Found Safe UT - Kai Zhuang, 17, international student, 28 December 2023 *ransom demand*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Riverdale, Utah — The Riverdale Police Department issued a press release regarding the disappearance of Kai Zhuang, a 17-year-old foreign exchange student from China.
He was last seen in the Riverdale area, and authorities are concerned for his safety.
The Press release states that Kai may be camping along the Wasatch Front in a tent similar to the one pictured below.
wordpress-size-1-300x169.jpg

The release also stated that Kai interacted with law enforcement in Provo recently. The interaction revealed Kai’s possession of camping gear. He also had several other purchases of additional supplies.

The camping gear he purchased is currently unaccounted for, leading the authorities to believe that Kai might be using it.

1703983933305.jpeg
In a news release Saturday, Riverdale police say Zhuang had recent interaction with law enforcement personnel in Provo. During the encounter, he had camping gear with him.

The release also states that Zhuang had recently made multiple purchases of camping-related supplies. The police state that the camping equipment that he had purchased can not be accounted for, which leads police to believe he may be camping.

Last edited:
Riverdale, Utah — The Riverdale Police Department issued a press release regarding the disappearance of Kai Zhuang, a 17-year-old foreign exchange student from China.
He was last seen in the Riverdale area, and authorities are concerned for his safety.
The Press release states that Kai may be camping along the Wasatch Front in a tent similar to the one pictured below.

The release also stated that Kai interacted with law enforcement in Provo recently. The interaction revealed Kai’s possession of camping gear. He also had several other purchases of additional supplies.

The camping gear he purchased is currently unaccounted for, leading the authorities to believe that Kai might be using it.

O-kay. Wasatch Front camping in December? That's not a very heavy duty tent.

"Interacting with law enforcement" sounds as though LE had concerns about where he was or what he was doing.

Now I'm concerned about a mental health episode.

O-kay. Wasatch Front camping in December? That's not a very heavy duty tent.

"Interacting with law enforcement" sounds as though LE had concerns about where he was or what he was doing.

Now I'm concerned about a mental health episode.
I think he may be hiding out, after the scammers warned him to get out of town, or they'd harm his family.

A tent? In these temperatures? Come ON.

Wasatch Mountains South of I-80​

Tonight
Mostly cloudy in the evening, then partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow after midnight. Lows in the lower 20s.
Sunday
Sunny. Highs in the upper 30s.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear. Lows near 20.
New Years Day
Partly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly sunny. Highs in the mid 30s.

Did he bring his wallet with him? Cell phone? Cash? (Chinese families rely on cash a lot).... it being Utah, did he arrive on a Mission of sorts? I don't understand why we have such little information.

Last seen at 330am... so, these are the pics of him at what looks like Walmart? So.. he had his wallet/cell phone, and a vehicle?

Hoping he decided to head to warmer climates for his camping adventure... tho its kind of rainy and chilly in California this week...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230_181258_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231230_181258_Chrome.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 40
I sure hope he’s ok. Was the 3:30 AM sighting maybe on home security (edited to add that I noted it seems they were at Walmart)? I could see that he hadn’t been noticed missing as he is a teen and not in the family so maybe he keeps to himself in his host room more than usual.
Sorry - just saw the recent posts so editing this - I’m thinking mental health episode as well… but what about what his parent’s received? Has he been under a lot of pressure to do well in the US? Is he having issues at school?

How would he even get to a campground? Does he have access to a car? The area around Provo is not the sort of place where one can get around easily without one.

Can he even drive? A cursory check indicates that you need to be 18 in China to get a driver's license. Which is not to say he could have learned to drive even though he's not eligible for a license.

I see no LE mention of him having a vehicle at all.

That would severely limit his ability to go into hiding, especially with camping gear.

It's possible he is a member of the LDS church. Could they not find a place for him to stay that would be safe and secluded without having to have him risk dying of hypothermia trying to camp in the cold.

This is just such a miserable situation for him to have to face alone.

