Found Deceased UT - Elizabeth Laguna Salgado, 26, Provo, 16 Apr 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
She texted a relative to request a ride around 1:30 p.m. Thursday, but never responded when he asked her what time she'd like to be picked up.

-------------------------------

One of Salgado's uncles, who lives in California, reported her missing Friday.

http://www.greenfieldreporter.com/view/story/7e4e0741b4bd4a93bc8e864e7d7e2bc9/UT--Missing-Woman

I wonder why the Uncle in Utah who she texted for a ride, didn't report her missing?
Wouldn't it be easier than the Uncle in California doing it?
Maybe the California Uncle speaks English and the Utah one does not?

I just noticed that so I thought I'd point it out. :dunno:

I noticed that too. What did the UT uncle do when Elizabeth didn't return his text?

I noticed that too. What did the UT uncle do when Elizabeth didn't return his text?

Absolutely valid question. He may have been the last person to have any contact with her...he needs to be looked in to.

Story.jpg

"We are so worried about her," said Rudemberth Salgado, Elizabeth's uncle. The uncle was scheduled to meet with Elizabeth Thursday afternoon to take her to the grocery store. "I called and called but there was no answer," said Salgado.

He said Elizabeth who is from Mexico recently finished her LDS mission there and planned to study in Utah. She was learning english at the Nomen Global School.

Elizabeth is about 5'4", weighing about 120 pounds with long black hair and brown eyes.

Her uncle said Elizabeth had been harassed by an unknown male at a restaurant where she was employed. "He kept asking her for a date and she kept telling him no," said Salgado. "We don't know if he had anything to do with her disappearance." But a spokesman for the Provo police department said that lead went nowhere. "We did speak with a couple of men but all they said was they asked her out on a date and she said no and that was it," said Lt. Brandon Post.

http://www.good4utah.com/story/d/st...ut-missing-woman/22110/zuElZe9ApUeETKYF4nzObg

BBM

First of all, if I was 20 years younger, I would have asked her out on a date too. I mean, look at her ! Boys are boys, I doubt any of them thought their request for a date would wind them up under hot lights and the mad glare of detectives. I grew up in Texas, and my folks made me learn both English and Spanish, even though I'm white.

That being said......... I think what happened here is that yes, she did call for a ride, but in the meantime she came across someone who was fluent in spanish, someone she could communicate with.........and that person is the one we are all looking for. A predator.

Anybody that has ever been overseas knows that being in a foreign country where no one speaks your language is very frustrating and isolating. You migrate towards Americans or people who speak english. In her case, it would be the opposite, she would migrate towards people that could speak spanish or Tex-mex. A sense of familiarity with her homeland would cause her to trust this person a little more, even though it may have been a total stranger to her.

Last time I checked, Utah isn't a big draw for Mexican-Americans to live in, unlike California, Arizona, or New Mexico for example. She would have been limited to the number of people that could have communicated freely with her in a situation where she needed a ride. As is the case with most of these predators that we see, she was somewhat vulnerable and out of her element, as well as on foot. This made her the perfect target.

Hopefully, she just ran across a good looking mexican guy that she fell head over heels for, and she'll show back up sometime soon.

I think this has a lot more serious overtones than that though. The lack of communication, the sudden disappearance, the amount of time that has passed........it all adds up to her being taken advantage by someone she felt she could trust. Unfortunately, I think it is going to end up being someone from her own homeland that took advantage of her.

I don't think she would accept a ride or get into a car with someone she couldn't communicate with.

This is going to sound bad no matter how I word it, so I'm sorry in advance.
In general there are not a whole lot of minorities in Provo.
(Though there are more than other places in Utah County because it's a college town. That is true.)

However there are a few lines of work that you will find people fluent in Spanish.
There are many yard work companies and fast food companies that have a lot of Spanish speaking workers.

She was also going to a language school... so it is very likely someone at school spoke fluent Spanish.
Given her very quick disappearance after leaving the school (not responding to the Uncle at 1:30.)
I would look at those who speak fluent Spanish and who she would have recognized from school.
Especially people who have a vehicle or live in the immediate area (close enough to take her to their house.)
Also, anyone who lives at Branbury as this would have given them an excellent reason to offer her a ride... living at the same complex.
(Though it is a huge complex by the way.) :twocents:

Utah is not where I would go, from Mexico...but she have not gotten to choose if she was on a scholarship of some sort. It must be quite the transition for her. Does she speak English at all?

I hope this beautiful woman will be found safe but it doesn't look good so far. From her facebook page, I can see that she is well loved by many people. I find it a bit odd that a Mexican lady belongs to the Mormon religion. Most of the Mexicans that I know are Catholic and the rest are something like Baptist/Methodist, etc. I believe the Mormon mission trip usually lasts a year, right? Did any others that had been on the same mission trip end up in Provo where she was? There are so many beautiful and nice young women going missing these days that it is frightening and depressing, as many don't come home safe. I hope she is alive and well somewhere and that she will come home soon.

Girls serve an 18 month mission for the LDS church. This kindof makes sense on her FB page. Her last visible post for me is April 2013 then skips to Dec 2014.

This is going to sound bad no matter how I word it, so I'm sorry in advance.
In general there are not a whole lot of minorities in Provo.
(Though there are more than other places in Utah County because it's a college town. That is true.)

However there are a few lines of work that you will find people fluent in Spanish.
There are many yard work companies and fast food companies that have a lot of Spanish speaking workers.

She was also going to a language school... so it is very likely someone at school spoke fluent Spanish.
Given her very quick disappearance after leaving the school (not responding to the Uncle at 1:30.)
I would look at those who speak fluent Spanish and who she would have recognized from school.
Especially people who have a vehicle or live in the immediate area (close enough to take her to their house.)
Also, anyone who lives at Branbury as this would have given them an excellent reason to offer her a ride... living at the same complex.
(Though it is a huge complex by the way.) :twocents:

Good post. I agree. To me, it looks like she accepted a ride. Since she turned down some offers of dates at her workplace, she isn't the type who would accept a ride from just anyone, but only from someone she trusted.

My eyes are looking at the uncle, I'm sad to say, but it could be someone from school, apartment, church, or a co-worker. I'm not thinking this was a grab from a total stranger off the street.

Volunteers plan search for missing Provo woman

---------------------------------

Volunteers plan to search along the Provo River and other areas of interest around the city for Elizabeth Elena Laguna-Salgado, starting at 4 p.m., according to a Facebook event to help coordinate the search. The river is close to her work and her apartment, and is a route she might have taken between the two, said the search's organizer Alex Villalobos.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/2435387-155/volunteers-plan-search-for-missing-provo

Facebook Event Page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1583314761957999/

Volunteers search Provo River area for missing woman

--------------------------------

According to her uncle, Salgado moved to Provo a month ago, after her mission. He says she is quiet and religious, enjoying a chance to get out an exercise. According to him, she studied industrial engineering in Mexico and was in Utah studying english so she could apply her technical skills in the United States.

Salgado was last seen at the Nomen Global School. Her uncle assumes she was heading to the Branbury Apartments where she lived.

“Saturday we’re asking for the public’s help, come out at 9:00 AM, we’re going to meet at the Covey Center,” said Sr. Officer Kreston Basom with the Provo Police Department.
Joining the effort to raise awareness on Friday, Elizabeth and Ed Smart are holding a joint press conference with the family and police.

http://fox13now.com/2015/04/23/volunteers-search-provo-river-area-for-missing-woman/

The uncle seems to be the one spearheading the search efforts and pleading for help from the community. Sort of clouds the theory that he may be somehow responsible. At least they are circling the wagons and beginning to take the search efforts to an intensive level.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be some sort of a snatch and grab in broad daylight. I haven't heard or seen anything about them reviewing video recordings from that area either, although I assume they probably are. Somebody had to have seen something, this was in the middle of the day in a busy area of town.

The part about them searching along the river banks is always alarming. I don't know what it is about water and missing persons, but they sure do seem to find each other a lot lately.

It's a busy area of town... but there are a lot of Pedestrians since it's a college town.
Unless she was obviously in distress, people may not notice her.
So yes, if she was literally snatched off the street someone might notice.
If she just got into a car, they may not.

Also, that area of town has a lot of older businesses. (Mortuary has been there at least 50 years.)
I am not sure how many of them would have cameras that could see the street. :twocents:

I'm still unclear on exactly what path they think she would have taken to end up near the river.
(Other than her apartments are near the river.) However, I don't walk around Provo, at all.
I'm guessing there are probably back paths to get back to Branbury.
I see so many students on the main roads, I just figured she went that way. :dunno:

I was operating under the assumption she disappeared quickly after leaving the school.
Since she didn't respond to her Uncle's text message... but the river is 30+ minutes walk away. :dunno:

I think this is going to end up being somebody that either attended that same school or had a reason to cross paths with her while she was attending it. Whatever the case, her uncle stated on this (Facebook page ?) that she had some guy that was bothering her, but she didn't want to go with him. I got the impression that this information was part of the texting that was going on between Elizabeth and her uncle on the same day she vanished.

I know there was also talk about a couple of guys asking her out at the place she worked, but I'm thinking these may be two separate events.

The link below is where I obtained this information, from her uncle.

http://inspirationalpowers.blogspot.com/2015/04/help-us-find-elizabeth-elena-laguna.html

Just popping in real quick. My understanding is that Elizabeth lived at the Branbury apts. in Provo. My daughter lived there for a couple of years. They are LDS code of conduct housing for students. They are also in an area prone to sexual assaults, along the river trail that runs along the back of the apartments, and on the apartment grounds. IIRC, this trail goes to BYU. It would be interesting to know if Elizabeth took up walking this route. She would be new enough to the area, she would not know to stay away from the trail. A couple of years back a resident of these apartments was attacked on the trail, raped, beaten and left for dead. HTH.

"I'm afraid something bad happened to her," said Rudemberth Salgado, uncle of Elizabeth who goes by Elena. He thinks she may have been kidnapped given that she only moved to the U.S. four weeks ago from Mexico and didn't have any friends yet.

Plus, Salgado said his niece expressed that a man had asked her out and became upset when she refused his advances. At this point, the kidnapping theory is all speculation since he and her extended family in Provo have no idea what happened to her.

According to Salgado, he last heard from his niece via text on Thursday when she asked if he would take her grocery shopping. Later that day she didn't respond to his texts.

Lt. Brandon Post of Provo Police said she did attend school at Nomen Global English School in Provo. After that, nobody knows what happened to Elena.
Martha Duran, who owns Mexican restaurant "El Huarache Sabroson", said she called Elena several times when she missed her shift on Thursday, but she didn't answer.
She said the young woman is timid, but always shows up to work early. She said being a mother of daughters, she feels terribly about Elena. She too feels her disappearance is suspicious.

Post said a search of her apartment, which she shares with two roommates, didn't indicate Elena left on her own. Her passport and other forms of identification and her belongings were all in her room.

http://www.kutv.com/news/features/t...s-she-was-kidnapped-118075.shtml#.VTudMNJViko

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back