VA - 1 dead as Man attacks hikers with machete on Appalachian Trail, Wythe County, May 2019 *insane*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
2 summers ago, my daughter & I hiked a small stretch of AT- we just had 3 weeks. Really struck by how many military men we met! The trail really is a healing oasis for so many people. I’m sickened Ron’s trek was robbed from him. And touched by the hostel owner who hired him for a brief respite so he could recover from trail injuries. I hope one of the trail associations can find a special way to memorialize Ron’s presence on AT.

How Did the Appalachian Trail Murder Suspect Slip Through the Cracks?
Before deputies arrested him for the slaying of a veteran, James “Sovereign” Jordan was well-known to law enforcement and hikers along the Appalachian Trail for his erratic and threatening behavior.

July 11, 2019

"Last week, a federal district court judge ruled that James “Sovereign” Jordan, the Massachusetts man charged with the murder of hiker Ronald “Stronghold” Sanchez, isn’t competent to stand trial. The ruling brings to an end—at least temporarily—one of the most disturbing stories to emerge from the Appalachian Trail in the past decade, while leaving questions about the case open. One of the most glaring: Why was James Jordan, well-known to law enforcement along the trail for his erratic and unsettling behavior, left to his own devices?

May’s slaying wasn’t Jordan’s first encounter with the police since his hike began...."

https://www.backpacker.com/news-and...-suspect-slipped-through-mental-health-system

Suspect in Appalachian Trail killing of veteran found incompetent to stand trial

image.jpg

A federal judge in southwest Virginia has found that a man accused of fatally stabbing Iraq War veteran Ronnie Sanchez Jr. on the Appalachian Trail in May is incompetent to stand trial "at this time." The judge ordered James L. Jordan back into a mental health facility for further treatment, and she requested another report within four months on whether Jordan might be restored to competency at some point.

Sanchez, 43, was a southern California native who spent 16 years in the Army, served three tours in Iraq as an engineer, and had publicly admitted he suffered from post-traumatic stress disorder in the years after his 2011 discharge. But while living in Oklahoma he discovered bicycling and other vigorous exercise helped extricate him from depression, his family said, and he had determined to walk the length of the Appalachian Trail beginning in February.

Suspect in Appalachian Trail killing of veteran found incompetent to stand trial

Last edited:

Man Charged With Murder For Appalachian Trail Stabbings

"James Louis Jordan has been held on a complaint filed by law enforcement and has undergone a mental evaluation.

A Virginia grand jury charged the alleged Appalachian Trail killer on 5 charges of murder, attempted murder and assault with intent to murder.

James Louis Jordan has been held on a complaint filed by law enforcement and has undergone a mental evaluation.

Jordan was originally accused of killing a man and hurting a woman last spring.

The grand jury has added two more victims who he may have threatened on the trial.

Jordan will have an arraignment over zoom on Thursday."

Man Charged With Murder For Appalachian Trail Stabbings

"James Louis Jordan has been held on a complaint filed by law enforcement and has undergone a mental evaluation.

A Virginia grand jury charged the alleged Appalachian Trail killer on 5 charges of murder, attempted murder and assault with intent to murder.

James Louis Jordan has been held on a complaint filed by law enforcement and has undergone a mental evaluation.

Jordan was originally accused of killing a man and hurting a woman last spring.

The grand jury has added two more victims who he may have threatened on the trial.

Jordan will have an arraignment over zoom on Thursday."

No updates :(

Appalachian Trail murder suspect found competent to stand trial

The man accused of killing an Appalachian Trail hiker and attacking another with a machete in Southwest Virginia last year was declared competent to stand trial Thursday after he received mental health treatment at a federal facility.

James L. Jordan, 31, appeared Thursday in U.S. District Court in Abingdon, where Magistrate Judge Pamela Sargent reviewed the findings of mental health evaluators, who said that he had been restored to competency. Sargent agreed and ruled that the case can proceed.

Jordan, of West Yarmouth, Mass., was arrested in May 2019 and charged with murder and assault after two hikers were attacked near the Wythe and Smyth county line.

He is accused of fatally attacking Ronald S. Sanchez Jr., 43, of Oklahoma and injuring a Canadian woman. Jordan was known as “Sovereign,” and hikers said he had created an unnerving atmosphere for weeks along the trail in Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia.

During proceedings in Sargent’s courtroom last July, she found that Jordan was not competent to stand trial and ordered him to receive mental health treatment to determine whether he could be restored to competency.

Hopefully they can get on with a trial but it’s bound to be bogged with mental health filings and delays. I’d expect this to drag on for a bit but at least he is off the AT.

Court documents: Accused Appalachian Trail killer to use ‘defense of insanity’

According to federal court documents filed September 21, 2020, Jordan notified “the Government and this Court of his intent to assert a defense of insanity at the time of the alleged offense.”

Further filings request that “any evaluation of the Defendant’s mental state at the time of the offense… be conducted in the least restrictive manner possible…” His attorneys also ask that any further evaluations be done locally with Jordan remaining in the Southwest Virginia Regional Jail at Abingdon, instead of transferring him into federal custody.

The defense requested that Jordan remain at the regional jail because “the COVID-19 pandemic counsels strongly in favor of avoiding unnecessary prisoner movement, particularly into the Bureau of Prisons (BOP).”

Jordan is scheduled to stand trial on January 25, 2021.

You can read the full court documents at the link above.

Among the filings last week, it was requested that any psychological examination of Jordan be done locally.

Prosecutors filed a motion on Monday, requesting a custodial sanity evaluation of Jordan. They also stated they opposed that the evaluation be done locally “…and respectfully requests that the Court commit Jordan to the custody of the Attorney General for placement in a suitable facility for evaluation.”

No ruling has been made yet on the motion.

Jordan’s next court appearance is scheduled for January 7, 2021.

Court documents: Prosecutors request accused A.T. killer be taken into federal custody for mental evaluation

Appalachian Trail hiker deemed insane in fatal attack | wbir.com

April 22, 2021

"An Appalachian Trail hiker who killed a man and seriously wounded a woman in a knife attack in May 2019 in Virginia is insane and will be committed to a psychiatric center for treatment, a U.S. District Court judge in Virginia found Thursday.

James L. Jordan, 32, won't be freed until he's deemed to be no longer a threat to the public. He had been charged with murder.

The New England native appeared Thursday morning in federal court in Abingdon before Judge James P. Jones. As part of the hearing, the court heard an apology from Jordan

Jordan, who used the name "Sovereign" in hikes on the trail through Tennessee and Virginia before the attacks, has a severe psychiatric illness, his legal team said in a statement Thursday."

Appalachian Trail hiker deemed insane in fatal attack | wbir.com

April 22, 2021

"An Appalachian Trail hiker who killed a man and seriously wounded a woman in a knife attack in May 2019 in Virginia is insane and will be committed to a psychiatric center for treatment, a U.S. District Court judge in Virginia found Thursday.

James L. Jordan, 32, won't be freed until he's deemed to be no longer a threat to the public. He had been charged with murder.

The New England native appeared Thursday morning in federal court in Abingdon before Judge James P. Jones. As part of the hearing, the court heard an apology from Jordan

Jordan, who used the name "Sovereign" in hikes on the trail through Tennessee and Virginia before the attacks, has a severe psychiatric illness, his legal team said in a statement Thursday."

Since James L Jordan was declared not guilty by reasons of insanity, I assume even if he were to be freed from the center, he could never be tried again for the murder he committed on the trails. I wonder if a patient lives out their life at the center or how long a patient stays before being declared no threat and is released. Do they still have insane asylums? Some cases have a perp committed but are then tried after they receive treatment and have been declared sane.

He reminds me of the serial killer Gary Michael Hilton who was active on the trails. He could feign mental illness when he wanted but was actually very smart and knew exactly what he was doing when he was committing the murders. His thread is linked below.

Gary M Hilton

Since James L Jordan was declared not guilty by reasons of insanity, I assume even if he were to be freed from the center, he could never be tried again for the murder he committed on the trails. I wonder if a patient lives out their life at the center or how long a patient stays before being declared no threat and is released. Do they still have insane asylums? Some cases have a perp committed but are then tried after they receive treatment and have been declared sane.

He reminds me of the serial killer Gary Michael Hilton who was active on the trails. He could feign mental illness when he wanted but was actually very smart and knew exactly what he was doing when he was committing the murders. His thread is linked below.

Gary M Hilton

Thankfully they figured Hilton out. Ive just read in the past and I recall the attempt on President Reagan, about Hinkley being in a mental health hospital. He was up for or gets some kind of freedoms now I think.

Gary M Hilton

Good question. I don't know if he can ever be tried again. The article I posted wasn't too clear on that part.

If a court declared him not guilty then that would be final wouldn’t it?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal
Back