UT - Kouri Richins, 33, Author, wife, mom, charged in husband’s unexpected death last year, May 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Only caught the end so I'll need to go back but looks like the prelim is August 26th. Judge wants no surprises, will fit another hearing in the week of the 19th, if needed.

Ended by wishing, I think the defendant, good luck.

JMO

Only caught the end so I'll need to go back but looks like the prelim is August 26th. Judge wants no surprises, will fit another hearing in the week of the 19th, if needed.

Ended by wishing, I think the defendant, good luck.

JMO
Judge Mrazik is gracious, always advising the defendant good luck.

See y'all the next time morning of August 26. I missed the August 19 possible date. Thank you!

I understand now the evidence the prosecution has against KR regarding communication between KR and a person LE knows as a drug offender and their texts which seem to show KR purchased the fentanyl that ultimately killed her husband. Do we know whether or not KR is denying purchasing fentanyl at all? I suppose she could try to claim that she purchased it at the request of her husband and that she never expected he would OD and die from it? That may still leave her liable in some way as contributing to his demise, but imo would not constitute murder.

I understand now the evidence the prosecution has against KR regarding communication between KR and a person LE knows as a drug offender and their texts which seem to show KR purchased the fentanyl that ultimately killed her husband. Do we know whether or not KR is denying purchasing fentanyl at all? I suppose she could try to claim that she purchased it at the request of her husband and that she never expected he would OD and die from it? That may still leave her liable in some way as contributing to his demise, but imo would not constitute murder.
I could be wrong but if her new story is one of buying drugs for him, IMO she'd still be guilty of murder, having procured and delivered it. Just like some people are being charged and convicted over overdoses. Even if she can reduce the appearance of her culpability -- blaming him for his own death/overdose -- copping to providing it is counter to everything she's said so far so. There's still a murder charge to be had, IMO. Manslaughter. Negligent. Reckless.

Really, her credibility has already left the building.

JMO

Judge Mrazik is gracious, always advising the defendant good luck.

See y'all the next time morning of August 26. I missed the August 19 possible date. Thank you!

So.... hearing on the 19th?? or should I put her on 8/26? TIA! :)

There is a civil case hearing on 8/15/24 per my notes. The property dispute.

Watching the hearing on Court TV which they recorded for replay after the Court did not allow live stream of the proceeding.

Interesting things happening here.

The Court quickly denied the Defense Motion to dismiss/disqualify the prosecution team after finding no violations, no intrusion, and no evidence that the prosecution listened to client attorney privileged information (Motion predates KR's new counsel). KR's current defense team was in agreement with all said by the Judge but this was not the end for the issue for the Prosecutor.

The Prosecution, to summarize, alleges that Sky Lazarro and another attorney from her firm withdrew from the case but not before placing an undetonated grenade in the Court Record that may detonate at any time, and she wants it diffused-- like right now!

Judge asked the Prosecutor to take a breath...
Reminding the Prosecutor that the defense Motion was denied, and there is no credible evidence of any intrusion by the Prosecution during the phone calls of the defendant or the file/notebook exchange..

The Prosecution appears adamant that she wants it on the record the allegations by the prior defense team were speculative at best, and bad faith at worst case.

Prosecution alleges the defense also caused delay to the case by these false allegations and wants the Court to rule, as a record of law (on the record), that the prior defense counsels allegations were false and/or made in bad faith.

The Judge does not agree to render such decision, and more importantly, doesn't think it's necessary based on the Court's ruling to deny the defense Motion.

The current defense goes on record that they have nothing to add on the matter.

New Issue -- prior defense team also alleged the jail refused to allow a notebook exchange between defendant and defense attorney without reading the entire notebook.

The Court denies this Motion-- citing no evidence the jail read the notebook but only scanned the notebook, which is proper.

End of the day -- no harm, no foul.
No evidence the prosecution guilty of anything they were accused of.

IMO, this hearing involving allegations by former defense counsel may have best been handled under camera review (non-public) to protect the case and defendant's right to a fair trial.

I also think that based on the silence of the new defense team, they were most likely present as a courtesy to the Prosecutor who obviously wanted what they are calling a bad faith motion by the prior team on the record, together with the State's strong feeling that the Motion was filed in bad faith!

MOO of the Motions hearing I observed that was pre-recorded by Court TV.

Grief Author Murder Trial: Defendant Kouri Richins Back in Court

found this article

By: Jeff Tavss

Posted 12:37 AM, Aug 09, 2024

and last updated 1:43 AM, Aug 09, 2024

SUMMIT COUNTY, Utah — Members of the Summit County Attorney's Office will remain on the high profile case of Kouri Richins after a judge denied a motion to have them removed.
During a brief hearing Thursday, Third District Court Judge Richard Mzarik heard from both the prosecution, as well as Richins' new defense team of public defenders Wendy Lewis and Kathryn Nester.

Richins' previous attorneys had filed the motion to disqualify the Summit County Attorney's Office as a whole, or prosecutor Brad Bloodworth specifically, claiming he had listened to attorney-client privileged communication.

8/8/24

Third District Judge Richard Mrazik denied the motion from Kouri Richins to disqualify the Summit County prosecutors in a hearing on Thursday.

"I don't see a basis to disqualify anybody from that office, at least from this record," he said, referring to the affidavits and attachments related to the motion.

Richins has claimed that the prosecutors breached her attorney-client privilege by listening to calls and reading her notes.

Mrazik said there is no credible evidence that anyone from the Summit County Attorney's Office listened to phone calls between Richins and her attorney. Mrazik said disqualifying the entire office or deputy county attorney Bradley Bloodworth "is not necessary to maintain the fairness" of the case.

The attorney speaking for Richins on Thursday, Wendy Lewis, was not the attorney who filed the motion. It was filed hours before Richins' attorney Skye Lazaro asked to withdraw from representing her. The law firm she worked for said it had a "professional duty" to withdraw.

Not confirmed -- he's holding that date if they need it. Otherwise he will see them again for the criminal case on 8/26.
The way I heard it, the next fixed-date hearing is August 26th The judge asked both sides to notify him if there were issues and he'd fit them in the week of the 19th, in order to avoid any surprises on the 26th.

Therefore, unless something new comes up, there is only one scheduled event, on the 26th.

JMO

The way I heard it, the next fixed-date hearing is August 26th The judge asked both sides to notify him if there were issues and he'd fit them in the week of the 19th, in order to avoid any surprises on the 26th.

Therefore, unless something new comes up, there is only one scheduled event, on the 26th.

JMO

Thanks!

Watching the hearing on Court TV which they recorded for replay after the Court did not allow live stream of the proceeding.

Interesting things happening here.

The Court quickly denied the Defense Motion to dismiss/disqualify the prosecution team after finding no violations, no intrusion, and no evidence that the prosecution listened to client attorney privileged information (Motion predates KR's new counsel). KR's current defense team was in agreement with all said by the Judge but this was not the end for the issue for the Prosecutor.

The Prosecution, to summarize, alleges that Sky Lazarro and another attorney from her firm withdrew from the case but not before placing an undetonated grenade in the Court Record that may detonate at any time, and she wants it diffused-- like right now!

Judge asked the Prosecutor to take a breath...
Reminding the Prosecutor that the defense Motion was denied, and there is no credible evidence of any intrusion by the Prosecution during the phone calls of the defendant or the file/notebook exchange..

The Prosecution appears adamant that she wants it on the record the allegations by the prior defense team were speculative at best, and bad faith at worst case.

Prosecution alleges the defense also caused delay to the case by these false allegations and wants the Court to rule, as a record of law (on the record), that the prior defense counsels allegations were false and/or made in bad faith.

The Judge does not agree to render such decision, and more importantly, doesn't think it's necessary based on the Court's ruling to deny the defense Motion.

The current defense goes on record that they have nothing to add on the matter.

New Issue -- prior defense team also alleged the jail refused to allow a notebook exchange between defendant and defense attorney without reading the entire notebook.

The Court denies this Motion-- citing no evidence the jail read the notebook but only scanned the notebook, which is proper.

End of the day -- no harm, no foul.
No evidence the prosecution guilty of anything they were accused of.

IMO, this hearing involving allegations by former defense counsel may have best been handled under camera review (non-public) to protect the case and defendant's right to a fair trial.

I also think that based on the silence of the new defense team, they were most likely present as a courtesy to the Prosecutor who obviously wanted what they are calling a bad faith motion by the prior team on the record, together with the State's strong feeling that the Motion was filed in bad faith!

MOO of the Motions hearing I observed that was pre-recorded by Court TV.

Grief Author Murder Trial: Defendant Kouri Richins Back in Court

Thank you so much for this simplified summary. Appreciate it!!!

Dont want to ignore @Niner! :)

-- You're correct, civil case hearing on Aug 15.

-- On the books: preliminary hearing early morning of Aug 26, (time TBD).

IIRC, Aug 26-28 had been set aside but it appears only Aug 26 for criminal case for now.

Dont want to ignore @Niner! :)

-- You're correct, civil case hearing on Aug 15.

-- On the books: preliminary hearing early morning of Aug 26, (time TBD).

IIRC, Aug 26-28 had been set aside but it appears only Aug 26 for criminal case for now.

Thanks! I have penciled in that 8/19 hearing date! :)

And the time I have from my notes for the hearings 8/26 to 8/28 is at 9:30am.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subzero55
Back