UK - Sycamore Gap tree at Hadrian's Wall 'felled overnight', Sept 2023 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's an archaeological and historical site.
Archaeological sites are typically investigated and researched not just once but again whenever new scientific methods etc are discovered or developed.
Placing a piece of modern metal art on the site would be totally inappropriate and would hinder future examinations.

good point, do you have any suggestions?

I'm not local to the site and imo locals should make the decision, but if I were asked, I would suggest a new tree, either one that sprouts from the stump or a planted sapling. A sprout or sapling won't be monumental like the felled tree, but there was a time when the mighty tree was also a sapling. I think it would be a nice tribute and a gift from our generation to the future. And it will give something for generations to watch change and grow over time, which I think would be meaningful and I think people would feel affection for it just like they did for the mighty tree.

jmo

I'm not local to the site and imo locals should make the decision, but if I were asked, I would suggest a new tree, either one that sprouts from the stump or a planted sapling. A sprout or sapling won't be monumental like the felled tree, but there was a time when the mighty tree was also a sapling. I think it would be a nice tribute and a gift from our generation to the future. And it will give something for generations to watch change and grow over time, which I think would be meaningful and I think people would feel affection for it just like they did for the mighty tree.

jmo

Someone already planted a sapling close by.

Archaeological sites are typically investigated and researched not just once but again whenever new scientific methods etc are discovered or developed.
Placing a piece of modern metal art on the site would be totally inappropriate and would hinder future examinations.

I don't see why it's inappropriate or how it would hinder future examinations.

What does this mean?:

The pensioner was left heartbroken after losing a long-running battle to stay at his home which had been in the family for three generations.

He was kicked out on Thursday after the Jesuits in Britain, who own the land, fought to kick him out.

How can he be kicked out of a home thats been in the family for 3 generations?

And how can a home that has been in his family for 3 generations belong to the Jesuits of Britain and not his family?

And why would a religious order kick someone out of their home?

And what are Jesuits in Britain? Is it something different to the religious order the Jesuits?

And what has any of that got to do with this tree?

What does this mean?:

And how can a home that has been in his family for 3 generations belong to the Jesuits of Britain and not his family?

And what are Jesuits in Britain? Is it something different to the religious order the Jesuits?

Could it be some sort of crofting arrangement, where it’s sort of a generations-long “rental” rather than outright ownership?

Something very similar happened in Australia a few years ago.

If anyone seeing this post is local to the poor Hadrian's Wall Sycamore Gap Tree or can get involved in any way, researching the Barcaldine Tree of Knowledge and contacting the people involved would be a good resource for you.
Please pass it on if you know someone this could help:

I personally dislike the memorial they created to the tree out of the tree; i feel it is very sad and macabre. I think they should have just planted another tree in the same place.
They cloned the tree and a baby clone of it is growing down the road in a walled garden. This protects it but I also suspect they didn't want it near the road like the old tree was.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if anyone has taken cuttings, scions or samples from the tree yet?

You only have so much time to take cuttings or scions or to collect tissue for tissue culture cloning.

If you wait around for a beurocratic decision about what is going to be done it may be too late.

Saplings will be amazing, but they may not grow.

So I would also want to take some cuttings (and maybe truncheons) as a backup, and some scions as a backup backup, and some samples of all tissue types as a backup backup backup.

Last edited:
Those pictures really show how massive it was. Idk if this 69 year-old is guilty but no 16 year-old did that by himself, that's for sure.
Could the high winds have assisted?

What does this mean?:

Lots of questions to answer. Did he truly own the home? Did his family? Did he or family mortgage it? People are foreclosed on for failure to pay taxes or mortgages. If he was being removed from the home, there was a reason. What is the connection to the tree? Who knows. Probably none.

"How the Sycamore Gap Tree could rise again:

Scientists claim they have the technology to grow an IDENTICAL copy of the felled tree at Hadrian's Wall."

I agree a sculpture would be very inappropriate. The whole point of Hadrian's Wall was wildness, and this is the wildest section. The Wall was built to keep out the ruffians from the north, and protect the Roman Empire. It is bleak and invigorating. Spooky sometimes. Misty, damp, bitterly cold. Exposed.

And no no no to placing anything on an inherently and obviously significant site. Anything you place there would churn up terrain into the depths. If there's to be digging in that area, it's for archaeologists.

I walked the Wall in a University of Durham week-long course (we lived in a bitterly cold castle), led by Birley and one of his protegés.

Last edited:

"How the Sycamore Gap Tree could rise again:

Scientists claim they have the technology to grow an IDENTICAL copy of the felled tree at Hadrian's Wall."

Alot of trees make clones....so I can see this wouldn't be difficult. IIRC the largest living thing in the universe is a cloned group of aspens out west.
Aha!

Another Update

"Tiny traces of oil left on the stump of the Sycamore Gap tree could help police in their hunt for the person who chopped it down, forensic scientists have revealed.

The oil lubricates the chain to stop it from overheating and seizing up.
And forensic experts have shed new light on how a unique blend of oil could help uncover the saw used to cut down the tree.

Dr Angela Gallop, one of the UK's most experienced forensic scientists who helped to convict two of Stephen Lawrence's killers, told The Times that traces of oil left on the stump from the chainsaw could help with finding the saw which was used.

She added:
'When topping up machinery with different types of oils, you might add one type of oil with another type of oil with slightly different chemical components, and build up a
chemical 'fingerprint'.

Amid the outcry from locals, politicians and environmentalists, detectives are looking at charges for felling the tree without consent, while it emerged earlier this week that they are probing some damage caused to Hadrian's Wall - a heritage site - which could bring harsher sentences."

I'm following this case as a nature lover, whose heart breaks when I see its destruction :(

Andrew Poad, the general manager of the Roman heritage site for the National Trust, said: “Effectively, what the perpetrator has done is coppice the tree.

“So ironically they have prolonged the life of the tree.”

Plans will be made to keep grazing sheep off the stump, allowing any shoots which emerge to grow.

Mr Poad said the tree will not look the same, but is confident the stump will regrow, which is typical of sycamores.

Seeds have been collected which the National Trust said could be used to propagate saplings.

Andrew Poad, the general manager of the Roman heritage site for the National Trust, said: “Effectively, what the perpetrator has done is coppice the tree.

“So ironically they have prolonged the life of the tree.”

Plans will be made to keep grazing sheep off the stump, allowing any shoots which emerge to grow.

Mr Poad said the tree will not look the same, but is confident the stump will regrow, which is typical of sycamores.

Seeds have been collected which the National Trust said could be used to propagate saplings.
May it be so.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deedeerae12