UK - Nurse Lucy Letby, murder of babies, 7 Guilty of murder verdicts; 8 Guilty of attempted murder; 2 Not Guilty of attempted; 5 hung re attempted #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
3:18pm

It can now be revealed child serial killer Lucy Letby was compelled to hear part of the sentencing remarks she refused to listen to last year as they were read out ahead of her latest trial.
Former neo-natal nurse Letby, 34, refused to attend her sentencing at Manchester Crown Court after she was convicted in August of murdering seven babies and attempting to murder six others – with two attempts on one victim – at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016.
The mother of two of her victims said her absence was “one final act of wickedness” while Prime Minister Rishi Sunak branded Letby “cowardly” as he said the Government was looking at changing the law to force criminals to attend sentencing hearings.
Letby received 14 whole life terms of imprisonment – one for each offence she committed.
In June, Letby returned to the same courtroom to face a retrial on an allegation that the previous jury could not reach a verdict on – that she attempted to murder a baby girl during a night shift at the hospital’s neo-natal unit in February 2016.
Her legal team tried, unsuccessfully, to throw out the case before it started as they argued she could not have a fair trial due in part to a “tsunami of prejudicial comment” in the aftermath of her convictions.
But prosecutor Nick Johnson KC countered that what followed in media coverage was “nothing more than a fair reflection of the facts of this case”, which included the sentencing remarks of Mr Justice Goss.
Referring to Letby, who he said “of course was not there”, he reminded the high court judge of what he said on sentencing.
Letby looked largely to the floor in the courtroom dock as Mr Johnson took seven minutes to read a section of the remarks while a packed public gallery watched on in silence.
He said: “My lord, you said ‘you acted in a way that was completely contrary to the normal human instincts of nurturing and caring for babies and in gross breach of the trust that all citizens place in those who work in the medical and caring professions … the lives of newborn or relatively newborn babies were ended almost as soon as they began and lifelong harm has been caused, all in horrific circumstances.
“‘Loving parents have been robbed of their cherished children and others have to live with the physical and mental consequences of your actions. Siblings have been deprived of brothers and sisters.
“‘You have caused deep psychological trauma, brought enduring grief and feelings of guilt, caused strains in relationships and disruption to the lives of all the families of all your victims’.”

I love that he made her listen to her sentencing remarks!
Yes me too!
Very glad she got another guilty verdict. Evil person.

Dr j said she was inactive at the time he saw her with baby k which I just don't think is right when you have a fragile and new baby desating. You would seek help immediately and do what you can in the meanwhile. I wouldn't want to do that on my own. Two thins wrong she didn't call for help or adjust the oxygen and the alarm isn't sounding? It does sound too out for me and that's without her prior convictions.

Wtf was she doing? Just staring with eyes wide wide open as the baby starts going down? Grim.

Indeed. I've often thought about this incident. I don't believe for one second it was anything other than LL watching the results of her deliberate sabotage and deriving macabre satisfaction from it. Any other nurse would be frantically checking equipment, or raising the alarm.

On Tuesday, a different jury convicted her of trying to murder a “very premature” baby girl by dislodging her breathing tube in the early hours of Feb. 17, 2016.

The parents of the baby gasped and cried as the verdict was read after three and a half hours of deliberations.

Letby showed no emotion.

Senior Prosecutor Nicola Wyn Williams said Letby removed the baby's breathing support and a doctor found her standing by doing nothing as the child struggled.

“Staff at the unit had to think the unthinkable — that one of their own was deliberately harming and killing babies in their care,” Williams said.

Letby is serving a life sentence with no chance of release.

What about those who protected her?

And by protecting,
enabled her?

Did the victims who are brain damaged receive compensation?

Did the parents of brain damaged children who need 24/7 care receive help?

Is this particular hospital safe?

What safety measures were adopted?

How come a deranged baby killer was able to run rampage for such a long time,
not bothered by anybody?

There are maaaany questions concerning this absolutely revolting case.

JMO

Last edited:
I wonder when we can find out what her 4 reasons were for trying to get her convictions thrown out?
I imagine she will make an attempt to appeal this conviction on the basis that it was an unfairly prejudiced trial with the publicity of her first trial, etc. After that point, or whenever her time limit for appealing expires, I think they will release all.

Court of appeal doc

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajonesey
Back