E. Mother disagrees. LL’s barrister asks if there was a conversation between LL a doctor and her, regarding medication. Mum disagrees and says she was told (at 9pm visit) a doctor would be down to see Child E.

10pm - In the 10pm column of LL’s nursing notes for aspirates: '15ml fresh blood'. LL’s notes: "At 10pm large vomit of fresh blood. 14ml fresh blood aspirate obtained from NG tube. Reg Harkness attended. Blood gas satisfactory..." Child E was 'handling well'.
LL’s further note: 'Mum visited again approx. 10pm. Aware that we had obtained blood from his NG tube and were starting [treatment]...'

10.20pm - SHO believes the only time he had anything to do with Child E was in a secondary role to the registrar in an examination at 10.20pm.

Bef.10.52pm – neonatal unit contacted the midwife and told of deterioration.

10.52pm – the midwife called the father telling him to come to the hospital, after the neonatal unit rang the maternity ward. LL’s barrister suggests this is the call where the mother told her husband about Child E bleeding, and the mum was not as worried at the 9.11pm call as she was at 10.52pm. mother disagrees. Father says this call was split between the midwife and the mother and he was told not to panic but to get over here now. He tells LL’s barrister the bleeding was not referred to in this call.

11pm - A neonatal fluid balance chart is shown to the court, with no name or notes for the 11pm column. LL’s retrospective nursing notes said: 'NG tube on free drainage. Further 13mls blood obtained by 11pm. Beginning to desaturate and perfusion poor. Oxygen given via Neopuff'. Child E was said by LL to be 'cold to the touch' and was beginning to 'decline'.

Time? 11pm? - Dr Harkness noted '13ml blood-stained fluid from NGT on free drainage.' Child E's blood pressure was 'stable' and saturates' remained 60-70%', and 'making good respiratory effort', and was 'crying'. A plan of action, including x-rays and medication, was made.

11.30pm - A note for 11.30pm on the observation chart has blood pressure and respiratory rate recorded, no record of a heart rate made, and blank readings for cot temperature, and no initials recorded.

11.40pmChild E collapsed. LL recorded, retrospectively: "11.40pm became Bradycardiac, purple band of discolouration over abdomen, perfusion poor, CRT 3secs. "Emergency intubation successful and placed on ventilator..." Further notes by LL: 'Required 100% oxygen, saturations 80%, SIMV 22/5 rate 60. Further saline bolus and morphine bolus given. 2nd peripheral line sited..." "Once [Child E] began to deteriorate, midwifery staff were contacted." The latter note is written, retrospectively, at 4.51am.

11.40pm - Dr Harkness records, in clinical notes at this time, written retrospectively, 'Sudden deterioration at 11.40pm, brady 80-90bpm, sats 60%, poor perfusion, colour change over abdomen purple discoloured patches'. The note adds, after an improvement in sats, 'purple discolouration in abdomen remained', and a plan of action noted for Child E.

Time? – Mother (and father?) returned to the neonatal unit and sat in the corridor while Child E was being worked on by medics trying to resuscitate him.

4 Aug 2015, Tuesday

12.15am -
A further observation reading for Child E, made by LL, is taken at 12.15am, with a heart rate 'down from where it had been earlier', and a drop in temperature, recording he was on 100% oxygen.

12.25am - A consultant paediatrician arrived at the neonatal unit.

12.27am - An x-ray is taken at 12.27am, relating to the chest and abdomen.

12.30am - Shortly after 12.30am Child E was placed on breathing support and given medication after resuscitation.

12.36am - A further, 'acute deterioration' for Child E, is noted by Letby at 12.36am. 'Resus commenced as documented'. The consultant paediatrician noted CPR commenced, along with ventilations, and medications.

12.50am - A blood transfusion is started for Child E at 12.50am, and several adrenaline doses are administered.

1.01am - LL's note, for 1.01am, reads 'chest compressions no longer required'.

1.15am - LL notes 'further decline, resus recommenced'.

1.23am - CPR was discontinued at 1.23am - 'resus discontinued when [Child E] was given to parents. [Child E] was actively bleeding...'

1.40am – The time of death was recorded as 1.40am on August 4. No post-mortem was conducted.

LL’s note: 'both parents present during the resus. Fully updated by nursing and medical team throughout. Parents wished for [Child E] to be baptised....
'Child E was bathed by myself and photographs taken as requested, both were present during this. Consent obtained for [hair] and hand/footprints... 'Both distraught...'

The official documented report for the incident is made by LL - 'unexpected death following gastrointestinal bleed. Full resus unsuccessful'.

Time? - The mum says the husband asked a few questions and they were told by the (female) doctor a post-mortem "wouldn't tell them much" more than what they had already been told by the doctor, and it would delay the transfer back home.
"We just wanted to take him home."

Time? – Mother says LL bathed Child E and dressed him in a white gown. LL gave the parents a memory box. Baby E's mum says that after he died "Lucy Letby gave us a memory box, which totally surprised me.. it had footprints, a lock of his hair, a candle, a teddy. I was so overcome by emotions that this had been provided for me as I had no other memories other than that".

4.51am - LL made “fraudulent” (per opening speech) nursing notes, failing to mention that his throat was bleeding at 9pm, and falsely claiming the mother had visited at the start of the shift and later at 10pm, and that there had been a meeting between the mother and the registrar.

8am – End of LL’s night shift

8.21am - LL noted at 8.21am 'Parents resident on unit overnight. Wish to be left alone'.

8.58am – LL’s texts

Colleague: "You ok? Just heard about [E]. Did you have him? Sending hugs xx"
LL: "News travels fast - who told you? Yeah I had them both, was horrible."
Colleague responded that she had been informed by someone at the handover 'told me just now'. 'Had he been getting poorly or was it sudden?' ‘Poor you. You’re having a tough time of it.”
LL responds E had a 'massive gastrointestinal haemorrhage'.
Colleague: ‘Damn. He’d always struggled feeding. I just feel for his parents and you. You’ve had really tough times recently.’
LL responds that E was 'IUGR [Intrauterine growth restriction] and REDF [Reversal of umbilical artery end-diastolic flow]' and believed E was 'high risk'. She went on to describe how she felt ‘just awful’ and reported that the parents were distraught, saying "I feel numb".

