GUILTY VA - Donta Williams, 22, Portsmouth, 20 Jan 2015 *Arrests*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Man pleads guilty in Suffolk beating death

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/crime/man-pleads-guilty-in-suffolk-beating-death/article_0b1c6daa-536b-5f4b-b995-c303eeb45792.html

One of three men accused of fatally beating a 22-year-old and dumping his body in a lake has pleaded guilty to first-degree murder.

Kyle Lamar Purvis, 22, also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit murder, under an agreement earlier this month. Prosecutors declined to pursue two additional charges against him.

Johnson, 26, and McCoy, 22, are awaiting trial in Circuit Court. Purvis is to be sentenced Sept. 14.

This article gives a little more information on the motive.

http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/2016/08/31/donta-didnt-need-enemies/

The four knew each other through a combination of school and church. All four of them, at one time or another, had attended New Abundant Life Christian Center, but McCoy and Williams were the most involved at the church.

The problems started when McCoy got mad about rumors Williams was supposedly spreading within the church about McCoy’s mother.

During his testimony, Johnson said he walked in on the plot to kill Williams between McCoy and Purvis, who were living together at the time, a few days before the attack.

“I asked him was he serious about what he was saying and why was he going to do it,” Johnson testified. The only answer from McCoy was “Yes.”

“There were issues between the two that I thought they had resolved, but apparently there was some grudge,” Johnson testified.

Man sentenced to life plus 10 years in beating death of friend at Suffolk lake

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/crime/man-sentenced-to-life-plus-years-in-fatal-beating-death/article_7eb2279b-95bf-59bf-8e5e-3cd52ed9f5e4.html

You didn’t just kill Donta Williams, the judge told Kyle Lamar Purvis. “You tortured him to death.”

Farmer said he struggles every day in weighing what punishment to give the men and women before him. But not in this case.

He sentenced Purvis to life in prison plus 10 years for his role in the January 2015 beating death of Williams, 22. Purvis is the first of three men to be sentenced in the case. All have been convicted.

Purvis, 22, pleaded guilty earlier this year to first-degree murder and conspiracy. Under an agreement, prosecutors declined to pursue two additional charges against him: murder by mob and shooting, stabbing, cutting or wounding.

A jury last month found McCoy guilty on all charges and recommended he serve two life terms plus 15 years in prison. He will be sentenced by a judge Nov. 28.

Johnson entered an Alford plea last month to charges of murder by mob, conspiracy and shooting, stabbing, cutting or wounding. The plea meant he did not admit guilt but acknowledged prosecutors likely had enough evidence to convict him. He is scheduled for sentencing Dec. 1.

http://pilotonline.com/news/local/crime/man-sentenced-to-two-life-terms-plus-years-in-beating/article_475d4dff-9184-5b38-95ae-f0ab4c5e32de.html

Circuit Judge Carl Eason Jr. on Monday sentenced McCoy to the maximum: two life terms plus 15 years in prison.

Jurors earlier this year convicted McCoy, 23, of first-degree murder, conspiracy, murder by mob and shooting, stabbing, cutting or wounding in the January 2015 beating death of 22-year-old Donta Williams. They recommended the maximum punishment, which the judge imposed Monday.

At Monday's hearing, McCoy said Williams was his “best friend," adding that he talks about him all the time in jail.

“I miss him beyond measure,” he said.

McCoy said he got caught up with the “wrong crowd.”

But the judge said it was McCoy who was part of that wrong crowd.

“You are the problem,” Eason said.

Man gets 20 years for murder

http://www.suffolknewsherald.com/2017/02/23/man-gets-20-years-for-murder/

Tremayne La’ron Johnson, 27, invoked religion in a speech following the sentencing hearing to his family, several members of which were seated behind him.

“I want to encourage your hearts. I want to encourage your minds,” he said. “Despite what sentence has been imposed on me today, God is still God. He still sits on the throne. My victory in God is still certain.”

Johnson was sentenced to an active sentence of 20 years for the murder of 22-year-old Donta Williams.

He also was the first to come forward about what happened to Williams and was willing to testify against his co-defendants. He ultimately testified against McCoy.

“The commonwealth found his information to be truthful and accurate,” prosecutor Matthew Glassman said Thursday. “He withstood a grueling cross-examination.”

But other factors were that he knew about the plan beforehand and did not come forward afterward until after Williams’ body had been found — an agonizing month and a half for the Portsmouth man’s family.

“Even though my son Tremayne did not commit the murder, he was still in the presence of the murder and aware of the murder,” said his mother, Emma Waters. “His whole inner person has changed. He has told me repeatedly, ‘Mom, I wish I would have listened to you.’”

Glassman argued for an active sentence of 20 years.

“I think it’s appropriate when you consider the totality of the circumstances,” he said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back