VA VA - Dashad "Sage" Smith, 19, Charlottesville, 20 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If Elizabeth Smart Was America’s Daughter, Who is Dashad “Sage” Smith?

With statistics like this, it’s clear that not every single missing child case can reach Elizabeth Smart-level popularity. But what happens when a teenager who’s a near opposite of Smart disappears? Does the public have the same sympathy for an African-American transgender teen as they do for a wholesome blonde?

<snipped>

Source: If Elizabeth Smart Was America’s Daughter, Who is Dashad “Sage” Smith?

How sad and terrible to go pick up your child for the holidays and she is just gone! Hope Sage's family knows there are a lot of people who do care. I think Sage was abducted. I hope they checked the pings on the phones of the person she was supposed to meet that night and her phone. This is terrible! Prayers for the family! There family needs to know the answers :please:!

:bump:

Has anyone heard any new information about Sage's case? :(

The Cost of Searching for Dashad 'Sage' Smith

The search for a missing transgender man has Charlottesville Police asking City Council for more money.

Police are asking City Council for an additional $127,000, the amount of money the department spent to search a Henrico landfill multiple times for evidence related to the disappearance of Dashad “Sage” Smith.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/The-Cost-of-Searching-for-Dashad-Sage-Smith-207921031.html

Charlottesville Police Get Budget Boost After Dashad Search

The Charlottesville Police Department has been granted a budget supplement, after spending $127,000 on a "critical investigation that required extraordinary measures."

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headli...dget-Boost-After-Dashad-Search-208267361.html

Records show persistence in search for 'Sage'

[snip]

The records &#8212; including emails, social media postings and search warrants &#8212; detail city investigators&#8217; attempts to track down Smith, last seen at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 20, when he bumped into his roommate&#8217;s sister in the 500 block of West Main Street. He told her he planned to meet a man, court records state.

Relatives and friends of Smith have expressed frustration over investigators&#8217; efforts, citing other cases that have garnered more attention, like that of Morgan Harrington, the Virginia Tech student whose 2009 disappearance outside John Paul Jones Arena triggered a massive search.

[snip]

He often goes by the name "Sage," and wears women's clothing, but does not consider himself to be transgender, a family spokesman said in March.

[snip]

McFadden, 22, told city police he did not see Smith that night, court records state. McFadden later confided in an email to his former girlfriend that the two had met up and said Smith tried to blackmail him, according to the records.

More: http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/r...cle_ce4c851e-e6ad-11e2-a3ea-0019bb30f31a.html

I was about to go on a tirade about the media not respecting Sage and a trans* person, always using "him" and "Sage" in quotes. But then his family says Sage doesn't live as trans*. I wonder if that's Sage speaking or just the family's thoughts/opinion.

Regardless, that's not the most important thing here. A PERSON is missing and they need to be found. I'm glad it appears the investigation is ongoing.

Documents Released In Missing C'Ville Teen Case, Family Still Has Faith

Court documents made public show who and what city investigators have been working on in this case since Smith disappeared in November 2012.

The documents included search warrants, emails and phone records.

The court documents show that the last person Smith interacted with by phone was Erik McFadden and the two were apparently going to meet at the Amtrak station off of West Main Street in Charlottesville.

The records show McFadden first told investigators he had no knowledge of Dashad's disappearance and did not see him on November 20th.

But later, investigators were contacted by McFadden's girlfriend at the time who said her boyfriend was missing. She also told them that in an email she received, McFadden admitted that he had seen and talked to Smith that night - the documents stated. Also in that email, McFadden says Smith was blackmailing him.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/214679321.html

Documents Released In Missing C'Ville Teen Case, Family Still Has Faith

Court documents made public show who and what city investigators have been working on in this case since Smith disappeared in November 2012.

The documents included search warrants, emails and phone records.

The court documents show that the last person Smith interacted with by phone was Erik McFadden and the two were apparently going to meet at the Amtrak station off of West Main Street in Charlottesville.

The records show McFadden first told investigators he had no knowledge of Dashad's disappearance and did not see him on November 20th.

But later, investigators were contacted by McFadden's girlfriend at the time who said her boyfriend was missing. She also told them that in an email she received, McFadden admitted that he had seen and talked to Smith that night - the documents stated. Also in that email, McFadden says Smith was blackmailing him.

http://www.newsplex.com/home/headlines/214679321.html

That's motive right there. Why would he say that ? Man, this blows :(

It's so sad to me that this case has had little movement and activity on part of Law Enforcement efforts. I first heard of this back when he first went missing. I was on UVA's campus visiting a friend and saw a missing poster at a bus stop. Is there anything that has happened recently as far as this case goes?

Also a 17 year old female has gone missing in the same area (Charlottesville/Shipman/Lynchburg) however her case has a lot more movement. I'd like to see his case be picked up at a similar speed.

It is amazing how some cases get huge attention and others almost none at all. I have no idea if Sage and Alexis knew each other, but two missing and so close in age, location and time. . . You aren't forgotten Sage.

Family of Dashad Smith Maintain Community Awareness

The family of missing Charlottesville man Dashad "Sage" Smith wants to keep the community aware of his case.

The grandmother of the transgendered 19-year-old attended the Charlottesville Pride Festival on Saturday. Smith attended the first festival last year, and his family wanted to make sure he was represented.

[snip]

There is a $10,000 reward for information that leads to where Smith is.

More: http://www.newsplex.com/home/headli...h-Maintain-Community-Awareness-223777001.html

I was about to go on a tirade about the media not respecting Sage and a trans* person, always using "him" and "Sage" in quotes. But then his family says Sage doesn't live as trans*. I wonder if that's Sage speaking or just the family's thoughts/opinion.

Regardless, that's not the most important thing here. A PERSON is missing and they need to be found. I'm glad it appears the investigation is ongoing.

Snipped. I agree with everything you've said. I wonder about that too since I'm always concerned about trans* people being misgendered in the media, though at the same time I wonder if that was just what the family thought or believed and didn't know or like the full version of the story. But like you say, what matters is that a human being is missing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6
Back