GUILTY UT - Breezy Otteson, 17, & Riley Powell, 18, found deceased, Tooele, 30 Dec 2017 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Evil! He belongs down in the hell-hole he put them in
[emoji58]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

I knew Morgan many years ago and met some members of her family.

The good news is that her son's father is actually not the husband who died in 2016; he is alive and has had custody for quite awhile. Her son is a sweet, adorable kid and I am hoping that the social media showing him looking happy and well cared for in recent months is accurate.

Morgan has suffered from bipolar for a long, long time (maybe other things too but I don't know). She has a long history of struggling but seems like things got much worse in the last two years, judging by Facebook only. She had a stillborn son at some point with the husband who died in 2016. She had a significant head injury as a teenager and was mentally much different after that BUT her mom definitely had some mental illness too and so does one of her half-sisters who has a different mom so her issues are probably multi-faceted. When I knew her I liked her very much but it was always obvious her life wasn't going to be easy. She was not doing drugs then and I don't think when her son was very young either, so I'm sure that only made things worse.

There are some rumors coming out now that perhaps the recent deaths of her husband, her boyfriend, and her mother were not suicides, accidents, and natural causes as were originally reported. Several former friends have been all over SM talking about how horrible her recent behavior and lying has been.

:(

Welcome to Websleuths! You've got my attention regarding the other deaths .

I knew Morgan many years ago and met some members of her family.

The good news is that her son's father is actually not the husband who died in 2016; he is alive and has had custody for quite awhile. Her son is a sweet, adorable kid and I am hoping that the social media showing him looking happy and well cared for in recent months is accurate.

Thank you for posting. Her son is adorable and she seemed a loving mother at the time she made the posts, which were a few years ago.

I'm relieved to hear the son is safe and probably wasn't exposed to the living situation at the Baum household.

Morgan has suffered from bipolar for a long, long time (maybe other things too but I don't know). She has a long history of struggling but seems like things got much worse in the last two years, judging by Facebook only. She had a stillborn son at some point with the husband who died in 2016. She had a significant head injury as a teenager and was mentally much different after that BUT her mom definitely had some mental illness too and so does one of her half-sisters who has a different mom so her issues are probably multi-faceted. When I knew her I liked her very much but it was always obvious her life wasn't going to be easy. She was not doing drugs then and I don't think when her son was very young either, so I'm sure that only made things worse.

There are some rumors coming out now that perhaps the recent deaths of her husband, her boyfriend, and her mother were not suicides, accidents, and natural causes as were originally reported. Several former friends have been all over SM talking about how horrible her recent behavior and lying has been.

:(

It seemed that there was an unbearable amount of tragedy in a relatively short period of time: the stillbirth, the death of her husband, the loss of their dog (which may seem more suspicious now), and the death of her mother. She seems to have lost (or perhaps surrendered) custody of her son not long afterward, from what you've posted. Even recognizing all of that sorrow, it's still hard for me to reconcile that with her interaction with the family and friends of the two murdered teens.

Empathy is easily dismissed as more information comes out about the deaths of Breezy and Riley. I'll just say as speculation only: Baum killing them over anger/jealousy about a previous alleged romantic bond between Riley and Morgan plus a controlling personality makes sense, not in an "I understand" way, but in a "That happens too often" way. However, if anything in the lurid NY Post article is accurate about the sequence of the deaths and Baum thinking Breezy was pregnant ... to me, that sounds more like two people, Morgan and Baum, being active participants, and jealousy/anger being a motivating force for both. MOO.

Hmmmm, ok.

Consideration and insights perhaps from this post as to what the defense will fly... most appropriate for the mitigation phase after she is found guilty.

Imho

I don't give a d*mn of her background to consider any excuses why a normal person, or even somebody that has mitigating circumstances, to see somebody tied up in the back of a truck, see them stabbed, see them thrown down a mine shaft.

No excuse for this. Many people have hardship, tragedy, and dysfunction in their background and somehow manage to be decent people.

Man accused of killing teens at Eureka mine appears in court

PROVO, Utah – The man accused of killing two teens and dumping their bodies in an abandoned mine in Eureka appeared in court Thursday.
03e47b62ddfd2479d99fab6b5630b74a.jpg

The hearing for 41-year-old Jerrod Baum was brief, lasting only a few minutes.

Attorneys determined there is so much information and evidence for the defense to digest, Baum’s next court appearance won’t be until Aug. 1.

[...]

http://fox13now.com/2018/04/26/man-accused-of-killing-teens-at-eureka-mine-appears-in-court/

From the Justice For Breezy and Riley FB page:
Justice For Breezy And Riley

On July 5th, 2018, an amendment was made to the charges filed against Morgan Henderson in the Fourth District Court.

