VA - 6-YEAR-OLD in custody after shooting teacher, Newport News, Jan 2023 *mom charged* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I can't remember what article it was, I believe it was discussing his behavior problems the previous year, in kindergarten. And it sounded like he escalated. I will see if I can find it again. It was disturbing. Found it.

"While in kindergarten at Richneck in the 2021-22 school year, the boy strangled and choked a teacher and was removed from the school, according to the complaint.

That same school year, the boy also pulled up the dress of a female student who had fallen on the playground, the complaint says, and "began to touch the child inappropriately".
From the same link:

"Teachers' concerns with John Doe's behavior was regularly brought to the attention of Richneck Elementary School administration, and the concerns were always dismissed," the suit says. "Often when he was taken to the school office to address his behavior, he would return to the classroom shortly thereafter with some type of reward, such as a piece of candy."

End Quote

That's helpful. After cursing at and attempting to whip other children in the school yard. IMHO

(Sorry for beating this article to death so late in the game ..but I missed it)

Wow. I missed both you and airport posting this previously. Apologies.

Frankly, this wasn't a child doing a dress pull... It sounds like a sexual assault.

From link:

That same school year, the boy also pulled up the dress of a female student who had fallen on the playground, the complaint says, and "began to touch the child inappropriately until reprimanded by a teacher."

End Quote

Bolded for reference

He should have been EXPELLED immediately afterward. The school ignored so many RED FLAGS.
Absolutely not normal either witnessed it at home or was molested himself or was watching adult films. It is a HUGE red flag.

I never ignore posts, especially yours.

I completely missed this all around.

There seems to be so much more to this story .....
It's been speculated that he was in foster care, but with the bio mom being charged, I somehow doubt it.

I am wondering if this mother still has physical and legal custody of this boy, since it has taken 3 months to get a charge. I know he was placed in a hospital at one point, and per MSM reports the judge was to make final decisions on 'where' and ' with whom' for the future. But that was 3 months ago... And, she is charged with felony neglect
Bolding mine.
This. ^^^.
I won't be surprised if more comes out.
Besides the violent movies or videogames I've suggested, there are other ways to observe deviant behavior.
M00, Imo, and all that.

He should have been EXPELLED immediately afterward. The school ignored so many RED FLAGS.
Absolutely not normal either witnessed it at home or was molested himself or was watching adult films. It is a HUGE red flag.
Bolded by me.
Agreed.
How this child was being nurtured will be important, I'm assuming !
Imo.

Thanks again @sds71 for the heads up article posted earlier. I was able to 'sleuth' the mothers given and quoted name, and found her on twitter. From my perspective, IMO she was not a prolific twitter poster, however I did glean some information. My fellow posters here @ Websleuths were right on the money with suspicions of FAS. Her many tweets, including re-tweets of others were ALL ABOUT ALCOHOL !!! I was only able to glance back through Jan 6, 2023. I was then called away to real life. There were also Zero mentions of her having a child.

As of later on this early evening...her twitter has been shut down, or privatized....invitees only.
Funny that... ( So, IMO...it was hers that I was peeking at)

Last edited:
Yes. Agreed. This is way beyond the scope that any teacher or school social worker can address.

I "get" parents not wanting their children in alternative classrooms. That said, one would expect the school administration to take a more rational approach especially since this kid had almost a two year history of extremely violent behavior.

Its strange ..this kid's tenure at school coincided almost exactly with the administration's desire to get rid of RSOs and LE on campus and they went full fledged restorative justice. Imho

ETA. There are still no RSOs on campus at least as if a January article. (I know Denver schools were entertaining the return of RSO's after their East End shooting. They had voted to have them removed so as not to add to the school to prison pipeline).

Last edited:
Yes. Agreed. This is way beyond the scope that any teacher or school social worker can address.

I "get" parents not wanting their children in alternative classrooms. That said, one would expect the school administration to take a more rational approach especially since this kid had almost a two year history of extremely violent behavior.

Its strange ..this kid's tenure at school coincided almost exactly with the administration's desire to get rid of RSOs and LE on campus and they went full fledged restorative justice. Imho

There is nothing strange about connecting the dots....
MOO

Bbm
Goodness.

Even a few weeks or a month of attacks on other kids, threatening the teachers, and whatever else may have happened .... is far too long !
Imo.

