VA - Aveion Lewis, 2, Roanoke, 14 January 2010 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to put this out there because this case affects me personally. I have been a member here for a couple of years and while I do not post very much, I feel it is necessary in this case. I would just like to ask that every one put aside any negative opinions of DSS and CPS, at least as it relates to this child. The workers and agency involved are going through their own personal hell, and it is uncalled for to assign any more blame to them. There was no failure on the behalf of DSS, and certainly not CPS. Everything the law allows to protect this child (and his siblings) was done. I know people are angry -as am I- at this child's death, but please, put the blame where it belongs.

Welcome!

I'm not asking that you relate anything personal regarding this case. But could you enlighten some of us who may not know what the parents have to go through in order to have their child(ren) returned to them.

Do they have to take any special classes - such as a parenting class or nutritional class, go to anger management? Do they have to go through any kind of court proceeding?

TIA for any insight you can provide

Thanks for the link. There are no cameras here where I live either. I have always thought that there should be.

How can someone find out what day the trash truck runs there. So sorry to have to type this but ours runs on Wednesdays. This happened last Thursday..There was Friday, Monday and Tuesday.

Look on the www.roanokeva.gov website. It has a link for the trash pick up schedule for the city. Monday was a holiday, so it would have backed up the pick up for all areas by one day; ie, Monday's pick up would have happened on Tuesday, etc...

Welcome!

I'm not asking that you relate anything personal regarding this case. But could you enlighten some of us who may not know what the parents have to go through in order to have their child(ren) returned to them.

Do they have to take any special classes - such as a parenting class or nutritional class, go to anger management? Do they have to go through any kind of court proceeding?

TIA for any insight you can provide

As mandated by the state, a foster care worker would have to develop a plan that specifically addresses / remedies the condition(s) that lead to the child's placement in foster care. If the issue was neglect or medical neglect, the parent would be obligated to prove that the causes of neglect (lack of education, resources, medical care) were eradicated prior to the child's return home. The foster care worker is mandated by law to develop a plan that provides for the reunification of the child and caretaker (usually bio parent). Such a plan might involve parenting classes, appropriate medical training, and an established ability to meet the child's physical, emotional, and medical needs. If the parent complies with the foster care plan to the satisfaction of the court, the child is ordered to be returned home. Most parents are unable to comply with such stringent conditions; however, those that do are typically reunited with the child. It is also important to note that just because a parent complies with such a plan does not mean it is the recommendation of DSS that the child is returned home; in such cases it is up to the courts to decide. Courts base their decision on information provided by DSS as well as the information and arguments from the parent's attorney, the child's attorney, and other court agencies (such as CASA). It is usually a very long process; court hearings at 3 days, 75 days, 5 months, and so on. The law requires a "permanent plan" for the child at 15 months, such as reunification, placement with relatives, or adoption. If the family meets their burden for the child to be returned home, there is very little, if anything, that DSS can do to prevent it.

Being a mother and a grandmother ("Memaw") I will go to the ends of the earth to protect my daughter and my grandsons. I had lunch at school today with my oldest granbaby who is 7 and I had to fight back the tears as I looked across the cafeteria at all those precious children and as I had my arms around my lil man and it broke my heart to know that lil Aveion will never have the chance to play with other kids, never have the chance to go to school, never have the chance to grow up. I adore my grandsons and would put my life on the line for them and my daughter. I feel like I have lost one of my own children and I don't think I have ever felt this devastated over someone I had never met.

I agree with your sentiments Calliope.

I was just responding to the poster who (I gathered) wondered about if LE had released any info on the mother.

I just have a very sinking feeling that when it all comes out that we are going to find that the mom was involved in this somehow. The silence is deafening when it comes to her.

Yep.

As I see it, there are two scenarios. Mom knew of this from the start and helped him cook this up, or he manufactured the scene, injured himself and fed her this story when she returned home.

Which makes me wonder...

Under federal and state law, kidnapping is commonly defined as the taking of a person from one place to another against his or her will, or the confining of a person to a controlled space. Some kidnapping laws require that the taking or confining be for an unlawful purpose, such as extortion or the facilitation of a crime

IF that little girl really was bound and gagged (and that could have been a lie too) ... it certainly fits that definition. I just hope the DA gets VERY creative with these charges.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/a-z/kidnapping.html

Thanks for the link. There are no cameras here where I live either. I have always thought that there should be.

How can someone find out what day the trash truck runs there. So sorry to have to type this but ours runs on Wednesdays. This happened last Thursday..There was Friday, Monday and Tuesday.

http://www.roanokeva.gov/85256a8d0062af37/CurrentBaseLink/N255MQ4N275CFIREN

If in the general area, then they'd have pickup Monday or Tuesday. Which means this week it would be Tuesday or Wednesday (most are being set back a day due to holiday on Monday).

Calliope - you are very right...IMO I think it's very possible that he could be charged with kidnapping. He says the child was tied up/restrained...and if she was then he did it or told someone to do it... And it's been all over the news, said by him, that this is how this child was found.

Hope he's bound and gagged when his new boyfriend gets a hold of him in prison...

Not sure about Roanoke, but my daughter works for CPS in another state. These are the types of programs they offer, along with intense supervision. I would assume it's pretty much the same here.

Calliope - you are very right...IMO I think it's very possible that he could be charged with kidnapping. He says the child was tied up/restrained...and if she was then he did it or told someone to do it... And it's been all over the news, said by him, that this is how this child was found.

Hope he's bound and gagged when his new boyfriend gets a hold of him in prison...

From what I remember, he claimed he went upstairs and untied the girl prior to the police arriving. So it could be a lie like the rest of it.

BUT, if they can determine he actually DID tie or restrain that little girl, I hope they go for a kidnapping charge as well.

JVM show just announced that Aveion was placed in a foster home in April of 2009.

JVM talking about this case and they just got information:

This child was 8 lbs at 15 months and was removed from the home in April of 09. Not sure when he was returned to the home.

Was hoping to read Aveion's body was located, sorry to see that is not the case.

If BL was attempting to restrain Aveion and Aveion flung his head back into BL's nose, could that account for BL's injury? My sister's nose was broken by her toddler daughter doing the head backwards butt (during normal care....no abuse/anger) but she is a small person.....not sure if that matters though.

Was hoping to read Aveion's body was located, sorry to see that is not the case.

If BL was attempting to restrain Aveion and Aveion flung his head back into BL's nose, could that account for BL's injury? My sister's nose was broken by her toddler daughter doing the head backwards butt (during normal care....no abuse/anger) but she is a small person.....not sure if that matters though.
I would also be checking for any marks on the Mama's hands!

So sorry to hear the news about little baby Aveion...

http://www.roanokeva.gov/WebMgmt/ywbase61b.nsf/vwContentByKey/N2562KT8861KROEEN

This link will show you in areas which day of the week the trash is picked up. Looks like their area is the yellow which means a Tues. collection day.

ETA: Remember business dumpsters are emptied by whichever company puts them there...they are not emptied by the City of Roanoke.

This is true. In addition to business's, town home associations or apartment complexes also hire their own scavenger company.

As mandated by the state, a foster care worker would have to develop a plan that specifically addresses / remedies the condition(s) that lead to the child's placement in foster care. If the issue was neglect or medical neglect, the parent would be obligated to prove that the causes of neglect (lack of education, resources, medical care) were eradicated prior to the child's return home. The foster care worker is mandated by law to develop a plan that provides for the reunification of the child and caretaker (usually bio parent). Such a plan might involve parenting classes, appropriate medical training, and an established ability to meet the child's physical, emotional, and medical needs. If the parent complies with the foster care plan to the satisfaction of the court, the child is ordered to be returned home. Most parents are unable to comply with such stringent conditions; however, those that do are typically reunited with the child. It is also important to note that just because a parent complies with such a plan does not mean it is the recommendation of DSS that the child is returned home; in such cases it is up to the courts to decide. Courts base their decision on information provided by DSS as well as the information and arguments from the parent's attorney, the child's attorney, and other court agencies (such as CASA). It is usually a very long process; court hearings at 3 days, 75 days, 5 months, and so on. The law requires a "permanent plan" for the child at 15 months, such as reunification, placement with relatives, or adoption. If the family meets their burden for the child to be returned home, there is very little, if anything, that DSS can do to prevent it.

Thank you snoelle. I was familiar with some of that... that reunification was always a priority.... What happens once the child is placed back with the family to ensure the parents are not falling back to their old ways if any. Are there some procedures in place where a social worker or someone makes calls on the family to ensure the child is still being properly cared for? Or does CPS/DSS involvement end when the child is placed back with the family? I think it is the "follow up" that I just described that I don't understand the most..... what measures are taken to make sure the parents don't fall back into the old habits or old ways and are able to further their new parenting skills?

Say for example, a child was removed from the home for medical neglect. Once the child is placed back with the bio family, do they need to continue to prove they are ensuring the child is continuing to receive proper/appropriate medical care?

ETA: And what about HIPPA laws when CPS/DSS is involved? Is the agency allowed to get information from the childs pediatrician or medical records to ensure the child is being properly cared for and the parents are following recommended treatment? And if not, would the pediatrican and agency be in contact with each other to be notified if this was not happening with the child?

I can't help but wonder sometimes, and worry, about parents who will 'go through the motions' to get their child/ren back and then just stop doing what they were required to do in order to get them back.

Also, if mental illness or drug/alcohol addiction is a reason for removal, once the children are back, how does the agency ensure the parents are not off the wagon, no longer following any medical treatment required for mental illness?

Sorry so long, those are pretty much my questions and biggest concerns.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member