Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I belong to an equine forum and Susan's friends have posted there. As of yesterday, there was no word that Susan has been found. Susan is a very avid horsewoman and according to a letter posted on the forum by a friend of hers from Susan's husband, Don (Hoot) McLean, they believe she fell off a trail and is "close to an obscure overhand, shrub or dense trees".

I hope they find her soon so this family can just bring her home. Prayers

I cannot understand then how her husband can fly home if he actually believes she has perished. It just doesn't make sense. I thought maybe he had flown home because he knew something that might indicate she had gone off for a break...

I cannot understand then how her husband can fly home if he actually believes she has perished. It just doesn't make sense. I thought maybe he had flown home because he knew something that might indicate she had gone off for a break...

I do not understand the husband leaving, either. Was Susan not worth the family spending a few extra weeks in the area? Especially if they thought she had an accident, you just leave her alone to fend for herself somehow?

Something is missing here, besides Susan . . .

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ce-reject-claims-body-has-been-found-1.882310

Police have moved have moved to scotch rumours that the body of a missing American tourist was found at the weekend.

Several posts were made online on Sunday evening and Monday morning suggesting that the three-week search for Susan McLean had come to a tragic end.

However, Police Scotland said there was no basis in fact for the reports.

A spokeswoman for the force said: “At this point in time Susan McLean has not been found.”

The longer this goes on without any news, the less sure I am that the simplest explanation works...maybe it's not "a mishap while out walking"...

Keep Searching - Husband Returned* to US on June 1st

Day 23

Mon., Jun 8th: via Eucalyptuz :

D.C. Thompson & Co. Ltd.© :

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ce-reject-claims-body-has-been-found-1.882310 :

Includes Comments from Family Psychic

Includes Archives

CCTV = Closed Circuit TeleVision = Security / Surveillance Cameras

*Edited To Add:

Tue., Jun 2nd: D.C. Thompson & Co. Ltd.© :

*http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/lo...ly-awaiting-news-amid-a-fog-of-grief-1.880723 :

Paraphrasing Sister-In-Law, Caroline McLean:

Husband, Donald*, Returned* Home to Pennsylvania, USA,

on Monday, June 1st, to be with their sons, Donald and James.

I do not understand the husband leaving, either. Was Susan not worth the family spending a few extra weeks in the area? Especially if they thought she had an accident, you just leave her alone to fend for herself somehow?

Something is missing here, besides Susan . . .
I agree.

A huge thank you to Hippy Hippy for searching on her own. I know the equine community is very grateful to her.

Hi
I just read the article written by the reporter I had contacted yesterday asking her to look into the rumour. She acted quickly which is reassuring, and got back to me fast so hurrah for the local press. If nothing else, at least this false rumour brought the Susan story back into the public's view. I do hoot though that the group chat that started the rumour learns a lesson. Although technically they didn't seem to have mentioned a name. I do think I should apologise to you all on this forum for passing on the rumour to you without first of all contacting the Courier. I was just reporting to you what the locals are saying...

This afternoon I walked up the Birks, very steep, lots of steps, to the top waterfall, crossed the very safe and sturdy bridge over the falls then walked back down, all very slowly looking at the cliffs and steep ridges from opposite sides. Very little visibility as I said before because of dense trees and shrubbery etc etc.
I'm on the verge of discounting the theory that Susan was lost somehow down this gorge. No one of sound mind would attempt this trail in semi dark, with sneakers for footwear, in outing rain. The path becomes muddy very quickly in the rain and of course it's a steep hill so the rain is running downhill all the way. Just to walk all the way round takes more than an hour in good clear weather. It's a very tiring walk actually. There's barriers to the cliff almost all the way round but in a couple of places there's no fence but to actually slip and fall over the edge you would have to do it on purpose if you see what I mean. And I just don't believe this type of lady would do that kind of thing on a family holiday abroad.
So as of tomorrow I'm going back to the garden centre area

This afternoon I walked up the Birks, very steep, lots of steps, to the top waterfall, crossed the very safe and sturdy bridge over the falls then walked back down, all very slowly looking at the cliffs and steep ridges from opposite sides. Very little visibility as I said before because of dense trees and shrubbery etc etc.
I'm on the verge of discounting the theory that Susan was lost somehow down this gorge. No one of sound mind would attempt this trail in semi dark, with sneakers for footwear, in outing rain. The path becomes muddy very quickly in the rain and of course it's a steep hill so the rain is running downhill all the way. Just to walk all the way round takes more than an hour in good clear weather. It's a very tiring walk actually. There's barriers to the cliff almost all the way round but in a couple of places there's no fence but to actually slip and fall over the edge you would have to do it on purpose if you see what I mean. And I just don't believe this type of lady would do that kind of thing on a family holiday abroad.
So as of tomorrow I'm going back to the garden centre area

Looking on google maps there's a road across from the resort that goes to Murthy(?) farm. If I was going for a walk out of the front of the resort that's probably where I'd go, keep off the main road?

With regards to the CCTV, I assume that if it only 'clocked' her on the way out then there is only the back view of her for us to go on?

Did you get chance to talk to the neighbour about whether she actually spoke to him or was she holding her hood round her face and just shook her head?

