VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really late to this thread. I've seen that the boy had access to his mum's gun - but - there is comment that the school administration are responsible in some way for this boy to shoot his teacher?

Surely, the question must be - if the child had 'problems' why was the gun not locked away and why oh why, was a gun kept in the house? I get the right to bear arms and all that, but this to me, falls at the parents feet and not the schools.

I've just seen the above posts. I despair, I really do.

Well, they can't hide forever. Hopefully, at some point they will close the investigation of the parents. THEN the information should be available under FOIA.

I am sending an email to the VA SAG today, to see if the state is looking at the case. Might even send to the Dept of Education, as well. They are task with ensuring school safety.

Moo...

In light of the fact that no one has been charged in relation to the shooting, and within TOS of course, are we allowed to speculate as to why no charges have been filed yet?

Even though other shootings and similar incidents are considered off-topic, for most of us following here, it's the standard protocol in those other cases that leave everyone here scratching their heads as to the lack of charges in this case.
Can a six year old form the 'mens rea' to commit the offence?

Can a six year old form the 'mens rea' to commit the offence?

As far as I know, there are no charges against the boy because of that. He is 6 !! He is obviously a troubled soul, and hopefully is getting help and treatment, but no there will not be charges held against him. His parents, however? One would think so. The school? Definitely has some culpability in this crime. All MOO

As far as I know, there are no charges against the boy because of that. He is 6 !! He is obviously a troubled soul, and hopefully is getting help and treatment, but no there will not be charges held against him. His parents, however? One would think so. The school? Definitely has some culpability in this crime. All MOO
Agreed.
At the school, this child exhibited red flags ... in abundance.
Imo.

Exactly. ^^^

Well this is just my .02 , no it wasn't.
But let's say it was locked away and unloaded ... what happened after that ?
Just saying.

Abby Zwern could have died.
Another teacher or student could have been killed, easily !!!!
I cannot brush that aside nor take it 'lightly'.
Ugh !
Imo.

That gun could have accidentally fired killing the child himself (in addition to others as you mentioned).

The gun was not secure. The child was not safe.

There was negligence.

jmo

The teacher should sue the boy’s family for letting him have access to a gun.

I think a child who is that psychopathic at age 6 is likely irredeemable.

I really don’t think that violent kids should be inflicted on ordinary kids. Their right to education (that they probably can’t engage with anyway) doesn’t trump everyone else’s right to physical safety.

The teacher should sue the boy’s family for letting him have access to a gun.

I think a child who is that psychopathic at age 6 is likely irredeemable.

I really don’t think that violent kids should be inflicted on ordinary kids. Their right to education (that they probably can’t engage with anyway) doesn’t trump everyone else’s right to physical safety.
This, 100%

Gwynn said that if there is a decision to charge someone in connection with the case, it would either be through a grand jury or in consultation with police.

While there is no timeline for when charges might be brought, Gwynn drew a distinction with a parallel incident in Norfolk, Virginia, last month in which charges were quickly filed against a mother whose 6-year-old brought a gun to an elementary school. In that case, no one was injured and police charged the mother with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and allowing a child access to a loaded firearm.

"In our case, the police decided to turn the file over to us to make a decision," Gwynn said. "And we have to make our decision based on our ability to prove beyond a reasonable doubt a crime occurred."

Gwynn said that if there is a decision to charge someone in connection with the case, it would either be through a grand jury or in consultation with police.

While there is no timeline for when charges might be brought, Gwynn drew a distinction with a parallel incident in Norfolk, Virginia, last month in which charges were quickly filed against a mother whose 6-year-old brought a gun to an elementary school. In that case, no one was injured and police charged the mother with contributing to the delinquency of a minor and allowing a child access to a loaded firearm.

"In our case, the police decided to turn the file over to us to make a decision," Gwynn said. "And we have to make our decision based on our ability to prove beyond a reasonable doubt a crime occurred."

So in the case where no one was injured a mother was quickly charged, however, in the case of Abby Zwerner being shot... the AG has to decide?

Bunch of scared rabbits, imo AS it appears no one will be held accountable.

Last edited:
So in the case where no one was injured a mother was quickly charged, however, in the case of Abby Zwerner being shot... the AG has to decide?

Bunch of scared rabbits, imo AS it appears no one will be held accountable.
Different cases, differenct circumstances, and possible different social standing? Something doesn't add up, we all know that.

What sort of social status do we think this family has?
Honestly I don't even know if they do. It's all speculation since we haven't been told anything.
Clearly there's a reason there's been no arrests in a case where generally, in comparable instances, we almost always see an immediate arrest and charges against the parent/guardian of a minor child.
Politician? Cop? Judge? School board member? Again, all just speculation.

No charges will be filed against 6 year old boy who shot his teacher.,

I hope charges are being considered against his parents!
The child is well below the age of criminal responsibility, so this is not actually news to anyone, I shouldn't think.

The real question is whether the ACTUAL ADULTS - parents, administrators, teachers - will bear any criminal responsibility. When are we going to hear about that, for goodness sake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3