UK UK - Shelley Morgan, 34, stabbed, (Former Iowan), Bristol, 11 June 1984

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score

Loving mum stabbed 14 times after waving children off to school
"The 34-year-old's naked skeleton was found with just a pair of torn and twisted tights around her ankle bones. A pair of sandals was found discarded in brambles nearby.

Dental records confirmed it was Shelley's body a post-mortem revealed she had been stabbed in the back 14 times.

But more than 30 years later the mother's abduction and murder remains a mystery with police no nearer to finding the culprit."

"On the morning of her disappearance, June 11, 1984, American-born Shelley told her children Liam and Charlotte she was going to take some pictures of the Avon Gorge.

Her husband Nigel, then 33, had been away at the couple's second home, a cottage in the Brecon Beacons, and so police were alerted as soon as she failed to pick up the children from school.

It was totally out of character for Shelley, who was born in Iowa and moved to the UK in 1972, and baffled those nearest to her."

"When Shelley was last seen by her young children she was carrying a distinctive multi-coloured carpet bag containing a camera tripod.

Detectives believed after she left the family home in Dunkerry Road and dropped the children off before catching a local bus from Bedminster's East Street."
"What happened to her Olympus OM20 camera she had also remains a mystery.

* Anyone with information about the murder of Shelley Morgan can contact Detective Sergeant Pete Frake in the Major Crime Review Team on 101"

Shelley Morgan

Date of birth: 1949 or 1950

Height: Unknown

Weight: Unknown

Marital status: Married with two children

Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair, blue eyes. Glasses.

Case Edit
Details: Shelley Morgan was an American artist who was born and raised in Iowa, but emigrated to Britain in 1972. She, her husband Nigel, and their children Liam and Charlotte lived in Dunkerry Road in Windmill Hill, Wiltshire. On the morning of June 11, 1984, Shelley took Liam and Charlotte to the school bus stop. With her camera and tripod in a distinctive carpet bag, she told them that she planned to spend the day taking photographs at Avon Gorge. Police were notified that same afternoon when she failed to collect the children from school. It was soon discovered that she had taken a bus from East Street to Bristol bus station on the morning she vanished, and police believed that she then boarded the .359 bus to Portishead. That September, an anonymous caller told police that Shelley's body would be found in a "watery grave" and named a specific location, but searches turned up nothing. On October 14, children playing in the North Somerset village of Backwell came upon the decaying body of the thirty-four-year-old mother in Long Lane. She had been stabbed fourteen times in the back and was clad only in tights and sandals. Her prized Olympus OM20 camera, bag and tripod were missing and have never been located.

Suspects: None.

Extra Notes: This case aired on November 6, 1984, the show's fifth episode.

Results: Unsolved.

Since women's clothing was found, wondering if Shelley's camera was there too or if it might have been pawned?
EXCLUSIVE: Killer taxi driver linked to murder of three more young women
By Andy Gardner / Published 10th August 2014 rbbm.
Chris-Halliwell-serial-killer-taxi-driver-393510.jpg
EVIL: Serial killer Halliwell could be linked to another three murders of young women [REX]
"Taxi driver Halliwell, 55, from Swindon, is serving life for killing clubber Sian O'Callaghan, 22, and Becky Godden-Edwards, 25.

Retired police officer Chris Clark says he has unearthed new evidence linking Halliwell to three unsolved killings.

These include the case of Finnish Nurse Eila Karjalainen, 23, whose decomposed remains were found in 1983."
The second is American mother-of-two Shelley Morgan, 34, who disappeared in June 1984.

Her naked body was found the following October in a shallow grave in a remote copse in Backwell, near Bristol.

Number three is the 1994 abduction and murder of 13 year old Lindsay Jo Rimer, who was dumped in the Rochdale Canal.

Mr Clark, 67, a former intelligence officer, said the unsolved killings bore hallmarks of Halliwell.

He said: "I believe the murders of Eila and Shelley had to have been committed by someone with knowledge of beauty spots of the West Country."
"I believe there is circumstantial evidence to link him to these murders."

"The divorced father of three had access to 80 taxi cabs and would drive fares across the UK.

He was also a huge canal boat fan - and would often travel to use the North of England canal system."
In June, police found boots belonging to Sian and a hoard of women's clothing.

They were discovered around an 8ft deep pond in woodland in Ramsbury, Wiltshire."

"Cold case detectives investigating the murder of a woman who vanished 35 years ago have released two old postcards of beauty spots connected to the case that they hope may finally help bring the killer to justice...

The major crime review team recently came upon two postcards they believe may have a significant bearing on the investigation. The tear-off postcards are from a calendar sold by a Bristol hospice charity in the 1980s or 1990s. One shows a view of the river Avon from near the woods where Morgan had been heading; the second is the view of a church from Backwell Hill.

Avon and Somerset police say they cannot spell out how they got hold of the postcards or how they may fit in with the investigation. DS Sarah Barnston of the major crime review team said: “Both locations are significant as they are linked to the areas where Shelley was heading for on the day she disappeared, and where her body was found five months later.” Police would like to speak to anyone who knows anything about the postcards.

Barnston added: “She left home that day intending to photograph and sketch in the Leigh Woods area, so it’s possible her work and the locations she was visiting that day hold the key to her killer’s identity."

Cold case police release postcards in bid to find Bristol woman's killer

"Cold case detectives investigating the murder of a woman who vanished 35 years ago have released two old postcards of beauty spots connected to the case that they hope may finally help bring the killer to justice...

The major crime review team recently came upon two postcards they believe may have a significant bearing on the investigation. The tear-off postcards are from a calendar sold by a Bristol hospice charity in the 1980s or 1990s. One shows a view of the river Avon from near the woods where Morgan had been heading; the second is the view of a church from Backwell Hill.

Avon and Somerset police say they cannot spell out how they got hold of the postcards or how they may fit in with the investigation. DS Sarah Barnston of the major crime review team said: “Both locations are significant as they are linked to the areas where Shelley was heading for on the day she disappeared, and where her body was found five months later.” Police would like to speak to anyone who knows anything about the postcards.

Barnston added: “She left home that day intending to photograph and sketch in the Leigh Woods area, so it’s possible her work and the locations she was visiting that day hold the key to her killer’s identity."

Very intriguing!
"Detectives say they cannot spell out how objects may be related to murder 35 years ago"

Two postcards from Bower Ashton (top) and Backwell (bottom) that police believe may be connected to the 1984 murder of Shelley Morgan. Photograph: Avon & Somerset Police/PA Wire

rbbm.
June 11 2019
Breakthrough in Shelley Morgan murder investigation after 35 years
"The tear-off postcards are from a calendar sold by the local Bristol Hospice charity in the 1980s or 1990s."

"Police would like to hear from anyone who may have bought the calendar or who kept the tear-off postcards with those images."

"Detective Sergeant Sarah Barnston said it was possible that Mrs Morgan's work and the locations she was visiting on the day she disappeared "hold the key to her killer's identity".

"We remain of the belief that her killer must have had access to a vehicle and may have had links through work or other associations to Backwell and possibly the Leigh Woods or Clifton areas of Bristol."

"The camera, a 35mm Olympus OM20 camera with serial number 1032853, is still popular with collectors and photography students, Det Sgt Barnston said."

Avon & Somerset Police Appeal:
We’re releasing new information relating to the murder of Shelley Morgan who disappeared exactly 35 years ago today.

33-year-old Shelley, who was born in America, left her home in Dunkerry Road, Bristol, at about 8.30am on Monday 11 June 1984 and dropped her two children off at school, before heading towards Leigh Woods near Ashton Court, where she planned to spend the day sketching and taking photographs.

When she failed to pick her children up or return home, the police were called and a missing person inquiry was launched.

Tragically, on Sunday 14 October 1984, children playing in a wooded copse off Long Lane in Backwell Hill discovered Shelley’s remains. A forensic post-mortem examination confirmed she’d suffered multiple stab wounds and there was evidence the brutal attack had been sexually motivated.

Today, we’re releasing new information relating to the investigation into Shelley’s death, which is being led by the Major Crime Review Team (MCRT).

Specifically, we’re releasing images of two postcards which may have a significant bearing on our investigation.

Postcard-Bower-Ashton-300x225.jpg

A postcard of Clifton Terraces from Bower Ashton.
Postcard-Backwell-300x225.jpg

A postcard of St Andrew’s Church in Backwell
The tear-off postcards are from a calendar sold by the local Bristol Hospice charity in the 1980s or 1990s. One is of a scene overlooking the River Avon in Bristol, taken from Bower Ashton – just below the Clifton Suspension Bridge, while the other is of St Andrew’s Church, from the direction of Backwell Hill. Both locations are significant as they are linked to the areas where Shelley was heading for on the day she disappeared, and where her body was found five months later.

We’d like to speak to anyone who may have bought this calendar or who kept the tear-off postcards with these specific images, possibly for some time.

DS Sarah Barnston, of the MCRT, said: “Shelley was passionately interested in art and the theatre and was attending art classes at the Bristol Polytechnic Art College. She left home that day intending to photograph and sketch in the Leigh Woods area so it’s possible her work and the locations she was visiting that day hold the key to her killer’s identity. We remain of the belief that her killer must have had access to a vehicle and may have had links through work or other associations to Backwell and possibly the Leigh Woods or Clifton areas of Bristol.

“In addition, Shelley’s camera equipment has never been found, particularly an Olympus OM20 camera, which cost £130 at the time. This camera is still popular with collectors and photography students now. The missing 35mm camera will have the serial number 1032853 on it.

Olympus-OM20-copyright-free.jpg-300x223.jpg

S_Number-Olympus-OM20-copyright-free-300x225.jpg

An Olympus OM20
Have you seen this camera? Do you own a camera matching this description and with the serial number 1032853?

“Shelley was carrying the camera, along with a tripod and sketching materials in a large patchwork-style shoulder bag. This bag has never been found, nor has the clothing she was wearing, including red-framed glasses.

“Although there were numerous sightings of Shelley on the day she went missing, in both the Bristol and Backwell areas, none have been confirmed.

“Our latest re-investigation has identified new material of interest which may have forensic potential, utilising the latest scientific techniques. We’re keeping Shelley’s family updated on any progress. Her sister recently flew over from the USA to meet some of our team and we’re as committed as ever to solving Shelley’s murder and bringing the person or people responsible to justice.

“It’s impossible to imagine the pain and anguish Shelley’s family have felt over the years and understand the impact her murder has had on her two children, who’ve been left without a mother for the majority of their lives.

“I would urge anyone with information, no matter how small, to come forward. Loyalties and relationships change over time and there may be someone who didn’t feel able to speak to us at the time, but who may be in a position to do so now.”

New details released following murder of Shelley Morgan in 1984 - Avon and Somerset Police

Video appeal from Shelley's sister:

Shelley's sister has also done a victim impact statement from Shelley's perspective (not sure I've seen this before):
The victim impact statement reads:

“My name is Shelley Cameron Brian Morgan. I was born in 1951 in a small Midwestern college town in the United States. My father was an art teacher, so he and my mother were pleased to discover that their first-born child was somewhat gifted. I learned to talk at an early age – and kept on talking! I was curious about the world and determined to explore. I loved books and music and did well at school. But most of all, I was good at making things with my hands – drawing and sculpting and, as I got older and learned to sew, making all kinds of creations out of fabrics and fibers – elaborate stuffed dolls and animals, as well as designing and making my own clothes.

“When I was 17, I was accepted into the American Field Service foreign student exchange program, and spent that summer living with a family in Japan. It was my first visit to another country and it gave me a yearning to see the world.

“In high school, I was given the opportunity to design and sew costumes for my school’s theater department. I enjoyed it so much that I decided to pursue a career as a costume designer, and went to college to get a degree in theater arts. After my second year at the University, I was offered a summer internship at an opera house in Rome, which I was delighted to accept. After the internship was over, I started looking around for employment in Europe. I had always wanted to live in England, and when I was offered a job as wardrobe manager for the Liverpool Playhouse, I took it and didn’t return to the U.S.

“How I loved to work! The theater very much suited my character: the challenge of making order out of chaos, having deadlines pile up and meeting them, feeling the excitement of bringing a project together; I loved the creative, energetic people I got to know, and the satisfaction of being part of a team. But the fast pace started to take its toll on my health and wear me down. After a couple of years at the Playhouse, I met my husband, we married and had a son, and we went to live in a small village in his native South Wales, where I devoted my time to being a wife and mother.

“How I loved my family! Our son was followed by a daughter, and we had many friends in the small Welsh community. But sadly, as time went on it became clear that our son had some kind of developmental disability and he was diagnosed as autistic. In order for him to thrive, he would need education and therapy that was not available in the country. So we decided to relocate to Bristol.

Shelley-Morgan-website-300x171.jpg

Shelley Morgan
“After we moved, I started to think about returning to work as a designer. I wanted to finish my arts degree to expand my employment opportunities. To that end, I started building a portfolio of drawings and photographs to aid in applying to the University.

“It was a fine June day in 1984. My husband was away at our old house in the village, doing some work to prepare it for sale. I had a respite that morning while my children were in school, and decided to take advantage of the time to photograph some scenic spots I had seen. Carrying my camera and sketch book, I bussed around the river area, taking pictures and enjoying myself. But then the day wore on, and my children were due home; I realized I was running late and might not be there in time to meet them. I hurried to the nearest bus stop; then you came along, and my world stopped.

“I begged you to let me go, I just wanted to get back to my children, I wanted to be there when they got home from school, but you wouldn’t let me. Then came disgust, and terror, and unimaginable pain. You left my broken body in the woods, to be bothered by animals and the weather; but by that time it didn’t matter, because I was no longer there.

“I was no longer there. I wasn’t there when my children came home from school that day and didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t there when my husband rushed to our house in Bristol, full of grief and dread. I wasn’t there when my desperate parents travelled to England to try to find me. I wasn’t there when my friends were subjected to a police investigation. I wasn’t there when, a month after my death was confirmed, my sister had her first baby, a daughter, brought into a world that didn’t seem in any way right for daughters. I wasn’t there when my husband took our children back to Wales to raise alone (he never remarried.) I wasn’t there to see that my son got the special care he needed. I wasn’t there for her when my daughter was struggling in school. I wasn’t there when my father’s health declined and he finally died. I wasn’t there when my daughter married. I never got to meet or hug my beautiful grandchildren. I wasn’t there when my husband died of cancer, at home, with my daughter taking care of him until the end. I never got to finish school and go back to work, or see the wonderful designs I imagined become reality.

“It’s been 35 years of silence and the life I didn’t get to live.

“Yet I am grateful to God for my beautiful life, short though it may have been. God bless my family and keep us all safe from harm.”

It’s been 35 years of silence and the life I didn’t get to live - Avon and Somerset Police

Tweets:

Avon&Somerset Police‏Verified account @ASPolice

Officers investigating the murder of 33-yr-old Shelley Morgan in 1984 have released new information exactly 35 years after she disappeared in #Bristol - shortly after dropping her two children off at school. Our full appeal is here: https://bit.ly/2WCuXQQ

D8xCeTfXsAYeLCQ.jpg

Avon&Somerset Police on Twitter

Two tear-off postcards from a Bristol hospice charity calendar may have a significant bearing on this case. They're of Clifton in #Bristol and St Andrew's Church in Backwell - did you buy this calendar or who know someone who kept these specific postcards, possibly for some time?

D8xDa8TXUAEb_vS.jpg

D8xDdlgWwAAakbt.jpg

Shelley’s camera equipment has never been found, particularly an Olympus OM20 camera. This camera is still popular with collectors and photography students. The 35mm camera will have the serial number 1032853 on it. Have you seen it? https://bit.ly/2WCuXQQ

D8xExczW4AEkp7g.jpg

D8xEzOAWwAAf8q9.jpg

Avon & Somerset Police Appeal:

Video appeal from Shelley's sister:

Shelley's sister has also done a victim impact statement from Shelley's perspective (not sure I've seen this before):
The letter written in the voice of Shelley, is beautifully written and so moving, who could destroy such a lovely and talented woman?

I find it odd that the police say that the calendar was sold in the 1980s or 1990s - a two-decade timespan. Why don't they know which year?
Thanks for pointing that part out, had somehow skipped over that detail.
Especially intriguing is the 90's part considering SM was murdered in the 80's.
At first i thought that the perp gave Shelley the postcards in support of the artwork she planned to undertake at those locations, perhaps leaving traces of dna, but now wondering what can it all mean??

Thanks for pointing that part out, had somehow skipped over that detail.
Especially intriguing is the 90's part considering SM was murdered in the 80's.
At first i thought that the perp gave Shelley the postcards in support of the artwork she planned to undertake at those locations, perhaps leaving traces of dna, but now wondering what can it all mean??
This is far fetched, but I'm thinking they could be undeveloped pics from the roll in the camera. I don't know why the police would suspect that though.

It seems likely that the two postcards came into the possession of the police as a pair and they need to find the previous owner. What is intriguing is why they think the postcards have any significance and why they don't know their provenance. I speculate that they have something written on their backs (they are postcards, after all) that indicates that the former owner/writer is somehow linked to or has an interest in the murder.

They could simply have been mailed anonymously to the police; an alternative guess is that the cards were innocently and anonymously given to (say) a charity shop; maybe tucked into a book or in photo frames so that the writing on the backs wasn't visible and was only seen when someone dismantled them.

Why the police won't say how they got them is odd - I can see no reason why, if one of the suggestions above is correct, there is the reluctance to publicise that information. In fact, that additional information may help to locate the original owner.

Would there be any reason to think that someone SM may have known back in Iowa who would have followed her to the UK, or perhaps someone she knew from the US was already in Bristol, perhaps as a student? imo, speculation.

I found out about this case a few months ago. I live only a few miles from Backwell, and my mum, aunt and grandparents were living in Backwell at the time of the murder, as was my best friend's mother, yet none could recall hearing about it? I haven't seen nor heard anything about this in the local area at all. Could it be that the police just aren't as invested in finding her killer as they should be?

I found out about this case a few months ago. I live only a few miles from Backwell, and my mum, aunt and grandparents were living in Backwell at the time of the murder, as was my best friend's mother, yet none could recall hearing about it? I haven't seen nor heard anything about this in the local area at all. Could it be that the police just aren't as invested in finding her killer as they should be?
Welcome to Ws Emmy Mae, thanks for chiming in!
Wondering if any of your family members recall anything about the mysterious "tear-off calendar postcards"?
''Cold case police release postcards in bid to find Bristol woman's killer

Detectives say they cannot spell out how objects may be related to murder 35 years ago
Two postcards from Bower Ashton (top) and Backwell (bottom) that police believe may be connected to the 1984 murder of Shelley Morgan. Photograph: Avon & Somerset Police/PA Wire
''Cold case detectives investigating the murder of a woman who vanished 35 years ago have released two old postcards of beauty spots connected to the case that they hope may finally help bring the killer to justice.

Shelley Morgan, 33, disappeared on 11 June 1984 after dropping off her two children at school in Bristol and heading towards Leigh Woods on the outskirts of the city to sketch and take photographs.

Children playing in a wooded copse in Backwell Hill, nine miles from Leigh Woods, found her remains in October 1984. She had suffered multiple stab wounds and there was evidence that the attack was sexually motivated.

The major crime review team recently came upon two postcards they believe may have a significant bearing on the investigation. The tear-off postcards are from a calendar sold by a Bristol hospice charity in the 1980s or 1990s. One shows a view of the river Avon from near the woods where Morgan had been heading; the second is the view of a church from Backwell Hill.''

Last edited:
Strangely this caption is underneath one of the images but it's not stated in the accompanying article published today -

"The tear-off postcards are from a calendar sold by the local Bristol Hospice charity in the 1980s or 1990s. Avon and Somerset Police believe Shelley may have taken these pictures"

Both are linked to the areas where Shelley was heading for on the day she disappeared and where her body was found five months later.

Police were keen to speak to anyone who may have bought this calendar or who kept the tear-off postcards with these specific images, possibly for some time.

Missing Olympus camera may hold key to solving murder of mother-of-two, 33, in 1984 | Daily Mail Online

So, what, are they thinking if Shelley took those photos that whoever ended up with the camera later allowed them to be used for the calendar? I just don't understand how having the original calendar will help, unless they hoping the contributor will be credited on it. Maybe?

Honestly, I think so much time has passed now that the police might as well 'fess up to what they know/suspect. It's all very enigmatic.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back