7.55pm
– LL’s texts

Jennifer Jones-Key: "Hey how's you?"
LL: "Not so good, we lost [E] overnight."
JJ-K: "That’s sad. You’re on a terrible run at the moment. Were you in room 1?"
LL: "I had him and Baby [F]"
JJ-K: "That is not good, you need a break from it being on your shift."
LL: "It's the luck of the draw unfortunately. Only three trained (nurses), so I ended up having them both."
JJ-K: "You seem to be having some very bad luck though."
LL: "Not a lot I could do really. He had a massive haemorrhage. It could happen to any baby really."
JJ-K says Letby "did everything you could", adding she had seen a haemorrhage in babies before, and was 'horrible' to see.
LL: "This was abdominal. I’ve only seen pulmonary before.”

JJ-K asked after E’s parents.

LL: “Ok. Tired. They’ve just gone to bed.”

8pm
- LL night shift starts

7 August 2015, Friday (about - a few days after giving E’s parents a memory box)

LL gave the mother a photograph of [F] 'holding' E's teddy.

The mother had just made one of her daily visits to the hospital's chapel of rest. 'Lucy Letby told me 'I got this picture. I thought it was so amazing I took a picture for you'. She was suggesting F had rolled over and cuddled the bear'.

9 August 2015, Sunday

LL gave an account to JJ-K of saying her goodbyes to the [E&F’s] parents.

She told Ms Jones-Key that both parents had cried and hugged her: ‘saying they’d never be able to thank me enough for the love and care I gave them'.

JJ-K: 'It’s heart-breaking, but you have done your job to the highest standard with compassion and professionalism. 'When you can’t save a baby you can try to make sure that the loss of their child is their only regret. You should feel very proud of yourself'.

LL: 'I just feel sad that they’re thinking of me when they’ve lost him'.

Abt Nov 2015 - LL was told that the parents of Baby E and Baby F had come into the neonatal unit with a 'gorgeous huge hamper' for the staff. She was also told their surviving son looks 'fab'.

LL said: 'Oh gosh, did they? I wish I could have seen them. That will stay with me forever'.

Murder charge Child E – air (allegedly) injected into bloodstream and bleeding indicative of trauma.

Last edited:
This! It's still not enough to just know she searched other parents. If they're parents only of babies who died or were very touch and go then we know there's something inherently ghoulish about the searches. Or maybe they're all parents she ever met, even parents of babies who went through the unit completely fine. Or maybe there's something else in common about them. It's weird to me that that's not being clarified. As it stands it seems like vaguely useless information.

I agree, all the 'I don't remember's start to sound a bit convenient after a while. If it's not illegal, and it's not, then why not just admit to it and explain why you do it? It's a bit embarrassing, at worst, if it's not connected to the accusations.

I believe LL searched for families not involved in the cases and also I believe families with healthy babies Who went home happy. Mr Myers has stated this early on in proceedings.

there is a big question as to why LL says she doesn’t remember the searches. If you explore the parameters of the facts assuming she is telling the truth There are some possible conclusions. We really do need more information surrounding the searches though. its A well known thing to waste time fb snoopin, LL was working nights so I presume wouldn’t be as busy as during the day. If she had time to spend she might go fb snooping and that would explain why she doesn’t remember. In LL mind those fb searches were just something done to waste time and maybe without purpose. Similar to reading a book. If she genuinely doesn’t remember them we must assume the searches had no purpose other than to waste time. If it was done to waste time only then there is no significant reason to them and no reason why you would remember something so trivial. I think this fits with the statements that she had searched for allot of people. More fb scrolling than trawling. Again I’ve yet to see any denial from LL that she fb searched at all, is that denial of memory a reference to the specifics of individual searches. She remembers or knows she fb searches people but doesn’t remember why she searched for individual people. It’s also true that you wouldn’t remember specific searches if they are one search within ten, twenty etc etc. That’s why it would be good to know the internet context of the searches. If she had only looked at people in the cases that’s obviously a big red flag with skull and crossbones but that’s not what we hear. I would also be very interested to know if she had actually typed the names or if she clicked on profiles suggested by fb algorithm. Might also be true that her computer suggested Names as she typed.There’s a big difference there, if she typed the names that’s memory at root of action if she just clicked on any old profile it’s a thing of trivial scrolling. I believe there is only one mention of a search made specifically, involved a baby late in the cases and was a search only for the surname.

I find these fb searches more interesting than you might assume And their relevance to the allegations in context could be significant. if we assume she is guilty you could assume that it would take extraordinary efforts to conceal what she is alleged to have done, she also concealed it successfully if guilty. To make what must have been such gargantuan, seemingly unbelievable and consistently successful efforts to avoid arousing suspicion and then basically incriminate yourself in the very situation you were supposed to have been trying to avoid obviously makes no sense. She would have known if she was guilty that she could potentially find herself being questioned about all of these things and yet to throw away all those efforts by saying something like “I don’t remember“ is unbelievable. She would know it would be better to play the “I felt sorry for them” card but she didn’t.

I also did some maths about those searches. She searched mainly for the family of babies E and F right? those searches numbered at ten over 5 months Or 150 days. Ten searches over approx 150 days gives an incidence rate of 0.06 searches per day or spread evenly one search every ten days. Also true that number goes down if you include the last batch of searches all Made in one day I think, as one search rather than individually. I wouldn’t conclude that this is particularly excessive. It’s more borderline and difficult to get anything from. However those last searches were made around the same time as Christmas I think suggests she was looking for an update But again she might not remember if these searches were innocuous And frivolous in nature.

I also found out that the countess was dealing with around 600 newborns a year. thats many babies to remember allot about individually and I wouldn’t expect any person without specific emotional connection to remember them with ease And in great detail.

isnt it also true but I would defer to anyone with real experience that a nurse is expected to maintain professional boundaries. In essence if she experiences trauma or other emotions in regards to her work and for these families she will have to develop coping mechanisms to deal with it. One aspect of these coping mechanisms is to eventually and hopefully stop thinking about the traumatic events, because it goes against your ability to do your job. We do see that pattern, she has said a few times that “she just needs to get it out of my system” or similar words and meaning, in essence catharsis. It might also be true that she didn’t feel she needed counselling as suggested if she felt equipped to deal with the trauma. If catharsis is her chosen coping mechanism I would expect her at some point in time to forget about any traumatic event. We also see that in her fb searches, after time the searches eventually taper off in frequency in seemingly all cases With the exception of E and H. catharsis also fits with the post it note, just unwanted thoughts put on paper hopefully for a cathartic effect. I think we have enough examples to assume catharsis is a coping mechanism for LL.

it’s extremely strange to think a person so calculating, deviant and self centred would make such strenuous and consistent efforts to avoid suspicion and then throw it all away with a self incriminating statement like “I don’t remember“. it doesn’t fit with someone who is trying to hide things. That statement also gives the impression that she isn’t thinking in a particularly self centred way otherwise she would know it’s suspect and thus something to avoid doing. We also have many examples of her not latching onto offered sympathy again suggesting her not being self centred. If you say that was all an act you have to acknowledge that her “not remembering“ isn’t in line with it being an act And at a time when that “act” was supposed to have been made for.

I have to say this “not remembering“ is either a particularly brilliant lie or it’s the truth.

all my own opinion, please feel free to pick it apart.

At 8.58am on August 4 a colleague asked: 'You ok? Just heard about E. Did you have him? Sending hugs *advertiser censored*'

Letby replied: 'News travels fast – who told you?

Does this seem weird to anyone else? It's almost like she's annoyed people are talking about it. Like it's gossip or something. You're colleagues, you should know and talk about when these things happen at work. It's hardly 'oh who told you I kissed X at the office party'. But she seems really annoyed to me

Good points. It could go either way though. If you look at it from the point of view of it being sent by someone who is unquestionably innocent then you'd probably not even think twice about it. It's just the way people speak to each other. Could easily have been said by someone who was simply sad and hacked off that they lost a patient.

A timeline I've produced for baby E which contains a combination of information from the prosecution opening speech (so some events not in evidence yet) and the testimony we heard yesterday:

29 Jul 2015, Wednesday

Identical boy twins Child E and Child F born, prematurely, at 29 weeks.

Child E weighed 2lb 14oz (1.327kg). He was given oxygen then weaned to air and transferred to Room 1. He was at risk of NEC and started on antibiotics, IV fluids and caffeine. He had a nasogastric tube inserted.

Child F was marginally younger, and he required some resuscitation at birth. He was later intubated, ventilated and given meds to help his lungs. He was recorded as having high blood sugar so was prescribed a tiny dose of insulin. His breathing tube was removed and he was given breathing support. He had a long line.

30 Jul 2015, Thursday

A staff debrief into the death of Child A was held.

Mother says she was able to visit the twins in the neonatal unit, from upstairs in the post-natal wards. She said that would take about 5-10 minutes to get from one place to the other, due to having had a C-section, which made the journey time longer.
She said she was able to cuddle Child E as he wasn't on CPAP, while Child F was on CPAP.

1 Aug 2015, Saturday

Mother said Child E was progressing better, of the two twins, over July 30-31, but both were doing "really well" by August 1. She was keen to get home and was keen to transport both babies to a hospital closer to home, and was waiting for two ambulances to be provided. She said she and her partner were under the impression both babies were well enough to travel. By that stage, she had had skin-to-skin contact with both twins, and both were managing "fine". "We were never informed about anything to say they weren't fine."

8pm night shift – LL was designated nurse for Child F.

2 Aug 2015, Sunday

By August 2, mother says the couple were still waiting for transport. She said on that day, the twins were both out of their incubators by this stage. Child E was breathing "easily" and Child F was "great".

8pm night shift – LL was designated nurse for Child F. Melanie Taylor was designated nurse for Child E.

8pm – Melanie Taylor’s nursing notes record (for Child E): "Self-ventilating in 24% oxygen, resps 6-70, minimal recession evident."

10.34pm – LL’s texts:

From nursing colleague JJ-K to LL: "Hope work ok".
LL: "...yeah it's fine, bit too Q word really."
JJ-K: "Don't complain as Wed and Thurs horrible lol! It will pick up again."

3 Aug 2015, Monday

Early hours
- nursing notes by Melanie Taylor recording two Brady desats (slow heart rate) at the early hours of August 3, requiring 'gentle stimulation' to correct. One of the Bradys is recorded as lasting 45 seconds. Child E's tummy was 'soft, not distended', had satisfactory blood gas readings and heart/respiratory rate, and fluids were being administered. The bowels were not yet opened.

8am end of night shift - Melanie Taylor's notes said 'feeds tolerated, tummy remains soft'. A family communication note is also made by the nurse: "Mum and dad visiting at start of shift, mum has been 2x with [expressed breast milk] overnight."

Mother says by August 3 the twins were "great - doing really well". "We were absolutely thrilled that both boys were doing so well and we couldn't have asked for any more than that. They were both progressing."

A nurse's record notes for that day that mum 'had long periods of skin to skin [contact]'.

10.44am – nursing note: Child E was 'self-ventilating in 25% ambient oxygen. No signs of respiratory distress...pink and well perfused....handles well. Caffeine given as prescribed.'

11.45am - A doctor's note records Child E has 'suspected sepsis', 'hyperglycaemia', and was 'off lights' for jaundice, with 'good gases'. Child E was 'tolerating well' expressed breast milk. The baby boy was 'not examined at present as having cuddles with mum'.
The plan was to 'examine later' and increase feeds. Aspirates were 'ok'.

