Found Deceased VA - Bruce Rubin, 61, jogger, Primland Resort, Patrick Co., 2 July 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
yes…. I remember a case just like you described some years ago. The gentleman was found in a construction porta potty on his jogging route. I’m sorry I don’t remember his name or the location.

In Liberty, Missouri.....I don't recall his name but he was younger....I remember thinking the medical emergency situation didn't seem likely but lo and behold....

<modsnip>

A thought that really hurts me, is someone possibly hearing or seeing helicopters overhead, but not being able to move to flag them because of the state they are in.

SAR can head back out after the weather risk is lower. I'm still hopeful here. People have survived some incredible circumstances. Probability of survival is still there. IMO only

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn’t locate a previous weather report for Friday. I do know severe storms rolled through this area Thursday, not sure if Primland was in the storm path. Storm started around Floyd in the afternoon , high wind, heavy rain and rolled down the mountain into the valley.
Floyd. Patrick, Henry and Pittsylvania County were impacted.

This could make the trail slippery or cause land to give way close to a drop off.

I checked about six Patrick County F B pages, many are praying for Bruce and his family.

Last edited:
I couldn’t locate a previous weather report for Friday. I do know severe storms rolled through this area Thursday, not sure if Primland was in the storm path. Storm started around Floyd in the afternoon , high wind, heavy rain and rolled down the mountain into the valley.
Floyd. Patrick, Henry and Pittsylvania County were impacted.

This could make the trail slippery or cause land to give way close to a drop off.

I checked about six Patrick County F B pages, many or praying for Bruce and his family.

Years ago I did something that I know better to do. We're on day 2 of backpacking and within a mile of our overnight destination (drop packs, eat and sleep). I'm exhausted, my footing is getting heavy and sloppy. Instead of going over this large rock formation, I decide to shortcut around a pine tree that was maybe 20' from a drop off. By step 3-4 the ground is slipping along with me. I grab onto a tree branch. My husband snatched me hard by my pack and pulled me back. It all happened so fast and it could have been a fatal fall for me.

MOD NOTE

Websleuths welcomes all new members who are taking part in this discussion about missing runner Bruce Rubin. Websleuths has set intentionally high standards for membership and participation on the threads. We all agreed to these Terms of Service (TOS) when we joined, and it is helpful for members to review them HERE:
THE RULES

Of particular note is the guidance for providing information in your posts. Websleuths is a fact-based discussion site. Accordingly, anything you post as fact MUST be substantiated by a link to MSM (mainstream media publication). If you can’t link it, it can’t be posted, unless it is your opinion, and then must state that with a qualifier in your post.

The exceptions to this are IF you are close to the case as a friend or family, OR if you have professional expertise in procedural protocols in similar cases. Then we encourage you to apply for Verified Insider status. That allows you to state info you know to be true without the need for substantiating links. The VI process involves providing info to our Verification staff member, and may take several days. VI’s remain anonymous to the members, but your profile will be labeled Verified Insider. Members are free to accept or dismiss the info you share, but they are not permitted to argue or debate with a VI. If a member chooses not to apply for VI status, any inside info they have posted may be removed if it does not contain substantiation. Websleuths believes it is important to vet those discussing inside details on the threads in an effort to protect the victims, and their family and friends from unsubstantiated info. Rumors are not permitted on Websleuths.
HERE are the details of applying for VI status:
VERIFIED INSIDER PROCESS

Finally, we remind all members to carefully consider info posted by other members on Websleuths. If a post purports to contain inside information about a case or the member’s expertise, and they are NOT on the VI list, please help us by letting us know through the Report button at the bottom of the post.
HERE is the Verified Insider list to see who has been approved for this status:

VERIFIED INSIDERS LIST

Websleuths wants to invite all those folks who qualify to apply for VI status by nature of their inside or expertise knowledge. Websleuths is considered the gold standard of crime discussion sites, and we thank everyone who posts respectfully and responsibly for helping us maintain that reputation. Please feel free to PM a moderator with any questions. We are happy to help.

Websleuths and their members deeply care about crime victims and missing persons. May Bruce be found soon and returned to those who love him.

Faithfully,
CocoChanel
Administrator/Moderator

@designomnivore Thank you for all your help. Somehow knowing you were there when he was there and that you know that trail and are serious runners makes me feel a little bit better. What was the weather like each day you were there, post Bruce's disappearance? Was it nice every day or was there some bad weather where they had to stop the search? Today marks the end of day five

hello Friend - I’m glad I can give you some comfort. My heart goes out to you and Bruce’s family having to wait like this. To answer your question, it was raining the morning Bruce went missing. It had stopped by 11 (I know this because my husband and I postponed a tee time for the rain). It did not rain again through our stay. It was very windy Friday night but then very comfortable, not too hot or too chilly after that. My hope is that Bruce was not up high and in the wind that Friday night.

Still praying for Bruce’s rescue, and I still hold hope for his being found. He sounds like an extraordinary human, very tough and resourceful. If anyone can survive this, it sounds like it could be Bruce.

<modsnip>

Yes, it was the Red Trail (officially named Buzzard’s Roost but I did hear Primland staff call it just the “Red” trail) that my husband and I hiked and that I previously described to you.

I agree that some of the slopes off of that trail were very, very treacherous. We took it somewhat slowly at certain spots and this was on Monday when there hadn’t been rain for three days. And as I said before, the slopes were very steep, falling hundreds of feet at some points and very dense with vegetation (trees large and small, shrubs, small plants, etc). If Bruce fell from that trail, my guess (not my certainty) is that he could be hidden from view by all of the vegetation. I am very, very sorry to give you that description and opinion. I am still hoping and praying for a miracle for Bruce. Sending hugs of support to you now.

