UK UK - Preston, Lancs, WhtMale 35-50, stated "I want to go back to Warner Park", Aug'78

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Great pics btw. :D

...The gray suit just makes me think this was an older person and not sleeping rough. It's hard to explain, I think you get it.
I kinda agree with what you're saying, I do think that's what "grey" suit brings to mind.
It was only when looking at the photo of Simon the 'fashion styles':rolleyes: of the late 70's suddenly hit me (lol)
There was an awful lot of suits being worn generally day-to-day. :p

Get the feeling more and more that this was a person who lost tracks, either from a home or his own home....not able to take care of him self (some form of dementia, Korsakov comes to mind) and wondered off. Like Al Ka said. That his cloth was already infested by vermim is quite shocking. Seems more like a person who lost "contact" with the real world, doing his regular thing (put on nice clothes) because he is used to it...not concerned by or not able to "feel" the degeneration of it.

It's a petty we don't know the vermin (maybe it was just a regular policy to destroy clothing, just in case of) Maybe his clothes were infested with moths.

Last edited:
:mad: Trying to find ANYTHING in general regarding missing people in the U.K. is shocking!

Simon is the only possibility I could find also :confused: (sadly thou it not like there's much info. out there to compare)

He does look very similar??

Help us find Simon Armley

It seems like the missing page for Simon Armley is gone
This page has moved - Missing People

I also have a question. Does anybody know if there are historical weather data for Longton/Preston. This man was suffering from hypothermia when he was found. It was on August 28 in 1978. Is it already that cold around that time of year or could he have had other health problems?

I can't help thinking that him saying "I want to go back to Warner's Park" is of significance. Maybe it once was his "home", the place he lived in his youth f.i. or had a happy period in his life there. Or maybe he felt he was dying and wanted his body buried somewhere there. All just thoughts.

I also have a question. Does anybody know if there are historical weather data for Longton/Preston. This man was suffering from hypothermia when he was found. It was on August 28 in 1978. Is it already that cold around that time of year or could he have had other health problems?
I don't know about back in the 70s, but I lived just outside of Preston in the early 2010s and I know it can get pretty damn cold in August - I had to have a heated blanket on almost every night in autumn and winter. Probably something to do with the area being quite close to the coast.

mmh, thanks for pointing that out! I hadn't even noticed (I was looking at his DoeProject page). I wonder what that means...

The Doe Network is not always very accurate when it comes to European missing and unidentified persons. Many times I contacted a coordinator to inform them a UID had been identified or a missing person turned up. Maybe the info on this missing person didn't reach them yet.

I was gonna say maybe he said something along the lines of "Warmer" and it got misheard as "Warner". But then I realized this guy died of hypothermia in August??? Some typo afoot here?

I was gonna say maybe he said something along the lines of "Warmer" and it got misheard as "Warner". But then I realized this guy died of hypothermia in August??? Some typo afoot here?

I questioned the same. I don't think it's a typo (August) @PropaneYeeter answered my question up-thread, see #50. I have no reason to doubt that. I still would love to see historical weather data of that particular day, though.

Where are my manners; welcome to new "joiners".

Last edited:
The weather forecast for 28 August 1978 in the North West:

Mainly dry, sunny intervals; wind NW, light to moderate; max temp 15 - 17 deg C.

0FFO-1978-AUG28-002

0FFO-1978-AUG28-002

https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/CS35226396/TTDA?u=leedscl&sid=bookmark-TTDA&xid=a03596d2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back