VA - Brantley Lloyd, 3, found deceased in clothes dryer, Virginia Beach, 7 Aug 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
The boy’s father told The Pilot on Friday that he awoke to find that his son, Brantley Lloyd, 3, had climbed out of his crib and into a clothes dryer.

Brantley had been living with his father full time since his mother moved out more than a year and a half ago.

The boy’s birthday was Aug. 6, the day before he was reported dead. On that day, the father said, Brantley was in a bad mood and throwing tantrums. He said he wouldn’t nap at day care and talked back to staff members.

5b7726118a344.image.jpg

more here: A 3-year-old is dead. His dad says he found the boy in the dryer.

He said he slept late Tuesday, Aug. 7, rather than going to work because he had been up all night with Brantley. When he woke up – he can’t remember what time that was – Brantley wasn’t in his crib, he said.

A 3-year-old is dead. His dad says he found the boy in the dryer.

I am confused.
TOD is between 5:30AM and 4:55PM
Does that mean the father slept all day?

Lloyd said Brantley wasn’t in his crib when he awoke and that the boy lacked a pulse when he was found. “He was unresponsive and covered in sweat and extremely hot,” Lloyd told the paper. “I don’t know if he panicked and couldn’t get out. He had asthma.”

Lloyd was evicted from his townhome a week after the boy’s death.

Dad says he found son, 3, dead in dryer

The boy was apparently in a bad mood and "wasn't being himself," both at day care and throughout the rest of his day.

After Lloyd said Brantley cried for hours on Aug. 6, he let the boy sleep on the couch for a bit before bringing him to his crib. On Aug. 7, Lloyd said he slept in because he was up all night with his son, and eventually found him unresponsive in the dryer.

Virginia boy, 3, found dead inside dryer in his home: report

RIP Brantley :(

How was he supposed to have closed the door from the inside? Is that possible?

My son likes to get in dryer when I am getting clothes out to be silly (and he loves a pile of warm clothes). If he pushes the door open hard enough from the inside it will bounce back and latch.

IMO Brantley did not cause is own death.

My son likes to get in dryer when I am getting clothes out to be silly (and he loves a pile of warm clothes). If he pushes the door open hard enough from the inside it will bounce back and latch.

IMO Brantley did not cause is own death.
Good info. I wonder if that is specific to your dryer or more common?

The previous dryer I had the door would also bounce back and clasp shut. This particular model would then continue to dry if it was opened in dry mode. As opposed to being off. Scary to think about if you have a toddler.
So his father didn’t check on him all those hours? Mmmkay.

If this was an accident, I really hope there will be laws ordering manufacturers to re-design the closing mechanism on those dryers!

In the UK I don't remember seeing anyone with a top-loading washing machine since the early 80s (which would have been one purchased in the 60s to 70s). Since then we've had front-loaders and you don't find top-loaders for sale.

I don't recall us ever having top-loading dryers for sale.

The machine I have is a combined washer/dryer and the shape and material of the inside of the door would preclude being able to close it from the inside whether by accident or on purpose. Even so, people have to be careful that a pet like a kitten hasn't gone to sleep in their machine as cats like nice warm places, especially if you've left your warm dried washing in there and left the door open, it's going to look attractive to a cat. But the instructions on machines also say that it's best to leave the door slightly ajar, UNLESS you have children, in which case safety comes first and leave the door closed at all times, and I think I would also probably go by that rule with kittens and cats if I had one.

There used to be occasional cases of children climbing into what we call chest freezers (I don't recall the US term for them) and the lid would close and be too hard to open from the inside, and there were deaths. Laws were brought in to order manufacturers to ensure that the lid could be opened from the inside if a child did get trapped in there.

Whatever the facts of this case turn out to be, I have read comments on news stories about this case with a lot of people saying their kids are climbing into these top-loader dryers and some of them have lids that close way too easily, some with magnetic clasps that a small child wouldn't be able to push open from the inside. I am reading them in absolute horror. I'm not trying to compare countries, I'm just saying that the front loaders seem harder for a child to close the door on themselves, and I am shocked that laws around the world haven't been changed to ensure that manufacturers modify their products to reduce risks of things like this happening.

Last edited:
IMO, and I KNOW it is not this simple but... have to say it, parents have a responsibility to teach their children what is harmful and what isn't. If you have a pool, teach your kids to swim, teach them to doggy paddle, teach them where the steps are, and teach them not to go in the water if there is no adult present. More importantly and something that IMO has gone by the wayside, teach them about the CONSEQUENCES. I recall learning not to put my hand into the garbage disposal. I remember learning what happens when things catch on fire.

Accidents absolutely happen - I do hope that's what this was but, well, we just have to wait and see. Regardless, terribly, terribly tragic.

IMO, and I KNOW it is not this simple but... have to say it, parents have a responsibility to teach their children what is harmful and what isn't. If you have a pool, teach your kids to swim, teach them to doggy paddle, teach them where the steps are, and teach them not to go in the water if there is no adult present. More importantly and something that IMO has gone by the wayside, teach them about the CONSEQUENCES. I recall learning not to put my hand into the garbage disposal. I remember learning what happens when things catch on fire.

Accidents absolutely happen - I do hope that's what this was but, well, we just have to wait and see. Regardless, terribly, terribly tragic.
I hope it’s a accident. But imo i have a hard time seeing it. I have a dryer. I have a newly turned 3 yr old. I don’t see the possibility. If I’m wrong I’ll be the first to own it. 3 yr olds are stubborn we teach and teach and teach. But he still likes to test the waters so to speak. Maybe I just have a stubborn guy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jab99
Back