Found Deceased UT - Chenoa Plank, 26, & Benjamin Magalis, 24, Campers, Wasatch Co., 11 Nov 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You should be able to grab the canoe, and hold on, or even right it, unless the weather was super windy.

Assuming you didn't go into shock from the cold water, or whack your head on the gunnel, or get tangled in a piece of gear and dragged down. Or panic.

It's certainly a survivable situation, but it's also a situation that many people drown in every year.

I haven't read yet if other campers or people fishing noticed this couple while they were there.

The Sheriff stated that their camping gear was still in the car. I had initially wondered whether they had taken the gear with them in the canoe but evidently it was all in the vehicle, in the parking lot.

That would mean, in my opinion, that whatever occurred, happened shortly after they parked the car. They hadn't spent one night there yet as the camping gear hadn't been unloaded.

Excerpt from news article:

"Friday morning Wasatch County deputies found the woman’s vehicle in a parking lot near the reservoir at Chicken Creek. WCSO said all of the couple’s camping gear was still in the car, but a canoe was missing."

Sheriff’s officials searching for couple who went missing while camping in Wasatch County

But if they both went in because the canoe capsized then the dog went in along with them. Yet the dog didn't succumb to hypothermia. He must not have had to swim far to make it to the island. The canoe couldn't have been that from land. Canoe was found near the island upside down? Or on the island upside down?

The dog had a life vest on, which would mean that it was not at a high risk of drowning. I posted an article by Mario Vittone that discussed the greater chance that one would drown before hypothermia set in. Remember that the cold water shock, taking your breath away, can lead to drowning because of the gasp.

JMO
I have an aluminum john boat and often go out fishing a few times a year.

I am very safety consciounce and even though I tend to be safe and carry a life vest with me I have found that I usually end up taking it off and putting it near me. I know its stupid not to have it on at all times but when fishing and casting a rod and reel they do feel bulky and can affect trying to cast a rod and reel.

I often see many boaters on the water doing the same and not actually having their life vests on even though I am sure they too have one in their boats.

Just wanted to share the reality of being on the water and what I personally witness and do myself.

I haven't read yet if other campers or people fishing noticed this couple while they were there.

The Sheriff stated that their camping gear was still in the car. I had initially wondered whether they had taken the gear with them in the canoe but evidently it was all in the vehicle, in the parking lot.

Sheriff’s officials searching for couple who went missing while camping in Wasatch County

Another quote from the article. Bolded by me. "The sheriff’s office estimates the water is somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit, “there’s a number of different factors and hypothermia is one of them. This dog made it and there’s hope,” said Rigby."

They may have been planning to camp at a campground rather than on the reservoir, going out for a paddle and setting up camp later on in the afternoon or evening. I know I have done that many a time--- enjoy the water before doing the camp set up, especially since the sun is setting earlier and earlier.

They may have been planning to camp at a campground rather than on the reservoir, going out for a paddle and setting up camp later on in the afternoon or evening. I know I have done that many a time--- enjoy the water before doing the camp set up, especially since the sun is setting earlier and earlier.

I agree.
I have to wonder if maybe it was getting a little late so they may have decided to go for a paddle before setting up camp for the night. They may have not had much with them other than some paddles.

Another quote from the article. Bolded by me. "The sheriff’s office estimates the water is somewhere between 30 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit, “there’s a number of different factors and hypothermia is one of them. This dog made it and there’s hope,” said Rigby."

Oh that is cold. That certainly reduces their survival hopes from when we thought it was 55F. Not good.

Oh that is cold. That certainly reduces their survival hopes from when we thought it was 55F. Not good.

Yeah that is a heck of a lot colder than that other map link of the Utah Lake. Maybe Strawberry Reservoir is in a much colder area or maybe that Utah Lake map link was not accurate with their statistics.

Assuming you didn't go into shock from the cold water, or whack your head on the gunnel, or get tangled in a piece of gear and dragged down. Or panic.

It's certainly a survivable situation, but it's also a situation that many people drown in every year.

Dear Carbuff,

I agree - it's the cold shock response that is the most imminent danger.

There are so many variables to consider in their situation. How much experience did they had paddling and most importantly were they wearing their life jackets and did they have them on properly? Just wearing a life jacket which is not closed and tied can come off during panic from the cold water.

If they had low body fat and were in super shape, they would require more buoyancy in their life jackets to stay afloat longer.

Excerpt from (below) article:

1. COLD SHOCK RESPONSE
    Within three minutes of immersion:
    • Gasping, hyperventilation and panic.
    • If not wearing a life jacket, a higher risk of drowning.
  2. COLD INCAPACITATION
    Within 30 minutes of immersion:
    • Cooling of arms and legs impairs sensation and function regardless of swimming ability.
    • If not wearing a life jacket, a higher risk of drowning.
  3. IMMERSION HYPOTHERMIA
    After at least 30 minutes of immersion:
    • Gradual cooling of the body’s core temperature eventually results in loss of useful consciousness.
    • If wearing a life jacket, survival time may be extended
Cold Water Immersion Safety Tips from U.S. Coast Guard -BoatBeat

The following article provides some information concerning percentage of body fat as relates to life jackets:

Excerpt:

"Approximately 80% of the human body is water, thus will not weigh you down (has no weight) in water. Additionally, bodies on average have 15% fat, which is lighter than water. There are other factors that play a part, such as lung size, clothing and whether the water is calm or rough, but those two are the major factors. In general, the more physically fit you are (the less fat on your body), the more buoyancy you will need."

"Meaning, a typical 200 lb person weighs 10 lbs in the water. Thus a TYPE III vest rated at minimum 15.5 lbs will be more than adequate. A lean person might have only 10% (20 lbs of fat), thus weighing an additional 10 lbs in the water and needing a higher buoyancy of 20 lbs."

Understanding Buoyancy Ratings for a Personal Flotation Device (PFD) Life Vest

Im not sure if this is the same "Chicken Creek" mentioned where he was found but I do see it labeled on this Strawberry Reservoir map. Its up in the northern part of the lake.

There is an island close and a little southwest of Chicken Creek area so I do think that is probably the right location.

i-Boating : Free Marine Navigation Charts & Fishing Maps

So sad, I was hoping for a different ending but when I heard how cold the water was I began thinking survival was unlikely.

I love canoeing in the late fall and in winter, but cold water canoeing is best done with a group. There is safety in numbers, and cold water can be deadly in a short amount of time.

Even if they had life jackets on hypothermia and shock set in very quickly.

Sympathy to the families.

Wasatch County Sheriff's Office

Search and Rescue crews have recovered the body of one person, an adult male, from Strawberry Reservoir. It appears the victim may have drowned while canoeing near Chicken Creek West. The State Medical Examiner's Office is investigating the death and will determine the official cause of death.

The victim, Benjamin S. Magalis, was 24 years of age and from Goodhue, Minnesota.

Mr. Magalis was reportedly camping with Chenoa L. Plank, a 26 year old woman from Sugar House, earlier in the week. Both individuals reportedly worked at a local ski resort.

Search and Rescue crews will continue their search tomorrow morning.

Ms. Plank's dog, Hazel, a Heller, was rescued by Wasatch County Search and Rescue yesterday and reunited with family.

We are deeply saddened for the Magalis family and everyone involved. We appreciate all of the Search and Rescue Teams, including those from Wasatch and Summit Counties, the Department of Public Safety, and Utah State Parks for their hard work and sacrifices. We also appreciate our EMS crew, dispatchers, and law enforcement for their professionalism and skill during this difficult situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
N0ShytSherlock
Back