Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sure you don't want bombarded with questions HH but if you wouldn't mind, I have just one. If you don't want to answer, that's fine, I understand.

Those pics of the metal gate and wooden stile. For Susan to have got in there, would she have had to climb over the stile or through the whole in the fence next to the closed gate? Thank you
I'm just picturing her route in my mind. :(

Yes she could climb over the stile or squeezed through the hole. I am quite small so I always just go through the hole but Susan would have probably opted for the steps

hh, after looking at the maps, do you think Phoebe may have run down to Susan's location? It wasn't possible to determine if she could have been a source for Phoebe. Maybe the post-mortem exam will have insights regarding the possibility whether Susan might have bled.
I'm sure the police would check if there was any blood in the area - if Susan was injured and bleeding for days which it would be all over the ground around her as well.

From my perspective I don't think by saying "dense undergrowth" police scotland are deliberately trying to make the public believe that Susan was found in bushes. Police here are reserved in what they say when they give a press release about a found body. There is probably a phrasebook they have to use and certain words they avoid at times. Had the police said she was found in a forest some people would come to a certain conclusion on how she died.

Another thing... the bothy is actually not that far from where Susan lay, about 150 metres by my reckoning.

Do we know if the campers were ever traced? We camp a lot and in the stillness of night can hear things from far away, sometimes the mind plays tricks and noises are heard, I'd love to know whether those lads think they heard anything while they were in the area.

Yes the SAR team leader explained to me that the hikers were visible to the helicopter on Monday, the day after Susan went missing, and so police forwarded this info and their location to SAR who went to them to question them. Obviously this info was not given to the public.

I would like to give a wee bit of credit to 'local rumour' at this point as it is fairly important in shaping the initial steps LJ took upon arrival in Aberfeldy. The word around town, and to me via my neighbour, was that Susan was offered a lift on. Crieff road, but the press and the police never mentioned this sighting as it was not a definite sighting. BUT, and this is key, we locals know that no one walks that risky road unless they are ignorant of the dangers re fast traffic, or they need to walk it because of a breakdown... so we locals knew to give credibility to the sighting. So when ten days later there was another report of a sighting at the garden centre south of the resort and on the same road, I in particular knew that my dog incident was not just some freak coincidence. Even if the blood is not related, I am positive the barking and barking was indicative of the dog greeting someone and trying to gain a response. Will never know for sure, however all three of these things pointed LJ in the direction of Loch Hoil paths, and when she was eventually able to speak with the lift gentleman herself, she realised it was definitely Susan he had spoken to.
Sometimes local rumour can lead one astray but in this case we should acknowledge that this time, for me anyway, it was vital information that I could pass on to you guys and finally LJ to give us all a direction and area to focus on.

Yes, the locals and you yourself in particular Hippy Happy deserve so much credit for your determination to find her, that is the beauty of a small community. I hope there some comfort to think she died in a place where people care so much about a visitor.

LinTX, actually it wasn't a trained cadaver dog. They were across the road finishing their check around Gatehouse, and were to come over our way shortly. It was a very cool dog of one of our local searchers. I'm sure K9 SRS's dog Barra would have found Susan as soon as he started on the secondary trail. All praise to the locals and their dogs!!!

Lorna

There hasn't been a day that I haven't thought of Susan, but being away this weekend and unable to log on to WS, I am so very sad indeed to come onto the site today to read this tragic news.

My heart goes out to her family and friends, and I just want to echo the many posts praising the determined efforts of LJ and HH in discovering what happened to Susan, and of course to the volunteers who gave their time to help in the search.

RIP dear lady.

x

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of Susan. I, too, have been following this story and it is with sadness and yet amazement that I see this news today after being gone this weekend. I truly am amazed that she was found. It is an incredible testament to Hippy Hippy and Lumberjill that their determination paid off in the end. While I am so sad for the outcome, I am so glad this didn't end up as an another unexplained missing person case.

Thank you for your updates LJ and HH!

The maps put everything in perspective and I agree it's difficult to know what brought Susan in to the tress at that place? From the last sighting she would have had over an hour of daylight left to find her way back to the lodge or at least out to the road. Maybe she became lost, walked in circles, then fatigue/hypothermia? Or possibly had rolled her ankle and left the path to find shelter?

And then what to think of the blood?

If you zoom in on the map area on Google Earth you can see a bike rider or dog walker on the path near where Susan was found. The images are from 2015 (the month we can only guess but I would say spring/summer from the vegetation).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...3.854273,579m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0
View attachment 80155

I just compared maps and from the one Lorna posted and this one, whatever that is.. Seems like the same spot Susan was found. Strange.. Wonder when these images were taken.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

If you zoom in on the map area on Google Earth you can see a bike rider or dog walker on the path near where Susan was found. The images are from 2015 (the month we can only guess but I would say spring/summer from the vegetation).
https://www.google.com/maps/place/5...3.854273,579m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0
View attachment 80155

Snipped and bolded by me.

Google Maps does not indicate the exact date a snapshot of the mapped area is taken, to my knowledge. Yes, it shows the copyright to be 2015, but that is not necessarily the date it was taken. Google Earth, on the other hand, will show the actual date the satellite image was captured, and it currently shows the imagery date of 2009.

I don't see exactly what you are referring to with the image showing a biker or walker on the trail (I zoomed further in than the image below is showing), but this 2009 image looks the same as the one you posted so I just wanted to show that in case anyone was interested.

Google Earth.jpg

Snipped and bolded by me.

Google Maps does not indicate the exact date a snapshot of the mapped area is taken, to my knowledge. Yes, it shows the copyright to be 2015, but that is not necessarily the date it was taken. Google Earth, on the other hand, will show the actual date the satellite image was captured, and it currently shows the imagery date of 2009.

I don't see exactly what you are referring to with the image showing a biker or walker on the trail (I zoomed further in than the image below is showing), but this 2009 image looks the same as the one you posted so I just wanted to show that in case anyone was interested.

View attachment 80178

8aaf9c469ff450e9cc5b96809405c4bc.jpg
I circled what they were talking about. zoomed out it looks like it's just light comin from the trees.

Snipped

Google Earth, on the other hand, will show the actual date the satellite image was captured, and it currently shows the imagery date of 2009.

Thanks StarAnise! Feeling a bit sheepish because it was my understanding that the date at the bottom of the screen indicated the date that the image was shot from space but now I see that's not the case. Oops, Sorry.

As these images now seem to be from 2009, I guess what I saw is kind of irrelevant now but I thought the bright patch near the bend in the path looked like a cyclist or dog-walker heading east. (Not important now unless there are some cold cases from 2009?!?)

Thanks StarAnise! Feeling a bit sheepish because it was my understanding that the date at the bottom of the screen indicated the date that the image was shot from space but now I see that's not the case. Oops, Sorry.

As these images now seem to be from 2009, I guess what I saw is kind of irrelevant now but I thought the bright patch near the bend in the path looked like a cyclist or dog-walker heading east. (Not important now unless there are some cold cases from 2009?!?)

No it was a good guess. I thought when I looked on my computer that it could be something then on my phone when it was zoomed out I noticed it looked like light coming through the trees. A+ for effort on your behalf! :)

hh is right. Local insights are very valuable. She pointed me to the right B&B to stay at for my first nights in the area. Way out of my budget, but I was able to get to know the first person who sighted Susan walking up Crieff Rd while staying in the middle of the area of interest. While he didn't see her face, the timing and clothing match to confirm Susan's southbound direction. Thanks again, hh, for guiding me to that starting point.
Then the police gave a few details of the non-sighting, but that driver called me directly after seeing my phone number on one of the 60 day-glow green signs I posted. Being a retired police chief, he was an excellent resource who re-drove the route to confirm the time he passed the Gatehouse. Many local people (hh and the Glasgow policeman included) helped with the time it takes to walk uphill from Moness to Gatehouse.
From the volunteer searchers--both Saturday groups were thoughtful, full of good ideas, and far better hill walkers than me--to the library staff who helped with printing and copying on many occasions, refusing to charge me. But hh was the absolute best! She walked countless hours with and without her dogs, and faced down the rumored Griffin Forest puma. She even shared her house with me. People don't get any better! Susan would have loved to meet you, hh. You are her kind of people: genuine and hard-working. I'm honored to have shared this experience with you.
The local Aberfeldy people have been so helpful! If you ever travel to Scotland, spend a week in Aberfeldy getting to know the nicest people in a town where you don't worry if you leave your doors unlocked, where kids play outside and walk to school without fear of abduction.
The Aberfeldy citizens kindly tolerate this outlander who asks them to repeat that phrase three times before she comprehends. I can't say enough great things about the town and its people. I'll treasure these memories and be forever grateful that Susan was in their midst when she took her last walk.

hh is right. Local insights are very valuable. She pointed me to the right B&B to stay at for my first nights in the area. Way out of my budget, but I was able to get to know the first person who sighted Susan walking up Crieff Rd while staying in the middle of the area of interest. While he didn't see her face, the timing and clothing match to confirm Susan's southbound direction. Thanks again, hh, for guiding me to that starting point.
Then the police gave a few details of the non-sighting, but that driver called me directly after seeing my phone number on one of the 60 day-glow green signs I posted. Being a retired police chief, he was an excellent resource who re-drove the route to confirm the time he passed the Gatehouse. Many local people (hh and the Glasgow policeman included) helped with the time it takes to walk uphill from Moness to Gatehouse.
From the volunteer searchers--both Saturday groups were thoughtful, full of good ideas, and far better hill walkers than me--to the library staff who helped with printing and copying on many occasions, refusing to charge me. But hh was the absolute best! She walked countless hours with and without her dogs, and faced down the rumored Griffin Forest puma. She even shared her house with me. People don't get any better! Susan would have loved to meet you, hh. You are her kind of people: genuine and hard-working. I'm honored to have shared this experience with you.
The local Aberfeldy people have been so helpful! If you ever travel to Scotland, spend a week in Aberfeldy getting to know the nicest people in a town where you don't worry if you leave your doors unlocked, where kids play outside and walk to school without fear of abduction.
The Aberfeldy citizens kindly tolerate this outlander who asks them to repeat that phrase three times before she comprehends. I can't say enough great things about the town and its people. I'll treasure these memories and be forever grateful that Susan was in their midst when she took her last walk.

Haha totally off topic but I finally realized your user name. Instead of lumberJACK its lumberJILL. Hahahahaha [emoji23][emoji24]

So glad that she has been found, I agree that Lumberjill's amazing ability to piece together the clues and come up with a hypothesis focussing the search made all the difference in Susan being found. Now that she has been found, the police can do their job which is collect forensic and other evidence to try to figure out what happened.

Lurker and first time poster here...this story being cross-posted to COTH is what brought me over. Amazing site, even more amazing are the ladies HippyHippy and LumberJill. But forgive me if I am skeptical that the police will be getting it right after all that has transpired. Seems to this reader like most viewers of Forensic Files and Law & Order could have gotten further than the cops did. I have been reading this story since last night and am shocked and dismayed at how badly the ball was dropped by the authorities. No matter how remote this area is, there are some simple, logical and COMMON SENSE things that should have been done, and it took two non-police persons to roll that ball.

Good job, ladies! Hippy Hippy, the authorities ought to be seeking you for hire.

Katerz, you got it! I'm originally from Oregon where there are plenty of forests and LumberJacks. :)

LJ, if you already do this then ignore but tick the Renember Me box, under your log in. I always thought that is what stopped us being automatically timed out. I may be wrong though but it works for me :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back