2.10pm - Dr Emily Thomas made clinical notes: 'examination of [Child E] as having skin to skin on [ward round earlier that day]. Good tone and movements, handling appropriately throughout the day.'

Time? - Child E was placed on a small dose of insulin, given via infusion.

Abt. 5pm – Father left the hospital to go home. Mother was having skin-to-skin contact with Child E, until about 6.30pm.

5.24pm - A nursing note: Child E was 'self-ventilating in air', blood gas reading was 'satisfactory', and feeds were increased.

6.30pm – before 7pm – Mother says she changed his nappy and cleaned him around the eyes and neck. She went back up to the post-natal ward to express breast milk and have something to eat, between 7 and 8.30pm.

7pm – “cares” row on the observation chart has a tick signed by the day shift nurse.

7.30pm - At 7.30pm, Dr Emily Thomas made clinical notes, with a CRP reading less than 1, Child E was on 23% oxygen, and antibiotics were 'likely to stop at 36 hours as improving'. A series of other observations are made.

8pm nightshift – LL is designated nurse for twins E & F in room 1.

8pm –
LL’s barrister suggests the mum went down to the neonatal unit at 8pm, (not with the breast milk at that time) at the time of the handover. The mother disagrees. LL’s nursing note for 8pm written retrospectively at 4.51am: "Mummy was present at start of shift attending to cares."

Just before 9pm – Mother says; she took her expressed breast milk down to the neonatal unit, room 1; LL was the only other adult in room 1; mother heard Child E “screaming more than crying” from the corridor before she entered the room; LL was not near Child E’s incubator, she was busy doing something, standing between the two incubators at a work station; there was blood on his face around his mouth; she was there for about 10 minutes; she asked LL why he was bleeding; LL told her the NGT was rubbing the back of his throat; LL told her to go back to her ward and the registrar was on his way and if there was a problem someone would ring up to the ward. The mother went back to the ward. Mother agrees with LL’s barrister that no other staff came into the room when Child E was screaming. LL’s barrister says the screaming was not as bad as the mother describes. Mother disagrees. LL's notes: "prior to 21:00 feed, 16ml mucky slightly bile-stained aspirate obtained and discarded, abdo soft, not distended. SHO [Senior House Officer] informed, to omit feed." Pros says these notes are false.

9pm – LL recorded information to detail the volume of fluids given via the IV line and a line in Child E's left leg, and the 9pm feed is 'omitted'. The SHO said he had no recollection of giving advice to omit the 9pm feed. He believes the only time he had anything to do with Child E was in a secondary role to the registrar in an examination at 10.20pm.

c.9.10pm – Large v.slightly bile-stained aspirate is reported as happening at 9.10pm, to Dr Harkness at 9.40pm.

9.11pm – Child E’s mother phoned her husband in a call lasting 4 mins 25 secs. She says she knew there was something very wrong. Father confirms that the mother was upset and very worried about bleeding from Child E’s mouth in this call. He said he was sure the medical staff knew what they were doing and she was panicking over nothing.

9.11pm to 10.52pm – mother was waiting to hear about Child E, panicking and talking to the midwife. Mother had not seen this midwife before. She confirms the first name of the midwife was Susan. She was later told by a midwife to call her husband.

9.13pm – LL made a note in twin F’s records.

9.40pm - Dr David Harkness records readings from 9.40pm, (written at 10.10pm), 'asked to see patient re: gastric bleed'. 'Large, very slightly bile-stained aspirate 30 mins ago.' (my note - that would be 9.10pm). 14ml of blood vomit is also recorded. Dr Harkness noted Child E was 'alert, pink, well perfused', with an abdomen which was 'soft, not distended' and no bowel sounds. The note adds 'G I [gastrointestinal] bleed ? Cause'

10pm – LL’s barrister suggests that the mother went to the neonatal unit with her breast milk. “The mother absolutely disagrees.” LL’s barrister suggests LL never mentioned the feeding tube irritating Child E. Mother disagrees. LL’s barrister asks if there was a conversation between LL a doctor and her, regarding medication. Mum disagrees and says she was told (at 9pm visit) a doctor would be down to see Child E.

10pm - In the 10pm column of LL’s nursing notes for aspirates: '15ml fresh blood'. LL’s notes: "At 10pm large vomit of fresh blood. 14ml fresh blood aspirate obtained from NG tube. Reg Harkness attended. Blood gas satisfactory..." Child E was 'handling well'.
LL’s further note: 'Mum visited again approx. 10pm. Aware that we had obtained blood from his NG tube and were starting [treatment]...'

10.20pm - SHO believes the only time he had anything to do with Child E was in a secondary role to the registrar in an examination at 10.20pm.

Bef.10.52pm – neonatal unit contacted the midwife and told of deterioration.

10.52pm – the midwife called the father telling him to come to the hospital, after the neonatal unit rang the maternity ward. LL’s barrister suggests this is the call where the mother told her husband about Child E bleeding, and the mum was not as worried at the 9.11pm call as she was at 10.52pm. mother disagrees. Father says this call was split between the midwife and the mother and he was told not to panic but to get over here now. He tells LL’s barrister the bleeding was not referred to in this call.

11pm - A neonatal fluid balance chart is shown to the court, with no name or notes for the 11pm column. LL’s retrospective nursing notes said: 'NG tube on free drainage. Further 13mls blood obtained by 11pm. Beginning to desaturate and perfusion poor. Oxygen given via Neopuff'. Child E was said by LL to be 'cold to the touch' and was beginning to 'decline'.

Time? 11pm? - Dr Harkness noted '13ml blood-stained fluid from NGT on free drainage.' Child E's blood pressure was 'stable' and saturates' remained 60-70%', and 'making good respiratory effort', and was 'crying'. A plan of action, including x-rays and medication, was made.

11.30pm - A note for 11.30pm on the observation chart has blood pressure and respiratory rate recorded, no record of a heart rate made, and blank readings for cot temperature, and no initials recorded.

11.40pmChild E collapsed. LL recorded, retrospectively: "11.40pm became Bradycardiac, purple band of discolouration over abdomen, perfusion poor, CRT 3secs. "Emergency intubation successful and placed on ventilator..." Further notes by LL: 'Required 100% oxygen, saturations 80%, SIMV 22/5 rate 60. Further saline bolus and morphine bolus given. 2nd peripheral line sited..." "Once [Child E] began to deteriorate, midwifery staff were contacted." The latter note is written, retrospectively, at 4.51am.

11.40pm - Dr Harkness records, in clinical notes at this time, written retrospectively, 'Sudden deterioration at 11.40pm, brady 80-90bpm, sats 60%, poor perfusion, colour change over abdomen purple discoloured patches'. The note adds, after an improvement in sats, 'purple discolouration in abdomen remained', and a plan of action noted for Child E.

Time? – Mother (and father?) returned to the neonatal unit and sat in the corridor while Child E was being worked on by medics trying to resuscitate him.

4 Aug 2015, Tuesday

12.15am -
A further observation reading for Child E, made by LL, is taken at 12.15am, with a heart rate 'down from where it had been earlier', and a drop in temperature, recording he was on 100% oxygen.

12.25am - A consultant paediatrician arrived at the neonatal unit.

12.27am - An x-ray is taken at 12.27am, relating to the chest and abdomen.

12.30am - Shortly after 12.30am Child E was placed on breathing support and given medication after resuscitation.

12.36am - A further, 'acute deterioration' for Child E, is noted by Letby at 12.36am. 'Resus commenced as documented'. The consultant paediatrician noted CPR commenced, along with ventilations, and medications.

12.50am - A blood transfusion is started for Child E at 12.50am, and several adrenaline doses are administered.

1.01am - LL's note, for 1.01am, reads 'chest compressions no longer required'.

1.15am - LL notes 'further decline, resus recommenced'.

1.23am - CPR was discontinued at 1.23am - 'resus discontinued when [Child E] was given to parents. [Child E] was actively bleeding...'

1.40am – The time of death was recorded as 1.40am on August 4. No post-mortem was conducted.

LL’s note: 'both parents present during the resus. Fully updated by nursing and medical team throughout. Parents wished for [Child E] to be baptised....
'Child E was bathed by myself and photographs taken as requested, both were present during this. Consent obtained for [hair] and hand/footprints... 'Both distraught...'

The official documented report for the incident is made by LL - 'unexpected death following gastrointestinal bleed. Full resus unsuccessful'.

Time? - The mum says the husband asked a few questions and they were told by the (female) doctor a post-mortem "wouldn't tell them much" more than what they had already been told by the doctor, and it would delay the transfer back home.
"We just wanted to take him home."

Time? – Mother says LL bathed Child E and dressed him in a white gown. LL gave the parents a memory box. Baby E's mum says that after he died "Lucy Letby gave us a memory box, which totally surprised me.. it had footprints, a lock of his hair, a candle, a teddy. I was so overcome by emotions that this had been provided for me as I had no other memories other than that".

4.51am - LL made “fraudulent” (per opening speech) nursing notes, failing to mention that his throat was bleeding at 9pm, and falsely claiming the mother had visited at the start of the shift and later at 10pm, and that there had been a meeting between the mother and the registrar.

8am – End of LL’s night shift

8.21am - LL noted at 8.21am 'Parents resident on unit overnight. Wish to be left alone'.

8.58am – LL’s texts

Colleague: "You ok? Just heard about [E]. Did you have him? Sending hugs xx"
LL: "News travels fast - who told you? Yeah I had them both, was horrible."
Colleague responded that she had been informed by someone at the handover 'told me just now'. 'Had he been getting poorly or was it sudden?' ‘Poor you. You’re having a tough time of it.”
LL responds E had a 'massive gastrointestinal haemorrhage'.
Colleague: ‘Damn. He’d always struggled feeding. I just feel for his parents and you. You’ve had really tough times recently.’
LL responds that E was 'IUGR [Intrauterine growth restriction] and REDF [Reversal of umbilical artery end-diastolic flow]' and believed E was 'high risk'. She went on to describe how she felt ‘just awful’ and reported that the parents were distraught, saying "I feel numb".

7.55pm
– LL’s texts

Jennifer Jones-Key: "Hey how's you?"
LL: "Not so good, we lost [E] overnight."
JJ-K: "That’s sad. You’re on a terrible run at the moment. Were you in room 1?"
LL: "I had him and Baby [F]"
JJ-K: "That is not good, you need a break from it being on your shift."
LL: "It's the luck of the draw unfortunately. Only three trained (nurses), so I ended up having them both."
JJ-K: "You seem to be having some very bad luck though."
LL: "Not a lot I could do really. He had a massive haemorrhage. It could happen to any baby really."
JJ-K says Letby "did everything you could", adding she had seen a haemorrhage in babies before, and was 'horrible' to see.
LL: "This was abdominal. I’ve only seen pulmonary before.”

JJ-K asked after E’s parents.

LL: “Ok. Tired. They’ve just gone to bed.”

8pm
- LL night shift starts

7 August 2015, Friday (about - a few days after giving E’s parents a memory box)

LL gave the mother a photograph of [F] 'holding' E's teddy.

The mother had just made one of her daily visits to the hospital's chapel of rest. 'Lucy Letby told me 'I got this picture. I thought it was so amazing I took a picture for you'. She was suggesting F had rolled over and cuddled the bear'.

9 August 2015, Sunday

LL gave an account to JJ-K of saying her goodbyes to the [E&F’s] parents.

She told Ms Jones-Key that both parents had cried and hugged her: ‘saying they’d never be able to thank me enough for the love and care I gave them'.

JJ-K: 'It’s heart-breaking, but you have done your job to the highest standard with compassion and professionalism. 'When you can’t save a baby you can try to make sure that the loss of their child is their only regret. You should feel very proud of yourself'.

LL: 'I just feel sad that they’re thinking of me when they’ve lost him'.

Abt Nov 2015 - LL was told that the parents of Baby E and Baby F had come into the neonatal unit with a 'gorgeous huge hamper' for the staff. She was also told their surviving son looks 'fab'.

LL said: 'Oh gosh, did they? I wish I could have seen them. That will stay with me forever'.

Murder charge Child E – air (allegedly) injected into bloodstream and bleeding indicative of trauma.
That makes it so much clearer thanks !

So imo LL told the Dr she had aspirated bile around the time the mother saw the blood ...imo the reasons for this may be :

Despite not denying it was blood to the mum she wrote "something" down to cover that episode

By saying it was bile instead of blood would delay the intervention needed to help the baby.

By adding a false aspiration of bile to the records would help the Dr's look towards NEC as a cause rather than trauma.

I really can't rationalise this I feel its so damning...that mum definitely went back to her ward with the perception of blood being around her child's mouth whilst screaming...if it was a mucky or bile aspirate as LL documented why on earth did she allow the mum to think it was blood?

I believe LL searched for families not involved in the cases and also I believe families with healthy babies Who went home happy. Mr Myers has stated this early on in proceedings.

there is a big question as to why LL says she doesn’t remember the searches. If you explore the parameters of the facts assuming she is telling the truth There are some possible conclusions. We really do need more information surrounding the searches though. its A well known thing to waste time fb snoopin, LL was working nights so I presume wouldn’t be as busy as during the day. If she had time to spend she might go fb snooping and that would explain why she doesn’t remember. In LL mind those fb searches were just something done to waste time and maybe without purpose. Similar to reading a book. If she genuinely doesn’t remember them we must assume the searches had no purpose other than to waste time. If it was done to waste time only then there is no significant reason to them and no reason why you would remember something so trivial. I think this fits with the statements that she had searched for allot of people. More fb scrolling than trawling. Again I’ve yet to see any denial from LL that she fb searched at all, is that denial of memory a reference to the specifics of individual searches. She remembers or knows she fb searches people but doesn’t remember why she searched for individual people. It’s also true that you wouldn’t remember specific searches if they are one search within ten, twenty etc etc. That’s why it would be good to know the internet context of the searches. If she had only looked at people in the cases that’s obviously a big red flag with skull and crossbones but that’s not what we hear. I would also be very interested to know if she had actually typed the names or if she clicked on profiles suggested by fb algorithm. Might also be true that her computer suggested Names as she typed.There’s a big difference there, if she typed the names that’s memory at root of action if she just clicked on any old profile it’s a thing of trivial scrolling. I believe there is only one mention of a search made specifically, involved a baby late in the cases and was a search only for the surname.

I find these fb searches more interesting than you might assume And their relevance to the allegations in context could be significant. if we assume she is guilty you could assume that it would take extraordinary efforts to conceal what she is alleged to have done, she also concealed it successfully if guilty. To make what must have been such gargantuan, seemingly unbelievable and consistently successful efforts to avoid arousing suspicion and then basically incriminate yourself in the very situation you were supposed to have been trying to avoid obviously makes no sense. She would have known if she was guilty that she could potentially find herself being questioned about all of these things and yet to throw away all those efforts by saying something like “I don’t remember“ is unbelievable. She would know it would be better to play the “I felt sorry for them” card but she didn’t.

I also did some maths about those searches. She searched mainly for the family of babies E and F right? those searches numbered at ten over 5 months Or 150 days. Ten searches over approx 150 days gives an incidence rate of 0.06 searches per day or spread evenly one search every ten days. Also true that number goes down if you include the last batch of searches all Made in one day I think, as one search rather than individually. I wouldn’t conclude that this is particularly excessive. It’s more borderline and difficult to get anything from. However those last searches were made around the same time as Christmas I think suggests she was looking for an update But again she might not remember if these searches were innocuous And frivolous in nature.

I also found out that the countess was dealing with around 600 newborns a year. thats many babies to remember allot about individually and I wouldn’t expect any person without specific emotional connection to remember them with ease And in great detail.

isnt it also true but I would defer to anyone with real experience that a nurse is expected to maintain professional boundaries. In essence if she experiences trauma or other emotions in regards to her work and for these families she will have to develop coping mechanisms to deal with it. One aspect of these coping mechanisms is to eventually and hopefully stop thinking about the traumatic events, because it goes against your ability to do your job. We do see that pattern, she has said a few times that “she just needs to get it out of my system” or similar words and meaning, in essence catharsis. It might also be true that she didn’t feel she needed counselling as suggested if she felt equipped to deal with the trauma. If catharsis is her chosen coping mechanism I would expect her at some point in time to forget about any traumatic event. We also see that in her fb searches, after time the searches eventually taper off in frequency in seemingly all cases With the exception of E and H. catharsis also fits with the post it note, just unwanted thoughts put on paper hopefully for a cathartic effect. I think we have enough examples to assume catharsis is a coping mechanism for LL.

it’s extremely strange to think a person so calculating, deviant and self centred would make such strenuous and consistent efforts to avoid suspicion and then throw it all away with a self incriminating statement like “I don’t remember“. it doesn’t fit with someone who is trying to hide things. That statement also gives the impression that she isn’t thinking in a particularly self centred way otherwise she would know it’s suspect and thus something to avoid doing. We also have many examples of her not latching onto offered sympathy again suggesting her not being self centred. If you say that was all an act you have to acknowledge that her “not remembering“ isn’t in line with it being an act And at a time when that “act” was supposed to have been made for.