Thank you all for your support. I'm not sure how I'd get through this without having you guys to talk to, especially @Oriah and @designomnivore. No there isn't a single lead after all this time. And the search and rescue numbers have dropped from 150 to 20 people. As for the questions above: no way is this misadventure. No one has found his cell. No one saw him on the trail. They do know which trail he went out on. They have made herculean efforts and scanned crazy amounts of the mountain. (15,000 acres of land on just the resort itself). Yes, he is a very steady thinker. No it was not his anniversary. No, he never takes it easy on a run--he is one of those people who challenges himself on every hike, run or physical activity. He is extraordinarily experienced at anything you'd need to survive this. At this point my best guess is that he fell (the trail has drop offs along one side almost the entire way) and the dense covering is why they cannot find him. My hope though is that he is lost. The area is treacherous. Yes his wife is there and has her family with her. She is an eternally optimistic person and she will do everything possible to get him found. Bruce is one of the finest people I've ever known. I know if he is alive he can make it a little longer, but to know that the search must be called off for rain, and the rain is scheduled for 10 days is...well, no words.
He sounds like a remarkable man. My thoughts are with you and his family and other loved ones. I hope he is found safe.

@designomnivore were there signs or guidewires or posts or anything at all alerting you to how dangerous the trail was anywhere along the way? And if he had some medical event like a heart attack, could he have moved away from the ledge or were there places where it was too narrow and he might have fallen?

<modsnip>

@friendofbrucerubin we are praying for Bruce and his family and friends. I can’t keep them of my mind. I live here at the foot of Primland in the Valley. The rain stopped around 12:00 today and hopefully we won’t get anymore today. There is a chance of thunderstorms tomorrow. The wind is blowing a little bit so I’m hoping that will help dry up from the rain and praying they can continue to search tomorrow. SAR has been here in the valley everyday except for today. (I haven’t saw them today at least) .

@designomnivore were there signs or guidewires or posts or anything at all alerting you to how dangerous the trail was anywhere along the way? And if he had some medical event like a heart attack, could he have moved away from the ledge or were there places where it was too narrow and he might have fallen?

There did not appear to be signs alerting to any dangers but the path itself was not dangerous (in my opinion) just a difficult hike as far as terrain goes (with climbs and descents). What would be dangerous (again in my opinion) would be if someone had an accident or medical event that would cause them to involuntarily leave the path for some reason. The path was never too narrow to navigate safely, under normal circumstances, and there were always ways to exit the path safely if needed. Anytime there was a very steep drop to one side of the trail, there was a log at the edge of the trail to safely keep hikers on the path. The steep slope to one side of the path would only be treacherous if someone accidentally fell that direction, and it would have to be a pretty big accident or event for that to take place, again in my opinion. Does this help? I hope so.

I am so sad to see that Bruce hasn't been located yet. I was sincerely hoping that he had perhaps rolled an ankle or something and he would be just off the trail somewhere, hurt but ok. I'm praying for him and his family.

Thank you all for your support. I'm not sure how I'd get through this without having you guys to talk to, especially @Oriah and @designomnivore. No there isn't a single lead after all this time. And the search and rescue numbers have dropped from 150 to 20 people. As for the questions above: no way is this misadventure. No one has found his cell. No one saw him on the trail. They do know which trail he went out on. They have made herculean efforts and scanned crazy amounts of the mountain. (15,000 acres of land on just the resort itself). Yes, he is a very steady thinker. No it was not his anniversary. No, he never takes it easy on a run--he is one of those people who challenges himself on every hike, run or physical activity. He is extraordinarily experienced at anything you'd need to survive this. At this point my best guess is that he fell (the trail has drop offs along one side almost the entire way) and the dense covering is why they cannot find him. My hope though is that he is lost. The area is treacherous. Yes his wife is there and has her family with her. She is an eternally optimistic person and she will do everything possible to get him found. Bruce is one of the finest people I've ever known. I know if he is alive he can make it a little longer, but to know that the search must be called off for rain, and the rain is scheduled for 10 days is...well, no words.
Friendsofbrucerubin, thank you for all of this very pertinent info. Is there a way we can help support you better during this difficult time? It seems he must be off the trail somewhere, and it would not be the first time a hiker or runner was missed in a geographically difficult terrain, especially when inclement weather moves in. Elevation changes are particularly challenging in SAR work but miracles happen every day. Helicopters may not be as useful during times of this type of foliage as we have going on right...but the ledges and more open areas are still pretty clear and it seems maybe they could get up again tomorrow or the next day? The weather may pass sooner rather than later. Holding out hope for Bruce, who seems like a real survivor. We're with you.

Search for jogger suspended Wednesday due to impending rain event
SBM
In addition to the K-9 teams, the effort also has included equipment like infrared cameras and drones. In short, “we have used every tool available to us,” Smith said, and added the infrared cameras, which are designed to detect various types of heat, and drones could not be fully utilized due to the thick foliage and “heavy tree canopy.”
This article gives me hope that SAR and the entire community is committed to returning to their search efforts as soon as it is safely possible. At least it appears the wet weather has ceased. Hoping the sun comes out strong and dries things up quickly. It also gives me hope that there are quite a number of very specialized teams and units working on finding Bruce. He's definitely got some of the best on his side.

Praying that Bruce is found soon.
I hope the searchers can get out there as soon as it gets dried up.
Sounds like there are some great teams out there looking for him.

I know it is difficult to look under every single foliage and tree and I feel he may have gotten under something like that.

Prayers for his friends and family.
Keep the faith... sounds like he is an experienced runner and survivor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back