GUILTY VA - Ashanti Billie, 19, found deceased, Virginia Beach, 18 Sept 2017 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I have a feeling they were onto this guy from the beginning...interviewing coworkers etc. I haven’t had a chance to read any of the articles or the criminal complaint linked here, but just from reading all your comments it seems likely (and might be in those links I haven’t read yet).

So sad for this young woman just starting her life- terrifies me to let my child out into the world (my oldest is 17). Hits close to home since my oldest daughter is going to be working on post this summer...for 21 years I’ve never felt unsafe on any military base we’ve lived/been stationed at. False sense of security, but none the less it’s there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Criminal Complaint: https://lintvwavy.files.wordpress.com/2017/11/brown-complaint-22.pdf

There is a lot of information .... it is so sad how Ashanti was found. I have no doubt they have the right suspect.
So many thoughts going through my mind I don't know where to begin. FIRST, justice. Get this guy tried, convicted, put away forever.
THEN, ***** needs to hit the fan: How could this have hapoened??? Why was a retired vet with no home allowed to wander the base? Why were complaints about him from workers on base ignored? Why wasn't security better at the base?

Our local media said that military veterans are allowed access to ANY military base, any time. WHAT???? Vets are not boy scouts, they're people too, and people are capable of dark things. When I looked at the surveillance video on Tallyho Terrace of him tossing the cellphone, I didn't see panic in his walk or movements. I think he has done this before. He is a cold blooded killer. Who knows how long he has been doing this? LE should look into unsolved crimes even back to when he was still in Navy.

I think this family's nightmare is not going to be over soon. I think there will be 20/20, Dateline, 60 Minutes and Congressional hearings to make sure this type of thing never happens again. Laws and policies need to be changed.

RIP Ashanti and justice for her family.

I have a feeling they were onto this guy from the beginning...interviewing coworkers etc. I haven’t had a chance to read any of the articles or the criminal complaint linked here, but just from reading all your comments it seems likely (and might be in those links I haven’t read yet).

So sad for this young woman just starting her life- terrifies me to let my child out into the world (my oldest is 17). Hits close to home since my oldest daughter is going to be working on post this summer...for 21 years I’ve never felt unsafe on any military base we’ve lived/been stationed at. False sense of security, but none the less it’s there.

From reading the criminal complaint, it sounds like LE had him under surveillance at least since the video was released showing a man tossing Ashanti's phone. A former construction co-worker of Brown's called the FBI after that video was released and gave them his name. The FBI caller said the man on the tape moved like Brown and Brown was known to hang out at the Laundromat next to Blimpies and had a history of harassing Ashanti and other women there. After that tip, it sounds like they followed him until he did something they could arrest him for (trespassing). He left a single fingerprint in her car (rest of car had been wiped) and his DNA was found on her clothes. This is the man, no doubt about it in my mind after reading the documents.

I'm so relieved they got this guy off the street and behind bars but I have to wonder if he did this before, to other women. Not even a military base is safe. :scared:

#JusticeforAshanti

I suspect that this guy was a SK in the making- and this arrest has saved others the same fate as this lovely young lady.

Our local media said that military veterans are allowed access to ANY military base, any time. WHAT???? Vets are not boy scouts, they're people too, and people are capable of dark things.

Snipped by me...it's not that all veterans can access any base any time. Retired veterans (20+ years of service) are allowed base privileges for MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation), medical services, commissary and exchange access, etc. It doesn't apply to everyone who has ever served, but there are lots of legitimate reasons a retired veteran would need base access, just like active duty service members can access bases they're not assigned to. Clearly being homeless, living in buildings on base, and harassing young women are legit reasons, but they do exist.

So glad the arrest was made. The criminal complaint looks like a slam dunk. Prayers for Ashanti's family and friends.

I suspect that this guy was a SK in the making- and this arrest has saved others the same fate as this lovely young lady.

He may already be a SK and we just don't know it. Yet.

Yeah it's terrible...your daughter will be ok.. definitely a false sense of security, I has anyway

Snipped by me...it's not that all veterans can access any base any time. Retired veterans (20+ years of service) are allowed base privileges for MWR (morale, welfare, and recreation), medical services, commissary and exchange access, etc. It doesn't apply to everyone who has ever served, but there are lots of legitimate reasons a retired veteran would need base access, just like active duty service members can access bases they're not assigned to. Clearly being homeless, living in buildings on base, and harassing young women are legit reasons, but they do exist.

Thanks for clearing this up. Perhaps the on air reporter didn't explain it right (I don't have a cite). Clearly some new safeguards need to be put in place regarding base access and behavior. For example after his arrest in Virginia Beach for trespassing / lewdness, would he still have been allowed back on base to roam freely if he hadn't been charged with Ashanti's murder?

Could they do something in the future like allow him(badly behaving veteran) to come on base just for the services he needs, then tell him he has to leave?

I want to know more on Eric Brian Brown. Was he marred, did he have kids? Did he have drug issues? I mean my husband is in the navy and will retire within 3 years. Most people that stay in long enough to retire are pretty good people, I mean they usually dont get in trouble while in their career, they serve and get out to collect their retirement check and live a good life. Why was this guy homeless? He had a retirement check coming in... so? He had money. If I read it correctly he retired in 2011. He entered in the Navy in 1990. So.... did he snap? Also, where had he been stationed before? California, Japan, FL, Washington? He was an IT in the Navy and they can be stationed pretty much anywhere.

God Bless Ashanti's parents! They are so well spoken and obviously good people. They said they are starting a foundation in Ashanti's name to help other people going through similar situations to what they went through in looking for Ashanti. They also mentioned other missing women in the area of similar size to Ashanti (possibly referring to Keir and Chloe Johnson but they didn't use their names) and suggested that Brown may have other victims. They thanked the FBI and NCIS but they also bring up some great concerns about base security and how Brown was able to be homeless and have seemingly unlimited access to the base. I can feel the pain in their words as they talk about what Brown took away when he murdered Ashanti. Ashanti was a bright light and had such a promising future ahead of her. :tears:

Noteworthy info taken from posts here pre-arrest...

borndem got the 'weird customer' part right. However, 'loiterer' may be more accurate. Tealgrove's body placement theory was almost exact. Perp probably knew of this place behind the rocks for decades. jamicat offered a 'simplest' scenario which seems pretty accurate. CatchingClues mentions 'serial killer' which eventually may be accurate.

Something everyone missed: Ashanti Billie left for work early to clean the restaurant for a health inspection scheduled later that day. The supposed early meet-up, bread baking, etc. was all not correct.

Not sure if anyone ever mentioned 'homeless'.

Parts of pre-arrest posts...

borndem

I guess they have ruled out any Blimpie's employees, but I wonder if any of the early am employees saw anyone lurking around or in the parking lot on any other morning, or noticed a weird customer who might have had his eyes on her.... could she have had a stalker? old boyfriend? Or, if it were an abduction, was someone waiting in the dark for her & grabbed her as soon as she got out of her car?

Tealgrove

I find the placement of Ashanti's body behind a church very telling. I might be looking at someone who lives in the area, someone who attends, or attended, the church...

Someone who has knowledge of that church is involved IMO. You don't drive 300 miles and then dump a body behind a church for no reason...

CatchingClues

If it was someone who was already on base who abducted her, then that person had to have a clearance to be there, correct? And there must be fingerprints on the car, her belongings, perhaps even her since there were several points of contact it seems. Either way, if this wasn't someone she knew, then this sounds like the work of a serial killer. I'm sure law enforcement is working around the clock to solve this. Very scary.

jamicat

The simplest thing would be that someone abducted her at that Blimpies. Forced her into her car and dead or alive, conscious or not, drove her off base or forced her to drive off base, and then left her phone and hair pieces at that location. Then continued the drive to Carolina, dumped her body, returned to Va, ditching the car.

Murder will come. Even if she died from a seizure, the death came while and as the result of him committing a felony (kidnapping) so at the very least he can be charged felony murder

Yep, it'll happen. LE and the Prosecutors don't really need to be in a rush. He's behind bars. LE will get the autopsy, and things will prolly progress -- and, sadly, there may be another charge against him, but I'm hoping not. I'm sure they want to lock it in and have a solid case. And maybe now her family will rest a little better -- it won't bring her back, but there will be as much justice as The People can dish out.

Your passion did not go unnoticed. I hope you and the other new folk stick around.
Same here! You new folks have added a lot to our bunch here -- and there is always another case/situation to follow. Plus, we need to see this through including the still-missing mom and child.

:grouphug:

How in the heck did this man think he was going to kidnap and murder someone and NOT be caught? And how may I ask was he able to be enlisted for 21yrs with that type thinking? This is just one example of all veterans are NOT heros! This man is no hero, no matter what he has done in the past. You murder an innocent person, you lose all prior 'good deeds'... Yet as many posted here, the murderer had to be on base somehow. You were right.

Speaking of on base, how can someone be retired from the navy, yet still be homeless?? Wouldn't his retirement check be enough to get housing?

bbm

That's what I've been wondering all this time -- the only thing that would keep him from receiving retirement from the Navy after 21 years would be a dishonorable discharge (I am told) & I think that a D.D. would already have been covered by reporting -- plus I doubt he would be allowed on the Naval Base, so what happens to his money?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back