I saw it and wasn't really too surprised either.
Maybe we have an expert here that can answer what kind of trauma causes violent sexual conduct in a child that age?
It seems pretty obvious there's something seriously wrong here, on so many levels.

jmo

I am not any sort of "expert", but it shows that if nothing else, this child is not "normal". Normal kindergarten kids don't act this way.

As for him being reprimanded, and coming back with candy, that is often used as a tool, to gain trust from kids who have reactive attachment disorder, they will rebel against any type of redirect, oppositional defiant disorder, so, the goal is to bond with the child, start where the child is at, to gain trust and hopefully the child will learn how to be a nice child.

MOO, is that the child learns enough to manipulate everyone and game the system.

Last edited:
I'm probably a bit on the cynical side but I wouldn't be surprised if these criminal charges coming soon after the very large lawsuit might not be a coincidence. A parent being convicted of a felony in regard to the incident significantly diminishes the school's perceived responsibility.

I'm probably a bit on the cynical side but I wouldn't be surprised if these criminal charges coming soon after the very large lawsuit might not be a coincidence. A parent being convicted of a felony in regard to the incident significantly diminishes the school's perceived responsibility.
Apologies in advance since I may be misunderstanding some things.

Are you suggesting the mother of the shooter being charged, somehow helps alleviate in some way, the school's responsibility in the matter?

Apologies in advance since I may be misunderstanding some things.

Are you suggesting the mother of the shooter being charged, somehow helps alleviate in some way, the school's responsibility in the matter?
Yes. In my opinion it's likely that the school will sue her for whatever their liability insurance doesn't cover in the eventual settlement.

Why do I have the feeling that if Ms. Zwerner had called 911, she would have been reprimanded by the school management?
What a total debacle— though I have much better words to describe the situation that I can’t use here!
I believe she would have been placed on leave and ultimately fired, whether he didn't have one or he had the police discovered it prior to him shooting her. Most teachers are not even allowed to call CPS. If you expect abuse or neglect you report it to your superiors. And get this, at one school I was at, a child was heavily involved with CPS and had been removed from the home. I was up there calling and messaging her mom (who didn't tell me otherwise).You know who knew about CPS? The school's attendance clerk! When I found out and inquired I was told they couldn't give me any information. This child was in my class and custody for 6 or 7 hours a day and it was felt I didn't need to know. I supported her the best I could.

I'm betting the child was removed from the mother's custody immediately after the shooting and placed in a center for mental health evaluation. I also read that the reason he was in that classroom was because the parents refused to place him in a classroom for special education students. Considering the violence inflicted on the teacher--and the emotional trauma--inflicted on the students, I doubt Mom ever allowed to resume custody.
I heard that the reason he had to have a parent at school with him was because those parents were refusing to have him evaluated. I've heard of parents (okay, mothers) encouraging their children to misbehave in school, etc. so they can get "crazy checks" for them, if they can find a crooked doctor to sign off on the paperwork.

Deja Taylor and Abigail Zwerner are two 25-year-old women who took VERY different roads in life, that's for sure.

Who's Prosecuting?

Posters mentioned "District Attorney."

"As Commonwealth's Attorney for the City of Newport News, I pledge that my office will do all that it can to enforce the laws of the Commonwealth."
He --- Howard Gwynn --- issued this press release today:

The MSM I've quickly scanned refers to the NN's atty for the Commonwealth.

Maybe answering my own question---
"Newport News is an independent city with services that counties and cities in Virginia provide, such as courts and social services. Newport News has both a police department and a city sheriff's department.[91][92]" See section re Gov'mt.

So it seems NN muni. gov'mt has both city and county/dist. functions. Or maybe someone can clarify?

Who's Prosecuting?

Posters mentioned "District Attorney."

"As Commonwealth's Attorney for the City of Newport News, I pledge that my office will do all that it can to enforce the laws of the Commonwealth."
He --- Howard Gwynn --- issued this press release today:

The MSM I've quickly scanned refers to the NN's atty for the Commonwealth.

Maybe answering my own question---
"Newport News is an independent city with services that counties and cities in Virginia provide, such as courts and social services. Newport News has both a police department and a city sheriff's department.[91][92]" See section re Gov'mt.

So it seems NN muni. gov'mt has both city and county/dist. functions. Or maybe someone can clarify?
The cities in Hampton Roads all function independently so no counties so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3