GUILTY UK - Robert Trigg and the deaths of sleeping women

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm getting the google results now. It must have been too soon for the googlebots to pick it up when I searched yesterday.

So about an hour on the Defence closing and now summing up already - very fast.

Wondering if there will be a verdict later today ? hope not, hope the Jury take more time, but sadly am thinking there may be

I can't call this result but I've a feeling the evidence has been slightly better than we realise, and the jury could be unhappy that he wouldn't answer any questions. I think the discrepancies in his versions at the inquest may swing it.

Maybe that grin has been wiped off his face now

cZBCjqFX

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

I'm sure this is the right verdict. I hope they publish the sentencing remarks which may fill in the gaps a bit.

I really didn't like some of the Defence QC's closing speech yesterday. That would have rubbed me up the wrong way if I was on the jury.

Another of his partners, Susan Holland, died in February this year, Lewes Crown Court heard.

Trigg had been cautioned for assaulting her in 2003 after he accused her of an affair and called the police, saying: “I’m going to kill her. You need to arrest me.”

Yesterday Ms Howes said: “She too was found dead in her home. There still needed to be a post mortem to establish her death. It was natural causes.

“I don’t mean to make light of this but I expect Robert Trigg was rather grateful he was in custody at the time.”

As she summed up the defence case, Ms Howes asked jurors when reaching their verdict to question the reliability of witness evidence and consider if Trigg’s actions after the deaths could be explained by the effects of shock.

She suggested an account from neighbour Hannah Cooper – who told the court Ms Nicholson and Trigg had a “volatile and violent” relationship with alcohol-fuelled rows and numerous calls to police - had been “embellished” for reasons “probably understandable”, adding: “That is the danger of well-meaning neighbours who are now aware there are two allegations rather than one.”

She said she did not seek to “minimise or trivialise” abusive behaviour but it related to a small number of incidents over a “lengthy period of time”, claiming police had done their “very best” to “dig up” any bad character references.

She asked: “Does that really show a man who is a possessive, dangerous predator to women?”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15390046.Third_partner_of_accused_died/

She [defence QC] said: “We should all be grateful we live in a country where the burden of proof is on the prosecution.”

She pointed out Trigg answered police questions at the time of the two deaths, and gave evidence at the inquest into the death of Miss Nicholson.

The defence added: “The causes of death are quite different and we are not dealing with a pattern of killing where the killer left a hallmark.”

The jury was told former chef Trigg had a history of violence against previous partners in a bad character application.

Referring to the application, the defence said: “Does that really show a man who is a jealous, controlling, possessive, dangerous man predatory to women, who when he doesn’t get what he wants turns to punching?

“Or does this signal to the background of alcohol abuse? “Where is the evidence of jealous, controlling and possessive behaviour?

Or is it a more evidence of a drunken slob?” She said examples of bad character were ‘a small amount of incidents over a lengthy period of time’.

In her closing statement she said: “The sudden and unexpected death of Caroline Devlin and Susan Nicholson was tragic for them and terrible for the families.

“But nothing will bring them back. It is time to draw the line and put these matters to rest.”

Read more at: http://www.wscountytimes.co.uk/news...two-girlfriends-awaits-jury-verdict-1-8040029

Yeah - just saw this on my twitter feed and dashed to my pc to post !

Well done the Jury - brilliant stuff. Bet he wishes he'd got on the stand and told a sob story now

Fantastic - Justice, finally - for Caroline and Susan

I'm sure this is the right verdict. I hope they publish the sentencing remarks which may fill in the gaps a bit.

I really didn't like some of the Defence QC's closing speech yesterday. That would have rubbed me up the wrong way if I was on the jury.

What a horrible summing up - few incidents over a long period of time !! one is one too many.

And the bit about nothing will bring them back so let's draw a line under it ?? I think she may need a bit of schooling in court room speak.

And Triggs actions, after the murders, are down to shock...whereas the neighbour's evidence is embellished.

Overall, I dont think Ms Howes did him any favours.
I also wonder if she wishes now that she had put up some witnesses ( even if not Trigg himself ). It almost looked like arrogance that they decided not to produce a single person for the Defence.

Just seen this, I'm delighted that he has been brought to justice.

Just caught up. I am relieved, I am sure it is the correct verdict. Thoughts with Susan Nicholson's parents for fighting for justice.

We heard very little during the trial unfortunately and the evidence that was reported left me feeling the jury might have some doubts - though lots of circumstantial evidence I thought. Bet he wished he'd gone on the stand now.

His past has finally caught up with him.

Miss Nicholson's parents Peter and Elizabeth Skelton today slammed Sussex Police for failing to properly investigate their daughter's death.

Mr Skelton, who has refused to rule out civil action, said: 'They should have done more. It wasn't up to standard... my wife had a mild heart attack.

'Their first investigation wasn't very good, that's why we had to get a barrister and path to back up our case because they would not listen to us.

'We told them the facts, but the police still wouldn't listen. But in the end they had to listen.'

Mr Skelton even brought in his own lawyer, investigator and pathologist who discovered disturbing similarities between the two deaths.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...TY-killing-two-girlfriends.html#ixzz4m0C4uL1p
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Also at link is the 999 call from when SN died. You can hear Trigg in the background. Sounds very calm and collected to me.

Not looking so happy now

robert trigg.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper