Deceased/Not Found UK - Steven Clark, 23, disabled, Saltburn, Dec 1992

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My guess is the police believe the circumstances around him going missing were made up and he was already dead.

It is very strange, bloke goes into a toilet and is never seen coming back out or alive again?

Trying to think of a similar case, Brian Shaffer?

Why would you just go home without your son? Especially given his disabilities/difficulties. You'd be frantic with worry, you'd charge in or get another male to go and have a look inside. It's such an odd reaction to display.

I can't look to a kidnapping from the toilets either, i've visited the pier quite often and its too much of a risk for someone to see you. You couldn't not be seen.

No, I think Steven Clark had already come to harm before this point.

I don't understa
Why would you just go home without your son? Especially given his disabilities/difficulties. You'd be frantic with worry, you'd charge in or get another male to go and have a look inside. It's such an odd reaction to display.

I can't look to a kidnapping from the toilets either, i've visited the pier quite often and its too much of a risk for someone to see you. You couldn't not be seen.

No, I think Steven Clark had already come to harm before this point.

Yes, I agree, I don't know why you would go home. It doesn't make sense IMO

My guess is the police believe the circumstances around him going missing were made up and he was already dead.

It is very strange, bloke goes into a toilet and is never seen coming back out or alive again?

Trying to think of a similar case, Brian Shaffer?

I agree. Missing from a public toilet? Seems unlikely. I think the whole story is made up.

Before I even saw the pic - in link above - I had in mind this kind of toilet set up on the Promenade.

Now,having seen the pic, I do find it strange that - if two people are using the toilets - that one would just come out and walk away and not wait for the other person.
Did Mrs Clark ask the next male going into the toilets to check if Steve was there ? did she look around the area at all - the Promenade seems quite open, as is the road to the side that goes up the hill.
Quite easy, I would have thought, to see someone even if they were a distance away.

all just MOO and could be much that is not being reported as to what exactly happened that afternoon.

I wonder if this is the building. Google does not have images from the situation in 1992!

From today's report in the DM:

33249064-8738705-Doris_Clark_pictured_in_1998_on_Saltburn_beach_the_last_place_he-a-25_1600251000980.jpg

Doris Clark pictured in 1998 outside the toilets on Saltburn beach, the last place her son Steven was seen

Elderly parents of 23-year-old who disappeared in 1992 to police station | Daily Mail Online

IMHO this is a different location and not the one of the current public toilets. Seems to me this building no longer exists.

If his disability was pronounced enough that he was receiving specialized training, I just can't wrap my head around his mother just going home, at least a 48 minute walk, and putting on the kettle and just waiting for him to turn up. That makes no sense. She didn't even poke her head around the door?

If something happened in the toilet building, surely she would have heard?

I'm also curious about a possible settlement from the road accident that injured him. I'd like to know exactly what disabilities he had, as well. What level of care did he need? Was there respite care available? Just physical issues or mental as well?

MOO, but I don't think they were at the Prom that day. At least Steven wasn't.

Have his parents continued living in the same house, I wonder?

I would love to know this too. I am also curious what made the detectives not only open this case after all this time but also follow it up with an arrest on suspicion of murder, which surely aren't thrown around lightly. :eek:

I thought that due to the bizarre nature of the 'story' that this one would have no chance of progression, especially after 28 years to boot.

I was out with my partner on Monday night in the neighboring town of Redcar, which shares the same coastline. There was increased activity along the beach due a report of something 'resembling a person' sighted in the water. The coastguard rescue helicopter was scanning well along the shoreline and even when we moved much further down the coastguard again followed us up our way.

I never found out the results of said search, not that i'm implying the connection with this case for a body potentially being exposed to water for 28 years (although I wonder what would remain in that scenario?)

It just makes me wonder, how many lost secrets and answers does the sea hold?

Last edited:
I would love to know this too. I am also curious what made the detectives not only open this case after all this time but also follow it up with an arrest on suspicion of murder, which surely aren't thrown around lightly. :eek:

I thought that due to the bizarre nature of the 'story' that this one would have no chance of progression, especially after 28 years to boot.

I was out with my partner on Monday night in the neighboring town of Redcar, which shares the same coastline. There was increased activity along the beach due a report of something 'resembling a person' sighted in the water. The coastguard rescue helicopter was scanning well along the shoreline and even when we moved much further down the coastguard again followed us up our way.

I never found out the results of said search, not that i'm implying the connection with this case for a body potentially being exposed to water for 28 years (although I wonder what would remain in that scenario?)

It just makes me wonder, how many lost secrets and answers does the sea hold?
I thought there was another child, a daughter? Maybe I'm wrong about that, I'll have to go back and check. So moo for now.

Steven Clark: Two arrested for murder of Marske man missing since 1992

View attachment 263763
_114383796_6347f093-c7d1-46dc-895e-454e425603d0.jpg
_114380417_084a2968-f89b-4616-b7c6-994ab289a013.jpg

Steven Clark, who was 23 when he disappeared, was last seen using the toilets near Saltburn pier on 28 December 1992.

Detectives believe Mr Clark, who was left disabled from injuries in a car crash as a child, had "come to harm".
---
A missing persons report said Mr Clark, who lived in Marske-by-the-Sea was last seen at 15:00 GMT after a family walk.
---
The report said he went to use the gents' public toilets on Saltburn promenade while his mother went into the ladies at the same time. He was not seen coming out of the toilets and did not return home.

Det Ch Insp Shaun Page said understanding Mr Clark's relationships with those who knew him was key to the investigation.
---
Mr Clark had a severely damaged left arm, a damaged leg and pronounced limp with his ability to walk described as severely impaired.

Shortly before he went missing he was awarded the apprentice of the year award from the Rathbone Society in Redcar which helped people with disabilities improve their employment skills.

Steven Clark: Two arrested for murder of Marske man missing since 1992

BBM. And yet they went for a walk. Curious if they drove or walked to the pier.

His mum can't have been so long in the toilet that he came out before her and had disappeared completely from view by the time she came out. JMO

Why queues for women's toilets are longer than men's

Women are more likely than men to wash their hands and to use the hand dryer. So that’s a reason for more women in the general toilet area. But what about the cubicles? Studies show men take an average of 60 seconds in a toilet and women take 90 seconds – that’s 50% longer. If there are the same number of toilets for males and females, this will result in a bottleneck, backing up the flow in and out of the facilities.

(...)

Then there are the design considerations of public toilets. The spatial area of the men’s and the ladies’ toilets may be the same. But a urinal, or several, require less space than a cubicle. So there is less area for women to empty their bladder in the women’s toilets, which means fewer women can use them at any one time.

Also, the urinals in men’s toilets means more individuals can get in and out without having to open, close and lock doors and then open again, or wipe a toilet seat. Although the manbag has caught on among some, most men don’t carry much with them that needs to be safely hung behind a toilet door. So, they already have their hands free and don’t need to look for (and juggle) where to put things.

More at link. Quite interesting.

If his mother assumed that he had gone home, she might have been occupied quite a while.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back