I have to say this “not remembering“ is either a particularly brilliant lie or it’s the truth.

all my own opinion, please feel free to pick it apart.
"I would also be very interested to know if she had actually typed the names or if she clicked on profiles suggested by fb algorithm. Might also be true that her computer suggested Names as she typed.There’s a big difference there, if she typed the names that’s memory at root of action if she just clicked on any old profile it’s a thing of trivial scrolling"

It would be extremely coincidental if she's just randomly typing names into the facebook search bar and it autocompletes as a name of her recent patient's parents. This isn't how facebook works.
She did social media searches on the parents two days after Child E’s death, and on August 23, September 14, October 5, November 5, December 7, and even on December 25.
The prosecution say there were further searches in January 2016.

That is not benign scrolling.

10:52am

Members of the jury are now coming into court, and the trial will resume.

10:53am

The judge, Mr Justice James Goss, says "travel difficulties" have caused the delay this morning for the court.

That makes it so much clearer thanks !

So imo LL told the Dr she had aspirated bile around the time the mother saw the blood ...imo the reasons for this may be :

Despite not denying it was blood to the mum she wrote "something" down to cover that episode

By saying it was bile instead of blood would delay the intervention needed to help the baby.

By adding a false aspiration of bile to the records would help the Dr's look towards NEC as a cause rather than trauma.

I really can't rationalise this I feel its so damning...that mum definitely went back to her ward with the perception of blood being around her child's mouth whilst screaming...if it was a mucky or bile aspirate as LL documented why on earth did she allow the mum to think it was blood?
In my mind it seems unquestionably to have been blood, with the recorded quantities of blood coming up the tube after that point. The fact it was according to the mum around his mouth means that first bleed wasn't coming out of the end of the tube, it was very likely to have been from trauma to the throat (accompanied by screaming) and the baby was then swallowing blood for it to come up the tube from the stomach. But I am not a qualified medic, or even an unqualified one.

I agree as to why LL recorded bile that she'd 'discarded'.

11:01am

Agreed evidence is now being read out by prosecutor Simon Driver.
A statement by Susan Brookes is read out, dated April 2, 2019. She was a registered midwife at the Countess of Chester Hospital in August 2015.
She said there would have been two midwives working that night shift.
She said her responsibilities included making sure the mother was well and providing emotional support when needed.
Her 'midwife notes' are presented to the court, showing the mum of Child E was 'post-natal well', and one of the twins had 'deteriorated slightly'.

At 11.30pm on August 3 she had a call from the neonatal unit to ask Child E's mother to go down in 30 minutes as Child E had a bleed and required intubating - 'very poorly'.

She said the mum was very upset and she thought the 30-minute was 'unreasonable' and asked to go sooner.
At midnight, the midwife stayed with Child E's mother for 10 minutes in the corridor outside the neonatal nursery room where Child E and Child F were, and the mum was eventually allowed in once medical staff had stabilised Child E.

11:05am

Dr Christopher Wood has now been called to give evidence.
He confirms that in August 2015, he was on a four-month trainee placement at the Countess of Chester Hospital, as part of his GP training, and was present at the birth of Child E and Child F.
After assisting with the delivery, he did not have contact with the twin boys until the night of August 3-4.
He said he was on call, primarily on the paediatric unit as it was an area where he was "more comfortable", but would be called to the neonatal unit if needed.
He was the more junior doctor to the other one present that night, Dr David Harkness.

11:07am

He said he was called to the neonatal unit as part of a crash call, having been in the doctors room in the paediatric unit, writing up notes.

11:13am

He says he didn't recall being on the neonatal unit that night, prior to the crash call at 11.40pm.
He confirms signing for a prescription of morphine bolus for Child E.
Dr Wood says he would have had very little experience of intubating babies, so he would have done the prescription as a formality.
The accompanying medical note by Dr Wood says 'Sats 60-70%
'Morphine bolus - sats improved to 80%'.
He recalls he immediately attended upon notification of the crash call.
He said a number of people were ready, and resuscitation attempts had already begun upon his arrival.
He said the best thing to do was do other jobs while more experienced members of the team did more specialised aspects of the resusciation.
He recorded notes and made sure things weren't missed.

11:20am

Dr Wood had made a note of staff present during the resuscitation - a team of six, including himself, Dr Harkness, a further doctor, and three senior nurses including Lucy Letby.
Clinical notes made by Dr Wood record the efforts to resuscitate Child E from 12.37am. Five doses of adrenaline are administered during the efforts.
While chest compressions stop at 1.01am, with ventilations continuing, Child E's heart rate fell again at 1.15am and CPR recommenced.
At 1.23am, CPR stopped and Child E was cleaned.
At 1.24am, ventilation [efforts] stopped and Child E was given to the parents.

11:24am

A pathology report is shown to the court, showing Child E with 'relevant clinical details: GI bleed'.
Dr Wood says he cannot recall details surrounding this.
Ben Myers KC, for Letby's defence, says Dr Wood was split between the paediatric and neonatal wards.
He says Dr Wood had 'very little experience with neonates'. Dr Wood agrees.
Mr Myers asks if this was Dr Wood's last night shift with the Countess. Dr Wood says he believes the following night was his last one.

11:27am

Mr Myers says if you lose a significant quantity of blood from a neonate, that would be different from an adult losing a significant quantity of blood, as there could be time to 'seal a gastric bleed' in an adult. Dr Wood agrees.
A clinical note is shown with 'plan - discuss with surgeons, with x-rays'.
Mr Myers asks if Dr Wood was aware surgeons were at the Countess of Chester Hospital who were capable of performing gastric surgery on neonates of the size of Child E.
Dr Wood: "I'm not aware of that. I would imagine most [likely] this would be Alder Hey [Hospital in Liverpool]."

"I would also be very interested to know if she had actually typed the names or if she clicked on profiles suggested by fb algorithm. Might also be true that her computer suggested Names as she typed.There’s a big difference there, if she typed the names that’s memory at root of action if she just clicked on any old profile it’s a thing of trivial scrolling"

It would be extremely coincidental if she's just randomly typing names into the facebook search bar and it autocompletes as a name of her recent patient's parents. This isn't how facebook works.
She did social media searches on the parents two days after Child E’s death, and on August 23, September 14, October 5, November 5, December 7, and even on December 25.
The prosecution say there were further searches in January 2016.

That is not benign scrolling.

not necessarily true. Names nearly Always are similar, how many people do you know called James, Jenny, smith, Jones etc the algorithm would suggest people locally as well, it would suggest people who have internet searched for the hospital and things of a similar nature to babies For example, “neonatal unit” “delivering a baby” etc all things LL would have likely searched for as well. In essence if two people search for similar things on the web then FB algorithm suggests these people have similar interests and then suggests them as potentially friends or connected. the algorithm isnt at all random. It actively searches for people in some way connected to you.

those search timings do taper off as well. three searches close to the event and to eachother And then once a month after Eventually stopping altogether Presumably as the memory is dealt with and forgoten.

those fb searches around January suggest she is looking for an update in the new year, maybe even a positive one. they were certainly clustered around that time. I would also be very interested to know if these searches stopped if the parents actually updated their status as well. Fitting for a cathartic effect, if LL saw the update and it told her that family had maybe dealt with the tragedy it might give her enough to properly let go and “move on”. It’s also true that only one set of parents were looked for to any excessive degree. Why only that one family?

Last edited:
11:28am

Mr Myers says, for the birth, there were 'potential complications' for the twins. Dr Wood agrees.
Mr Myers says the doctors for the neonatal unit were shared with the maternity and paediatric units, and their duties were split.
Dr Wood says that was the case, but the doctors would normally be assigned a specific unit per shift.

11:31am

Mr Myers refers to the night of August 3.
Dr Wood confirms he was the only senior health officer covering paediatrics and the neonatal unit, with Dr Harkness the only registrar covering those units that night.
Mr Myers asks if Dr Wood recalls at 9-10pm, receiving a report of a bile-stained aspiration on the neonatal unit.
Dr Wood says he doesn't recall - he doesn't remember.
Mr Myers asks if doctors would receive news of such reports from the neonatal unit.
Dr Wood says he probably would not have received a call from the registrar to him about it.
He adds he was on the paediatric unit by himself, and it was his understanding that, therefore, Dr Harkness would have been on the neonatal unit 'at some point during the evening'.

11:34am

Mr Driver rises to ask about the bile-stained aspirate via a phone call. He asks in Dr Wood's capacity as a GP trainee, if he had received any data/information about a neonatal unit patient, what he would have done.
He repleis if he had received a call from a nurse, he would have taken action, and if it was from a registrar, it would have most likely been out of courtesy.
In the former case, he would have recorded it in his notes and would have sought advice from the registrar.

11:34am

Mr Driver rises to ask about the bile-stained aspirate via a phone call. He asks in Dr Wood's capacity as a GP trainee, if he had received any data/information about a neonatal unit patient, what he would have done.
He repleis if he had received a call from a nurse, he would have taken action, and if it was from a registrar, it would have most likely been out of courtesy.
In the former case, he would have recorded it in his notes and would have sought advice from the registrar.

I think this is the SHO (Chester Standard referred to him in the previous post as the senior health officer but I think that should be Senior House Officer?) LL referred to in her notes. It doesn't appear he was asked about whether he advised LL to skip the 9pm feed.

At 8.58am on August 4 a colleague asked: 'You ok? Just heard about E. Did you have him? Sending hugs *advertiser censored*'

Letby replied: 'News travels fast – who told you?

Does this seem weird to anyone else? It's almost like she's annoyed people are talking about it. Like it's gossip or something. You're colleagues, you should know and talk about when these things happen at work. It's hardly 'oh who told you I kissed X at the office party'. But she seems really annoyed to me

I'm still on the fence with this case -but- yes, that sounds oddly officious and annoyed to me. It's not the first thing one would think to say when discussing a tragedy IMO. Perhaps, if innocent, she was feeling guilty / ashamed / like a failure or paranoid that people are thinking she's a rubbish nurse.

I'm still on the fence with this case -but- yes, that sounds oddly officious and annoyed to me. It's not the first thing one would think to say when discussing a tragedy IMO. Perhaps, if innocent, she was feeling guilty / ashamed / like a failure or paranoid that people are thinking she's a rubbish nurse.
That would be a reasonable assumption to make too.

She could be defensive because 1) she caused their deaths or 2) people noticing a pattern suggests she is bad at her job, and thus somewhat responsible

11:59am

The trial has had a short adjournment, and is now resuming.
The next witness to give evidence is a nurse who cannot be named due to reporting restrictions.

12:01pm

The Countess of Chester Hospital neonatal nurse has previously given evidence earlier in the trial.
She has returned to give evidence in the case of Child E.

not necessarily true. Names nearly Always are similar, how many people do you know called James, Jenny, smith, Jones etc the algorithm would suggest people locally as well, it would suggest people who have internet searched for the hospital and things of a similar nature to babies For example, “neonatal unit” “delivering a baby” etc all things LL would have likely searched for as well. In essence if two people search for similar things on the web then FB algorithm suggests these people have similar interests and then suggests them as potentially friends or connected. the algorithm isnt at all random. It actively searches for people in some way connected to you.

those search timings do taper off as well. three searches close to the event and to eachother And then once a month after Eventually stopping altogether Presumably as the memory is dealt with and forgoten.

those fb searches around January suggest she is looking for an update in the new year, maybe even a positive one. they were certainly clustered around that time. I would also be very interested to know if these searches stopped if the parents actually updated their status as well. Fitting for a cathartic effect, if LL saw the update and it told her that family had maybe dealt with the tragedy it might give her enough to properly let go and “move on”. It’s also true that only one set of parents were looked for to any excessive degree. Why only that one family?
So, three days after Child E dies, she's just typing common first names into the facebook bar (as we all do...) and goes oh look there's Joe Bloggs Child E's father, what are the chances! Then continues to do this multiple times, and once on Christmas. Seems extremely unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper