UK- Two cases of monkeypox virus found in Wales, June 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Everything I have read so far is direct contact.

Monkeypox virus is a completely different virus than the viruses that cause COVID-19 or measles. It is not known to linger in the air and is not transmitted during short periods of shared airspace. Monkeypox spreads through direct contact with body fluids or sores on the body of someone who has monkeypox, or with direct contact with materials that have touched body fluids or sores, such as clothing or linens. It may also spread through respiratory secretions when people have close, face-to-face contact.

In the current monkeypox outbreak, we know that those with disease generally describe close, sustained physical contact with other people who are infected with the virus. We continue to study other possible modes of transmission, such as through semen.

What about the few cases appearing in children? Maybe it is rarely spread on other commonly-touched surfaces? I hope the children aren't suffering much pain.

I'm concerned about this breaking out in a daycare setting. So many working parents are hugely reliant on good safe daycare so they can stay working and keep a roof over their heads.

I would like to see all phlebotomists, lab technicians, etc. earn a really decent salary.
Some do earn a nice salary, but some absolutely don't, depending on location, job title, Associates vs. Bachelors, etc. Yet job description/ duties are the same regardless.
If these are some of the lower-paid employees and they don't feel they have enough information/P.P.E./ support, etc. yet, I don't see their actions as discriminatory.

That said, I don't agree with refusing to provide patients with health-care, if they are provided full P.P.E. by their employer, but I also have empathy for their fear. Maybe they feel they don't know yet which personal protective equipment is actually enough?

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration is undergoing a course correction in its response to the monkeypox outbreak after weeks of logistical and bureaucratic delays in providing testing, treatments and vaccines.

Officials acknowledge they are now playing catch-up as case numbers grow faster than initially expected, people close to the administration said, noting the number of infections has jumped from dozens to thousands in a short amount of time.

As part of its new approach, the administration is working to drastically increase the number of people vaccinated against monkeypox and improve access to an experimental treatment for those infected, in addition to naming a monkeypox coordinator to manage the response from the White House across agencies and with state and local governments.

Still, the administration faces a maze of obstacles, according to a dozen doctors on the front lines and former public health officials who spoke with NBC News...

The Biden administration declared monkeypox a public health emergency on Thursday as cases topped 6,600 nationwide.

The declaration could facilitate access to emergency funds, allow health agencies to collect more data about cases and vaccinations, accelerate vaccine distribution and make it easier for doctors to prescribe treatment.

"We’re prepared to take our response to the next level in addressing this virus and we urge every American to take monkeypox seriously and to take responsibility to help us tackle this virus," Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Xavier Becerra said in a Thursday briefing about the emergency declaration.

A quarter of U.S. cases are in New York state, which declared a state of emergency last week. California and Illinois followed suit with emergency declarations Monday...

What about the few cases appearing in children? Maybe it is rarely spread on other commonly-touched surfaces? I hope the children aren't suffering much pain.

Dr Rochelle Walensky said the children both had contact with gay or bisexual men — the community where most cases are being detected in the current outbreak.

Dr Rochelle Walensky said the children both had contact with gay or bisexual men — the community where most cases are being detected in the current outbreak.

Let's get this out in the open.

Children are being infected and the reasons for the spread need to be acknowledged and the community needs to bear responsibility for the behaviours

Let's get this out in the open.

Children are being infected and the reasons for the spread need to be acknowledged and the community needs to bear responsibility for the behaviours
The problem might lie with men who are dishonest with wives and girlfriends about secret activities with other men.

Same with a cheating heterosexual man, imo- whether it be with the neighbourhood floozy, or a sex worker, it is disgusting to think what an unsuspecting wife and children might be exposed to and have no idea where whatever came from. speculation, imo.

The problem might lie with men who are dishonest with wives and girlfriends about secret activities with other men.

Same with a cheating heterosexual man, imo- whether it be with the neighbourhood floozy, or a sex worker, it is disgusting to think what an unsuspecting wife and children might be exposed to and have no idea where whatever came from. speculation, imo.

It can also be a dishonest wife/mother.

One needs to really know the person with whom they are intimate. :)

"College students need to pay really close attention to the news reports in the same way they would monitor the weather for an impending storm." says infectious disease expert, Dr. Rachel Cox of the MGH Institute of Health Professions.

"I think it's definitely possible for college campuses to be the next hotspot, it's obviously an area where there's a lot of close contact, living in dorms, and there also tends to be a lot more sexual activity and experimentation and things like that," Dr. Cox said.

“New York state health officials have found indications of additional cases of polio virus in wastewater samples from two different counties, leading them to warn that hundreds of people may be infected with the potentially serious virus.”

WS Thread:

Michigan health officials are tracking 72 confirmed or suspected cases of monkeypox across the state.

The latest numbers come from Monday’s update, which reflects information the state has gathered since Friday.

The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services is tracking these cases and is making information about the cases public.

If you have been exposed to monkeypox then you should contact your local health department about getting vaccinated...

Still only in a small number of people but we know how these things go….

Although I'm fascinated by these new health-related topics and enjoy starting new threads (not sarcasm), I'm going to hold off on this Langya virus outbreak. It sounds quite mild (!) If it starts spreading world-wide, I'll get another new thread going though

Monkeypox is spread like Cowpox...

Cowpox was spread to milkmaids hands..

Cowpox and Monkeypox lesions tend to be self limited.

Neither are STD's but are considered touch contact spread via lesions.

Smallpox is also spread the same way. However smallpox lesions are so numerous that they are also in the mouth. Smallpox becomes airborne when oral lesion exudate is released in saliva.

BTW: Cowpox can be spread via the old smallpox vaccine. Kids with the vaccination scab could spread cowpox to unvaccinated. Maybe that's why my mom told us, "Don't pick at the scab!"

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BecStar