UK - US Diplomat's wife leaves UK after killing Harry Dunn, age 19, Northampton, Sept 2019 *suspended sentence*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If they were ordered back by their employer you are correct that it backfired since it painted her in a bad light. Diplomats have enjoyed immunity from prosecution for decades in nearly every country. It's a pretty broad brush unfortunately leaving those harmed unable to get their justice.

Yeah, this practice of diplomatic immunity needs to end.

Yeah, this practice of diplomatic immunity needs to end.

No one should be above the law EVER especially if their actions harm or kill someone.
I have to answer "yes and no" about ending diplomatic immunity. There are instances where it covers too much, not just as in this case, but for example not being culpable for minor things like parking tickets and driving violations.
On the other hand, not all countries in the world are democracies, with an independent legal system. There are countries where the government arrests people on false accusations, and if diplomats didn't have diplomatic immunity, that could mean that they could be arrested on false accusations, and be kept as hostage against their government.
Here's what happened to a Swedish diplomat in Iran. I don't think he was travelling on a diplomatic passport to Iran, but if there were no diplomatic immunity, instances like this would be much more common.

I have to answer "yes and no" about ending diplomatic immunity. There are instances where it covers too much, not just as in this case, but for example not being culpable for minor things like parking tickets and driving violations.
On the other hand, not all countries in the world are democracies, with an independent legal system. There are countries where the government arrests people on false accusations, and if diplomats didn't have diplomatic immunity, that could mean that they could be arrested on false accusations, and be kept as hostage against their government.
Here's what happened to a Swedish diplomat in Iran. I don't think he was travelling on a diplomatic passport to Iran, but if there were no diplomatic immunity, instances like this would be much more common.

I realise that it is a long-standing tradition that has some merit, especially during times of tension, and at one time was necessary, especially when foreign diplomats were not able to learn the laws of the land that they were visiting. However, ignorance of local laws not an excuse anymore because diplomats can receive training for their work in a foreign nation. With all the travel that happens these days, a government should be able to send a diplomat who can be familiar with the culture.

I think that foreign diplomats should be culpable for parking and driving violations, particularly when it is a common law throughout the nations. No-one gets to park in front of a fire hydrant just because they are a foreign diplomat. They can't claim ignorance because it is a law in their own country as well. If they can't figure out the laws, then they need to hire someone to help navigate daily activities until they know the rules. False accusations are quite another thing, but I expect that countries, in which false allegations are a political stunt to imprison diplomats, don't respect diplomatic immunity anyway. jmo ymmv

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachelle(Ru-shell)
Back