US Virgin Is - Sarm Joan Lillian Heslop, 41, British, aboard vessel Siren Song, St. John, 7 Mar 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Authorities know Bane's whereabouts and he remains in the U.S. Virgin Islands area, said Derima. Bane is "free to move about" but that could change once authorities are able to talk to him about details in the woman's disappearance, the police spokesman said.

"This is still presently a missing persons case," Derima said.

Police looking for missing woman in Virgin Islands want to search boat

Authorities know Bane's whereabouts and he remains in the U.S. Virgin Islands area, said Derima. Bane is "free to move about" but that could change once authorities are able to talk to him about details in the woman's disappearance, the police spokesman said.

"This is still presently a missing persons case," Derima said.

Police looking for missing woman in Virgin Islands want to search boat
So they're seeking a search warrant according to that article. I wonder if that means they've applied for one.

At this point the possibility of finding a body washed up on shore is considered highly unlikely. That window of possibility is gone,' said a well-placed source.

The areas being searched include Steven Cay, a scrub-covered, rocky island about half a mile west of St. John. Nobody lives on the low-lying strip of land but it's a popular tourist destination for scuba diving, kayaking and snorkeling.

Cops are also searching the north side of St. John, from Salomon Beach to Watermelon Cay, another tiny island, both of which can only be reached via a small boat or by hiking through the Virgin Islands National Park.

Aside from the three main islands of St. John, St. Thomas and St. Croix, the U.S. Virgin Islands is made up of 50 other surrounding islands and cays - much of which are uninhabited.

'Many of the areas they are searching are not accessible by land at all. There are very few people over there, just the park rangers' homes and a few small tiki-type bars,' the source added.

With no legal restrictions on his movements he sailed away from Frank Bay, St. John last Wednesday evening, hours after refusing to answer questions put to him by a DailyMail.com reporter.

Sources say he is still in the US Virgin Islands but is hopping from island to island while he looks for a marina with a vacant boat slip.

Virgin Islands police take search for missing British woman Sarm Heslop inland

rsbm
Sources say he is still in the US Virgin Islands but is hopping from island to island while he looks for a marina with a vacant boat slip.

Virgin Islands police take search for missing British woman Sarm Heslop inland
What would be the reasons for that? Repairs? Would he still be living on it in the boat slip? (had to look up what it was!)

Boat Slip – This is a volume of water 20 feet long 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep as measured at normal high water, and located adjacent to a structure which watercraft may be secured. Boat Slip definition - Law Insider

What would be the reasons for that? Repairs? Would he still be living on it in the boat slip? (had to look up what it was!)

Boat Slip – This is a volume of water 20 feet long 6 feet wide and 2 feet deep as measured at normal high water, and located adjacent to a structure which watercraft may be secured. Boat Slip definition - Law Insider

A boat slip is basically a parking spot for your boat at a marina, etc...(see attached) Since he could drop anchor many places and stay on the boat, my guess would be that he wants to find a place to secure the boat and leave it. Just my opinion. However, many people live on their boats at the marina but it seems he's trying to stay clear of the public so that wouldn't make as much sense.

yachtportsyasmarina-1802x1201.jpeg

Last edited:
A boat slip is basically a parking spot for your boat at a marina, etc...(see attached) Since he could drop anchor many places and stay on the boat, my guess would be that he wants to find a place to secure the boat and leave it. Just my opinion. However, many people live on their boats at the marina but it seems he's trying to stay clear of the public so that wouldn't make as much sense.

yachtportsyasmarina-1802x1201.jpeg

I thought it was odd too, and slips aren’t cheap. I am assuming that is what he told authorities. I don’t believe him.

I thought it was odd too, and slips aren’t cheap. I am assuming that is what he told authorities. I don’t believe him.
Would docking the boat at the slip be something someone would do if they wanted to leave the area for awhile, say fly to Michigan? Just wondering what boat owners do with their boats when they travel.

jmo

Would docking the boat at the slip be something someone would do if they wanted to leave the area for awhile, say fly to Michigan? Just wondering what boat owners do with their boats when they travel.

jmo

Yes. You would want to dock your boat and secure everything if you're leaving. However, many people live on their boats at the marina. I just don't think that's the case here.

I'm wondering if there might be any damage in the boats fixtures and fittings, or furnishings, scuffing, staining, or something broken.

Unfortunately the boat's owner now has had over 3 weeks to repair any visible damage – assuming he could obtain necessary materials without their provider noticing his purchases and spreading the news.

So....we now have a situation whereby several different law enforcement bodies / agencies are involved in an alleged missing persons case - the FBI, UK law enforcement (according to Sarm's friends/family search FB page), USVIPD and allegedly at least one private investigator (according to The Times article). Oh yes, and then we have David Cattie, Ghislaine Maxwell's lawyer, who incidentally is also being investigated in the USVI (GM, that is).

What on earth is going on here? I am trying hard not to be conspiratorial about this.

Here is some more info on the case of David Cattie's client, captain Rick Smith, who was cleared in 2019 of seaman's manslaughter in the USVI.

In this case, one of the captain's crew got ill, attacked him (he had allegedly been hallucinating and heavily medicated) and tried to take control over the boat whilst sailing in 10 foot seas. There was a physical altercation on board, and the crewman fell/jumped overboard, bumping his head on the way down. He never re-surfaced, and the crew only looked briefly, before sailing on, and - according to other reports - only calling authorities late morning the next day. Sounds familiar.

Maine captain recalls night of crewman's death, manslaughter trial

More updates in the New York Post..

Other violations for which the American man was cited included failure to provide a certificate of documentation for the vessel and safety equipment issues, the news outlet reported, noting that citations are written notices of non-compliance that do not count as a criminal record.

Sarm Heslop's beau charged with obstructing officers: report

Here is some more info on the case of David Cattie's client, captain Rick Smith, who was cleared in 2019 of seaman's manslaughter in the USVI.

In this case, one of the captain's crew got ill, attacked him (he had allegedly been hallucinating and heavily medicated) and tried to take control over the boat whilst sailing in 10 foot seas. There was a physical altercation on board, and the crewman fell/jumped overboard, bumping his head on the way down. He never re-surfaced, and the crew only looked briefly, before sailing on, and - according to other reports - only calling authorities late morning the next day. Sounds familiar.

Maine captain recalls night of crewman's death, manslaughter trial

Worth noting here that Smith is a fellow charter captain in the USVI, and will undoubtedly be well known to Bane.

MOO.

I guess it’s good to know that LE are doing more searches on land, but seems to be spread in different areas. So I’m wondering what info they are working on to be doing searches on Salomon Beach and then along the North coast at WaterLemon Cay and then on the West side. They must have different sources giving them info.

Last edited:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/14421741/sarm-heslop-boyfriend-ex-wife-attack/

Snipped and condensed by me

She said: “Ryan’s personality changed once we got married...
it was like he flipped a switch.
He suddenly became a different person ... he was a total Jekyll and Hyde character.
He would have a good week, and then all of a sudden he changed".

Is it just me or did anyone else think drugs (legal or otherwise) when they read that? MOO

Boyfriend of Brit who vanished off yacht was jailed for 'beating up ex'

She said: “Ryan’s personality changed once we got married...
it was like he flipped a switch.
He suddenly became a different person ... he was a total Jekyll and Hyde character.
He would have a good week, and then all of a sudden he changed".

Is it just me or did anyone else think drugs (legal or otherwise) when they read that? MOO
Possibly drugs, but IMO that's just the nature of an abusive relationship, they oscillate between abuse and making nice. If they never became nice again and never promised to change, the victim would leave. The marriage lasted quite a few years, even after the criminal charges previously detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member