I'm looking at a missing woman case in Wales as well at the moment and there is so little activity on that case that I put down to the woman in question not having any grown children. I would like to think that if I was missing for any length of time that they would be all over the media, organizing search parties - or at least going out everyday on their own, like you have, a stranger - that this case really makes me question that. I can't believe that they've left her out there on her own, in the elements, in a strange country. I couldn't imagine leaving anybody I loved behind and I hope that I mean enough to my sons that they wouldn't rest until I was back with them, alive or dead.

Even if money was a problem, I'm pretty certain that if the resort didn't offer to put people up for free until she was found, that the community would have rallied round and made sure that had happened. I just find it all incredibly sad, hence why I'm glad hippy hippy that you're on the case, I would be there with you were you a few hundred miles closer!

I'm also becoming more curious about the neighbour that wanted to stay anonymous. Wonder why that was?

Hi Aloysius
I walked on the Moness resort two days ago. Went through a back gate behind the hotel out onto the Moness housing estate. The Eastern European hotel staff all gather at this back gate for their cigarettes. I am sure they would all have been questioned on the days following Susan's disappearance. Anyway this road leads down past the hospital and to the track leading to the first farm them either distillery or Murthly farm. Either way, there is a very sturdy metal gate barring the way with a sign warning of large livestock in the field so I doubt she would have heaved through that gate and risked cattle. The police have checked all that area several times.
CCTV image is taken of her actually in the road inside the resort and NOT from road outside resort. Don't know why press or police say otherwise.

Still trying to catch my neighbour, he works three jobs! But I'm on it, don't worry.

The journalist I contacted in Mass in Susan's town of origin explained to me that it is not being covered there so much because she was a former resident and not currently associated with Groton. He tried to interview her sister but she wasn't very forthcoming as I already stated. He suggested that maybe that is just the way she deals with things like this.

I feel there's something the family is holding back about her or the circumstances, that's why there's little info and it doesn't make much sense. If she had headed out earlier in the day I wouldn't question an accident.

Re husband returning home, they have horses and other animals, he may have had to return to take care of them. Plus he's apparently convinced she won't be found alive: if that's his gut instinct, then it's wise for him to try to move on, that's what I would try to do. I feel very sorry for families who don't have closure.

Hi All
Si I went back up the the Garden Centre and then along the usual track I've concentrated my search on. I went up at 8pm and walked very slowly to the first point where I could tell the track was more or less right above the resort, but obviously the resort is not in view due to the hill and the woods, but anyone with enough sense would realise that you could just off-road down the hill to reach the resort, without having to face the A 826 again. I've done this search here probably six times now, each time going down the hill on a different path, letting the dogs off leash to see if they pick up a scent. To no avail. I'm becoming a little downhearted and yet I keep returning. Going up again today when it is not so hot. Gotten bitten by midges last night, so came home at 9:30.

Satchie you are right in saying that a little more info about Susan's state of mind could be helpful but perhaps the police took all the info they needed. What no one has realised is that there may be people, locals like myself, who are continuing the search and might be helped in the direction of their search if they knew whether she maybe had early dementia issues, or had had too much to drink, or was even maybe on medication that can cause rash behaviour. I don't know if anyone else is actively searching, certainly I have not seen anyone, but for me, if I knew she was a type that was liable to get confused, then I might search areas that don't make sense. Am I making sense? So far I am looking based on what I think a woman who wants a solitary walk, perhaps to think something over, would choose in terms of direction and plan. I've checked the disused quarries and outbuildings up there just because I've come across them in my search anyway...

hippy once again i salute your tenacious spirit and thank you so much for keeping us in the loop on your searching :tyou:

how frustrating it must be for you, it certainly is for us! and i can't imagine how it is for her loved ones :(

how's the fluffy? healing nicely i hope.......give a hug from a faraway bee:) and sending my many thanks to you as always my friend :cupcake: :loveyou:

Satchie you are right in saying that a little more info about Susan's state of mind could be helpful but perhaps the police took all the info they needed. What no one has realised is that there may be people, locals like myself, who are continuing the search and might be helped in the direction of their search if they knew whether she maybe had early dementia issues, or had had too much to drink, or was even maybe on medication that can cause rash behaviour. I don't know if anyone else is actively searching, certainly I have not seen anyone, but for me, if I knew she was a type that was liable to get confused, then I might search areas that don't make sense. Am I making sense? So far I am looking based on what I think a woman who wants a solitary walk, perhaps to think something over, would choose in terms of direction and plan. I've checked the disused quarries and outbuildings up there just because I've come across them in my search anyway...

I have been in touch with a friend of Susan's sister to try and get more information for you. I explained how wonderful you have been searching on your own and the friend was so grateful to you on behalf of Susan's family. She called you their "angel". So very true.

I have been in touch with a friend of Susan's sister to try and get more information for you. I explained how wonderful you have been searching on your own and the friend was so grateful to you on behalf of Susan's family.
zuri that is just like you to go the extra mile......you are just so wonderful :hug:

people like you and hippy hippy are what make the world go round :grouphug:

:rose: susan........holding onto hope

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine