Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem 245UFVA, ~60, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our poor lady's exclusions list is up to 218 names. https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6279)

I found a new possible on Doenet: Cynthia Clair was depressed when she went missing from Toronto. She has red hair, wears glasses, all her other stats are within range. Was 38 when she disappeared, so would have been a little younger than the 50 to 70 age range. She had also broken her legs or feet in an accident; I know they didn't do a full autopsy on Annadale JD so I don't know that's something they would have looked for or not.

Since she's Canadian, there would not have been any automatic matching.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2738dfon.html

Side by side attached; click to enlarge if necessary. I question the nose, but since I saw how sharp Buckskin Doe's nose is from the side, I'm not sure how Annandale's nose would look from that angle. Also, the tip of the nose tends to enlarge and droop as we get older. Not sure six years is enough for that to be significant, however.

I dunno. Close enough to submit?

attachment.php

Hi Carbuff - I definitely think this one may be a good submission. Has Carl taken a look?

Hi Sleuths. I wanted to share what I have personally learned from making a few inquiries into this Jane Doe. Some of you may know that I strongly believe this Jane Doe to be Shirley Leona Sprang. I still do believe that. I realize that others do not and that's fine, but I do want to share a small bit of information that I have gathered, which I find quite perplexing, actually.

The following information exists in the history of this thread from previous mentions about Shirley, but I will briefly recap the relevant portion here for the sake of convenience, since it can be overwhelming to keep track of the many potential matches we discuss.

Documentation in Shirley Leona Sprang's Missing file states that she hailed a Taxi and left her home in Two Rivers, WI on June 16, 1990 after an argument with her mother. Her family never saw her or heard from her again, although for some unknown reason Law Enforcement in Lincoln, NE had some type of contact with her on Dec 19, 1996. This second date establishes that she was alive at least up until December of '96.

As you all know, that last date logically conflicts with the date of this Jane Doe's death. If both dates were correct it would mean that she committed suicide on December 18th, and the next day -- the day her body was found -- she communicated with Law enforcement in Lincoln, Nebraska. Absurd, of course.

It has been surmised that, if the two individuals are one and the same, perhaps one of these dates was entered incorrectly. And of course, that is entirely possible, as I'm sure most of us have seen such errors in other cases we have worked.

So, back sometime last year I contacted Lincoln, Nebraska PD and spoke with a very helpful officer. I inquired as to that documented contact with Shirley which was said to have occurred on Dec. 19 of '96. Did they have any record of that? And if so, what type of contact was it? The officer checked their system, which had all records computerized and going back as far as at least 1980. There was no record of any contact with a Shirley Sprang in 1990. There was never ANY record of a Shirley Sprang in their system at all. If they had had ANY contact with her they would have had her name, birthdate, and address on file...even if she was just driving through.

The documentation in Shirley's missing file noted a contact with "Law Enforcement" in Lincoln, NE. Law Enforcement is a somewhat general term, as it could apply to the Sheriff's office, Drug Enforcement, even the FBI. However, one would usually associate it with the police Department. So, at least, I feel fairly comfortable in ruling out the Lincoln PD. If I remember correctly, when I spoke with the Detective in WI, he didn't know who they meant by "Law Enforcement" either. I never did check with the Sheriff's office, though. But wouldn't the police and Sheriff have access to the same records? And document into the same file?

Say I got arrested by the police in Lincoln, NE. If I later got pulled over by a Lincoln/Lancaster County Sheriff's Deputy and they called in my ID info, they wouldn't be left ignorant of my arrest, right? Does anybody here know how that works? I'm just trying to find a way to verify that documentation, which appears to be the ONLY thing that indicates that Shirley was even alive in 1996. If that documentation is in error then theoretically she could have left in that taxi in 1990 and committed suicide -- or was murdered -- that very night and her body has never been found. Obviously, were that the case, my ID of her as being this Jane Doe would be entirely incorrect. I don't believe that's the case really but those of us who connected SS with this Jane Doe did so BECAUSE of that Lincoln NE contact date...by noticing that it was only one day off from Annandale Doe's date of death.

Okay, and to add to the mystery of Shirley Sprang: I found one of her nephews on Facebook (again, last year) and inquired as to his Aunt's status. I didn't say anything about her having gone missing. And neither did he. His response was that she died a long time ago. At some point she was reported missing, and the detective working her case still believes that to be true. So why would the nephew know that she was dead if the rest of the world still thinks she's missing?

Very interesting....I thought of Shirley Sprang being this UID for a long time....this is very welcome information. (sorry, didn't read everything about it, don't be annoyed if you all figured it out already) I also always thought there is a weird thing with the dates and of course there are physical things that make me think this.... Shirley may have scarring on both arms from psoriasis (what btw made me also think of “Mary Anderson” Jane Doe found October 9, 1996, by suicide ina hotel in Seattle, looking to have scars of psoriasis on her arms, but in this case the dates totally don't fit, but this post makes me think about it again) there was no total autopsy for Annandale Jane Doe. I would like to see Shirley Sprang ruled out for "the red headed lady", the name I gave her in my files. Don't be angry if I totally didn't follow everything. JMO

I think I said this earlier in reply to Poky's post, but no, another LE division won't necessarily know about your arrest in a different jurisdiction. Especially if it's a minor charge.

My notes say Sprang's contact was a traffic violation with Nebraska State Police. I didn't note the source, though, and my files for that were on the computer that died a sad and smoking death :(

I think we discussed the possibility that somebody else was using her ID.

I've read through this entire thread just recently, and had a few (probably irrelevant and/or useless) thoughts. I thought I'd throw them out here to give this case a bump.

1) Cremation cost
Someone noted that $50 was nowhere near enough to pay for a cremation. That stood out to me, too, and it made me wonder what could have possibly made her think that it would be so cheap. Is it possible that she'd recently had to cremate a beloved pet? I don't know what it would have cost back then to cremate a cat or a dog, but perhaps she multiplied that figure by 2 (or 3) and figured that would be enough to cremate a human.

Another, really unlikely, out-there possibility: She had knowledge of how much it would cost for the wood needed to fire up a professional barbecue smoker (or something along those lines) and used that figure to make a *very* rough estimate of the energy cost to carbonize a human corpse. For example, maybe she heard someone brag that they used $25 worth of hickory wood to smoke a large amount of meat... And she figured $50 worth of natural gas would certainly be enough to 'cook' her to mere ashes. (I told ya this line of thought was unlikely!)

2) Christmas tree indicative of religious observance?
Some have mentioned that the Christmas tree is a likely indicator that Christianity was an important part of this woman's life. I respectfully submit that there are many non-Christians and atheists who enjoy Christmas as a secular holiday, or merely as a carry-over from when they were children in a Christian family. If she'd brought a cross, rosary or Bible with her, in that case I would agree that she was most likely strongly Christian. But a Christmas tree, IMHO, is just as likely a symbol of secular celebration, or even long-lost childhood/family happiness, as it is of religious devotion.

3) Delicate matters...
It seems to be a common feeling here that this woman had some medical training, or perhaps knowledge of what a slow death from illness would be like. This, combined with all the care she put into the setting for her death, makes me wonder if she perhaps used the restroom at the last possible moment before heading to the cemetery. Perhaps she even used laxatives and/or stopped eating in the days before her death in order to 'clean' herself out, to help minimize any mess when she was found. This makes me wonder where the nearest restroom to the cemetery would be. (One that would be open at night, which is presumably when she showed up at the cemetery.) A gas station, perhaps? You'd think that the whole area was canvased by LE back then, but I get the feeling that lots of locals still weren't aware of what had happened.

4) Headphones
I don't know what significance it would possibly have toward identifying her, but does anyone know if she wore her headphones inside the plastic bag, or if they were placed over her ears on the outside of the bag? As I try to build the scene in my head, that question struck me for some reason.

Also: I think I read somewhere that the batteries in her tape player were leaking. Did the batteries still retain enough power to actually play the tape to the end (of that side) or did it slow down and eventually stop somewhere in the middle? It really surprises me that she wouldn't check to make sure the batteries were fresh before setting off to end her life. Unless maybe the tapes/player were a last-minute addition because she wanted something to distract herself with, so that she wouldn't 'chicken out.' Maybe if she did hit a thrift store shortly before she ended her life, she saw the tape player and bought it and some random comedy tapes on impulse. In such a case she might figure that if the old batteries inside failed while she was dying, it would be no big deal because she didn't really care that much about listening to the tapes. (Why comedy tapes? Maybe she had very particular musical tastes and didn't see any there that she liked.)

Sorry for rambling!

Good you are thinking with us, NadirCake! We need fresh eyes and ideas.

I agree about the Christmas tree.

The batteries might not mean anything. Old-style batteries leaked easily. Even new batteries would sometimes leak after onlyna few hours of use. My good tape player got ruined that way...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Hi there.....still searching....

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2885dfca.html

Mary Sagasta, Missing since April 8, 1985 from Los Angeles County, California

Date Of Birth: May 29, 1947. UID born between 1926 and 1946,estimated age 60 so then born app. 1939. In 1996 Mary Sagasta would be 49 yrs,comparing to JD a little bit to young. Age at Time ofDisappearance: 38 years old Height andWeight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3" UIDis 5’0; 145 lbs. Distinguishing Characteristics:White female. Red hair; blue eyes. Marks, Scars: Surgery scar on abdomenfrom navel to chest Uid has a scar/scars on abdomen Dentals: Available. DNA: Available. Probably ruled out on comparison..... pfffff It's so hard to find our JD.

Thank you for searching. Looking at the list. Could be helpful, if it's still up to date, have to look into it better. Good find.

My pleasure. I’ve found a few other bits and pieces of information but I’ll have to check the thread to see if they’ve already been posted/discussed.

(btw I think I would have been very fond of this lady had I known her during her lifetime.)

This, the case of Lyle Stevik, and the Buckskin girl amaze me; still not identified after all these years and so much exposure. I keep asking myself, what am I missing? There has to be something (above and beyond the obvious fingerprints, DNA) that would nail the identity. But what? Thinking...thinking...

This, the case of Lyle Stevik, and the Buckskin girl amaze me; still not identified after all these years and so much exposure. I keep asking myself, what am I missing? There has to be something (above and beyond the obvious fingerprints, DNA) that would nail the identity. But what? Thinking...thinking...

I have to have a chuckle with this lady. She shuffled off this mortal coil but, in doing so in the manner in which she did, she has almost guaranteed her immortality.

Two things she didn’t count on were: the advancements in DNA technology, and determined web sleuthers.

My pleasure. I’ve found a few other bits and pieces of information but I’ll have to check the thread to see if they’ve already been posted/discussed.

(btw I think I would have been very fond of this lady had I known her during her lifetime.)

What a sweet thing to say..but why?

I agree, its frustrating. I think you are not missing anything...This lady took very good care about staying unidentified for whatever reason she had. Maybe she changed her looks entirely, as women are capable off, and there is no obvious identification along the line of her looks. As I recall right it's not even certain that she was a real red head (looks like it, but we don't know the color of her body/pubic hair) Correct me if I'm wrong. If they honored her wishes there was no thorough autopsy, although they must have done some tests for ruling a homicide out, I think a toxicology test the least for they know a alcohol level. And they examined her body....at least from the outside. Maybe she is one of the missing, missing persons, never reported missing. There are still missing people added to Namus recently, also person who are missing for years and years, so maybe something will pop up after all. And I believe there are still a lot of handwritten missing persons files in and on desks from the "old" days, we don't even know off.. Maybe "the red headed lady" will be identified one day....I hope so for the ones who maybe miss her and are still searching... Looking at the rule out list (very long, comparing to other does) somebody still cares and is taken a effort. So are we...

What a sweet thing to say..but why?

Her eclecticism. She had a keen sense of humour, as evidenced by the tapes she decided to listen to as she was leaving this earth. She spent her last moments among the graves of deceased infants so I think there may have been some sadness during her lifetime which made her somewhat empathetic toward our most innocent and vulnerable. Her attention to detail. I imagine her to have been an intelligent woman and very much in control of her life, as she was of her death. Also, she had a sense of style but had no qualms about breaking one of ‘fashion’s commandments’, ie; ‘redheads should never wear red’, so I think she was somewhat of a rebel. I have a feeling that Jane decided to end her life anonymously at Pleasant Valley for a reason known only to herself. I think she was a woman who valued her privacy.

I do feel for the cemetery’s caretaker, no matter how familiar with death he may have been by virtue of his employment. Discovering human remains, especially those of someone who has ended their own life, would be a traumatic experience for anyone.

Her eclecticism. She had a keen sense of humour, as evidenced by the tapes she decided to listen to as she was leaving this earth. She spent her last moments among the graves of deceased infants so I think there may have been some sadness during her lifetime which made her somewhat empathetic toward our most innocent and vulnerable. Her attention to detail. I imagine her to have been an intelligent woman and very much in control of her life, as she was of her death. Also, she had a sense of style but had no qualms about breaking one of ‘fashion’s commandments’, ie; ‘redheads should never wear red’, so I think she was somewhat of a rebel. I have a feeling that Jane decided to end her life anonymously at Pleasant Valley for a reason known only to herself. I think she was a woman who valued her privacy.

I do feel for the cemetery’s caretaker, no matter how familiar with death he may have been by virtue of his employment. Discovering human remains, especially those of someone who has ended their own life, would be a traumatic experience for anyone.

Sorry if this thought has been discussed before (it’s a long thread) anyhow your comment about her being among the graves of deceased infants stood out to me. Do you know if she next to a particular grave?

Sorry if this thought has been discussed before (it’s a long thread) anyhow your comment about her being among the graves of deceased infants stood out to me. Do you know if she next to a particular grave?

Not that I’ve read so far.

(I used to walk my dog through a cemetery and we’d often sit for a while in the deceased infants’ section, hidden away in the back. The historical graves were the most touching as they were often neglected and seemingly long-forgotten by their loved ones.)

It's been said that she wasn't near any particular grave. It's apparently the part of the cemetery farthest from the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Horrorgirl87