US - Shots fired at Donald Trump rally in Pennsylvania as former president is seen with blood across his face, 13 July 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No ideology identified so far, says FBI

Bernd Debusmann Jr
Reporting from Bethel Park, Pennsylvania

The FBI and US Department of Justice - including Attorney General Merrick Garland and FBI Director Christopher Wray - are currently briefing reporters, although they are limited in what they can say amid the ongoing investigation.
FBI Special Agent Kevin Rojek said that it appears the "shooter acted alone" and that there are no ongoing security concerns.
"We have not identified an ideology associated with the subject," he said, warning that the investigation is still in its early stages.
Evidence response teams are still processing the crime scene in Butler, he said, adding that agents are still combing through the suspect's social media and online presence for clues.
The gun, he confirmed, was an AR-style rifle purchased legally. A suspicious device found in the suspect's car is still being examined.
Another FBI official said the incident is also being investigated as a potential act of domestic terrorism.

4m ago

Pennsylvania state police release names of two men injured in Trump rally shooting

The names of two injured men who were shot in the Trump campaign rally attack were made public by state police. They are:

57-year-old David Dutch, of New Kensington, PA, who is currently listed in stable condition.

74-year-old James Copenhaver, of Moon Township, PA. He is also listed in stable condition.

Officials previously released the name of Corey Comperatore, 50, of Sarver, PA, who was shot and killed in the attack. Pennsylvania governor Josh Shapiro called Comperatore a “hero,” and said he was a former fire chief who “dove on his family to protect them last night at this rally” and was killed while protecting them.

FBI: Suspect had no indication of mental health issues

Bernd Debusmann Jr

FBI Special Agent Kevin Rojek just said that, so far, there are no indications that Crooks was suffering from any mental health issues.
The FBI is currently focused on Crooks' motivations, particularly via his social media.
"We have not seen anything threatening," he added. "But it's still very early on."
The FBI is still "working to get access" to Crooks' phone. It is currently being sent to an FBI lab in Quantico, Virginia.
Recent communications have revealed nothing as to his motivations or a larger plan, according to the FBI officials on the call.

I like how transparent they are being. We typically get leaks at this stage, but nothing from investigators themselves.

That phone is going to tell a story.

I don't understand the reaction. The threat isn't any greater today than yesterday or the day before, IMO. It's not like there's a serial killer on the loose, targeting politicians. Anyone thinking of harming knows even more now how it would end for them.
Sometimes copy cat acts tick up after something big happens. JMO

31m ago

AP: Local officer encountered gunman just before he shot towards Trump at rally

This is Lois Beckett, picking up our live news coverage. Amid intense questions over security outside the rally, the Associated Press is reporting that two law enforcement sources say that a local police officer encountered the suspected shooter before he opened fire:

Not long before shots rang out, rallygoers noticed a man climbing to the roof of a nearby building and warned local police, according to two law enforcement officials.

One local police officer climbed to the roof and encountered Thomas Matthew Crooks, who pointed his rifle at the officer. The officer retreated down the ladder, and Crooks quickly took a shot toward Trump, and that’s when Secret Service snipers shot him, said the officials, who spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation.

The Washington Post, citing an interview Butler County Sheriff Michael T. Slupe, reports that “Just before the gunman opened fire, he faced a municipal police officer who wasn’t able to neutralize him.”

While I think that officer was brave and I don't blame any specific officer for not preventing this, I do think it's a massive failure by the SS. No way anyone evil or friend should have been able to climb on that roof or any roof anywhere close to this event. Imagine if this was the sitting president. I'm willing to wager a good guess that this would not happen because the SS guarding the President would never allow anyone to be on a roof anywhere close enough to get a shot at the President.
I would imagine a sitting president has a bigger security detail

8 min ago

FBI says violent political rhetoric is ‘ticking up’ after the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump

BY ERIC TUCKER, ALANNA DURKIN RICHER, ZEKE MILLER, COLLEEN LONG

FBI Deputy Director Paul Abbate says threatening online rhetoric has been “ticking up” since the attempted assassination of former President Donald Trump.

He says people are going online to pose as the shooter, who was killed by U.S. Secret Service.

Abbate says they are aware of the increased activity and monitoring it closely.

10 min ago

FBI has not yet identified any threatening writing, social media posts from Trump rally shooter

BY COLLEEN LONG, ZEKE MILLER, ALANNA DURKIN RICHER, ERIC TUCKER

FBI officials say they believe the Trump rally shooter acted alone.

They have not yet identified an ideology, but they are combing through his social media feeds and the shooter’s weapons. So far, they have not found any threatening writing or social media posts.

FBI officials said they have located a suspicious device and defused it. They have received more than 2,000 tips.

12 min ago

FBI investigating Trump rally attack as attempted assassination and act of domestic terror, but hasn’t identified motive

BY COLLEEN LONG, ERIC TUCKER, ALANNA DURKIN RICHER, ZEKE MILLER

The FBI says it is investigating the Trump rally shooting as an attempted assassination and also an act of domestic terrorism.

The gunman was not previously on the radar screen of the FBI. He’s believed to have acted alone.

The FBI defines domestic terrorism as acts inside the U.S. that are intended to intimidate or coerce civilians or influence government policy.

As an editor, I can say that while the messages are nice, the whole thing is pretty awkwardly written. Sounds like it was written by AI, or that it was translated to English.

I’d think she’d have better writers, but maybe she doesn’t care so much about her statements sounding perfect.
English is a second language for Melania. Her native language is Slovenian.

For an ESL speaker/writer, she did a pretty good job.

I also ran it through ChatGTPZero to make sure. They ruled that 0 out of 29 sentences were likely AI-generated. They gave it a 6% probability.

Like you, I work in the publishing industry, and I've learned to spot AI in many cases. Typically, it's filled with extraneous adjectives and overly formal syntax. Melania's appears to be the writing of an ESL author.

Capture.PNG

He did have private security before he was president. At 120 days prior to the election, candidates are protected by SS.

Former presidents and their spouse are entitled by law to taxpayer funded secret service protection.
Public Law 89-186.

I know it can be a bit confusing. He and his spouse are entitled to SS protection, his children and other family members would need private security and are not covered by the law or otherwise afforded SS protection.

Only active presidents children, regardless of age receive SS protection.

Thanks for this! But my question is not about whether the SS was present. Clearly it was. Does he also have private security as he did during the 2016 campaign? Does anyone know the answer? If so, what did they do to protect Mr. Trump?

This is a video featuring Crooks when he was in high school. He is helping a student understand computer programming. I wish he could have been steered further in this direction. He had opportunities.

Suspect's father legally purchased the rifle used in shooting

NEW

Bernd Debusmann Jr

We've just wrapped up a briefing call with FBI officials involved in the investigation, who were able to provide some clarity despite the many questions still swirling.
In the call, the officials confirmed that the rifle used in the Butler shooting was purchased legally by Crooks' father.
At the moment, however, it is not clear whether Crooks was given the weapon, or whether he took it without his father's permission.
The family is cooperating with the investigation, according to FBI Special Agent Kevin Rojek.
The rifle has been sent to an FBI lab in Virginia for processing, along with Crooks' phone and a suspicious device found in his vehicle.

16 min ago

Discussions underway about adding more federal law enforcement agents in Milwaukee for RNC

From CNN's Whitney Wild

A law enforcement source familiar with planning for the Republican Nation Convention told CNN on Sunday there are discussions underway about adding more federal law enforcement agents to post positions in light of the recent shooting.

However, the perimeter is unlikely to change, the source said, noting preparations for the RNC have been underway for a year and a half.

The source added that there have been discussions about adding additional security for high-profile GOP members as well.

The source said events, such as dinners, may be hard to police as they are outside the perimeter associated with the RNC and do not have the same level of security.

The source noted this concern had also been discussed before Saturday’s shooting.

35 min ago

Shooter was a dietary aid at a nursing and rehabilitation center, facility confirms

From CNN’s Yahya Abou-Ghazala

Marcie Grimm, the administrator of Bethel Park Skilled Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, confirmed to CNN that Thomas Matthew Crooks, the man identified as the shooter at the Donald Trump rally, was a dietary aide at the facility.

“We are shocked and saddened to learn of his involvement as Thomas Matthew Crooks performed his job without concern and his background check was clean,” Grimm said.
Grimm added that the facility is cooperating with law enforcement and that “Our thoughts and prayers go out to Former President Trump and the victims impacted by this terrible tragedy.”

Thanks for this! But my question is not about whether the SS was present. Clearly it was. Does he also have private security as he did during the 2016 campaign? Does anyone know the answer? If so, what did they do to protect Mr. Trump?
Reporting is that he had secret service protection, supplemented by local LE. I can’t fathom him having personal security there, as that’s precisely what the Secret Service provides.

They would only allow their people to be in that inner ring.

NEW: Thomas Crooks was rejected from the Bethel Park high school rifle team, per CBS News
A former member of the team who graduated with Crooks said he tried out freshman year. “He never returned to tryouts for the remainder of high school.”
Classmate said Crooks was a bad shot.
“He was not a member of the rifle team, he did not make even the junior varsity team after trying out freshman year. He never returned to tryouts for the remainder of high school.”

Hmmm.....kid couldn't make the rifle team in high school and then attempts to assassinate a major politician in a place where that politician is very popular.

The kid's parents are both mental health professionals and he commits a crime (with his dad's gun) that will surely devastate his parents and put national attention on them.

I'm thinking this was an "eff-U" to people in his life more than anything political. He could be like a different version of Hinkley who shot Reagan but not for political reasons.

I could be wrong, of course. Just brainstorming.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME
Back