VA - Grateful Dead Fan - Unidentified male, 26 June 1995 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The following article is over ten years old, but it contains a lot of factual information about this case. Note that the phone number listed at the end might not be valid today.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Hitchhiker Killed In '95 Crash Still Unidentified
The Washington Times
Sunday, July 7, 1996
By Bill Baskervill, Associated Press

Emporia, VA -- A year after his death, a young man with a star tattooed on his arm, Grateful Dead concert ticket stubs in his pocket and a letter from two Carolines lies unidentified on a cold mortuary slab.

He was in his 20's -- and except for the letter -- carried no identification on June 26, 1995 when the Volkswagen van in which he was riding rammed two large loblolly pines along Route 58 three miles west of Emporia.

In the pockets of his Levi's 505 jeans were the ticket stubs, four quarters, a yellow cigarette lighter and this note: "To Jason, Sorry we had to go. See you around. Caroline O. and Caroline T."

Jason - if that is his name - waits for someone to claim his remains from the state Medical Examiner's Office in Richmond.

"I would like to find out who he is and close it out," said State Police Trooper T. E. Jones who is frustrated by the leads on the man's identity.

Trooper Jones said the driver of the van, Michael Eric Hager, 21, of Inman, SC, aparently fell asleep. Mr. Hager, a student at the University of South Carolina, and his lone passenger were flung through the windshield and into the trees, Trooper Jones said. Both died of massive head injuries.

The Trooper believes the passenger had attended a Grateful Dead concert in Washington's RFK Stadium the weekend before the Monday accident.

He said Mr. Hager left his girlfriend's Fairfax County home around 7:45 a.m. on the day of the crash and picked up the hitchhiker later. Mr. Hager drove to his father's house in Gloucester County, where neighbors told the trooper they remembered seeing another man with Mr. Hager. The two left Gloucester County about noon, according to the message Mr. Hager left for his father. That would have put them at the accicent scene about 1:30 p.m., the trooper said.

Mr. Hager was enroute to his mother's home in Inman. Where the hitchhiker was headed is not known. Evidently, he was not following the Grateful Dead tour because the band's next date was in the Midwest and Mr. Hager was headed south, Trooper Jones noted.

The hitchhiker was wearing a Gratreful Dead Summer Tour 1995 T-shirt, light blue denim jeans, blue Fila athletic shoes, white athletic socks and macrame and bead necklaces. He was white, 5 teet 8 inches tall, 169 pounds. He had shoulder-length brown hair and brown eyes.

A crudely drawn star tattoo was on his upper left arm. His left earlobe was pierced, but there was no earring.

Trooper Jones has run the hitchhiker's fingerprints through the FBI database and sent his description to every police agency in the country to no avail. He found the man who sold the two Grateful Dead tickets, but to someone other than the hitchhiker. The tickets, for seats in separate sections of RFK Stadium, could have changed hands many times before the hitchhiker got them.

The next step is to check the fingerprints with the Secret Service, which has a larger database than the FBI, the trooper said.

Gladys Culp of Salisbury, NC took up Jason's cause by shopping the story to news organizations. She has mailed journalists copies of a Virginia State Police sketch of the man and a summary of the case.

"I just felt bad there would be somebody that young out there," said Mrs. Culp, who has sons ages 17, 18, and 21. "Maybe he has a family searching for him."

Robert Holloway, administrator of the state Medical Examiner's Office, said it is unusual for a body to remain unidentified for as long as the hitchhiker's. The state will hold the body indefinitely, he said.

Authorities urge anyone with information about the hitchhiker to call Virginia State Police Trooper Jones at 804-634-4454

----------------------
note: The article also had a copy of an artist's sketch of the unknown man which has been posted on many websites since. Under it was the following caption: This is a sketch of the unidentified man who died in a June 26, 1995, crash near Emporia, Va.

Hello everyone,

There was a possible identification in a Grateful Dead forum. I looked up the name and found the address and family. I reported this tip to the Missing Children’s site, and the Virginia Medical Examiner’s office and emaild them, but the person who was assigned to he case no longer worked there, my emails were discarded.

I called around and finally tracked down the office and person in charge of the case but didn’t talk to her directly. One of her colleagues said she would tell her.

I followed up with a phone call and left a message but still haven’t heard back.

It’s only been two weeks. I’m going to call again tomorrow and find a personal email.

But it has been frustrating! No one will even bother to return a call or email, saying yes or no!

I haven’t posted any personal information on the possible victim’s family. Also, I want to try and contact the VME again, so there wont be any misunderstanding.

I didn’t want to call this family on my own, so I’ll call the police tomorrow also, and I might need some help if I keep getting ignored.

I’ll check back in next week and let you know if anyone has done anything with the possible ID.

John

islanders said:
Hello everyone,

There was a possible identification in a Grateful Dead forum. I looked up the name and found the address and family. I reported this tip to the Missing Children’s site, and the Virginia Medical Examiner’s office and emaild them, but the person who was assigned to he case no longer worked there, my emails were discarded.

I called around and finally tracked down the office and person in charge of the case but didn’t talk to her directly. One of her colleagues said she would tell her.

I followed up with a phone call and left a message but still haven’t heard back.

It’s only been two weeks. I’m going to call again tomorrow and find a personal email.

But it has been frustrating! No one will even bother to return a call or email, saying yes or no!

I haven’t posted any personal information on the possible victim’s family. Also, I want to try and contact the VME again, so there wont be any misunderstanding.

I didn’t want to call this family on my own, so I’ll call the police tomorrow also, and I might need some help if I keep getting ignored.

I’ll check back in next week and let you know if anyone has done anything with the possible ID.

Fabulous news, this case has really bothered me for a long time.

islanders said:
Hello everyone,

John
Wow John!!! That would be so great if you found his family!!

if you need any help at all, please message me. I really want to see this guy ID'd and properly buried.

Much love and peace,
Kashmir

I first posted this case on a Grateful Dead Forum back in 1996, about a year after the fatal accident which claimed this young man's life. There were some interesting comments and hints toward possible identifications or links to "missing" friends. I remember persons who thought that it might be this "Jason" or that "Jason", but they usually could only provide a vague description or memory. Nothing came of it.

Both the Missing and Exploited Childrens Agency and Virginia Medical Examiner are following though with the lead I mentioned. I did get an email and they said they would let me know if it panned out.

It was good lead. Someone said that looks just like someone they traveled with , and gave a name and location, but there is also a margin of error with a photo like that…

Anyway, when I hear something I’ll report back.

Is the lead you gave them a guy (I won't say the name out of respect) from Pa?

the reason I ask is because I recently talked to the man who's in charge of the case at the Center for Missing and Exploited Children with a lead of my own (than didn't pan out....damn) and they mentioned this other good lead.

I'm still trying........

Just saw his case on UM last night, think we'll ever crack this one?

I hope this one is solved I have been watching it for years. I guess because he would be my age also this happened not to far from where I live and I have driven by there many times it's the quickest way to 95 south from Va Beach

This case was an alert on unsolved mysteries. It aired again last week on LRW.
I have also posted him on my sitefor missing ,murdered and unidentified kids.
I have to belive there are anguished parents somewhere searching for their son.

This case is so frustrating because it seems so solvable! He's got a very distinct look, he's associated with a particular group, there is a phone number on the note -- it just seems like something that would have been resolved right away.

I'm beginning to be inclined toward what someone else had said earlier: maybe his people do know his fate, but for whatever reason (money?) have chosen not to reveal his identity.

Or maybe he's just some poor lost kid, a runaway or a throwaway, and nobody even cares that he's missing. Nobody is looking for him.

I'd better stop before I sink further into depression...

Last month, there was a post on the Gathering of the Vibes forum in which "Mindbender" stated that he had seen a young fellow who looked exactly like Jason Doe at a Grateful Dead concert at Nassau Colliseum, Long Island. He dates the concert as 4/4/93 or 3/24/94. The interesting part is that at the end of the show the fellow who looked like Jason was dancing around naked and security was ready to apprehend him. Mindbender speculates that perhaps there was an arrest for indecent exposure resulting from the incident, which would give us the name of our possible person.

I just found this link and it's hitting home because I attended this concert and drove his route. I came up from Savannah, Ga from art school that summer to see the Dead at RFK and then traveled home back down I95.

The thing nagging me is that I have this faint recall of a Rainbow Gathering happening in Ocala, FL during that time and a lot of people from the concert leaving to go to Ocala - or go "back" to Ocala. The Dead/Rainbow connection is very strong.

I'm not sure about my memory on this - but has his picture been posted at the various Rainbow Websites? If no one is claiming this kid - it makes sense that he would have maybe traveled with the family since you kind of can easily drop out of society when doing so. People stop showing up all the time so if his main contacts were through the Rainbows - it would have a chance of not being reported.

These are not usually folks that watch TV or surf the web - to have seen that he was killed - but would care, very very much. I noticed that the more technologically friendly of the crowd have started using the web for communicating and such - I'd be happy to post his picture and info at the sites I know of, if no one else has.

Wonderful people, by the way and will bend over backwards to help.

I did post at a couple of boards that I know are frequented by Rainbows.

The cool thing is that there is a good reason for there to be a lot of traffic from Eastern Coast people that frequent those gatherings/ Dead shows and the like right now - so it was a good time to draw attention to him on those boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat