GUILTY UK - Tia Sharp, 12, New Addington, London, 3 Aug 2012 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hazell said he changed his plea because
Tia's family had "suffered enough".

This man can't stop lying, can he?? Like the prosecution said, he's only pleaded guilty because of the overwhelming evidence against him. And no doubt there was more horror to come. He's refused to go into the witness box to explain what he did, so he's opted for the easy way out in the hope that the judge will be more lenient with him now he's finally pleaded guilty. Once again, thinking of himself.

That's a defence lawyer for you. He doesn't want an appeal coming out of the weeds in the future saying he didn't used everything to mitigate for his client.
Hardly a defence though is it? I'd have thought a better one would have been to say he'd been under the influence of drugs and drink and acted out of character than to say he 'probably' loved her.

I hope this judge takes no nonsense and isn't willing to go easy on him.
Some of them seem like they live on a different planet!

Carlile says killing falls into minimum 30 years not longer category

Well, there you have it - even the defence is talking in terms of a minimum 30 years (and let's just remind ourselves again - that means 30 years before being allowed to apply for parole - not automatic release).

I too hope the judge ignores the lies about remorse and the sob stories. :boohoo:
Actually no, I hope he slaps on an extra 10 years for the lies.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/may/13/stuart-hazell-incest-websites-tia-sharp

Hazell was accessing Grade 1 images – the lowest on the scale, but it appeared to be a growing interest. He also accessed images of bestiality. Nothing in his background, however, indicated he would act upon his perverted desires in such a violent way.

In 2003, he was jailed at Kingston crown court for 34 months for crack dealing. In 2010, he was jailed for 12 months for possessing an offensive weapon – a machete. But there were no sexual offences in his past and no convictions for serious violence.

Crack and drug addition featured heavily in Tia's life. Her mother and stepfather, David Niles, were known to social services for their drug addiction. Over the past five years there were several referrals to Merton social services for drug use.

These included a social services intervention after a referral by the police in March 2008 in response to crack cocaine use by Natalie and David Niles. In October 2010, doctors referred a pregnant Natalie to social services over concerns about her addiction and the impact on the baby.

In 2011, social services returned after a violent argument at their home in which the police were called

In the weeks before Tia went missing Hazell, 37, appeared to increase his interest in her. Throughout July and early August 2012 he filmed her sleeping, zooming in on her face, captured her as she put cream on her legs and, a day before he killed her, took numerous pictures of Tia as she sat chatting with a schoolfriend at her mother's house in Mitcham, south London.

Hardly a defence though is it? I'd have thought a better one would have been to say he'd been under the influence of drugs and drink and acted out of character than to say he 'probably' loved her.

I'd imagine his defence lawyer doesn't want to try too hard to come up with anything which might lessen the sentence. Can't have been easy for him to have to defend that .

I can't see the judge giving him anything less than 30 years.

I know this is a victim friendly site, so I won't say what I really think ..... but why oh why didn't it occur to anyone in the family that it wasn't exactly normal for a bloke who has already had sex with the gran and the mum to now be spending a lot of time home alone with the almost teenage daughter. Surely alarm bells must have rung?

I've read comments from the family saying that she "idolised him" .... makes me wonder if he hadn't already groomed her? After all, it seems strange that a 12 year old girl would want to spend the night with her Gran's boyfriend, when the gran wasn't even there. Just MOO.

Poor Tia, she didn't ever stand a chance.

it seems strange that a 12 year old girl would want to spend the night with her Gran's boyfriend, when the gran wasn't even there.

Not so much wanting to be with them, perhaps, as wanting some time away from home. She had her own room at her gran's, which she possibly didn't at home where it was probably quite hectic with a baby and a toddler. Yes, I can understand it.

I don't think it will be anything like that much they are very very lenient in the UK not like the US which is a disgrace. Life should mean life. I think he will get maybe 20 years and serve less. He will have to go in witness protection though when he gets out because he would get street justice.

He will be out in 15.
In answer to both, I don't believe he'll get anything less than 25+ years, time served before parole.

What? In what respect did Hazell 'probably' love Tia? When he was secretly filming her putting lotion on her legs? When he was in her room taking secret photos of her as she lay sleeping? When he was searching child *advertiser censored* sites for young girls committing sexual acts that looked like Tia? After he murdered her and took a sick obscene photo of her for his own sexual gratification? After he shoved her in the loft to rot? After he gave that speech about 'hand on heart, Tia walked out of my house that day?'

I honestly do not understand this Carlile at ALL. How can he make such a claim that Hazell 'probably' loved Tia in the face of the disgusting evidence her family have had to hear? That's 'probably' love?? Oh my God.
It is sickening, but unfortunately for the victim, it's Carlisle's job to spout Hazell's lies in mitigation. I agree with you though, the 'love' claim is vile.

There's no doubt in my mind his interest in Tia began when he first knew her as her mother's boyfriend. How can the defence possibly know that interest only started 'growing' in the previous weeks before her death? They can't. He plead guilty hoping he'll get a more lenient sentence, that would only have worked had he admitted it from the start. The judge will be astute enough to pick up on all of that. Feelings are running high in this country re the justice system. This judge better get it right.

Not so much wanting to be with them, perhaps, as wanting some time away from home. She had her own room at her gran's, which she possibly didn't at home where it was probably quite hectic with a baby and a toddler. Yes, I can understand it.
I can too, for the reasons you state, plus the fact that Tia slept on a couch at her Mother's house. I'm not going to get into 'family bashing', as it's all been said before. But what a tragedy for Tia this wasn't booted into touch when he and her mother broke up. Poor little girl.

He is getting sentenced at 10.30? Correct? Really hoping he doesn't get less than 30 years

Sent from my 'alternate reality' using my hippocampus

@SkyFixerJim:

Court 2 is packed as we wait for the judge's arrival. No sign of Hazell yet. We're wondering if the jury will return for his sentencing.

The judge is in Hazell is brought up.

And here come the jury. All of them, as far as I can see. They don't have to be here.

Judge : Tia was a sparky girl, full of life. You took that life from her... You are responsible.

Judge: there is only one sentence for murder, life. But the law requires me to decide when if ever you should be considered for release.

Judge: there is no doubt you had developed a sexual interest in Tia, your Internet searches demonstrate this.

Judge now talking about the naked after death picture Hazell took of Tia.

Judge: I have had to decide whether there was a sexual motivation for the murder. The prosecution says there was.

Hazell has been told to remain seated during the sentencing remarks. He'll be told to stand for the sentence itself. #tiasharp

@Gareth_Davies09:

Judge: There is only one sentence for murder, that is life imprisonment. Choice between minimum or whole life term

Judge: no doubt you developed a sexual attraction to Tia. Tia was not your blood relationship but there was a bond, you took pictures of her

Judge: Highly-suggestive that the picture was taken after death, say pathologists. Likely docs are right but I have to be sure.

Hazell staring straight ahead, emotionless as Judge Justice Nicol addresses him

Judge: I cannot be sure there was a sexual motivation in Tia's murder. Shame and fear are just too possible motives

Judge: you have betrayed family's trust in most grevious way possible #tiasharp

@SkyFixerJim:

Judge: there was no pathological evidence that Tia had been sexually assaulted, although it cannot be discounted.

Judge: I cannot say for certain that there was a sexual motive for the killing. It is not a case where a whole life tariff can be imposed.

Hazell is sitting forward in his seat, staring intently at the judge as he speaks.

Judge: thirty years as a starting point is appropriate. I have to consider the aggravating features.

Judge: Tia's age is one aggravating factor. The gross breach of trust is another. That picture further degraded that young girl.

Judge: the concealment of Tia's body is another aggravating factor. You have already served sentences for drugs supply and carrying weapon.

Judge: your guilty plea has come very late. It follows a wholly fictitious account of Tia falling downstairs and breaking her neck.

Judge: you will serve 38 years.

@Gareth_Davies09:

Judge: Your plea of guilty came very late. Your counsel says you wish to avoid further distress to family, which is commendable
[Oh, please!]

@SkyFixerJim:

BREAKING: Stuart Hazell will serve 38 years minimum for the murder of Tia Sharp.

Hazell is taken down from the dock very quickly indeed. The sentence brought gasps, sobs and cries of "yes" from Tia's family.

@Gareth_Davies09:

There were shouts of "beast" from the public gallery as Hazell was sentenced. Others shouted "yes" or cheered #tiasharp

Christine Bicknell, Tia's grandmother, appeared to burst out crying and hugged a family member #tiasharp

Judge said that while he took guilty plea into account, waiting for such a long time, and concocting story, meant Tia's family suffered

As throughout, there was little emotion from Hazell on being told the sentenced. He was quickly taken out of court

@SkyFixerJim:

Stuart Hazell will turn 38 this month. Today he was sentenced to 38 years. So he'll be 76 before he's even considered for release.

Really pleased with the sentence. I thought it would be something like that but you can never be sure.

I really don't understand how the judge can say he couldn't give a whole life tariff because he couldn't tell if the murder was sexually motivated! It seemed obvious that it was.

I really don't understand how the judge can say he couldn't give a whole life tariff because he couldn't tell if the murder was sexually motivated! It seemed obvious that it was.

No, I think there's a distinction. For some, it's the actual killing that gives sexual gratification, so it's intended from the outset.

In other cases, they kill to cover up what they've done, to stop the victim telling. So in those cases not necessarily premeditated.

I know this is a victim friendly site, so I won't say what I really think ..... but why oh why didn't it occur to anyone in the family that it wasn't exactly normal for a bloke who has already had sex with the gran and the mum to now be spending a lot of time home alone with the almost teenage daughter. Surely alarm bells must have rung?

Poor Tia, she didn't ever stand a chance.

I wrote a post last week but deleted it as I felt I was saying too much.

But, without going into detail now, I will just say I totally agree with you ........poor Tia never stood a chance

Yes, I can understand that part. At home, if we are to believe the papers, she slept on the living room couch and kept her clothes in a black bin bag - the second bedroom being allocated to her two small half brothers.

No wonder she preferred time at Gran's with her own room.

really pleased with that sentence,so he wont be eligible for parole for a minimum of 38 years?

really pleased with that sentence,so he wont be eligible for parole for a minimum of 38 years?

Yep, no chance of parole until he's served 38 years. I think he'll die in jail.

38 years in the week he turns 38. He'll die inside, that'll do me. Justice for Tia.

Thank you for the continual updates Neurotripsy, much appreciated.

So sad to know that her Grandma's house seemed to be her getaway, her solace.

To be betrayed in that way, just heartbreaking.

Rest in peace Tia, no one can hurt you now...

:rose: Tia :rose:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmann420
Back