UK - the late Jimmy Savile and the underage sex charges now confronting the BBC

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I grew up with Rolf Harris on tv and many years ago I had the lucky chance to meet him.

He is (on the surface at least) exactly how he appears - an old darling. Polite, shy, courteous, sweet and humble, and extremely unlikely to be a child molester of any sort, in my opinion.

I met him in a circumstance where I could easily have been taken advantage of (I was much younger) and he couldn't have been more gentlemanly.

Note also he hasn't been charged with any offence.

Blog discussion:

Twitter Reacts to Barbara Hewson

Barbara Hewson, a barrister, published an article in Spiked Magazine yesterday. Here it is: if you haven't read it, I suggest you do, rather than relying on media reports about it or what people are saying about it.

Criticism

My views on the article is that it raises a couple of valid points, that are put badly. One line that suggests abuse victims are to blame for putting themselves in compromising positions is particularly objectionable - another is the belittling of Stuart Hall's offences towards a 9 year old. The piece is offensive to all sorts of people who battle against rape culture and I understand their outrage. This is about the best article I've read explaining (in Zoe Stavri's typically passionate terms) why it's so objectionable. Do please read it, and if you have time this good piece by Peter Tatchell with his very measured, sensible reaction.

[Addendum: Just to make it crystal clear this blog post is not a critique of Hewson's piece. It's about the reaction the piece received on Twitter. How **** it was or wasn't, as opposed to the quantity and type of abuse she received as a result of it, are two completely separate issues. I thought that blindingly obvious, but clearly not from comments I've received.]

Continued: http://pme2013.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/twitter-reacts-to-barbara-hewson.html?m=1

An interesting point made is Barbara Hewson, in speaking of lowering the age of consent, wasn't proposing a paedophiles' charter, she was speaking of those of the similar age who were consenting together. There is a graph to show the European countries where the age of consent is 13, 14 or 15. I was surprised.

Giving her view more thought, after reading this and having initially been aghast at what she'd said, I realise she wasn't saying older men should be allowed to tap up a 13 year-old with impunity.

This post is related to Operation Yewtree imo.

I have read and appreciated the above poster's view of Rolf Harris in that he's a nice old man. Of course should it come to light he did do what he's been accused of nice is as nice does.

I am of the belief there is witch hunting going on and then there are the Stuart Halls whom people remain staggered to learn he definitely was a predator by his own admission. I, personally, hope he goes to prison for the rest of his natural, particularly having found out he's put all his assets in his wife's name in order not to pay any damages to those he molested and have a case against him.

A Sydney woman has publicly accused Rolf Harris of touching her inappropriately when she was 14 years old.

May 13, 2013: An Australian woman has spoken of the alleged crimes Rolf Harris committed against her when she was part of a touring theatre group.
Tonya Lee, a 42-year-old bank manager, has told A Current Affair she was on tour with an amateur theatre group in the UK in the 1980s when the renowned entertainer touched her in a sexual manner during two separate incidents on the same night.
Ms Lee contacted Scotland Yard detectives when she learned they were in Australia speaking with witnesses about Harris.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2013/05/13/10/21/new-allegations-against-rolf-harris

Jimmy Savile: Celebrity arrests could soar after police discover DJ's secret lair at record shop. (mirror.co.uk)
Names and sexual details of hundreds of girls were scrawled across huge wall in a scene from a horror film

---
The vile register, which contained the names, ages and a disgusting ratings system seemingly used to mark their sexual performance, was scrawled on a secret wall buried behind layers of wallpaper and plaster
---
Officers who raided the shop in Greater Manchester after a tip-off will now try to trace the alleged victims.
---
The list of girls and young women is thought to identify hundreds of potential new victims abused at the hands of the BBC DJ and it raised fears Savile was at the centre of a celebrity paedophile ring.

Police believe the major breakthrough could lead to further arrests – including other well-known celebrities.
---
much more at the link

Not holding my breath.

Dr Michael Salmon,consultant paediatrician at Stoke Mandeville hospital, was convicted and jailed for three years in 1990 for indecent assaults on teenaged girl patients, two thirteen year olds and one sixteen year old girl.[4] The joint Metropolitan Police Service and National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children report of the investigations into sexual abuse committed by Jimmy Savile found that Savile, who was a valued fundraiser for the institution,committed offences there between 1965 - 88. Twenty-two offences there between those dates have been formally recorded as crimes by the police.[5] A former child patient at the hospital has said that nurses warned her to stay in bed and pretend to be asleep when Savile was due to visit.

On 19 October the Metropolitan Police Service launched a formal criminal investigation, Operation Yewtree, into historic allegations of child sexual abuse by Savile and other people, some of whom were still living, over four decades. They stated that they were pursuing over 400 separate lines of inquiry, based on the claims of 200 witnesses, via 14 police forces across the UK. They described the alleged abuse as being "on an unprecedented scale", and the number of potential victims as "staggering".[2][3] By 19 December, eight people had been questioned as part of the investigation. The Metropolitan Police stated that the total number of alleged victims was 589, of whom 450 alleged abuse by Savile.[4][5]

Jimmy Savile sexual abuse scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO there is a group of adults in this world that prey on children. Organized child abuse IMHO happens. These child abusers operate on humanity the same as their young victims: "it didn't happen." If you think it happened or happens, then you are making it up or are crazy."

The mark of abusers. To tell you, you don't know what you are talking about.

Please may the abuse of children around the world come to an end though all good people(the majority on earth) coming together and saying "enough" to all corruption and abuse.

:twocents:

Former Doctor Who Colin Baker's account of So-vile, when he [Saville] did a JFI for a Doctor Who fan:

Baker, who played the doctor from 1984 to 1986, said: ‘I met Jimmy Savile briefly in the 1980s when I was working on Dr Who. A young man had written asking if he could “fix it” for him to meet the Doctor and travel in the Tardis.
‘After the lad had saved the day and the Sontarans had been “fixed”, Savile entered the set and did his usual self-congratulatory shtick.
‘I didn’t warm to him. His demeanour was neither friendly, nor inclusive. He behaved much as one might expect a child to behave who had been indulged and led to believe that life revolved around them.
‘There was certainly none of the professional respect that one would expect to be shared when two programmes combine for a special purpose. Even though we were on the Tardis set, it was very much his territory and his agenda.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...is-eyes-cold-behaved-like-child-indulged.html

Unfortunately, the Beeb featured it on a DW DVD :facepalm: and have temporarily pulled said DVD from circulation for the time being, and will reissue it without the clip :great:

Time to get the chlorox out and scrub the Tardis!

This has made me really sad, though. I too grew up with Rolf and his great big Dulux paintings and wobble board antics - he was such icon back then, even the Goodies did a show about Rolf (and the cry of "don't the kids love him!" surely is making a few folks wince lately.. )

www.independent.co.uk : Police have said an 83-year-old man - believed to be Rolf Harris - was re-arrested on suspicion of further sexual offences when he answered police bail today.

I hope it's not true. :( But if it is, then he deserves the same revulsion given to Savile. These people are the ones we looked up to and listened to as kids. We learned to love them in a way - it's a betrayal of a whole nation, in that sense.

Here's a really interesting little snippet that was edited out of an interview with John Lydon (Johnny Rotten, of the Sex Pistols) in --1978--- and just listen to what he says about Savile:

[video=youtube;Rjy8oLVOvi4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rjy8oLVOvi4[/video]

It's pretty plain that his behaviour well-known to the entertainment industry, to where it was open rumour -- and also that as far back as that, legal reprisals for speaking about it too loudly were a common response.

Clifford is going to be sentenced any minute now. I don't have access to Brit TV but am listening out on the radio.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back