An additional 28 charges of obstructing justice were filed against Morgan.

All 30 offenses are for obstructing justice during the investigation of the disappearance of Breezy and Riley.

The filing documents summarized state:

OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE, a second degree felony, in violation of Utah
Code Ann 76-8-306, in the State of Utah, the
defendant, Morgan Reannon Henderson, with intent to hinder, delay, or prevent the
investigation, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of any person
regarding the aggravated murder of Riley Powell and Brelynne Otteson did:
(1) (b) prevent by deception, any person from performing any act that might aid in the
discovery, apprehension, prosecution, conviction, or punishment of any person;
(c) conceal any item or other thing;
(d) present anything known by the actor to be false;
(e) harbor or conceal a person;
(f) provide a person with a means of avoiding discovery or apprehension; or
(j) provide false information regarding a suspect, a witness, the conduct constituting an
offense, or any other material aspect of the investigation.

These new charges come just days before Morgan's scheduled preliminary trial.

The trial has been cancelled due to the new charges filed.

More updates will be provided as they become available.

On July 5th, 2018, an amendment was made to the charges filed against Morgan Henderson in the Fourth District Court.

An additional 28 charges of obstructing justice were filed against Morgan.

All 30 offenses are for obstructing justice during the investigation of the disappearance of Breezy and Riley.

GOOD!

I would stop in for the hearing but I'm in court in another courtroom at 10am.

It's a special set waiver hearing this time.

A special set hearing is one that is anticipated to be potentially lengthy and involved. The court wants to ensure it is heard that day. It is the only case schedule at that time, unlike the regular cattle call style we are accustomed to.

For example we had a preliminary hearing that was expected to be more than 3 hours, so it had to be a special set. It ended up being 8 hours.

This hearing will be the first real hearing where there is any discussion. If either side is open to a plea deal that may be mentioned. Whether they will hold a prelim will be discussed. It will give us an idea of the tone the case will proceed on.

Oral arguments about whether the defense will be present when a swab is tested will be Sept. 7 at the Fourth District Courthouse in Provo.
Chad Grunander, deputy Utah County attorney, argued to Judge Christine Johnson on Wednesday that the request for the defense to be present when the swab is tested is based on a hypothetical situation that negligence could happen during testing. Johnson said during the hearing that everyone is anxious for the testing to be complete.
Tom Means, the Utah County lead public defender, said in court during a waiver hearing Wednesday morning that he has received more evidence this week and expects to receive more.
A preliminary hearing date for the case has not been set.
Date set for evidence arguments in case of Eureka man accused of killing teens

They explain more above the court mentioned in my previous post on the Justice for Breezy and Riley FB page.
Here is a link to the post about court:
Justice For Breezy And Riley

ETA: Amanda Hunt (Breezy's aunt) also answers questions in the comments on that post.

Last edited:
Hours after U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions joined Utah’s top federal prosecutor in calling on Congress to repair a law meant to keep violent career criminals locked up — pointing to the recent deaths of two teens in Utah County as evidence — one of Utah’s senators introduced a bill to do just that.
Sessions, speaking in Little Rock on Wednesday, said a 2015 U.S. Supreme Court decision that cut part of the Armed Career Criminal Act for being too vague has been “devastating for Americans across the country," and said law enforcement is missing a crucial tool.
Orrin Hatch, A.G. Jeff Sessions point to the deaths of Utah teens found in a mine shaft as a reason to ‘fix’ the law that let their alleged killer free

Suspect in murder of two Juab County teens made 1,000 calls from jail; discussed murders, warrant states | Fox-13 Salt Lake City
POSTED 4:40 PM, SEPTEMBER 25, 2018, BY TAYLOR HARTMAN, UPDATED AT 08:17PM, SEPTEMBER 25, 2018

Video & article at link

While in the Utah County Jail, Jerrod Baum, who is accused of killing Juab County teens Brelynne "Breezy" Otteson and Riley Powell, has made 1,000 phone calls and has discussed specific details about the homicides, a recently unsealed search warrant states.

During the 1,000 phone calls Baum has made from the jail, the warrant stated that he has contacted one individual multiple times. In conversations between the two, there has been a disclaimer at the beginning of the call, stating that the calls are recorded and monitored by law enforcement officials.

Despite that disclaimer, the warrant states that Baum has discussed "many specific details" regarding the homicide case. As a result, law enforcement officials requested a search warrant for the Facebook account of the woman Baum was speaking with, in hopes that more information on the deaths of Breezy and Riley will be revealed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shannyp
Back