VA - Cullen, 1, Emily Bivens, 24, & Joan Bernard, 62, Pittsylvania, murdered, 26 Aug 2019 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What do y’all think Joan’s body being found in the family’s driveway? Did she notice him first and tried to get away and then he shot her? - or- Were all three shot at the same time and she was able to live long enough to run? - or- what are your thoughts? Emily and her son had gunshots to the head. I can’t find where Joan was shot? When did he go get the sledgehammer? With the rifle hidden in the woods, did he lie in wait for them? -or- did he think he would be able to get away and hideout in the woods?

When did he strip off his clothes?
I have also read that the family dog was killed. That just puts this over the top for me. I think that might be where the sledge hammer comes in. I read that all three family members were shot in the head and the casings were by the bodies. I wonder if dad his after he heard the shots and that's why he survived. But I also read he was in the hospital. Article didn't say if he was injured or why he was in the hospital. Actually, that's all I've seen mentioned about the father.

Upon inspection of the house, deputies found all three victims had shell casings near them and two had visible gunshot wounds to the head, according to the document. A bloody sledgehammer was in the garage.

A rifle was found in the woods behind the house, the document stated
Criminal complaint offers details in Keeling triple homicide

Photos: Scenes from the triple homicide investigation in Keeling

View attachment 200854
New details released in horrific family killings that stunned quiet Virginia town

Thank you.

I would think there is a documented history of mental illness. I'm sure his DT will use this as a defense especially since he should have a provable history of such illness.

Since they arrested him quickly I'm sure the judge signed off on a warrant for his blood to be drawn for toxicology testing. Those results will matter greatly both to the defense, and the state.

Usually the presiding judge over the case will let the state have someone evaluate the defendant if the defendant claims mental illness as a defense, and the defense will be allowed to have a mental health doctor also evaluate him of course.

Since judges know most of the time the opinions of opposing parties have polar opposite opinions, the judge themselves will also appoint, or select their own outside mental health professional to do their evaluation for the court.

It will be interesting to see if he's ruled incompetent to stand trial or ruled competent.

I'm not sure what will happen when he's actually evaluated. I've seen so many families in the past say the defendant was mentally ill, but when evaluated by doctors most all I've seen were ruled competent, and weren't declared mentally ill at the time they killed.

It does bother me somewhat that after murdering them he put the murder weapon in the woods instead of dropping it where he used it.

It takes cognitive thought to relocated the weapon away from the murder scene where LE had to search for it in order for it be found.

Jmho

Last edited:
I can't even begin to imagine how out of your mind you'd have to be to murder a) anyone b) a family member c) a baby. I work with someone who went to school with two of the people involved in this case so I've remained quiet but I just wanted to pop in and say I am absolutely heartbroken for this family. I do think this was a psychotic break especially given his age, but it will be interesting (not the right word) to hear if there were any drugs involved. I don't know how Blake Bivens and the rest of the family members will be able to recover from this, but I will have them in my prayers for a long time.

Also throwing in my 2 cents about LE- BRAVO for not pulling a weapon. I would've been surprised if they had given this community, but I did wince when I saw the suspects hands around the church member's throat. That was tough to watch and I'm very glad the suspect quickly let go, but I did question the police officer in that split second. But I guess that's why they're the professionals and I am not!! They did the right thing in the end and hopefully the suspect is getting the help he so clearly needs and the family is able to come together and move forward from this atrocious event.

ETA I think this is an important message for all of us to remember- from the prayer service held in Danville a family friend Penny Bartee said "We're all grieving ... we're in pain, but we're there for one another and that's the most important thing for people to know. That you are there. It's called the ministry of presence, just being there"
Grieving community gathers to honor victims and families affected by triple murder
Reach out to someone who may be struggling and let them know you're there. It may make a difference.
Maybe this is the police member that saved Matthew from getting shot. Canine to the rescue.

Bernard was found emerging from a wooded area naked and unarmed and, after initially avoiding capture, was apprehended with the help of a police dog.
Investigators still searching for answers in Rays-related deaths | Tampa Bay Times

Thank you.

I would think there is a documented history of mental illness. I'm sure his DT will use this as a defense especially since he should have a provable history of such illness.

Since they arrested him quickly I'm sure the judge signed off on a warrant for his blood to be drawn for toxicology testing. Those results will matter greatly both to the defense, and the state.

Usually the presiding judge over the case will let the state have someone evaluate the defendant if the defendant claims mental illness as a defense, and the defense will be allowed to have a mental health doctor also evaluate him of course.

Since judges know most of the time the opinions of opposing parties have polar opposite opinions, the judge themselves will also appoint, or select their own outside mental health professional to do their evaluation for the court.

It will be interesting to see if he's ruled incompetent to stand trial or ruled competent.

I'm not sure what will happen when he's actually evaluated. I've seen so many families in the past say the defendant was mentally ill, but when evaluated by doctors most all I've seen were ruled competent, and weren't declared mentally ill at the time they killed.

It does bother me somewhat that after murdering them he put the murder weapon in the woods instead of dropping it where he used it.

It takes cognitive thought to relocated the weapon away from the murder scene where LE had to search for it in order for it be found.

Jmho
Another perspective would be that he was hallucinating and seeing his mother, sister, nephew, and the dog as demons and after shooting them took the weapon with him as protection from his perceived notion that demons were out to get him. Thus hiding in the woods. Not sure of the significance of taking his clothes off but a lot of mentally people seem to do that. I have to look back because I didn’t initially get the sense he hid the weapon. Thought it was with his clothes where he had apparently been for a few hours after the murders.
The sledge hammer was found with blood on it so if one was to assume he also used this to kill he didn’t hide that.
By all intense purposes this young man seemed to be loved by many in his family and community and so for me, tho the murders are horrific and unimaginable i’m Having a hard time grasping how he would suddenly just become evil and with plan and intent knowingly and competently carry this out. The only logically explanation I can come up with is extreme illness of the brain. JMHO

Another perspective would be that he was hallucinating and seeing his mother, sister, nephew, and the dog as demons and after shooting them took the weapon with him as protection from his perceived notion that demons were out to get him. Thus hiding in the woods. Not sure of the significance of taking his clothes off but a lot of mentally people seem to do that. I have to look back because I didn’t initially get the sense he hid the weapon. Thought it was with his clothes where he had apparently been for a few hours after the murders.
The sledge hammer was found with blood on it so if one was to assume he also used this to kill he didn’t hide that.
By all intense purposes this young man seemed to be loved by many in his family and community and so for me, tho the murders are horrific and unimaginable i’m Having a hard time grasping how he would suddenly just become evil and with plan and intent knowingly and competently carry this out. The only logically explanation I can come up with is extreme illness of the brain. JMHO
The fact that he went to the neighbors house first indicates to me he had specific targets in mind and realized he was at the wrong residence.

Here's what I put together:

Thursday, August 28th:
*Arraignment Hearing-Postponed (@ am ET) – VA – Emily Marie Bernard Bivens (25), Cullen Micah Bivens (14 mos.) & Joan Bernard (62) (August 27, 2019, Pittsylvania) - *Matthew Thomas Bernard (19) (bro of Emily, son of Joan) arrested & charged (8/27/19) with 3 counts of 1st degree murder & 3 counts of using a firearm in the commission of a felony. Held with bond. On suicide watch.
8/28/19 Update: Arraignment hearing was cancelled, as Bernard was hospitalized.
Just an FYI in case it's important later for referral...date is wrong... Thursday, today, is August 29th.

What do y’all think Joan’s body being found in the family’s driveway? Did she notice him first and tried to get away and then he shot her? - or- Were all three shot at the same time and she was able to live long enough to run? - or- what are your thoughts? Emily and her son had gunshots to the head. I can’t find where Joan was shot? When did he go get the sledgehammer? With the rifle hidden in the woods, did he lie in wait for them? -or- did he think he would be able to get away and hideout in the woods?

When did he strip off his clothes?

I will go back and look at one of the newscasts.
Perhaps he ran off and his parents went looking for him. Maybe this was when he punched the neighbor in the arm? He goes back to his house. His mother hears gunshots and comes up the driveway and encounters Matthew.

Emily and her son had gunshots to the head. I can’t find where Joan was shot?

Can you help me find the source that says that Emily and the baby were the two victims with visible gunshot wounds to the head? I assumed the two adults would be the ones thus described (and that perhaps the toddler was murdered with a different weapon...it’s too awful and gruesome for me to say anything beyond that). But if you’re able to point me towards the news that says Emily and the child were the two victims with gunshot wounds to their heads, I’d appreciate it.

Can you help me find the source that says that Emily and the baby were the two victims with visible gunshot wounds to the head? I assumed the two adults would be the ones thus described (and that perhaps the toddler was murdered with a different weapon...it’s too awful and gruesome for me to say anything beyond that). But if you’re able to point me towards the news that says Emily and the child were the two victims with gunshot wounds to their heads, I’d appreciate it.

About half way day in this article is a screen shot the complaint form. It states the adults were shot in the head, child shot wound not noted.

Court docs: Victims found with gunshot wounds to head, sledgehammer found with blood

Lillymac said:
Just an FYI in case it's important later for referral...date is wrong... Thursday, today, is August 29th.

Oops! :rolleyes: Sorry! - that should have read - Wednesday, August 28th. Not Thursday...

I did see in another article that mention that the arraignment was schedule for today, 8/30. But then 2 other articles mention 8/28.

279BB63E-6004-42A6-A79C-2BBFB6689AFF.jpeg

My heart was turned to ash, my life as I knew it is destroyed.': Tampa Bay Rays pitching prospect Blake Bivens breaks his silence to share his 'unbearable' grief after his wife, toddler son and mother-in-law are 'murdered by his teen brother-in-law'

Pitcher Blake Bivens breaks his silence over horrific killing of his wife, son and mother-in-law | Daily Mail Online

Blake’s statement was absolutely heartbreaking and devastating to read. I’m so sorry for the unimaginable pain and suffering he and his loved ones are feeling.

Thank you Momof4RN! Much appreciated! :)

re article posted above - That is so heart breaking... that poor man!
19x19px-LL-65b787d8_16.gif

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BanPokies1
Back