Identified! VA - Annandale, WhtFem ~60, 245UFVA, 'NO CODE, DNR, No Penicillin', Dec'96 #2 - Joyce Meyer Sommers

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My last post ended up in the middle of someone elses. I have some questions. First, If the roll of tape was in her backpack and full then where is the tape used on the bag over her head. 2nd It seems to me she was too waisted to have put the bag over her own head. If it was a suicide I think it was assisted.

As A lifelong glasses wearer I know that A. Eye doctors keep records. I wonder if police went to optometrists and ophthalmologists to see if they recognized the frame or prescription.Now,I know ophthalmologists don't prescribe glasses but still might remember sending her to an optometrist. B Back then the prescription was written on the temple part of the bow as was the frame name. Maybe they could find how many of that particular frame had been ordered.

As A lifelong glasses wearer I know that A. Eye doctors keep records. I wonder if police went to optometrists and ophthalmologists to see if they recognized the frame or prescription.Now,I know ophthalmologists don't prescribe glasses but still might remember sending her to an optometrist. B Back then the prescription was written on the temple part of the bow as was the frame name. Maybe they could find how many of that particular frame had been ordered.

Huh? None of my glasses ever had the prescription written anywhere.

They can quickly determine the prescription with their machinery, (without a written prescription), and might be able to narrow down the origin of the frames based on markings.

amateur opinion and speculation

Yeah, that I'm aware of. The thing about the prescription on the arm of the frame was what surprised me.

Though I suppose the prescription by itself isn't terribly useful, unless it's associated with a prescriber number or optical shop or something.

Yeah, that I'm aware of. The thing about the prescription on the arm of the frame was what surprised me.

Though I suppose the prescription by itself isn't terribly useful, unless it's associated with a prescriber number or optical shop or something.

I was uncertain of the RX being written too. Unless things were different before the '90s, what is written on the temples of the frame is the frame name, size and temple length. And, a lensometer is used to read the lens RX.

I do like the idea of checking with an optometrist in that area back then and wonder if LE did. Now, records would probably be destroyed.

I noticed Astridxx was writing about Legal blindness. I am legally blind in one eye. I always had very thick glasses. In fact plastic frames like JD had are better for thick lenes. I do have bifocals now as a middle aged woman but never did until I hit my 40's.Bifocals and Trifocals are usually for different distances in bifocals the bottom is for reading or close up work. The top is for distance or sometimes clear. Trifocals are less common and are used for distance,middle and reading. I hope this helps. Note: my profile pic is my mom not me.

I just had a thought. The layering of her clothes sounds like what I was taught growing up in the NE. Could she be from the NE maybe New England?

I was uncertain of the RX being written too. Unless things were different before the '90s, what is written on the temples of the frame is the frame name, size and temple length. And, a lensometer is used to read the lens RX.
I think you may be correct
I do like the idea of checking with an optometrist in that area back then and wonder if LE did. Now, records would probably be destroyed.

My eye doc is an ophthalmologist and he writes my prescription and I even get my glasses from his office since he has a nice selection of frames. He has an optician on staff.

I had LASIK in 1999 but I wore glasses in 1996 and I don't remember my script being on the frames.

It would have been very difficult for the police to canvass every place in Fairfax County that sold glasses to track her down. She may not have been from that area.

I for one am excited for Othram to be involved on this case. It hopefully won't be long.....

My eye doc is an ophthalmologist and he writes my prescription and I even get my glasses from his office since he has a nice selection of frames. He has an optician on staff.

I had LASIK in 1999 but I wore glasses in 1996 and I don't remember my script being on the frames.

It would have been very difficult for the police to canvass every place in Fairfax County that sold glasses to track her down. She may not have been from that area.

I for one am excited for Othram to be involved on this case. It hopefully won't be long.....
Yes, Othram are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I speculate they will have a familial match in short order that will lead to her identity.

I suspect this was a widow who isolated herself and just didn't want to be a "bother" to anyone. She likely intentionally stopped having contact with distant relatives, and made the decision to join loved ones she missed terribly.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I was wrong this is what is on the glasses: These numbers are the measurements that indicate and describe the size of your eyeglass frames, specifically:
1) The eye size number (it is the size of the lenses on your frame).
2) The bridge size number (the distance between the lenses).
3) The temple length number (it is the size of that part of your eyeglass frame, which rests upon your ears).
The three mystical words mentioned above are the key measurements that describe the structural measurements of the frames in eyeglasses. For example, if you look at your glass frame, you will see three numbers separated by a dash on the inside of your frames such as 53-16-140. What is the meaning of the numbers on your eyeglass frames and why you should care about it - Hamilton Eye

While the prescription isn't written down on the frames, they can look at the lens itself and tell the RX strength it is. Charities that ask/advertise for glasses donations have stated they have someone examine and get the strength so they can match them to people who need them in developing countries. I'm not sure how much useful info could be found from there, though, unless we can narrow down the area where she got the glasses.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back