UK UK - Penny Bell, 43, Ealing, London, 6 June 1991

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My own view is that PB was murdered by someone known to her and the overkill suggests passion in the manner of her killing. There may have been a blackmailing angle regarding her husbands sexual history but an unrequited sexual obsession for her seems more likely to me. There is a clear suspect in my book, one who has from time to time tried to insert himself into the story. That person met Penny that morning and his finger prints were the only ones found in her car. I would like to know what his alibi was for the actual time of the murder, which must surely have been the reason why he was never brought to trial. Is he still alive?

• Penny Bell
    Penny Bell was stabbed to death in broad daylight (
    Image:
    Daily Mirror)
    Penny Bell's family at her funeral
    Penny Bell's family at her funeral

• 1 Jun 2022
  • Penny Bell's daughter teams up with top cop to try and solve her mum's killing
  • ''Her daughter Lauren Bell has turned detective in an attempt to solve the mystery. She has teamed up with Brian Edwards, the officer who led the initial police investigation into the murder 31 years ago.

Together, they are determined to crack the case.

Penny, 43, was stabbed 50 times in broad daylight in her Jaguar in a busy leisure centre car park in June 1991. There were no signs of robbery or sexual assault.

Lauren, 40, said: “I believe my mum’s killer is still alive and walking free. I won’t rest until I know who murdered her.''

Do we know anything about the stab wounds? What were the directions from inside the car and those inflicted from outside? It would be difficult for a right-handed attacker from the passenger seat which might explain why she was finished off from outside the car. Do we know anything about the type of weapon used?

Do we know anything about the stab wounds? What were the directions from inside the car and those inflicted from outside? It would be difficult for a right-handed attacker from the passenger seat which might explain why she was finished off from outside the car. Do we know anything about the type of weapon used?
rbbm
''It's believed that Penny was murdered around 10.30AM. She'd been seen motionless in the driver's seat of her car, parked in the leisure centre, at 11AM. Passersby had presumed she'd been sleeping. At 12.15AM, a member of the public alerted the police. They discovered Penny had been stabbed 50 times in the chest and arms, the latter presumably defensive wounds, with a three to four-inch blade. Forensics would later say the wounds indicated that Penny had initially been stabbed from the passenger's seat. Then from the driver's window.
At the time of the murder, the leisure centre car park would have been full, though Penny's car was parked in front of a high hedge that ran around the perimeter of the park, meaning the view from the front would have been obscured. The Jaguar was essentially soundproof. Nevertheless, the question as to how the killer – who would have been severely bloodstained by the attack – was able to leave the scene without being seen has perplexed anyone who has ever studied the case.''

1671043855793.png

rbbm
''It's believed that Penny was murdered around 10.30AM. She'd been seen motionless in the driver's seat of her car, parked in the leisure centre, at 11AM. Passersby had presumed she'd been sleeping. At 12.15AM, a member of the public alerted the police. They discovered Penny had been stabbed 50 times in the chest and arms, the latter presumably defensive wounds, with a three to four-inch blade. Forensics would later say the wounds indicated that Penny had initially been stabbed from the passenger's seat. Then from the driver's window.
At the time of the murder, the leisure centre car park would have been full, though Penny's car was parked in front of a high hedge that ran around the perimeter of the park, meaning the view from the front would have been obscured. The Jaguar was essentially soundproof. Nevertheless, the question as to how the killer – who would have been severely bloodstained by the attack – was able to leave the scene without being seen has perplexed anyone who has ever studied the case.''

View attachment 387509
That the Jaguar was 'soundproof' explains why no-one heard her scream but doesn't explain how the driver's side window was open. Was this opened by the killer after she was already dead so that he could penetrate her body with the knife more freely and take greater pleasure from it. Surely the stab pattern would be able to tell whether the killer was right or left handed.

There's only a 50 minute window between PB leaving the house and her murder. JR admitted meeting her that morning and his fingerprints were found in her car. He also claimed that he was having a secret affair with PB at the time. Was there really enough time for her to have met JR and her killer inside that timeline? Unless JR is the killer. He's the only person to be arrested in connection to the murder. My theory is that PB met JR that morning to make him leave her alone. The wallpaper samples laid out in the back could have been part of the initial conversation. But he wouldn't take no for the answer to his advances and killed her in a frenzied attack. I'm sure that the Police also thought this when they arrested him. Do we know if he is still alive?

I've looked at some of the youtube coverage again.

The Donal MacIntyre doc is specific that the perp was right handed which might explain that even though Penny was dead he got out and had a decisive go at her from the outside of the driver's door. It is difficult to both stab and fight right-handed (her defensive wounds suggest that she defended herself) from the passenger seat. He wanted to make sure she was dead and there is perhaps significance in the over use of the penetration of the blade (50+ stabs), which to me suggests a sexual/passion/frustration angle to the overkill.

Crimewatch said that an eye witness around the time of the murder saw in the leisure centre car park, a man walking away from the area in a dark suit with what looked to them like a birthmark on his face. That could have been blood on his face and would blood be obvious on a dark suit? I think that it would be extremely difficult to spot blood on a dark suit in passing.

To me the sighting of PB picking up in her Jaguar a shirt/tied man at Fulmer Common Road, shown as carrying a jacket in the Crimewatch reconstruction, is the killer. Was that JR or someone else? JR admitted meeting her that morning, perhaps to explain why only his fingerprints were found in her car. I don't doubt that he was a fantasist and may have fantasized the affair that he later claimed he was having with Penny. Perhaps the £8,500 was Penny paying him off to bugger off and he didn't accept the offer and lashed out. But then took the envelope anyway.

It's too personal a murder to entertain a random stalker or a psycho opportunist like Robert Napper. IMO

Last edited:
I've looked at some of the youtube coverage again.

The Donal MacIntyre doc is specific that the perp was right handed which might explain that even though Penny was dead he got out and had a decisive go at her from the outside of the driver's door. It is difficult to both stab and fight right-handed (her defensive wounds suggest that she defended herself) from the passenger seat. He wanted to make sure she was dead and there is perhaps significance in the over use of the penetration of the blade (50+ stabs), which to me suggests a sexual/passion/frustration angle to the overkill.

Crimewatch said that an eye witness around the time of the murder saw in the leisure centre car park, a man walking away from the area in a dark suit with what looked to them like a birthmark on his face. That could have been blood on his face and would blood be obvious on a dark suit? I think that it would be extremely difficult to spot blood on a dark suit in passing.

To me the sighting of PB picking up in her Jaguar a shirt/tied man at Fulmer Common Road, shown as carrying a jacket in the Crimewatch reconstruction, is the killer. Was that JR or someone else? JR admitted meeting her that morning, perhaps to explain why only his fingerprints were found in her car. I don't doubt that he was a fantasist and may have fantasized the affair that he later claimed he was having with Penny. Perhaps the £8,500 was Penny paying him off to bugger off and he didn't accept the offer and lashed out. But then took the envelope anyway.

It's too personal a murder to entertain a random stalker or a psycho opportunist like Robert Napper. IMO
Personally I've always wondered if there may have been an accomplice. He didn't just have to get out of the car park he also had to get back to his car (if it was the one a witness saw a man near and getting into Penny's car) without being seen. Several people seem to have seen Penny's car that morning. Given how distinctive her car was it is was extremely likely the sightings were Penny. Can't imagine there were many artic blue Jaguar XJS's in the area.

JR does seem to have been dismissed as a fantasist. He's known to have been in the car previously so his fingerprints being there weren't unusual. I've also read in a couple of places that the crime scene was not properly secured by the police and that any potential forensic evidence was compromised.

It's one of those cases where there seems to be no end of potential leads but nothing leads to anything of note.

Personally I've always wondered if there may have been an accomplice. He didn't just have to get out of the car park he also had to get back to his car (if it was the one a witness saw a man near and getting into Penny's car) without being seen. Several people seem to have seen Penny's car that morning. Given how distinctive her car was it is was extremely likely the sightings were Penny. Can't imagine there were many artic blue Jaguar XJS's in the area.

JR does seem to have been dismissed as a fantasist. He's known to have been in the car previously so his fingerprints being there weren't unusual. I've also read in a couple of places that the crime scene was not properly secured by the police and that any potential forensic evidence was compromised.

It's one of those cases where there seems to be no end of potential leads but nothing leads to anything of note.
When was JR 'known to have been in the car previously'? Strange that only PB and JR's fingerprints were found in the car. As far as I know, there were no unidentified fingerprints. No fingerprints of family or friends.

Have followed this case a lot in recent weeks.

I would say JR is the most likely culprit. He asked to meet her on Fulmer Common Road, where he had left his own car to discuss his "feelings" for her. She wanted to pay him off so he would be out of her life.

She took the wallpaper samples from home to make it look like a "home renovation meeting" she was going to (so no one at home would suspect).

JR was picked up by Penny and he suggested they drive somewhere else quieter.

While driving, Penny made it clear she wants nothing to do with him. He pulled the knife on her along the A40. She puts the hazards on, and tried to weave the car off the road, he grabs the wheel (A witness has seen this happening). This happens for about 10 minutes. JR suggests "lets just park somewhere private so we can talk about this".

They park at the leisure centre; She reiterates "no" - he stabs her - violently. He takes the money so there is nothing to link him there to the crime. The part I find tricky is how he then returns to Fulmer Common Road to get back in his car. There are sightings of a man in his boxers appearing "wet" and running over a footbridge wearing a chunky gold bracelet - was this JR? Did he get a taxi?

Once JR realises his DNA and fingerprints are in the car, he inserts himself through a fantasy story saying he did meet her that morning in her car, but someone else killed her. JR was their old neighbour from when they lived in Harrow - how could his fingerprints still be in the car unless he was in the car that morning. I think the police botched the evidence gathering at the crime scene, and so the CPS had to let him go.

Does anyone have a photo of JR?

This was a fascinating article with Penny's daughter, Lauren, who is very close to the investigation.

"though Lauren says she is convinced she knows who the killer is. "What I'm not sure of is why, although the way she was killed does make me think there was some passion there.""

To me, this leans to an individual known to the family.

I would say JR is the most likely culprit. He asked to meet her on Fulmer Common Road, where he had left his own car to discuss his "feelings" for her. She wanted to pay him off so he would be out of her life.

She took the wallpaper samples from home to make it look like a "home renovation meeting" she was going to (so no one at home would suspect).

While driving, Penny made it clear she wants nothing to do with him. He pulled the knife on her along the A40. She puts the hazards on, and tried to weave the car off the road, he grabs the wheel (A witness has seen this happening). This happens for about 10 minutes. JR suggests "lets just park somewhere private so we can talk about this".

They park at the leisure centre; She reiterates "no" - he stabs her - violently. He takes the money so there is nothing to link him there to the crime. The part I find tricky is how he then returns to Fulmer Common Road to get back in his car. There are sightings of a man in his boxers appearing "wet" and running over a footbridge wearing a chunky gold bracelet - was this JR? Did he get a taxi?

Once JR realises his DNA and fingerprints are in the car, he inserts himself through a fantasy story saying he did meet her that morning in her car, but someone else killed her. JR was their old neighbour from when they lived in Harrow - how could his fingerprints still be in the car unless he was in the car that morning. I think the police botched the evidence gathering at the crime scene, and so the CPS had to let him go.

That's pretty much how I see it. There's also the eyewitness who saw a man in a dark suit with a birth mark on his face (blood?) leaving the car park.

That's pretty much how I see it. There's also the eyewitness who saw a man in a dark suit with a birth mark on his face (blood?) leaving the car park.

Exactly yeah. I would imagine with defence wounds all over her arms, she would have clawed at his face heavily in pure desperation for survival. How on earth could the police not obtain blood and DNA from under her nails?

An image of John Richmond, from I'm not sure when, compared to the efit

Thanks for posting that clip. It supports my view of who killed PB and why. Thanks to a botched investigation by the Police, I don't think there will be justice in this case, sadly.

This was a fascinating article with Penny's daughter, Lauren, who is very close to the investigation.

"though Lauren says she is convinced she knows who the killer is. "What I'm not sure of is why, although the way she was killed does make me think there was some passion there.""

To me, this leans to an individual known to the family.
There is the possibility of it being a contract killing.

Exactly yeah. I would imagine with defence wounds all over her arms, she would have clawed at his face heavily in pure desperation for survival. How on earth could the police not obtain blood and DNA from under her nails?
Because all her long nails came off when defending herself and were in a container that the police then lost and many years later when they were found, they were contaminated so couldn't be used. According to her daughter other evidence from her car was also contaminated so also couldn't be used.

Because all her long nails came off when defending herself and were in a container that the police then lost and many years later when they were found, they were contaminated so couldn't be used. According to her daughter other evidence from her car was also contaminated so also couldn't be used.
This is a shame because modern forensics can solve very old cases if the exhibits and samples have been stored correctly.
Sadly I don’t think the police would find such a forensic examination even if the samples had not been contaminated.

This is a shame because modern forensics can solve very old cases if the exhibits and samples have been stored correctly.
Sadly I don’t think the police would find such a forensic examination even if the samples had not been contaminated.
I don't know how incredibly frustrating it must be for her family to have had the police mess things up so badly and had they not this thread may well not exist. Human error, people forget the police make mistakes just like everyone else, it's just the consequences can be so damaging due to the importance of their work.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back