Found Deceased UT - REMAINS FOUND - MacKenzie "Kenzie" Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June 2019 #11 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
(I can’t even believe what I’m freaking reading on that “resume”. Serious self imposed time out. I mean we know everyone has the right to a fair trial, and we know these attorneys exist, but to actually read this is, I’m blown away...)

(Grrrrrr)

No one wants an attorney who doesn’t win cases they have no business winning.

In fact, that exactly what clients want.

For that reason, her resume doesn’t list cases that were easy to defend.

It lists the cases that were hard to.

Everyone is supposed to get a vigorous defense, that’s how the system works.

If a prosecutor wants to drop charges, or a jury doesn’t buy the state’s case, then a defense attorney has done their job.

She seemingly does it very well.

I’ll add a third, winning.

It’s a competition, and who doesn’t like victory.

And here I thought the goal was justice rather than "winning." It sure isn't much of a victory for the child victim. I don't know how either a prosecutor or defense attorney could sleep after negotiating a "guilty but no prison" deal for a previously convicted child rapist. From the list up thread, this attorney is boasting about it:

May 2018 - Client facing 60-years-to-life for child sexual offenses. Client had prior conviction for rape of a child and victim in prior case was set to testify at trial. After litigating case for one year, Gustin secures plea deal which included no prison. Client will be out of jail and home with his family very soon.

Nice:

RECENT VICTORIES, SUSANNE GUSTIN

May 2018 - Client facing 60-years-to-life for child sexual offenses. Client had prior conviction for rape of a child and victim in prior case was set to testify at trial. After litigating case for one year, Gustin secures plea deal which included no prison. Client will be out of jail and home with his family very soon.

April 2018 - Client charged with 4 offenses that would place client on sex offender registry for thirteen years. Client delighted that Gustin negotiated deal that will result in dismissal of all charges in 12 months - no jail, no sex offender registration, no conviction.

December 2017 - Client faced allegations of child sexual abuse when he was teaching swimming lessons to a child. District Attorney's office declines to prosecute when Gustin provides office with interviews of employees at the pool and provides office with incriminating background information on child's mother.

December 2017 - Eighteen-year-old senior in high school accused of rape. Prosecutor declines to file charges after Gustin provides interviews of seven students at the high school who provided information helpful to client.

October 2017 - Client who worked for retail clothing store charged with multiple felony theft and fraud charges in the. course of client's employment. Client was young student who feared that his/her life was "ruined." Case resolved with ultimate dismissal of all charges.

October 2017 - Client charged with serious felony sex offense. Gustin secures plea to Sexual Battery, a misdemeanor. Result is no prison, no sex offender registration and preservation of client's six-figure income job.

July-October 2017 - Five clients facing either rape or child sex offense charges with potential lifetime sentences have cases resolved with charges not being filed because of Gustin's work with detectives and prosecutors which convinced prosecutors to decline filing charges.

January 2017 - Client accused of rape by ex-girlfriend. District Attorney declines to prosecute charges after Gustin provides prosecutor with information regarding accuser's mental state and other information exonerating client.

March 2016 - Client charged with 25 counts of aggravated sex abuse of a child, sodomy upon a child and rape of a child in two separate jurisdictions. After blistering cross examination of alleged victim by Gustin at preliminary hearing, prosecutor agrees to offer misdemeanor, no sexual registration. Client was looking at minimum mandatory sentences that would put him in prison for life.

March 2016 - Client facing two counts of rape. Charges not filed after Gustin convinces detective and district attorney that encounters were consensual.

March 2016 - Client with developmental disabilities facing rape of a child charges. Gustin refuses to allow detective to interview client. Assistant county attorney declines filing of charges.

October 2015 - Gustin earns "not guilty" verdicts on aggravated kidnapping, rape and forcible sexual abuse charges after one week jury trial. Client was facing 30 years-to-life in prison. Client and his family are ecstatic!

August 2015 - Woman charged in March with one count of rape of a child under 14, two counts of sodomy on a child and three counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child. Gustin gets charges dismissed based on polygraph.

August 2015 - Multiple rape of a child, sex abuse of a child charges dismissed after Gustin works case for 6 months.

August 2015 - Woman charged with one count of aggravated sexual abuse of a child. Gustin gets charge dismissed based on polygraph.

August 2015 - Two clients facing child sex offense charges carrying 30-to-life sentence. Gustin negotiates dismissal of all charges. Gustin gets flowers next day!

June 2015 - Client charged with aggravated sexual abuse of a child, charge that carries 15-to-life sentence. One day prior to trial, Gustin secures plea agreement involving misdemeanor that does not place client on sex offender registry, less than 2 weeks jail.

May 2015 - Client charged in federal court with molesting boy on airplane. Gustin negotiates dismissal of the charges prior to indictment. Client thrilled and relieved.

May 2015 - Client facing rape investigation. Gustin works with detective and county attorney. County attorney declines to file charges. Client ecstatic.

September 2014-Gustin shuts down pending charges for rape after Gustin does research and submits evidence to detective and prosecutors on the case. Prosecutors did not file charges, fearing they could not get conviction at trial after reviewing information submitted by Gustin.

August 2014-Client charged with aggravated assault, a second-degree felony for allegedly choking his girlfriend into unconsciousness. Client delighted his charge will be dismissed in one year, instead of facing 15 years in prison, after Gustin conducts extensive investigation and negotiation with prosecutor.

July 2014-Client charged with sexual abuse of a minor. Case set for trial and Gustin negotiates a misdemeanor offense and 30 days jail. Client very happy that his job and marriage were saved and he avoided extensive prison sentence.

June 2014-Client charged with stalking charges for second time. Gustin negotiated case throughout and on day of trial secured deal that his charges would be dismissed in a year. This also saved him on his prior case involving stalking. He would have been facing prison on 1 st case if 2 nd case was not resolved successfully. Client over the moon!

May 2014-Client served with stalking injunction. If it were imposed, the very successful client would lose his lucrative career. After months of negotiating with opposing counsel, Gustin secures great resolution for client, which does not include imposition of stalking injunction.

March 2014-client charged with possession of child *advertiser censored*, a second degree felony pleads to offense that does not put him on sex offender registry. Gustin also negotiates no-incarceration recommendation from both prosecutor and Adult Probation & Parole.

July 2013-Client investigated for aggravated sexual abuse of his daughter is not charged after Gustin does extensive investigation on his behalf and convinces prosecutor to reject detective's submission for filing.

January 2013-Gustin secures acquittal at jury trial on sex offense against a child. Client's additional charges involving allegations of sex abuse of another child. After a year of motions and negotiations, prosecutor dismisses additional case against client.

September 2012—Engineer charged with Sexual Abuse of a Child, a felony with potential life sentence. Gustin secures misdemeanor offense that does not place client on sex offender registry. Client does only 30 days jail and his $120,000 a year job is saved. Client sends letter to Gustin saying, "thank you for saving my life Susanne!"

August 2012—Immigrant from Bhutan charged with aggravated kidnapping and forcible sexual abuse. Client facing sentence of 25 years-to-life. On eve of trial, Gustin obtains misdemeanor plea which does not place client on sex offender registry and allows him to remain in this country. Client does mere 25 days in jail and is currently reunited with his wife and two young children.

July 2012-Client charged with six counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child and facing life sentence. Client hires Gustin one week prior to trial. After taking case over from prior attorney and working case for several months, Gustin secures deal wherein client only has to serve additional 60 days in jail. He is currently out of jail and free to proceed with his life. Client's response to Gustin is, "Thank you for saving my life Susanne!"

December 2011—Not Guilty on all five counts against client--two counts rape of a child, sodomy upon a child, aggravated sexual abuse of a child, and dealing in harmful materials to a minor. Client facing 30 years-to-life. Not guilty verdicts despite 3 witnesses testifying that client confessed to crimes.

November 2011—Seven counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child dismissed after Susanne Gustin works the case for seven months. Client's original skepticism of Gustin's defense strategy turns to joy. He states, "this will be the best Thanksgiving ever!"

April 2011—"Not guilty" verdicts for two co-defendants charged with felony stalking. Not guilty on every charge (total of four charges)

February 2011—Five counts of second-degree felony embezzlement (amount taken $27,000) will be dismissed after one year—no fine; no jail, no conviction, no record!

February 2011—Eight counts of second-degree felony forgery and embezzlement will be dismissed after 3 years; no fine, no jail, no conviction, no record!

January 2011—First- degree felony rape, first- degree felony sodomy, three counts of forcible sexual abuse, all reduced to one Class "A" misdemeanor. Twenty-five year old client, happy & relieved, is serving only 6 months in jail. He was facing a potential life sentence.

June 2010—Five first-degree felony aggravated sex abuse of a child--carrying potential 30-to-life sentences—reduced to third degree felonies, no sex offender registration, no jail time!

June 2010—Ten counts of possession of child *advertiser censored*, second degree felonies, reduced to class A misdemeanor, no prison.

April 2010—attempted murder charges will be dismissed after 3 years of motions, appeals to the Utah Supreme Court, and negotiations by Susanne
Gustin

April 2010—Aggravated Robbery and Kidnapping Charges, first degree felonies, potential lifetime sentences. Susanne Gustin secures misdemeanor charges and 180 days jail.

March 2010—Three counts Sexual Abuse of a Child, second degree felonies, in juvenile court. Reduced to one charge that is not "sex offense" related. Case will be dismissed in one year. No jail and client's opportunity to enter the military restored.

March 2010—Felony domestic violence and criminal mischief charges dismissed the day before trial after a flurry of motions filed by Susanne
Gustin

February 2010—Aggravated Assault, a third degree felony, and third offense for client will be dismissed in 1 year. No conviction, no fine, no jail, no record!

December 2009—Second DUI with Injury Accident charges substantially reduced to reckless driving after Susanne Gustin files motion to dismiss the case based upon an illegal blood draw. Client receives no jail.

November 2009—felony theft charges dismissed after Susanne Gustin files motion to dismiss based upon insufficient evidence and hearsay grounds. Judge grants motion to dismiss.

September 2009—"not guilty" verdicts for 2 counts kidnapping, 1 count burglary for gay man accused of kidnapping neighbors' children. Client was facing 30 years to life in prison
February 2009—"Not guilty" verdicts on four counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child charges, carrying potential sentence of 30 years to life in prison.

Criminal Defense|| Drug Charges|| Sex Crimes|| Juvenile Crimes|| Sexual Abuse of a Child|| Sexual Assault|| Rape|| Child *advertiser censored*|| Unlawful Sexual Conduct|| Statutory Rape||

Recent Outcomes

—-
ETA: Whatcha think @gitana1?

Will go sit on my hands now.
Wow- had to stop reading halfway down from the nausea. Sounds like she only takes cases she knows she can win? Which may be why she sounded so tentative when asked if she was representing AA. She said next week & we’ll see after that.

I don’t understand why people can’t just consider the most likely scenario: she met up with him with the intention of going to his house.
She got in his car. They went to his house.
Why does there have to be all this nefarious activity and an accomplice?

She was willing to meet up with him at 3 am. Seems reasonable to think she’d be willing to turn her phone off if he asked her to.

People want to think that she was somehow coerced into meeting him that night, but is that really logical? She had been in CA. If she really didn’t want to meet up with him, she easily could have avoided telling him when she was going to return. She could have also had the Lyft driver take her to her house.

As much of a monster as this guy is, I don’t think it’s a stretch to consider that Kenzie had been communicating with him, liked him, and wanted to go to his house that night. Maybe she had no idea how much he liked sex. Or, maybe she liked sex, too? (GASP!)

I personally believe she was definitely consensual to meet him. The reason I believe it is that I have met girls, who look and act just as wholesome and sweet who like sex and want to meet up for it. I think she may have underestimated this guy and trusted him.

I do not belong to these groups but have had to look into certain members' profiles and meet with them. I believe she knew some fringe activity was going to happen. One of the possible meetup sights which actually caters to extreme kink and event torture BDSM may have been used by both of them. I had to create a fake profile and go on it to investigate someone. It was an eye opener. Seemingly normal people working every type of job, were on the site with pictures of themselves inside JUST LIKE the sound proof one with chains and hooks on it for mutual torture role play. It was sickening to see them smiling and hanging by sharp hooks and chains. Think- 50 Shades...

We see it is crazy, but they see it as therapeutic and a release of past hardship or psychological hurt. I am not at all saying she was one on this same site, but people who are into this do not advertise it to their neighbors. From the secret room description, I believe the killer WAS on such sites.

:mad::mad::mad:
March 2016 - Client charged with 25 counts of aggravated sex abuse of a child, sodomy upon a child and rape of a child in two separate jurisdictions. After blistering cross examination of alleged victim by Gustin at preliminary hearing, prosecutor agrees to offer misdemeanor, no sexual registration. Client was looking at minimum mandatory sentences that would put him in prison for life.
OMG! I just read the list @margarita25 posted too. That list hurt my heart.

Wow- had to stop reading halfway down from the nausea Rsbm.

(Let’s hope you will be the presiding Judge :wink: )

Seriously, I’m not worried if he hires Johnny Cochran’s twin brother. The facts will present themselves. :)

—-

OMG! I just read the list @margarita25 posted too. That list hurt my heart.

Dude!! Is that not the most, um, unbelievable resume you’ve ever read? Wow.

(I can’t even believe what I’m freaking reading on that “resume”. Serious self imposed time out. I mean we know everyone has the right to a fair trial, and we know these attorneys exist, but to actually read this is, I’m blown away...)

(Grrrrrr)

Well, maybe one or two of her clients actually were innocent...or maybe not....

There ARE cases where innocent people are accused of heinous crimes. But I wonder how many of her clients have reoffended.

I am so hoping that she gets a ‘client on Death Row’ to add to her resume!

And here I thought the goal was justice rather than "winning." It sure isn't much of a victory for the child victim. I don't know how either a prosecutor or defense attorney could sleep after negotiating a "guilty but no prison" deal for a previously convicted child rapist. From the list up thread, this attorney is boasting about it:

ETA: BBM.

If I was a public defender, I'd boast about it too. The prosecutor had to agree to the deal, no? JMO

I think two things motivate defense attorneys.

1. The absolute belief that everyone is entitled (by law) to a fair defense.
2. Money

I think #1 can often be used to rationalize the actual priority of #2.

I am definitely enraged by some of the "success stories" on this attorney's site, but I do think it's worth pointing out the possibility that some of her clients may actually have been innocent, and/or that a #3 on the list above might be that the attorney believes her client (sometimes).

I personally believe she was definitely consensual to meet him. The reason I believe it is that I have met girls, who look and act just as wholesome and sweet who like sex and want to meet up for it. I think she may have underestimated this guy and trusted him.

I do not belong to these groups but have had to look into certain members' profiles and meet with them. I believe she knew some fringe activity was going to happen. One of the possible meetup sights which actually caters to extreme kink and event torture BDSM may have been used by both of them. I had to create a fake profile and go on it to investigate someone. It was an eye opener. Seemingly normal people working every type of job, were on the site with pictures of themselves inside JUST LIKE the sound proof one with chains and hooks on it for mutual torture role play. It was sickening to see them smiling and hanging by sharp hooks and chains. Think- 50 Shades...

We see it is crazy, but they see it as therapeutic and a release of past hardship or psychological hurt. I am not at all saying she was one on this same site, but people who are into this do not advertise it to their neighbors. From the secret room description, I believe the killer WAS on such sites.
Exactly! Fantastic post.

ETA: I agree with everything you said! I think this is basically how it went down.

:mad::mad::mad:

And this is an excellent example of why many victims are terrified to come forward to even file a protection order.

JMO

One thing that popped into my head was maybe something like "oh, here, let me plug that in for you, I've got a charger plugged in over here..." and then turns it off, either surreptitiously or otherwise, when she hands it over. I don't know if at that point she'd have realized something was off or not, maybe he waited to have her phone in hand to subdue or incapacitate her, but I can see her giving it over willingly.

There are so many nice ways to imagine that Kenzie lost control of her phone, but I'm guessing that the dishonest sexual predator who murdered her was much more abrupt.

Joran van der Sloot was finally arrested for elbowing a woman in the face first. That was enough to disable her. He later beat her to death. It's possible that the suspect elbowed Kenzie in the face to disable her, took her phone and turned it off. If anyone saw him walking her into his house, she would have looked like a drunk.

Hannah Graham was out with friends, wanted another drink, and was seen jogging through the streets and then Jessie Matthews saw her. She had a drink with Jessie Matthews. People saw him supporting her and carrying her to his car. They would assume that she was just drunk - too drunk to walk without assistance. Matthews earlier victim testified that she was hit in the head first, warnings next.

I don't think Kenzie had a chance. I think she put her big suitcase in his car, the lfyt driver left, she got in the car and ... that was it. He took her phone, turned it off and very likely told her what was going to happen next. I don't think she had a chance after she closed the car door.

Well, maybe one or two of her clients actually were innocent...or maybe not....

There ARE cases where innocent people are accused of heinous crimes. But I wonder how many of her clients have reoffended.

I am so hoping that she gets a ‘client on Death Row’ to add to her resume!

Good one, Death Row!

Of course there most certainly persons wrongly accused of crimes and that has got to be the worst thing in the world.

One hell of a resume. Seems her clients have quite the resumes themselves. That’s the whole darn problem.

That’s all I can say that won’t send me to band camp right now. :)

We all know innocent until proven guilty and everyone has a right to a fair trial. :)

No one wants an attorney who doesn’t win cases they have no business winning.

In fact, that exactly what clients want.

For that reason, her resume doesn’t list cases that were easy to defend.

It lists the cases that were hard to.

Everyone is supposed to get a vigorous defense, that’s how the system works.

If a prosecutor wants to drop charges, or a jury doesn’t buy the state’s case, then a defense attorney has done their job.

She seemingly does it very well.

My father was an excellent defense attorney. So I do understand what motivates some of the good ones.

I learned first hand that just because someone is charged with a long list of horrid crimes, it does not mean they actually committed said crimes.

In cases like that, a defense attorney is a guardian angel. Can you imagine being falsely accused of killing your missing child?

It is possible that some of those clients on the list posted upthread, were actually innocent of the charges. In that case, she is a hero and not a villain. JMO

My father was an excellent defense attorney. So I do understand what motivates some of the good ones.

I learned first hand that just because someone is charged with a long list of horrid crimes, it does not mean they actually committed said crimes.

In cases like that, a defense attorney is a guardian angel. Can you imagine being falsely accused of killing your missing child?

It is possible that some of those clients on the list posted upthread, were actually innocent of the charges. In that case, she is a hero and not a villain. JMO
And either way, she did her job.

It’s not her role to secure the conviction of her client, that’s on the prosecutor, and ultimately up to a jury.

If you half-*advertiser censored* a defense because you think your client did it, you have no business being an attorney.

LOL - your list hit me like a ton of bricks.

(I think that might have been one of the worst things I’ve ever read in my life frankly. And we all ask in these cases how the heck the perp was still was walking free...unbelievable...If I were the parent of one of those victims listed on that resume...or the parent of a future victim of one of those offenders who should’ve been locked up...)

Last edited:
I think his attorney read this book for inspiration...

81fXuLuFeuL.jpg

Indeed, Katy. As I said above, to be wrongly accused would be the worst thing in the world and we all have a right to defend ourselves :), due process, innocent until proven guilty, all that good stuff. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot