VA VA - Dashad "Sage" Smith, 19, Charlottesville, 20 Nov 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does Anyone Know how I can get in contact with any of her family members . I would like to offer my services to help find her.
I would read everything here, everything on the FB page, and the comments to various news articles from Cville sources first so you can understand the family dynamic. Different family members appear to have different views and feelings on the case. I would also consider contacting Kenny Jarrels from Help Save the Next Girl. I believe he had some boots-on-the-ground/first hand experience with the case early on.

Sage Smith, 19, was last seen around 6:30 p.m. Nov. 20, 2012, near the Amtrak station in Charlottesville, Virginia. According to police, Sage and a man named Erik McFadden were planning to meet that evening, but McFadden later told authorities “the meeting never took place.” Police said that a detective made brief contact with McFadden immediately after Sage’s disappearance, “but [he] failed to show up to a scheduled interview with police and reportedly left town.” The Charlottesville Police Department continues to ask for the public’s help in locating Erik McFadden, now age 28, whom police have identified as a “critical person of interest” in what they believe is the homicide of Sage Smith. In November of 2012, Sage, whose given name was Dashad, came out as a transgender woman and changed her gender to “female” on Facebook. Local and federal agencies have spent “countless months and hours” scouring through evidence, interviews and witness statements. Despite their efforts, Public Information Officer Tyler Hawn told Dateline in November 2020 that the case remains unsolved. Sage Smith is described as being 5’11” and weighing about 130 lbs. Sage was last seen wearing a black jacket, dark gray sweatpants, a black scarf and gray boots. There is a $20,000 reward being offered for information that may lead to finding Sage’s remains or an arrest in the case. If you have any information on what happened to Sage, or the whereabouts of McFadden, please contact Det. Regine Wright at (434) 970-3381 or Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000.
Seven years of Dateline's Missing in America: 156 still missing

I see that E. McFadden doesn't have a thread. And I can see why no one wants to touch that with a 50-foot-pole.

But I'd start one if anyone thinks it would be helpful? He is in NamUs, and the write-up of his case is sad. I won't speculate about his actions but sad for his family too.

Posted this on other threads..
Nov 21 2021
"It’s our job to bring them home. If not us, who?”#BlackAndMissingHBO, an @HBO original documentary series following Black and Missing Foundation's fight to bring awareness to marginalized missing persons cases. Black and Missing premieres November 23 at 8PM on @hbomax.''

Sage a was teenager on the path of self-discovery when she went missing in November 2012. She left her apartment in Charlottesville, VA, and headed down to Main street. She stopped to talk to talk to her stepsister, to whom she told she she was off to meet up with a man at the Amtrak station. After that, Sage was never seen again. This is her story.

3 Unidentified Person Exclusions:

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP14949
Date Body FoundApril 05, 2016
StateMO
CountyJackson

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP15408
Date Body FoundMay 06, 2016
StateMD
CountyFrederick

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP14890
Date Body FoundMarch 13, 2016
StateVA
CountyChesterfield

DEC 15, 2022
Sage Smith

sage_smith.jpg

Sage Smith was last seen around 6:30 p.m. on November 20, 2012, near the Amtrak station in Charlottesville, Virginia. Earlier that month, Sage, whose given name was Dashad, came out as transgender and changed her gender to “female” on Facebook. According to a 2016 press release from the Charlottesville Police Department, the 19-year-old and a man named Erik McFadden had planned to meet on the evening of November 20, 2012. McFadden later told authorities “the meeting never took place.” Police said that a detective made brief contact with McFadden immediately after Sage’s disappearance, “but [he] failed to show up to a scheduled interview with police and reportedly left town.” The Charlottesville Police Department has asked for the public’s help in locating Erik McFadden, whom police have identified as a “critical person of interest” in what they believe Sage’s homicide. In 2019, former Charlottesville Police Captain Jim Mooney said at a press conference that local and federal agencies have spent “countless months and hours” scouring through evidence, interviews and witness statements. Last year, Charlottesville Police Sergeant Tony Newberry stressed to Dateline that even though there have been no recent updates, it remains an active investigation and the department has “dedicated resources to the case so it can be worked full-time.” According to a Charlottesville press release from 2020, “a $10,000 reward is being offered through Crime Stoppers, and an additional $10,000 is being matched by the City of Charlottesville for information leading to an arrest in Smith’s case.” Last month on the 10-year anniversary of Sage’s disappearance, a post on the ‘Hope for Sage Smith’ Facebook page noted the lack of answers in Sage’s case and paid tribute to her. “Today and every day,” the post stated, “we remember Sage and the love and joy that she brought to her family and friends.” Sage is described as being 5’11” and weighing about 130 lbs. She was last seen wearing a black jacket, dark gray sweatpants, a black scarf and gray boots. If you have any information on what happened to Sage, or know the whereabouts of Eric McFadden, please call the tip line for Sage Smith’s case at (434) 970-3381 or Crime Stoppers at (434) 977-4000.

Sage's NamUs profile was modified today, 1/27/23
Currently, 5 rule outs are listed
I hope one day Sage's family has answers about his disappearance.

1674836075337.png

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP77018
Date Body Found December 29, 2020
State SC
County Charleston

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP14949
Date Body Found April 05, 2016
State MO
County Jackson

Case Photo

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP15408