US - Shots fired at Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania as former president is seen with blood across his face, 13 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
11m ago

“Mr. Trump, as a former president and nominee of the Republican party, already received a heightened level of security and I’ve been consistent in my direction of the Secret Service to provide him with every resource, capability and protective measure necessary to ensure his continued safety,” Joe Biden said.

“Second, I’ve directed the head of the Secret Service to review all security measures for…the Republican National Convention, which is scheduled to start tomorrow.

And third, I’ve directed an independent review of national security at yesterday’s rally to assess exactly what happened, and we’ll share the results of that independent review with the American people as well,” Biden said.

14m ago

“We don’t yet have any information about the motive of the shooter. We know who he is. I urge everyone, everyone, please don’t make assumptions about his motives or his affiliations,” said Joe Biden.

“Let the FBI do their job, and their partner agencies do their job. I’ve instructed that this investigation be thorough and swift, and the investigators will have every resource they need to get this done,” he added.

16m ago

“There is no place in America for this kind of violence, or any violence,” said Joe Biden.

“For that matter, assassination attempt is contrary to everything we stand for as a nation, everything. It’s not who we are as a nation. It’s not America, and we cannot allow this to happen. Unity is the most elusive goal of all, but nothing is important than that,” he added.

... and increase Secret Service protection for President Trump acknowledging the many threats he gets against his life everyday and the actual assassination attempt on his life and the threat he faces over the next few months of his campaign.
My understanding is that Mr. Trump has always had his own private security force overseeing and supplementing the Secret Service agents and their operations. I assume they were satisfied with the arrangements since the event was allowed to happen. I look forward to reporting on their role in the security planning and advising Mr. Trump, and why the rooftop used by the shooter was not covered. At this point, I am not able to assess whether the security lapse - which is self-evident in retrospect - was a result of insufficient staffing or poor planning, or both.

Really, both have canceled campaign stops. Are they not comfortable with security being provided by the secret service? Moo
It also could be a consideration for the public who might feel nervous about attending a crowded event and/or consideration to communities who want to review their readiness for the events.
jmo

CNN —
In the wake of the attempted assassination of Donald Trump, there are widespread concerns and questions about how a sniper was able to obtain rooftop access roughly 150 yards from the former president’s position at the podium at an outdoor rally.

Sources have described the shooting as coming from the “three o’clock” position of Trump’s podium location, with shots coming from his right side. Seconds after gunfire rang out, Secret Service counter-assault snipers began shooting the suspect who was found on top of a roof.

Notably, the shooter’s location was outside the security perimeter, raising questions about both the size of the perimeter and efforts to sweep and secure the American Glass Research building, and how the shooter was able to obtain rooftop access.

Law enforcement sources say that part of the aftermath will include a review of whether the Secret Service had enough assets to protect Trump days ahead of officially becoming the Republican presidential nominee and whether procedures were followed to conduct security sweeps of the building that offered a vantage point for the alleged shooter.

“Foundationally, one of the most basic elements of site security, especially a site that’s outside and largely uncontrolled, is (to) eliminate sight lines to this space where the protectee will be either speaking or just occupying,” former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said on CNN’s “State of the Union” Sunday morning. “When you look at that map, it so clearly points to those buildings that are within it, clearly within shooting range.”
I'm going to bounce off this post. I did a little research on what level of protection a former president is provided. Well, it's full protection for himself and his spouse, children under the age of 16. There's no second level of service, actually I don't see where the law states any second level of service for anyone covered by the secret service.

Who is the Secret Service authorized to protect?​

By law, the Secret Service is authorized to protect:

• The president, the vice president, (or other individuals next in order of succession to the Office of the President), the president-elect and vice president-elect
  • The immediate families of the above individuals
  • Former presidents, their spouses, except when the spouse re-marries
  • Children of former presidents until age 16
  • Visiting heads of foreign states or governments and their spouses traveling with them, other distinguished foreign visitors to the United States, and official representatives of the United States performing special missions abroad
  • Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election
  • Other individuals as designated per Executive Order of the President and
  • National Special Security Events, when designated as such by the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security
How long do former presidents receive Secret Service protection after they leave office?

In 1965, Congress authorized the Secret Service (Public Law 89-186) to protect a former president and his/her spouse during their lifetime, unless they decline protection.

Really, both have canceled campaign stops. Are they not comfortable with security being provided by the secret service? Moo
No, I don't think it's fear, but just feeling that political speeches opposing a rival who just underwent an assassination attempt would be in bad taste. The Democrats have also pulled TV political ads for now. Not sure if the Republicans have pulled theirs.

JMO, the Convention will be the safest place on earth. It's in a building, which is much easier to secure and monitor. They've had months to prepare for it. Everyone will have to pass through metal detectors, areas will be restricted, etc. No one will be able to get within several blocks of the place without ID.

My understanding is that Mr. Trump has always had his own private security force overseeing and supplementing the Secret Service agents and their operations. I assume they were satisfied with the arrangements since the event was allowed to happen. I look forward to reporting on their role in the security planning and advising Mr. Trump, and why the rooftop used by the shooter was not covered. At this point, I am not able to assess whether the security lapse - which is self-evident in retrospect - was a result of insufficient staffing or poor planning, or both.
Would you have a link for the former president having his own security? I've never heard this, the secret service protected him from the day he left office.

I do know that Mar-A-Lago has security, but that's for the the property, certainly not at the level a former president would require.
Moo

I'm starting to think a big part of the problem was lack of coordinated communication between the various agencies.

(Of course the biggest problem was a person willing to use violence.)

jmo
I agree with you... we've all seen on here endless times what a disaster it can be with different LE jurisdictions or agencies trying to communicate and work together.

From the above link:

“"There's no place in America for this kind of violence. It's sick," Biden said, adding he had been thoroughly briefed on the matter and planned to talk to Trump. "Everybody must condemn it," Biden said.”

[…]

“Political violence is on the rise in the United States, with most of the deadly attacks coming from the right, experts say.”

In April, Trump shared a video on social media that included an image of Biden bound and restrained in the back of a pickup truck.”

—-

My opinion on the above, everyone, no matter what political affiliation, is under threat. This is not limited to Presidential candidates.

Last edited:
Kohler said he recalled Crooks being targeted for dressing in hunting clothes to school and for "always wearing a mask," even after the COVID-19 pandemic had ended.

Would you have a link for the former president having his own security? I've never heard this, the secret service protected him from the day he left office.

I do know that Mar-A-Lago has security, but that's for the the property, certainly not at the level of former president would require.
Moo
Here's an article from the 2016 campaign, in which Mr. Trump's overlapping campaign security apparatus is described by a knowlegeable source as "extensive to the point of looking dysfunctional."

I'm looking for more recent articles on Trump's fascination with private security and the issue whether the public should be paying for it. Hope this will get your inquiry going!

7 min ago

Biden will address nation from Oval Office tonight

From CNN's Betsy Klein

President Joe Biden will deliver a rare address to the nation from the Oval Office on Sunday evening in the aftermath of the assassination attempt of former President Donald Trump.

“I’ll be speaking more about this tonight at greater length from the Oval Office,” Biden said in brief remarks from the Roosevelt Room on Sunday afternoon.

Biden last addressed the nation on October 20, 2023, following the Hamas’ October 7 attacks on Israel.

I'd rather have a question and answer session about why the system failed?

No questions were answered today.
Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob