UK UK - Sheila Le Grys, 25, North Walsham, Norfolk, 7 Dec 1963

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder what happened to the 3 children when he and 2nd wife went to Nigeria? Seemed a rather dangerous place then (and now), so were the children left at home or in boarding schools? Only curiosity about the family dynamics.

I no longer have an Ancestry account, but can anyone see the details of the other Frederick W B and Sheila White on the page you linked please? Another coincidence there with names, Frederick and Sheila, was that 2nd wife or am I off on a tangent here?
I'll try and find it on other records meanwhile. TIA.

Psst....Familysearch.org is a very acceptable FREE alternative to those rip off genealogy sites....with a little legwork this site does all of the same things as ancestry/findmypast ect.

So just to ensure i am looking at the correct people....

We have 3 marriages for Mr LeGrys
It is wife number 1 who has vanished

Hope im reading this right

SHEILA M SENIOR - LEGRYS FARM COTTAGE, WACTON, NORWICH NR152UR

Spooky coincidence you reckon?? (Note the address)

According to "fredsgranddaughter" on a forum

Sheila ran away with a co-pilot!

@wtiger please provide links for the information you find, and also please note that we cannot copy information from other forums over here. Thanks!

Wtiger, welcome to this thread and Websleuths in general. One rule of WS is that you always must provide link to anything you quote from somewhere else or bring new information from. This is for various reasons - to verify where information came from, when it was posted in original source etc

Another thing I would recommend, when coming to new thread and want to post always read from page 1 so you do not repeat information already found.

Thank you for new information that Fred was in Lagos in early 70s, that is new. (but yes, link to that is needed too)

This makes me think of children again. Article from 1964 states that children where looked after at their home but by married couple Fred hired.

In around 72 Fred was in Lagos. In 78 he was in Nigeria. Even though many pilots were stationed all over world and traveled offten to different places on short notices, many worked on shifts. Few weeks work, few weeks off. It of course it differs between different places.

Who was taking care of children in meanwhile? Who did they grew up with? Family or some unknown married couple? Not trying to speculate about it, just curious.

Christmas card was sent from Coventry with date stamp of 28 December. Coventry shows as about 4 hours drive away from their North Walsham home. Air time would be much shorter time wise.

They lived in North Walsham as he was stationed nearby (as per found Mirror article) at Coltishall RAF base. And also it did appeared that Sheila indeed did not work as she was often talking about getting a job. So yes, she was probably housewife at the time with small children as I thought.

There are still quite a few things to find out:

- more about their past, life together, his movements over the years etc
- Any documents how he married again in 73 as his first wife was still missing (documents, declaration of her death if it exists prior to 73 etc). Now to think of it, he married 2nd time shortly after being stationed in Lagos. So, also to find anything about 2nd Sheila, 2nd wife - about her death/murder in Nigeria, any documents, where she worked, where she was from etc etc

I think it is clear we are looking for remains. How and where would pilot dispose of body...?

That was my first thought, but no, helicopter pilots always fly minimum crew of 2 people. There must be some other option.

I have checked UK database for unidentified already, but they are listing remains only from 1966. Of course, she could have been found years later or not found yet at all.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thinking about the Christmas card... if it was her handwriting, is it possible she wrote it before she disappeared? It was December 7th, and some people like to have all these things in order early on. My grandmother, who was roughly the same age as Sheila, always sent out her cards early December. Perhaps the husband (or someone else who made her disappear) found the card amongst her things and sent it to make it look like she was still alive. So the card being her handwriting wouldn't exclude the possibility of foul play.

Well I need some help here please :rolleyes: Searching BNA again and there is/are more in the Daily Mirror on Monday 27th January 1964.
As mentioned earlier by OP 3 views are free and I have used mine up :( Be great if some of you brilliant people could copy over the article please, it does mention his 'other women friends'

Results for 'frederick le grys' | Between 27th Jan 1964 and 27th Jan 1964 | Daily Mirror | Publication | London, England | Location | British Newspaper Archive

Daily Mirror

Frederick le Grys. a ho has told the police that his ;site. Sheila - Monday 27 January 1964 - Daily Mirror" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(14, 122, 132);">BIG STOW-, By BARRY STANLEY PARENTS at an exclusive private THE NEW school will keep their children away ..
... riddle' ALAN GORDON HELICOPTER pilot Frederick le Grys. a ho has told the police that his ;site. Sheila. is miss- ink, said yesterday: hope she will come forward at once to stop her mother worrying bout her. Mrs. leGrys. 26-year-old mother ...

Published: Monday 27 January 1964
Newspaper: Daily Mirror
County: London, England
Type: Illustrated | Words: 529 | Page: 5 | Tags: none

le Grys. 31. said yesterday: As far as I am concerned there is no mystery a bout Sheila. She walked out after - Monday 27 January 1964 - Daily Mirror" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(14, 122, 132);">Women
... Women Flight - Sergeant le Grys. 31. said yesterday: As far as I am concerned there is no mystery a bout Sheila. She walked out after a row. I want this business cleared up. lie said he and his wife had had disagreements about money. housing. and ...

Published: Monday 27 January 1964
Newspaper: Daily Mirror
County: London, England

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member