Identified! VA - Gum Spring, Male skeletal remains w/ pistol, Bible, Nov'13 - Hansen Franklin

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Possibly, depending on how weathered the tooth is. If they were intact in the jaw, they can probably get DNA, but if they were loose on the ground, they might have weathered too much.

But it's more likely that the local ME just didn't have the tools, expertise, and/or equipment to extract the DNA. Also, the process destroys part of the tooth, so they'd want to make sure they had all the photos, x-rays, reconstructions etc. finished before they performed the extraction.

That makes sense, carbuff! Thank you...and even if they get DNA, what are the chances it will match up with anybody? It's not like the entire country has it's DNA on file somewhere.

could have been cut over for hay. This is very sad. Because of the location of how far back this may go I have to put Ray Gricar into the mix. PA VA MD DC....all close proximity.

But if they cut hay, the body/bones would have most likely been baled up in with the hay...right?

Wasn't Stacy Petersons mother last seen walking away with a bible? I know that it's far away....but the description was bothering me and then that light went off: stacy's mother was carrying a bible...I think it's really important that we find her...well and stacy of course.

Not many days go by that I dont think of her. I wonder if it's a family bible or if there is anything in it of value ie who it was given to; etc.

But if they cut hay, the body/bones would have most likely been baled up in with the hay...right?

I think that's how they're getting the 2007 date. If the body was there when the area was cut over and burned, somebody would have noticed it, so it must have been after that date when he killed himself.

Well the machine picks up the hay :) I don't think it would pick up the bones myself...I think they would have been scattered...by it. Depends what type of machinery used imo. So many cases lately of hunters finding bodies. It's so sad; a sad state of what our society is truly going through. People go missing and are dead and no one knows who they are; or why. That's so sad to me! It always makes my heart drop.

Possibly, depending on how weathered the tooth is. If they were intact in the jaw, they can probably get DNA, but if they were loose on the ground, they might have weathered too much.

But it's more likely that the local ME just didn't have the tools, expertise, and/or equipment to extract the DNA. Also, the process destroys part of the tooth, so they'd want to make sure they had all the photos, x-rays, reconstructions etc. finished before they performed the extraction.

I think there would be pulp if left in the jawbone; but then again the amount of years....it's dicey. 50 50 I'd say. :(

This just really bothers me (as all missing cases do) but anytime I read the ones here in my homestate of Virginia, it feels like someone in my family is missing. What could have been so bad in his/her life that they felt this was the only way out? Did they read scriptures in the Bible for comfort before they pulled the trigger? How do we even know it WAS a suicide? Ughhhhh!!! Too much death!!!

I think there would be pulp if left in the jawbone; but then again the amount of years....it's dicey. 50 50 I'd say. :(

One of the articles said that there was a controlled burn in the area, and the bones and articles of clothing showed signs of fire damage.

The fire probably destroyed any DNA that remained in the bones.

I have been searching for updates daily and nothing :-(

I have strange feeling the body has been there before 2007-ish (somehow over looked). It could be any of the missing persons you guys listed. The keys really throw me off in my search. Hopefully we will have some answers soon and the family will have some closure.

Me too, esp that items were found burned as well....

We need to focus on the jeep keys.

From the article: "Hansen Scobee Franklin, 35, of Alexandria is thought to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Louisa County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Jeff Sims. Investigators are still waiting for an official report from the medical examiner’s office in Richmond." http://www.thecentralvirginian.com/?p=11269

Interestingly, they traced him through a towed vehicle that was still in the tow company's possession.

Franklin's obit: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theadvocate/obituary.aspx?pid=169012908

He doesn't seem to have ever been reported missing.

:angel:

RIP Hansen Scobee Franklin

THAT drives me nuts. You know how many of these cases would be solved if the family or someone who cared took 5 minutes to report a missing person?!

From the article: "Hansen Scobee Franklin, 35, of Alexandria is thought to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Louisa County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Jeff Sims. Investigators are still waiting for an official report from the medical examiner’s office in Richmond." http://www.thecentralvirginian.com/?p=11269

Interestingly, they traced him through a towed vehicle that was still in the tow company's possession.

Franklin's obit: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theadvocate/obituary.aspx?pid=169012908

The date of death in the obit is the day the remains were found. But the car was towed in July 2012 which indicates he probably died (before) then. I guess they just need to have a date, but that seems weird to me.

Well the machine picks up the hay :) I don't think it would pick up the bones myself...I think they would have been scattered...by it. Depends what type of machinery used imo. So many cases lately of hunters finding bodies. It's so sad; a sad state of what our society is truly going through. People go missing and are dead and no one knows who they are; or why. That's so sad to me! It always makes my heart drop.

Sice this can be an indicator of time in other cases, cut over could also mean mowing with a tractor pulling a "bushhog" which is like a riding lawn mower but much, much larger with huge blades. It can cut small trees so it would be able to cut bones. It would make quite a noise and throw bones everywhere when it ran over it. In the case of hay, the hay is cut by the the same or similar method, then left for a few days before baling. Most likely someone would notice the bones after the grass was cut. If the hay is baled in the large, round bales, a machine then rolls the grass up in sheets and anything mixed in with the hay would get incorporated into the bale. With small square bales hay is swept in, compressed and then the machine attaches wire or twine to hold together. Bones could get picked up with either. They are big, thrashing, dangerous pieces of equipment. My dad once baled one of my Bantum hens that had a nest in the hay field. He noticed after he ran over her. The eggs were just starting to hatch and I raised her little chickens. (off topic) sorry.

Very happy this family got closure and were able to lay their relative to rest. Very sad that he was so unhappy that he took his life and lay out in the elements like that. :(

Sice this can be an indicator of time in other cases, cut over could also mean mowing with a tractor pulling a "bushhog" which is like a riding lawn mower but much, much larger with huge blades. It can cut small trees so it would be able to cut bones. It would make quite a noise and throw bones everywhere when it ran over it. In the case of hay, the hay is cut by the the same or similar method, then left for a few days before baling. Most likely someone would notice the bones after the grass was cut. If the hay is baled in the large, round bales, a machine then rolls the grass up in sheets and anything mixed in with the hay would get incorporated into the bale. With small square bales hay is swept in, compressed and then the machine attaches wire or twine to hold together. Bones could get picked up with either. They are big, thrashing, dangerous pieces of equipment. My dad once baled one of my Bantum hens that had a nest in the hay field. He noticed after he ran over her. The eggs were just starting to hatch and I raised her little chickens. (off topic) sorry.

Very happy this family got closure and were able to lay their relative to rest. Very sad that he was so unhappy that he took his life and lay out in the elements like that. :(

Aw, poor :chicken:

Still OT: my brother was working on a haying crew years back, stacking bales after they came out of the baler. He was on the truck and the other guy was on the ground handing bales up. The other guy lifted the bale -- and got bit by the rattlesnake that had been baled in with the hay :eek: (He recovered.)

May Hansen Rest in Peace. Here is another article about him:

http://www.thecentralvirginian.com/?p=11307

Is there a protocol regarding abandoned vehicles? It sounds as if the towing company impounded the Jeep by orders of LE and, lacking the keys, never opened it to find the registration and wallet inside (maybe by law they couldn't?)

After a certain time period passed without anyone calling to claim the vehicle, you'd think they'd be required to report back to LE, who could at least confirm the vehicle's owner's whereabouts. That could have solved this one a lot faster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back