UK UK - Paul Baker, 52, was last seen on CCTV outside Sainsburys in Melton Mowbray, Leics, shortly before 5pm on 13 Jan 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MsMiniSleuth

Reaction score
‘All I want to do is give you a big hug’: Appeal from the wife of missing man Paul Baker

The wife of Paul Baker – who has been reported missing from Asfordby – is making a direct appeal for him to return home.

Paul, 52, was last seen in the West Avenue area of Melton by his family on Saturday (13 January) and was reported missing the following day.

CCTV footage obtained by officers showed him outside Sainsburys in Melton shortly before 5pm on the day he was last seen. He was wearing a grey hooded top and carrying a rucksack with possibly a sleeping bag attached at the base.

His wife, Rachel Baker, 50, said: “Paul, if you see this, please just come home. All I want to do is give you a big hug. I miss you so much, as does our Gabs.

“Our dogs – Darcy and Betty – miss you too. If I say your name, they get up. We all want you back.”

“I know you love the outdoors, but we’re all worried about you, especially as it’s so cold at the minute. I need to know that you’re eating properly.

“I love you so much and I won’t stop looking for you until I find you. It doesn’t matter why you left – please come home so we can continue our lives together.”

Paul, pictured below with Rachel, is of a slim build and is 5ft 6ins tall. He has receding mousey grey hair and stubble. When his family last saw him, he was wearing jeans and possibly a long Parka style jacket.

Anyone who has seen Paul, or knows of his whereabouts, is asked to contact 101, quoting incident 656 of 14 January.

Screenshot_20240119-232028_Facebook-01.jpeg

He was wearing a grey hooded top and carrying a rucksack with possibly a sleeping bag attached at the base.

“I know you love the outdoors, but we’re all worried about you, especially as it’s so cold at the minute. I need to know that you’re eating properly.[...]

When his family last saw him, he was wearing jeans and possibly a long Parka style jacket.
I really hope he hasn't gone camping. It's been especially cold the last week and jeans aren't the best choice in the world to keep out the frost :(

I really hope he hasn't gone camping. It's been especially cold the last week and jeans aren't the best choice in the world to keep out the frost :(

Unlikely in a normal state of mind to go off without telling wife or anyone. Sounds like something going on with him, that he needed to get away, be alone. The weather is absolutely freezing too.

Unlikely in a normal state of mind to go off without telling wife or anyone. Sounds like something going on with him, that he needed to get away, be alone. The weather is absolutely freezing too.

Agree with you, it seems to me he wanted to get away from it all for a bit. The weather is a real worry.

I live just outside of Melton Mowbray , the town itself is surrounded by rolling countryside , it would be quite easy to hide out and not be spotted . I know the police were conducting searches on foot up towards the Vale of Belvoir direction.

It's been awfully cold here -8 degrees one night, i hope if he is hiding out somewhere he has the correct gear.

I do wonder what his mental state was like at the time, the sleeping bag and rug sack would suggest he planned to escape but continue to (crudely put) be alive. His wife shared a post stating we know you love the outdoors, does this mean he's experienced and therefore would find it easier to cope in those low temps we had....

The CCTV from outside of the supermarket, I wonder if he went into the shops , for supplies / if so police looked at what he purchased canned goods etc ? or there is a cash machine outside too possibly withdrawing money.

There's a lot of what -ifs with this one, i appreciate we wont know all of the facts but it would make it easier to try and work out where Paul was headed.

This is the image shared in the original police appeal on Facebook.

I assume that is him outside the Sainsbury’s. JMO but his attire and gear look more like someone who is going to run off to sofa surf or stay in a hostel than someone who is going for an outdoor adventure. He’s dressed like he’s heading out for dinner, not for winter camping. And he does have a bag in his hand, so I’m guessing he went into a shop. What did he buy?

I wonder if they’ve checked cctv at the train station. It’s not terribly far from the Sainsbury’s. He looks like he’s dressed to hop on a train with some food. I hope that’s the case and he’s just needed a break and has been staying somewhere warm all this time. The sleeping bag is actually a heartening sign. MOO

Attachments

• IMG_4033.jpeg
    IMG_4033.jpeg
    471.6 KB · Views: 29
I do wonder what his mental state was like at the time, the sleeping bag and rug sack would suggest he planned to escape but continue to (crudely put) be alive. His wife shared a post stating we know you love the outdoors, does this mean he's experienced and therefore would find it easier to cope in those low temps we had....

The CCTV from outside of the supermarket, I wonder if he went into the shops , for supplies / if so police looked at what he purchased canned goods etc ? or there is a cash machine outside too possibly withdrawing money.

There's a lot of what -ifs with this one, i appreciate we wont know all of the facts but it would make it easier to try and work out where Paul was headed.
Hi,
I'm Pauls sister in law.
The CCTV shows him stood outside the cash machine at Sainsburys in Melton Mowbray. He withdrew cash but did not buy anything from the shop. The Police have checked the trains etc but nothing! There have been possible sightings of him in Skegness, we are not sure how he got there but he may have hitched a lift.

There was a post by Lincolnshire police yesterday about an unidentified body. I know there was talk about Paul going to Skegness which is Lincolnshire. I don’t think this cud be Paul but it does time in when Leicestershire police removed Paul’s appeals.
There's 2 further posts on Lincolnshire Police's Facebook showing this unknown person's tattoos. From SM photos, these don't match Paul's. Still hopeful for good news

There's 2 further posts on Lincolnshire Police's Facebook showing this unknown person's tattoos. From SM photos, these don't match Paul's. Still hopeful for good news
Yes police have said they are aware of MP from other forces. My opinion is perhaps Paul has made contact with the police so the appeals are down and perhaps he doesn’t want contact with anybody.

Paul's sister has commented on one of the appeals that it is not Paul.

My initial thought was that the man could be from Eastern Europe, and indeed Lincolnshire Police have now issued the appeal in a number of languages.

Family are still appealing for Paul despite police taking down there appeals. it Appears family have confirmed Paul was seen on CCTV down south last weekend. There must be more to this, police should only close missing cases if people are found or if there is a welfare check on the Missing person and police are satisfied the MP is of fit state of mind and they want to stay missing through choice.

Have they clarified what ‘down south’ means?

No, they haven't, but I've seen Brighton, Chichester and "making his way towards Portsmouth" mentioned. It all suggests to me that the police have found Paul, but that he has exercised his "right to disappear". The police are thus duty bound to not disclose his whereabouts, and this probably explains why so much about his disappearance has not or can not be clarified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back