The Provo Police Department confirmed to FOX 13 News on Saturday that officers encountered Kai on Dec. 20. The agency declined to say much because of Riverdale police's ongoing investigation, but told FOX 13 News Kai indicated to them he was going camping.

Riverdale police now fear that because of cold weather, Kai could be in physical danger. In their statement, the department asked people to check wooded and camping areas for any sign of him and call police if he is seen.

The search for Kai has been going since Thursday when he disappeared from his host family's home in Riverdale. Police said that they had reason to believe he had been taken against his will. His parents, who live in China, received a photo and a ransom demand, police said at a news conference Friday.

kai camping gear.PNG

Google maps tells me Provo and Riverdale are 1 hour distance, by car.

How did a 17yo kid with no car mentioned with no $ mentioned make it to Provo? I doubt there's a bustling public transportation infrastructure in Utah that would make this distance easily traveled by a kid?

Sounds like the kidnapping for ransom theory is off the table now. Maybe he used it to buy time so he could disappear.
I had the thought that perhaps the kidnapping was a hoax, but one he is actually in on. He buys the camping gear to hide out so that when his ‘kidnappers’ contact his family in China for ransom, it really does appear he’s gone missing? Honestly I don’t know what to think. I hope for his loved ones’ sake he is found safe. All weird speculation on my part.

View attachment 471112
In a news release Saturday, Riverdale police say Zhuang had recent interaction with law enforcement personnel in Provo. During the encounter, he had camping gear with him.

The release also states that Zhuang had recently made multiple purchases of camping-related supplies. The police state that the camping equipment that he had purchased can not be accounted for, which leads police to believe he may be camping.

@RickshawFan , does this look like appropriate equipment to you?

Anyone know a Utah-based poster? Possibly @fridaybaker @laytonian ? Any local press, etc?

jmho ymmv lrr

I had the thought that perhaps the kidnapping was a hoax, but one he is actually in on. He buys the camping gear to hide out so that when his ‘kidnappers’ contact his family in China for ransom, it really does appear he’s gone missing? Honestly I don’t know what to think. I hope for his loved ones’ sake he is found safe. All weird speculation on my part.
Depends what you mean by 'in on' it.

Did you see the links @dotr posted upthread about a virtual kidnapping scam that was happening in Vancouver? Chinese students in the U.S./Canada are accused of committing a crime by someone claiming to be a Chinese government official. They are told they need to go into hiding to protect their family. Meanwhile, the parents are told their child was kidnapped and are sent a ransom.

Seems like something like that may be happening here.

I doubt there's a bustling public transportation infrastructure in Utah that would make this distance easily traveled by a kid
There is. UTA has a great commuter train (Frontrunner) that runs from Ogden to Provo. It'd be very easy and cheap for a kid to get from Riverdale to Provo on the train.

That didn't mean he's there NOW, though - the incident in Provo was the 20th, and he disappeared over a week later.

Noting that the ransom scam was not only in Vancouver and Toronto, but in Australia as well..
Oct 18, 2023 #7NEWS #BREAKINGNEWS
A bizarre crime is on the rise in NSW with scammers making millions by extorting families of Chinese international students. In a twist, extortion victims are now being forced to help rip off others.

'An Ontario man has been sentenced to four years in prison after pleading guilty to kidnapping for ransom of a Chinese international student earlier this year.''
2019 rbbm
''TORONTO - A 16-year-old international student from China allegedly staged his own kidnapping in Markham last month.
York Regional Police said officers were called to a residence on Huntington Park Drive on Sept. 27 just after midnight for a report of a kidnapping.

“When officers arrived they were shown a video of the supposed victim, a 16-year-old student who recently arrived in Canada from China,” investigators said in a news release issued on Tuesday.

“The video, which was sent to his parents in China via a social media application, showed the student bound, gagged and wearing a blindfold.”
''Further investigation revealed that the student had staged the kidnapping in an effort to get attention and cash from his parents,” police said.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back