Found Deceased UK - Susan McLean, 61, U.S. tourist, Aberfeldy, Scotland, 17 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I heard that Susan's husband just learned about WebSleuth late last week. And it takes a couple of days to get permissions to post here, so I'm hoping he will soon be commenting on some of the WS questions asked to fill in gaps that might lead to finding Susan.

That would be excellent!

Hippy--I'll arrive Sunday. Would love to get tips on a month-long rental. Thx!

Wow Lumberjill! This is great news! I hope you and hippyhippy can crack this case :)

My best case scenario solution: Poor Susan took a tumble and knocked her head. She awoke with amnesia and a burning desire to witness the Loch Ness monster. You two track her down to a lochside cabin where she is sipping G&Ts with her eyes trained on the water.

Wow Lumberjill! This is great news! I hope you and Lumberjill and hippyhippy can crack this case :)

My best case scenario solution: Poor Susan took a tumble and knocked her head. She awoke with amnesia and a burning desire to witness the Loch Ness monster. You two track her down to a lochside cabin where she is sipping G&Ts with her eyes trained on the water.

:yeahthat:

Wouldn't that be amazing!!

Hi Websleuthers,
I'm Susan's friend from the US. I so wish I'd known about this site earlier, but just learned of it a few days ago. Hippy hippy, your map helps me see what some of the problems are with searching the area. Are you still going out? Would it be worth my coming over? I have no specific skills to make me particularly useful, but if the police have stopped all searching... I could surely do something if only make sure the posters are still visible. Comments, here or by PM please. I feel like I need to do something, but have no clue of what.

Hi welcome to websleuths. Sorry that you have joined under terrible circumstances. It is excellent that you are coming over and joining HippyHippy in the search. Thank you to both of you for all your efforts.

I am Susan's husband Donald and have read this blog on Susan with great interest. I only became aware of it last week & want to thank each of you who have been contributing ideas & suggestions over the last two months. I especially want to thank and commend Hippy Hippy and her canine companions for continuing the search for Susan in spite of placing herself in danger at times. She's an amazing person. I also can't begin to thank Lumberjill for taking it upon herself to travel to Scotland to continue the search; she is a long time friend of the family. I offer a couple of points on Susan. She often goes for walks by herself; she went on a long walk the previous week when we were staying near Oban. When she returned she said she had climbed a mountain path & met a friendly horse owner. They chatted for some time before she returned. On the day Susan disappeared we spent time visiting Dewars, a castle in Aberfeldy, Pitlockery, Bells & Kenmore. We stopped for a pint at the Yew Pub in Fortingal & returned to Moness around 7:15 PM. We had a disagreement about dinner & Susan went for her walk. My sons & I searched for her when she didn't return and the rest you know. My and Susan's family are devastated by her disappearance. We celebrate our 42nd anniversary in August. Susan had several trips planned through January 2016 & I was planning to retire the end of July this year; Susan was delighted. We miss her so much & need to know what happened to her. Many friends continue to pray for her safe return daily. Donald

Hello Donald. Welcome to websleuths and thank you so much for sharing this info. I hope this horrible situation is resolved soon for you and your family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Donald-thanks so much for joining the forum; I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you and your family. Hippy Hippy has gone above and beyond, for sure.

Welcome Donald. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A huge warm welcome to you, Donald. Thank you so much for joining us. Hippy Hippy has indeed been a absolute star, she has truly shot the notion of "armchair detectives" out of the water on this one.

I guess at this stage the main question I have for you is: what is your gut instinct about what happened to Susan? You know her better than anyone, you're more in tune with her mindset and typical behaviours, any little snippet of information might help Hippy focus her search.

Sending love and light from the UK and I'm sure I speak for everyone here - we care about what happened to Susan, we're upset this happened to a holidaymaker visiting our country. Please keep talking to us.

I am terribly afraid that Susan slipped, fell, & was hurt badly enough that she was unable to get out & find help. Hippy Hippy's dog may actually know where Susan is. What worries and distresses me the most is Susan likely was alive & suffering from her injuries for days before she died. Donald

I am terribly afraid that Susan slipped, fell, & was hurt badly enough that she was unable to get out & find help. Hippy Hippy's dog may actually know where Susan is. What worries and distresses me the most is Susan likely was alive & suffering from her injuries for days before she died. Donald

That's the worst case scenario of course. However, it would be normal for heat seeking helicopters to go out on a search, especially with woodland involved. I'm not sure if we've ever had confirmation of when/if they went out, do you know?

Hello Donald,
Thanks so much for joining in here and I hope that the reading of this thread was not too painful. Sometimes sleuthers can come up with some ideas or scenarios that may shock or hurt family members, and I'm sorry if you had to read anything that caused further pain.

From your comment above it seems that there is no way that you can see that Susan may be alive somewhere today? I am just asking because although my idea of amnesia mentioned above was a fanciful one, it was all I had left because perhaps like you (and as an outsider) I didn't see Susan as a suicide victim or someone running away. I can't imagine how painful this has been for you and your family and I hope there is some kind of peace at the end of this horribleness.

Donald I have not mentioned to the WS members, except for Sillybilly the moderator of this thread, the story of my dog because I wanted you to hear to from me first before going public. So if you give me permission, I can describe what happened to us on May 19th. Also I did not know if having given my story to the police and having made a police statement that day, would I be allowed to share the story with the general public before the case was resolved.
Anyway, if you think it would help, I am more than willing to explain to WSers how I became so involved in the first place. Even if we are eventually proven mistaken, the good thing that came of it was that I began searching and taking a more active part in encouraging others to keep a look out on their own dog walks and excursions in the area.
Lumberjill has been in direct contact and I am on it.

Covermecagney,
The helicopters came all of Monday, all of Tuesday and most of Wednesday. Donald may know more on this. They did have the heat seeking equipment on board.

Donald I have not mentioned to the WS members, except for Sillybilly the moderator of this thread, the story of my dog because I wanted you to hear to from me first before going public. So if you give me permission, I can describe what happened to us on May 19th. Also I did not know if having given my story to the police and having made a police statement that day, would I be allowed to share the story with the general public before the case was resolved.
Anyway, if you think it would help, I am more than willing to explain to WSers how I became so involved in the first place. Even if we are eventually proven mistaken, the good thing that came of it was that I began searching and taking a more active part in encouraging others to keep a look out on their own dog walks and excursions in the area.
Lumberjill has been in direct contact and I am on it.

hippy hippy, your dedication to this search is a wonderful gift to the family. And to soon have the help of one of Susan's friends will be a gift to you.

Your post above is quite a tease to those of us who have followed this case since the beginning. I love that you are circumspect about appropriate information sharing, but wow! Please do share if possible. I think I've been drawn to Susan's case because I feel a kinship with her--I'm a "young" 61 myself, very active and engaged with my world, and it seems Susan had a lot of life left to live when she went missing.

How wonderful to read that Lumberjill and equivet have joined here. I really hope that hilly and LJ can make some headway. I truly understand how hard it is for horse people to get away. Hopefully LJ and equivet can stay in touch and let us know how things go. Best of luck to all.

hippy hippy,
You deserve the Websleuther of the Year Award!
Your Boots on the Ground,
Won't-Take-No-for-an-Answer approach in the Search for Mrs. McLean, is one for the history books here at WS!

:bow:
:yourock:

Thank you THANK YOU
THANK YOU!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read this thread for the first time, and I am so impressed with the efforts being made! Hippy hippy, thanks are definitely in order for you and your furry friends' efforts.

I know that you mentioned not responding to the reporter who wanted to talk with you about your searches, but please do reconsider. A story about you, and now lumberjill, could be a beautifully done human interest story that could reignite interest in the case from the public. It would be wonderful for some of those knowledgeable locals to join in the search, and your story could inspire them to do so. Just a thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back